[RELEASE] XBMC for O2 Joggler (discontinued)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
iLLiac4

[RELEASE] XBMC for O2 Joggler (discontinued)

Post by iLLiac4 »

So here you have new image XBMC for O2 Joggler

This XBMC for O2 Joggler release will directly boot into XBMC. It has no GUI for linux installed, so it is as lightweight as possible. It eats only around 100Mb of RAM, boots really fast and it is build on Btrfs filesystem. The base for this distribution was Ubuntu Base/Server 12.04 LTS (Precise) (Joggler Image v1.1 - 17/06/2012) from BuZZ.

I wanted to build as small as possible distribution for O2 Joggler with XBMC, which should have WAF (wife acceptance factor) at least 8 ;) , but there were no available, so I have made a custom one. I hope you will enjoy it. Also feel free to mode it, but do not sell it on e-Bay ;)

In this distribution 'XBMC for O2 Joggler' the following things are included:
- auto-run XBMC build,
- preinstalled addons (youtube, icefilms, tube+, radio, shoucast,...) with modules applied,
- auto-updating of all included addons due to already added repositories,
- build in script for reboot under 'programs/executor' section,
- already integrated touch optimized skins with long press touch support,
- pre-configured advancedsettings.xml with dirty region enable feature,
- remote control over browser (http://ip_of_joggler),
- working remote controller for Android (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Of ... BMC_Remote),
- working sleep/turn off for LCD screen (adjustable under XBMC GUI),
- already applied Overheating / Throttling modification,
- presetted 'intel_idle.max_cstate=2' to avoid interference / pops / clicks in audio output,
- applied latest patches from repository,
- lightweight and fast booting image (eats only around 100 Mb of RAM),
- integrated autostart VNC for easy visual remote management,
- integrated latest alsamixer,
- integrated ssh server for remote management over SSH,
- DHCP for LAN (wired) connection,
- DHCP for wireless connection,
- easy manage wireles connection from inside of XBMC,
- AirPlay support,
- SAMBA integrated,
- XSgueeze player addon integrated with dependecies,
- .flac file support,
- more to come....

Some additional infos:
- this image has enabled root account!!!! If you want you can disable it or. change default password.

Code: Select all

Username: root
Password: joggler
- default password for 'joogler' account is:

Username: joggler
Password: joggler
- to set your timezone login into terminal and enter:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
- for easy remote management you can use:
- Putty - terminal (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html)
- WinSCP - visual file management tool (http://winscp.net/eng/download.php)
- VNC Viewer (http://www.uvnc.com/download/1082/1082viewer.html)

Installation (Windows):
XBMC for O2 Joggler will fit on most 2GB USB and SD cards ((1.990.520.832 bytes). I have made it as small as possible.
Download image and uncompress it with (7Zip, WinRAR,...). Get Win32DiskImager from https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/0.1/0.1. Then unpack the .img.gz file using 7-zip or. WinRAR. Run W32DiskImager.exe, and select the unpacked .img file. Choose the drive of your USB stick, SD card and press 'Write' to write the image.

ATM the image is in 'beta' stage because there is still some work to do. Bugs are possible because I have only one Joggler and was able to test only on them. REPORT BUGS :)

I hate using download services since megauplaod is down and all free downloads are now limited to 20kb/s, so I have registered domain and did some hosting stuff for faster download. To cover the costs for domain costs please consider making a small donation. TNX
Donation link: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... LBWXQS3PCL

DOWNLOAD and REVISION HISTORY of XBMC for O2 Joggler:

XBMC for O2 Joggler v0.9
Download: http://bite-in.com/joggler/i4_XBMC_v0.9.rar

What is new:
- added AirPlay support (tested with iPad to send music, photos, videos and it works great),
- added .flac file play support,
- added samba support, so you can easy copy files from PC to Joggler (by default it works with WORKGROUP. If you are using other name, you have to edit file /etc/samba/smb.conf. Also by default it shares /media/ folder),
- added gui option to enable debugging under XBMC,
- added repository for TVCatchup,
- added Fusion repository (Go under setting/add-ons/install from zip file/select Fusion)
- added repository installer addon,
- removed addons Icefilms, 1Channel, Tube+, Navi-X because of some legal stuff according to XBMC community rules (you can always easy add them by yourself),
- addon XSqueeze can now auto-find Squeezebox media server (there are no touch buttons, but maybe developer will integrate them or. will try to code it by myself). I have also tested it to control it over iPad, Android and it is working without problems (test were done with original Logitech software). Also I think the crashing was caused by some missing dependencies, what I have also fixed in version v0.9. It is ATM hard to use player on XBMC forO2 Joggler because of missing touch buttons on player interface but hopefully this will soon change.

To do:
- First I have decided not to include TVHeadend into the image by default but short how to will follow, someday :?: , because I want to keep the distro as small as possible and not everybody needs TV backend.
- I want to build auto updating distribution so the changes will be applied automatically. Do not to expect this in short.

XBMC for O2 Joggler v0.8
Download: http://bite-in.com/joggler/i4_XBMC_v0.8.rar
Whats new:
- fixed bug with not getting IP from DHCP when using LAN cable,
- now both wired and wireless should work,
- it is now possible to have two IPs at the same time (one on wireless and one on ethernet) - Only recommended for management,
- XBMC plugin for network management is fully usable now.

To do:
- some small tweaks and bug fixes,
- brightness settings for LCD,
- maybe integration of TVHeadend client for DVB-T reception.

XBMC for O2 Joggler v0.7
Download: no need for it anymore
Whats new:
- fixed bug causing crash of XBMC when using weather refresh,
- fixed script error when using 1Channel addon,
- added new modules into XBMC for better addon integraton,
- integrated XSqueeze as requested (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:XSqueeze),
- integrated Network-Manager to manage wireless connections for those using Wi-Fi from inside XBMC (Located under Programs).

To do:
- wired network is not working right. This release v0.7 will work with wireless network, but I can not promise that it will work with LAN.

Initial beta release v0.6
Download: no need for it anymore

Image Image
Image Image
Last edited by iLLiac4 on Tue May 28, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 33 times in total.
iLLiac4

Re: [RELEASE] XBMC distribution for O2 Joggler

Post by iLLiac4 »

Reserved
ilovemyjoggler

Re: [RELEASE] XBMC for O2 Joggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

This is absolutely fantastic news. Well done - you've probably made a few people very happy indeed! (and you're using my favourite skin too :) )

I just have a few questions. You say the wifi is not working yet. Due to it's location this joggler is wifi only - I'm guessing that means that I would get the image as is and not be able to have any further add-ons or update add-ons at the moment unless I hook it up to my router?

Also, I really want to be able to get roobarb!s squeezeplay on this joggler. Would there be a simple way for me to download it onto this os?

Finally, what does it mean to have root account enabled and why might I consider disabling? Sorry!

Thanks again.
iLLiac4

Post by iLLiac4 »

Wifi is not working ATM at least not user friendly.
I will describe how you can get it run already now :)

With root account you can do everything so you have to now what are you doing. For example login as root with WinSCP and you can edit all files without restrictions. Some gurus do not like that.

About Squeezeplay... not there yet I have my joggler only few days ;) but never say never.

Cheers
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

This looks fantastic! The ability to launch Squeezeplay would be the icing on the cake. Does this help? http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pi ... 3pid670472
iLLiac4

Post by iLLiac4 »

I was thinking in direction to run it from inside XBMC with some scripting as I have already implemented possibility to launch scripts from inside XBMC. It could work the way from XBMC into Squeezeplay, but then it must be done also in reverse order, so from Squeezeplay into XBMC. Maybe will try in few days after I am done with polishing XBMC for O2 Joggler.

I know that people would mostly like to use both of those services so I will try my best and will hopefully succeed to offer you both services in one installation something like kinderuberaschung ;)

Feel free to donate ;) and report bugs.
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

This looks excellent and will make a lot of people very happy!!

With regards wifi management have you tried the Network Manger (this is what is currently used to enable wifi on RaspBMC);

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ad ... rk-Manager

Also with regards Squeezeplay, you could have a look at this;

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=122199
iLLiac4

Post by iLLiac4 »

I think I have solved the network with wireless and wired LAN. Now both are working (DHCP). You can now also have two IP adresses at the same time. Configurable from inside XBMC (wireless).
Image will be available tomorrow for download.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Wow
I am so excited about this new release , thanks for bringing this to the joggler iLLiac4 :-)
I can't wait to get home to give this a try. ..
Cheers I am a very happy Bunny ...
Happy Joggling
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

hawsey wrote:Wow
I am so excited about this new release , thanks for bringing this to the joggler iLLiac4 :-)
I can't wait to get home to give this a try. ..
Cheers I am a very happy Bunny ...
Hawsey, been thinking of you since I saw this this morning! :D You'll probably beat me to it so it'll be good to know how you get on.
iLLiac4

Post by iLLiac4 »

spoyser wrote:This looks excellent and will make a lot of people very happy!!

With regards wifi management have you tried the Network Manger (this is what is currently used to enable wifi on RaspBMC);

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ad ... rk-Manager

Also with regards Squeezeplay, you could have a look at this;

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=122199

Will add into the next version.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Got this up and running and it is all looking very good so far :-)
thank you kindly sir , donation following pay day ;-)
I couldn't get on line with it but had a good play with the skins e.t.c and a lot of work has gone in to setting this up , I can't tell .
Leaving it on tonight to test it , will get my powerline adapters out of the loft tomorrow to see if I can get on line and get it all set up .
Cheers
Happy Joggling
iLLiac4

Post by iLLiac4 »

So here is new build XBMC for O2 Joggler version 0.7.

Whats new:
- fixed bug causing crashing of XBMC when using weather refresh,
- fixed script error when using 1Channel addon,
- added new modules into XBMC,
- integrated XSqueeze as requested (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:XSqueeze),
- integrated Network-Manager to manage wireless connections for those using Wi-Fi from inside XBMC (Located under Programs).

To do:
- wired network is not working right. This release v0.7 will work with wireless network, but I can not promise that it will work with LAN.
Last edited by iLLiac4 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Thanks so much for your hard work - I'll be giving this a go tonight!

Just out of curiosity, as I'm still new to xbmc and i've not heard of XSqueeze, is it different to roobarb!s squeezeplay?
Last edited by ilovemyjoggler on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

So this is ubuntu based right, Could you not launch roobarbs squeezeplay with advanced launcher? you could then give this browser support also. This was something I was going to do a little while back but time constraints stopped me lol
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
iLLiac4

Post by iLLiac4 »

Another new build of XBMC for O2 Joggler version 0.8.

Whats new:
- fixed bug with not getting IP from DHCP when using LAN cable,
- now both wired and wireless should work,
- it is now possible to have two IPs (one on wireless and one on ethernet) - Only recommended for management,
- XBMC plugin for network management is fully usable now.

To do:
- some small tweaks and bug fixes,
- integrate AirPlay into it (in my Joggler it already works, so tomorrow maybe another version),
- brightness settings for LCD,
- maybe integration of TVHeadend client for DVB-T reception.

Do not forget to donate so I can cover the hosting costs. TNX.
Last edited by iLLiac4 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leepea

Post by leepea »

Excellent work! Never used XBMC on any device before but I may give this a go to see how it runs. Also, what program are you using to get your Joggler screen displayed on your PC? Thanks.
iLLiac4

Post by iLLiac4 »

leepea: Also, what program are you using to get your Joggler screen displayed on your PC?
VNC viewer. Everything is on first post ;)
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Hello. I thought I'd try this out (v0.8) tonight but am having a bit of trouble and can't get it to work. I may be doing something wrong. I've added wifi details in programs and it says I'm connected but it isn't downloading anything - is there a step I'm not doing? Thanks.

Edit: It says 'busy' in the top right hand corner - not sure if that is relevant. I'm also getting quite a few script errors (due to wifi connection?).
Last edited by ilovemyjoggler on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Loving this , cheers , I have had 0.7 running all day , nice and sweet , no issues over ethernet .Will be trying 0.8 tomorrow night late on possibly over wireless and report back .
Happy Joggling