[RELEASE] XBMC for O2 Joggler (discontinued)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: [RELEASE] XBMC for O2 Joggler

Post by BuZz »

just takes some time. should be fine.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Thanks BuZz.

(It took 23 hours...but despite a constant, albeit slow, display of various 'things' being installed nothing happened. The system tells me I'm still on xbmc 13 :lol: )

Has anyone successfully applied the 1 channel proxifier fix on a joggler? Won't work on my joggler but has worked on my laptop. Thanks

(Post Updated)
Last edited by ilovemyjoggler on Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

you wanted to downgrade to xbmc 12.2 from 13 alpha ?
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Yes please...

...investigating why the 1channel fix that works on my laptop gives me 'cannot connect to the network server' on my joggler (identical settings etc). Frustrating!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

assuming you are using my ppa might just be easiest to remove the joggler testing ppa from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ or /etc/apt/sources.list if it's in there and apt-get remove, then apt-get install xbmc. Sorry if these instructions are not clear, but im very short on time right now. where has the maintainer of the Joggler XBMC distro gone ? :)
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Yes I am (using your thingy I mean)

Don't worry, your instructions do make sense and I really appreciate your help. Ta! Will dig around a bit more for a solution before I do the downgrade. In case I screw up ;)

As for maintainer? Sadly disappeared but I'd love to see him back with an update of this OS!

EDIT: addon working again (yay) so downgrade delayed.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I have added XBMC 12.3 to the Joggler PPA. Should appear as an update.

http://xbmc.org/xbmc-12-3-frodo-fixes/
pete

Post by pete »

Buzz,

I have rebuilt one Joggler from scratch using your ext4 ubuntu base build then manually adding the XBMC stuff.

I am looking to stay within the realm of your Joggler PPA. I have it running well these days.

That said I didn't want to change the PPA and want to add the Video PVR / live TV streaming.

It works well with the base stuff if I keep the streaming to 720 or less on the O2 Joggler and the Joggler 2.

It would be nice though if I could adjust the mythTV box such that it did transcoding down to 720 on demand.

That said it works even better on the Joggler 3 with a Broadcom Crystal HD mini pcie card installed. (live and recording HD 1080 content with absolutely no stuttering).

The new XBMC and PVR drivers do work OK with my MythTV V.27 box as I am running 4 Linux XBMC boxes now using little Aopen Digital engines connected to standard LCD TVs around the house.

All of the above stuff though I can shrink down some and then post a new XBMC image for the Joggler forum users.

I have added stuff but trying to keep it small. Right now its sitting on an 8 Gb SSD USB stick.

I do keep adding and deleting stuff.
root@ICS-Jog1-XBMC:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/uba3 6.8G 2.2G 4.6G 32% /
udev 241M 4.0K 241M 1% /dev
tmpfs 99M 560K 98M 1% /run
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 247M 0 247M 0% /run/shm
/dev/uba1 61M 19M 43M 30% /boot
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

yeh the PVR stuff is not on our repo. I should probably add it, or add another repository that has it.

Which stick are you running there btw ?
pete

Post by pete »

Thank-you Buzz!

I am using my original Kingspec 8 Gb SSD USB sticks that I initially purchased to test the O2 Joggler.

You can also utilize the 16Gb version as it is the same footprint. Not sure on the 32 or 64 Gb versions of the Kingspec USB SSD stick.

I purchased a few of these a while ago (> 10?). I have had only one fail me over the last 2-3 years?

The Kingspec USB stick in its plastic case is too big for the O2 Joggler such that once you remove the case its a bit smaller than the USB wireless stick inside of the O2 Joggler.

I have also tested adding another internal USB port for the wireless and using the SSD USB stick for booting. Gets a bit warm but they both fit on the left side of the Joggler just fine. This involves a hardware modification.

This would allow the use of the Joggler for XBMC and still use the wireless and or wired NIC on the Joggler running XBMC.

An easier physical fit is utilizing both the ZIF SSD drive with a 15cm ZIF cable folded a bit and putting the ZIF drive over the USB wireless stick. It gets less warm and you have 16Gb to play with instead of 8Gbs. This doesn't involve any hardware modifications to the Openframe 1.0 devices but rather just an EFI modification to the mmc efi boot partition that is built into the 1 Gb MMC soldered into place.

I am also using 16Gb SSD ZIF drives on the other Openframe 1.0 boxes. These are running Linux via EFI boot or Windows via seabios boot. Linux works better in that it always sees the NIC card where as I have had to add an Asix NIC card to the windows boxes for wired networking.

Still have the issue of EFI booting first to the ZIF drive versus the MMC or USB stick boot stuff. I did update one box to the newer EFI booting which is even nicer than the original EFI boot stuff (it has a fancier GUI for booting).
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Goofing around a bit with XBMC.

Initial size of utilized partition before telling it to DB my music and video NAS stuff was:

Before
root@ICS-Jog1-XBMC:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/uba3 6.8G 2.2G 4.6G 32% /
Not done yet
root@ICS-Jog1-XBMC:~# df -l
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/uba3 7027600 3153332 3874268 45% /
Still going
/dev/uba3 7027600 3510136 3517464 50% /

I am looking to compare numbers between this box and the other boxes using mysql DB on one box shared by all of the other XBMC boxes. 13% more of the partition is a big number for the information on the DB.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I found this blog post from iLLiac the Xbmc dev from this thread
http://bite-in.com/?p=23
it looks like an update might be on the cards ; it would be very welcome I am sure :-)
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

The picture at the top of his blog looks very much like a Lisbon tram unless I'm mistaken....
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

My little lad would love a go in one of those , it looks a lovely place :-)
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

#28 tram is a must! http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction ... adura.html (is this off-topic? :-) )
pete

Post by pete »

Interesting.....

End XBMC DB usage relating to the music and video and picture DB was:
root@ICS-Jog1-XBMC:~# df -l
/dev/uba3 7027600 3548892 3478708 51% /
Such that the total DB use was some 51%-31% = 20% of the entire build that I have running.

Now testing streaming of inhouse video content. Works great with SD and 720HD movies but really bad with 1080HD movies (unless I am using the Joggler 3 with the Broadcom Crystal HD min pcie card).

Now moving on to streaming live TV using my base MythTV box and now a few of the HDHomerun boxes using cable TV and OTA TV. I also have a Nexus satellite card inside of the MythTV box...btw.

I am still using the SSD USB 8Gb stick. The base image is less than 2Gb without the DB stuff.

I am though too having issues with the new PVR build for my MythTV PVR box V.27. I have it working perfectly with two of the Ubuntu XBMC boxes and not at all with two other boxes running the newest XBMC builds which is driving me nuts right now.

BTW and unrelated to OP...but related to last post....

Here too I am playing today with a new RGB controller. The company (owner) in HKG has sent me a beta test unit. It now works via wireless and TTL. That said I prefer to utilize it on the wire versus wireless at this time and will most likely control it via a TTS to RS-232 device.

Here though taking the whole LED lighting thing approach differently. I have today converted all my outdoor low voltage lighting to 12VDC LED lamps (> 100 lamps today) separated by multiple DIN mounted 12VDC power supplies.

I also have EL lighting in the house but its using 120VAC and looking to convert that to 12VDC.

The mixture of LV EL, LED (regular and RGB) lighting will be sourced though from one area of 12VDC lighting power controlled at the 12VDC level rather than the currently lighting control at the 120VAC lighting level.

The goal here though will be to convert all outdoor lighting initially to 12VDC and automating it at the 12VDC level.

From here then powering the outdoor lighting with 12VDC storage batteries (IE: automobile batteries) and charging 12VDC batteries with solar cells (cheap to do these days).

Another BTW is that my current touchscreens run off the base 12VDC alarm voltage with batteries and charger on one automation system. That and I have been using UPS's with my POE 24 port midstream power injector for the Joggler stuff which works well these days.

The images of the box below is related to a beta test of sorts. I am using some 6 DIN power supplies here. The beta was a project of sorts for a landscaping endeavor for gardens and stuff including RGB controllers for fountains et al. This project though involved much more stone cutting of walks etc. The client used Kichler LED lighting which was really expensive. Total project costs to date is closer to some 50 K USD at this time and not done yet. It is though all LED lighting and RGB lighting right now.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

OK so I did a manual MythTV build. I got it working on the Joggler. Just a side note many OTA television stations here in Chicago are broadcasting same HD channels in SD which works just fine relating to streaming live TV on the Joggler.

This is what I did:
wget https://github.com/fetzerch/xbmc-pvr-ad ... /frodo.zip
unzip frodo.zip
sudo apt-get install autoconf libtool g++
sudo apt-get install libboost-all-dev libmysqlclient-dev
cd /createdPVRdirectory
./bootstrap
./configure --enable-addons-with-dependencies
make zip
The make zip piece takes a while.

I have attached the build here. Note that this is working on the Joggler.

Steps here to get it working with current Joggler XBMC build.

1 - built the above PVR driver
2 - disabled TV PVR functions with remote on XBMC
3 - disabled MythTV
4 - uninstalled MythTV plugin using XBMC GUI
5 - installed MythTV plugin using XBMC GUI from the build above
6 - enabled XBMC MythTV Plugin
7 - streaming Live TV now from MythTV box.
8 - Note: this is now XBMC MythTV plugin Version V 1.6.13

I've attached the MythTV PVR plugin in a double zip. Unzip it twice. Copy it over to the temp directory.

Doing a quickie test right now streaming live TV from 3 other XBMC boxes plus the Joggler. Recorded content works the best. Live TV works in 720 mode broadcast and SD 480 mode broadcast. 1080 HD works but freezes up right awy.
Attachments
stuff.zip
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 215 times
- Pete

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

there is a PVR package on my repository btw. forgot I put it there. However looks like main xbmc doesnt need joggler patches anymore, so Ill likely ditch my xbmc builds and use official ones. will be looking at this tomorrow.
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Buzz.

I want to include that great Joggler XBMC build that you made for this build and cannot find it anymore; IE: its a memory / age issue with me.

Looking for it here: (I see the new PVR builds)

/joggler/ubuntu/pool/main/x

Relating to your PVR builds are you using the ones from here:

https://github.com/fetzerch/xbmc-pvr-addons/

The related MythTV XBMC downloaded stock new XBMC builds MythTV PVR stuff doesn't work with MythTV V.27. Just V.26 and below.

I built a new PVR addon manually from the following:

https://github.com/fetzerch/xbmc-pvr-addons/

Attached is a zip of a bunch of zipped PVR plugins built from the above.

I compressed it twice but its still too big to upload at almost 7 Mb.
- Pete

Auto mater
ttherapo

Post by ttherapo »

is it possible to boot this from device instead of usb device, using for example reflash tool?