24/96 Squeezeplay and External USB DAC

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
ilovemyjoggler

Re: 24/96 Squeezeplay and External USB DAC

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Don't get me wrong - this simple, minimal cable/equipment setup is infintely better than internal speakers and usually more than enough.
dec

Post by dec »

I've just recieved a USB DAC that I was hoping to use with my Joggler to playback 24/96-192 flac files.

I've had a search through this thread and I'm not 100% clear on how to install/enable this, on the software side (the 24/96-192? playback).

I saw this at post #15210 on the Squeezeplay OS Thread:
"offbeatdave wrote:
Hi roobarb,

Has the 'patch' functionality been removed from the current version?

I'm trying to add wilberforce's patches...
...Brilliant. Just did the usual post and then solve myself thing!

Ran
CODE: SELECT ALL
sudo apt-get update

and then
CODE: SELECT ALL
sudo apt-get install patch

and that did the trick!"
I understand I should enable 'External Interface' and disable the 'Master Output Limiter' once my DAC is connected (which I would do before turning on the device).

However I'm not sure what else is required to setup the Wilberforce/Triode-EDO app to support 24/96-192 files?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I've googled as much as I can but can't seem to find any clear instructions!
castalla

Post by castalla »

I see that many users have a usb soundcard to replace the audio out.

Are there any recommended cards - not more than 20 GBP - which work well?
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

If you're lucky on EBay or prepared to stretch your budget very slightly then a Behringer UAC202 would be my choice. They seem to go for around about 25-30 quid though.

There's load of cheapie ones on EBay based on, I believe, CMedia chips which I've heard do work but couldn't vouch for them personally.

Do you have a DAC or amp with an optical port. Its really easy to add an optical port, it's just 3 wires and even I successfully did it. Just a thought. I scavenged the port for mine from a knackered cheap DVD player so effectively free other than 30 minutes of my time with a soldering iron.
castalla

Post by castalla »

Thanks. I'll try one of the c-media ones first!
gegs

Post by gegs »

castalla wrote:I see that many users have a usb soundcard to replace the audio out.

Use the search facility on the forum, it's rather good. I have posted on this topic a few times and the information is there if you take the time to look.
castalla

Post by castalla »

Thanks - searching for usb soundcard gives 156 matches - most of which refer to 'soundcard' without any actual card details!

I was hoping someone who has a cheapo working reliably could give the details - apart from the Behringer most of the refs. seem to be hit'n'miss. Suppose it's a case of just trying something and hope it works!
gegs

Post by gegs »

Go back one page in this thread and you will see an image of the cheap C-Media chip soundcard referred to by JimbobVFR400. These work a treat, are very cheap and are a great introduction to the benefits of using a USB DAC. If you need more than a 3.5mm output, you'll need to get something like the Behringer UCA 202 which has 3.5mm, phono and optical S/PDIF outputs.

This is getting a little off-topic though because none of those cards are capable of 24/96 output.
castalla

Post by castalla »

Thanks - looks like it's pick'n'mix from Amazon as there are so many of these!

Over & out!
dec

24/96 Squeezeplay and External USB DAC

Post by dec »

castalla wrote:I see that many users have a usb soundcard to replace the audio out.

Hi. I've just bought this DAC from eBay:

http://bit.ly/18J0VIu

It's £29.99 - so above your price range, but it does claim to supports 24/192.

I've given it a quick test and have managed to get audio out of it. I still need to work on confirming that it support 24/192 playback.

It may be worth looking for similar items, that are 16bit 44/48 only which would probably be available for closer to £20 (or less?).

Keep an eye on what is provided, as my one comes without a power supply (or USB lead!). I was aware of this before and was able to use an old one from a router I no longer use.

Good luck searching!
castalla

Post by castalla »

Thanks for the info.
dec

Post by dec »

Wilberforce wrote:You just need to edit:

Code: Select all

~/.squeezeplay/userpath/settings/DesktopJive.lua 
with a text editor (nano/vi). Your dac is limited to 24/96 on the usb, so the patches aren't necessary. Do this with some sort of ssh client (putty?) - I believe you will have to install the ssh server via one of the menus in squeezeplay ('additional features' or whatever it ended up being named ;D)

added:

I imagine it will look like this for you:

settings = {mac="xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx",uuid="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx",alsaPlaybackDevice="plughw:1,0",alsaSampleSize=24,alsaPlaybackBufferTime=50000,alsaPlaybackPeriodCount=3,} 
note the:

alsaPlaybackDevice="plughw:1,0" 
and use the mac and uuid that are already in there.
Wilberforce:

Hi! I've been trying to get 24/192 playback, on an external DAC, from squeezeplay on my joggler running SpOS (fed from LMS on a Vortexbox).

If I select external player and remove the volume limit then I can get playback via my DAC (playing some test 24/192 FLAC files).

I would like to know what is necessary to ensure my system is feeding full 24/192 output to my DAC. I'm a little bit unsure what is necessary?

Do I need to edit DesktopJive.lua as per your post above?

Thanks!
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

dec wrote:
Wilberforce wrote:You just need to edit:

~/.squeezeplay/userpath/settings/DesktopJive.lua 
with a text editor (nano/vi). Your dac is limited to 24/96 on the usb, so the patches aren't necessary. Do this with some sort of ssh client (putty?) - I believe you will have to install the ssh server via one of the menus in squeezeplay ('additional features' or whatever it ended up being named ;D)

added:

I imagine it will look like this for you:

settings = {mac="xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx",uuid="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx",alsaPlaybackDevice="plughw:1,0",alsaSampleSize=24,alsaPlaybackBufferTime=50000,alsaPlaybackPeriodCount=3,} 
note the:

alsaPlaybackDevice="plughw:1,0" 
and use the mac and uuid that are already in there.
Wilberforce:

Hi! I've been trying to get 24/192 playback, on an external DAC, from squeezeplay on my joggler running SpOS (fed from LMS on a Vortexbox).

If I select external player and remove the volume limit then I can get playback via my DAC (playing some test 24/192 FLAC files).

I would like to know what is necessary to ensure my system is feeding full 24/192 output to my DAC. I'm a little bit unsure what is necessary?

Do I need to edit DesktopJive.lua as per your post above?

Thanks!

Nah, no need to do that, but you do need to patch your LMS (see http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... =40#p13446), otherwise, it will downsample anything above 96khz to 96khz.
dec

Post by dec »

Thank you for the reply! I was starting to wonder if anyone else was here! ;-)

I'll give it a try and post back. After a bit of further investigation, it looks like my cheap eBay dac only supports 24/192 through spdif. The USB port is limited to 16/48.

Still, better than the inbuilt speakers! :-)
danb79

Post by danb79 »

this might help some with soldering skills, when looking into usb sound cards especially these ones
i found the data sheet for the cm108 chip, it seems they can be put into speaker mode as well as headset? more volume? this might be useless but thought id post it just in case :?:
http://www.qsl.net/o/om3cph//sb/CM108_D ... t_v1.6.pdf

also found this £7.20 usb sound card 24/96 although the data sheet for the via vt1620a chip says it supports 192khz? would it work on the joggler?
http://www.ballicom.co.uk/sc010-sweex-- ... B5GMZDKMZQ

and the data sheet

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... TsrSJO3ZVw

sorry if i'm waffling on!!
dan1502

Post by dan1502 »

I am using the Joggler with Squeezeplay OS and EAO into an Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC without a powered hub. When fed hi-res files the Dragonfly is lighting up correctly and the information screen in respect of the DAC on the OS reads correctly. It sounds great, especially considering it is connected to my Arcam AV amp rather than the stereo system (stereo direct mode).

Anyway I have been getting pops and crackles so (and bear in mind I have no clue with Linux, I just follow instructions exactly) I amened the line as suggested by Wilberforce on page 6 (all on one line which I hope is correct) to stop the powersaving modes. I don't think that solved it but should have listened longer to be absolutely certain. So I have found the experimental buffer size adjustment and went for 'Very Large'.

Also note that the pops and crackles are on standard cd reolution files not just high res.

I'm testing this as I type but wondered whether it makes sense that this would help and also whether there are any disadvantages to a larger buffer size and how I should go about deciding which setting to choose?

Just to add I am connected by wifi but the 1000 Mbs test is fine.
dan1502

Post by dan1502 »

Having played the same tunes on my other system and swapped the buffer tuning between default and very large and very large randomised, I now think the very slight pops etc might well be on the recordings. I thought I'd best post this in case anyone thinks there's an issue using the Dragonfly.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

I have just joined to say a BIG thank you for all the information given out here.

It has enabled this accomplishment

and this

atb

Ronnie.
dan1502

Post by dan1502 »

I have just picked up an M2Tech Hiface 2 USB to Coax converter second hand. I have tried it between my HTPC and Benchmark DAC1 HDR and it is working fine. I am as yet undecided whether I will leave it connected to that system or use it with the Joggler (which I would connect with it to my Arcam AVR250 AV amp).

The EDO forum list suggests that no USB hub is required with a Squeezebox but I think I might need one with this but before I go and buy one I thought it would be worth posting to see if it might be something else.

On boot up the no DAC message comes up. The Hiface is not on the device list in audio settings. If I then remove the Hiface then plug it in again it appears with the correct information other than it says stopped. Usually when you select a device from the list it reboots with that device then set.

I am trying to find out if this is likely to be a different problem before I spend money on a USB hub (or USB cable with external power supply) and this information might also help those considering buying a Hiface 2.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Dan,

I also have the HiFace2 and have used it without a hub on my Touch.

It uses the same USB chip as the Mydac. I use this USB hub with the Joggler (originally suggested by Triode for use with the Touch)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-USB-2-0-Hu ... ds=usb+hub

When I was setting up my Joggler with the Mydac I also had the connection problem you have described, as I am a complete numpty with this Linux stuff I don't actually remember what I did to resolve the problem but I think it included several restarts of Squeezeplayer as well as plugging the hub in a few times.

Don't give up, it does work, search through the threads for the information you need (especially about applying the patch to LMS).

I still have to resolve the volume output, but as it's working I'll let it lie for a while until I can spend the time to resolve that minor inconvenience.

atb.

Ronnie.