New version of Connect and Play (uPnP) to test

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
offbeatdave

New version of Connect and Play (uPnP) to test

Post by offbeatdave »

Please could someone who used Connect and Play (uPnP) on a PnP III Joggler test this version of the app for me?
Telnet in and type in

Code: Select all

wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/77534245/installupnpv2.sh
sh ./installupnpv2.sh
rm installupnpv2.sh
It's from the OpenFrame2 version of the OpenPeak operating system and should launch from a purple icon.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
danjog2

Re: New version of Connect and Play (uPnP) to test

Post by danjog2 »

Hi, I'm far from the best person to try this, but I gave it a go - connected with WINSCP and went to /bin and opened a command window - I pasted in the first line of code, but got a Network is unreachable message.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Just navigate to the file with WinSCP, right-click on it & select Edit!
danjog2

Post by danjog2 »

Please forgive my slowness, for some reason this is a steep learning curve for me. Which file needs editing? This looks like a one off download and install rather than code that should permanently change a file?
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

danjog2 wrote:Please forgive my slowness, for some reason this is a steep learning curve for me. Which file needs editing? This looks like a one off download and install rather than code that should permanently change a file?
There aren't any files to edit. You need to telnet in (either via Windows Telnet command or using something like Putty) and type in the 3 lines show in the box. You shouldn't need WinSCP or to be fiddling with files.
pete

Post by pete »

Will give it a try on the master bedroom Joggler offbeatdave. I was having on and off issues with UPNP connected to TVersity and PlayonTV and XBMC; so I quit using it.
login as: root
root@192.168.244.142's password:
#
# wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/77534245/installupnpv2.sh
Connecting to dl.dropbox.com (107.22.161.187:80)
installupnpv2.sh 100% |*******************************| 948 0:00:00 ETA
# sh ./installupnpv2.sh
wget: can't open 'libUPnP.so': File exists
Connecting to dl.dropbox.com (23.21.215.124:80)
op_upnp.tar 100% |*******************************| 191k 0:00:00 ETA
op_upnp/
op_upnp/icon.swf
op_upnp/language.xml
op_upnp/main.swf
op_upnp/upnp.cookie
#
# rm installupnpv2.sh
#
Works; seeing all my UPNP players. Tried PlayOn TV for videos; checking right now.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
gegs

Post by gegs »

danjog2 wrote:Hi, I'm far from the best person to try this, but I gave it a go - connected with WINSCP and went to /bin and opened a command window - I pasted in the first line of code, but got a Network is unreachable message.
Why are you using WinSCP?

You'd be better to use PuTTY. Connect to your Joggler; once logged in, paste each line in individually followed by the return key. The "network unreachable" error may have been a valid one if the file couldn't be picked up from Dropbox. I'd give it another go.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I've just installed this and given it a spin. It looks quite like the old O2 Connect and Play but it found my devices quicker and loaded large collections much quicker too. I like the "does what it says on the tin" purple logo too.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

pete_c wrote:Will give it a try on the master bedroom Joggler offbeatdave. I was having on and off issues with UPNP connected to TVersity and PlayonTV and XBMC; so I quit using it.
login as: root
root@192.168.244.142's password:
#
# wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/77534245/installupnpv2.sh
installupnpv2.sh 100% |*******************************| 948 0:00:00 ETA
# sh ./installupnpv2.sh
wget: can't open 'libUPnP.so': File exists
Connecting to dl.dropbox.com (23.21.215.124:80)
op_upnp.tar 100% |*******************************| 191k 0:00:00 ETA
op_upnp/
op_upnp/icon.swf
op_upnp/language.xml
op_upnp/main.swf
op_upnp/upnp.cookie
#
# rm installupnpv2.sh
#
Works; seeing all my UPNP players. Tried PlayOn TV for videos; checking right now.
Note for others: The can't open libUPnP.so was just in case people haven't installed the required library on an OpenPeak'ed Joggler
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

gegs wrote:I've just installed this and given it a spin. It looks quite like the old O2 Connect and Play but it found my devices quicker and loaded large collections much quicker too. I like the "does what it says on the tin" purple logo too.
Thanks for the feedback - I've never actually used the Connect and Play function so couldn't test it (other than it seeing Logitech Media Servers on all my Jogglers).
danjog2

Post by danjog2 »

gegs wrote:
danjog2 wrote:Hi, I'm far from the best person to try this, but I gave it a go - connected with WINSCP and went to /bin and opened a command window - I pasted in the first line of code, but got a Network is unreachable message.
Why are you using WinSCP?

You'd be better to use PuTTY. Connect to your Joggler; once logged in, paste each line in individually followed by the return key. The "network unreachable" error may have been a valid one if the file couldn't be picked up from Dropbox. I'd give it another go.
Thanks used telnet and installed perfectly first time, works on audio, video and photos - finds upnp servers a lot more quickly and generally removes the whole "is it really working" aspect of trying to find servers using the old connect & play.

Thanks.

If someone could take pity on me and help me with my query raised here http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 805#p12805
I'd be grateful.

Thanks again.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Excellent news. Thanks for testing it. It's included in the current PnP III v3.046 and I've added the code to the opening post of the PnP III thread for folk to add it to existing installations.
gegs

Post by gegs »

offbeatdave wrote:Thanks for the feedback - I've never actually used the Connect and Play function so couldn't test it (other than it seeing Logitech Media Servers on all my Jogglers).
Thanks for this. It really is a great little method for accessing media from a NAS or shared folder.

Why couldn't you test it? If you've got a Windows machine, choose a folder with photos/video/music and make it shared to the network. I'm not sure how to do it on other Windows versions but on XP you right-click on a folder, choose "Properties", click the "Sharing" tab on the Properties dialogue and tick the box to make the folder shared. Easy peasy! The uPnP program should then be able to scan and find your content. It's even easier if you've got a NAS, the content will be found automatically.

The only niggle with watching video using uPnP is that there isn't a FF/REW facility as far as I know. You can pause and play but that's it when a video is playing. Tapping what looks like the FF/REW buttons will take you forward/back to the next video file, not forward/back in the video stream. Tapping the video stream itself will make it fullscreen and the controls will disappear.

If memory serves me correctly, I think there was once a hack that allowed FF/REW by swiping your finger left or right across the screen. It wasn't terribly accurate but I tried it with this version and it didn't work.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

gegs wrote:
Why couldn't you test it? If you've got a Windows machine, choose a folder with photos/video/music and make it shared to the network. I'm not sure how to do it on other Windows versions but on XP you right-click on a folder, choose "Properties", click the "Sharing" tab on the Properties dialogue and tick the box to make the folder shared. Easy peasy! The uPnP program should then be able to scan and find your content.
Yeah, really must make the effort to do this!
kiteman

Post by kiteman »

I've tried it on mine but doesn't seem to be working that well.

It can see the laptops in the house, but not my Diskstation.
It can also find the jogglers LMS(atom) but not the LMS on my Diskstation.
When it does find them I can't access any of the files. All I get is the the little spinning icon. On the odd occasion the Joggler reboots itself.
gegs

Post by gegs »

That's a pity; It works well with my iomega NAS which is, in other respects, rather crappy. I can't install LMS on it, for example, but I have no trouble accessing SMB shares from my Joggler.