[RELEASE] XBMC for O2 Joggler (discontinued)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
jimeney

Re: [RELEASE] XBMC for O2 Joggler

Post by jimeney »

ttherapo wrote:is it possible to boot this from device instead of usb device, using for example reflash tool?
This build is too big, but there's nothing stopping you from installing XBMC to sqpOS (installed to eMMC) and boot to this instead (which I do on one of my jogglers)
ttherapo

Post by ttherapo »

Thank you fro your reply, but as my English are not tha goood, as well as the terminology you are using, i would like some more info on what you mean by saying: installing XBMC to sqpOS (installed to eMMC) and boot to this instead (which I do on one of my jogglers). What is sqpOS(squeezeplay os?) installed to eMMC (internal memory?) and how do i do that?

I know i know nothing, but i am willing to learn....
trumee

Post by trumee »

The packaged version of xbmc is old. How can i upgrade to the latest stable version (Frodo)?
pete

Post by pete »

installing XBMC to sqpOS (installed to eMMC) and boot to this instead (which I do on one of my jogglers).
What is sqpOS(squeezeplay os?) installed to eMMC (internal memory?) and how do i do that?
The sqpOS is a 1Gb build which will fit to the internal memory (eMMC) of the O2 Joggler.

To replace the current O2 Joggler firmware you download the build and write it to a memory stick. You then boot up the O2 Joggler with the USB memory stick. It writes the new operating system to the internal memory (eMMC) Joggler O2 device.
The packaged version of xbmc is old. How can i upgrade to the latest stable version (Frodo)?
This version of XBMC will not fit on the 1Gb internal eMMC. It is very tight at 2Gb.

That said it's easy to get the newest Frodo running on your Joggler via a USB stick. You write Buzz's provided base Ubuntu image on to the USB stick.

You boot up with said image and just install XBMC following the XBMC wiki for Ubuntu.

To utilize both Squeezeplay and XBMC you will need to "create" a memory stick with the two applications.

A 4Gb memory stick should be fine.

The two aforementioned applications together will not fit on the smaller built in 1Gb of eMMC memory.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
trumee

Post by trumee »

pete wrote:
This version of XBMC will not fit on the 1Gb internal eMMC. It is very tight at 2Gb.

That said it's easy to get the newest Frodo running on your Joggler via a USB stick. You write Buzz's provided base Ubuntu image on to the USB stick.

You boot up with said image and just install XBMC following the XBMC wiki for Ubuntu.

To utilize both Squeezeplay and XBMC you will need to "create" a memory stick with the two applications.

A 4Gb memory stick should be fine.

The two aforementioned applications together will not fit on the smaller built in 1Gb of eMMC memory.
I prefer this distro rather than Buzz's release because this is pretty lightweight. Ho can i use Buzz's xbmc repository with this distro?
trumee

Post by trumee »

I able to use xbmc 13.0 from https://launchpad.net/~jools/+archive/j ... /+packages

However, i am still looking for the 12.3 stable release.
pete

Post by pete »

Yup; actually fit this original one on the Openframe 7 device MMC of 2Gb.

That said I filled the 2Gb partition up in a day having it scan my media making it not really function well. I also was streaming live video with said build an an added Broadcom Crystal HD card in the Openframe 7.

Ideally and just related to the Openframe 7 device; a 16 Gb SSD plus the HD card would make for a nice little tabletop XBMC box with streaming live TV stuff. (well MythTV is all I have tested plus HDHomerun stuff).

I currently have it running on Buzz's XBuntu 12.10 build using a ZIF connected 16Gb SSD and it is doing well except I can only stream 720 on the original O2 and Openframe 1.0 devices well. That said though I have multiple SD internal TV live channels here that work well. (Sources here for Live TV are OTA, Cable and Satellite).
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I used to have a newer xbmc on my joggler ppa, but with my last images re-working i removed it, as I was going to switch to a standard xbmc build without my touchscreen hack - as it seemed to work ok on one of my jogglers. someone reported to me some problems with it so I may have to recheck. you can add the official xbmc ppa though.

you will need to remove existing xbmc and then re-install

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HO ... nux#Ubuntu
pete

Post by pete »

Actually on the standard XMBC build and only relating to the use of MythTV the MythTV plugin only is good up to V.26 of MythTV.

You have to manually upgrade the PVR plugin for V.27 of MythTV like so:
unzip frodo.zip
apt-get install autoconf libtool g++
apt-get install libboost-all-dev libmysqlclient-dev
apt-get install make
apt-get install pkg-config
apt-get install libavcodec
apt-get install ffmpeg
cd xbmc-pvr-addons-frodo
./bootstrap
./configure --enable-addons-with-dependencies
make zip
Once the ZIP file is created you add it like any other zip file / plugin add to XBMC.

The original one is version 1.6.10 and the newer one is version 1.6.13. It is attached; nope its too big at 5 Mb.

Maybe its some 15 minutes to get the final plugin; which isn't too much time.

I have now utilized this created PVR for MythTV on all of my XBMC boxes and it works well with MythTV V.27.

Note I am not sure how many folks are doing the PVR stuff / streaming live TV with the Jogglers though.

That and I do not know if the MythTV XBMC plugin version 1.6.13 works with MythTV V.26 or below. I updated mine a few months back and noticed a disconnect with XBMC. I think is is related to the MythTV DB structure / schema updating on V.27.

I am currently running it on Buzz's latest and greatest XUbuntu 12.10 build.
- Pete

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I have re-added xbmc 12.3 with the Joggler touchscreen fix to my Joggler PPA to people running the XBMC distro will be able to update to it again.

I will be providing Gotham builds when the final is out, and maybe a beta before on my Joggler-Testing ppa.
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Hi...
Did someone get good performance of XBMC on SqueezePlay OS?
I install it on version 2 it runs but very slow...
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

That's because the latest squeezeplay OS has no 3d acceleration opting for the open source graphics driver (afaik)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

'Tis true. BuZz's releases are definitely the way to go for XBMC or any hardware accelerated stuff.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

Hi, due to some excellent help I have got a joggler running SqueezeOS.

Now I am trying this XBMC on another joggler and I'm not really sure what to do with it...

I read through all 14 pages, and not really clued in, perhaps my brain is sleeping but...

- how do I play any media? when i do add video for example, I choose NFS and can see my NAS IP address listed, and click on it and nothing happens...
- how can i see my IP more easily? I have to turn on a computer and do cmd -> ping joggler to find the IP
- When I exit, the screen doesn't turn off, I get stripes on it, and then no way to turn the system back on again... not sure what I am doing wrong.
- How do you implement this? If you use VNC, then you may as well use the computer to play the media, and there is no video out on the joggler, so do people use this to just watch tiny low res TV?

interested to find out how I could make use of this, once I know what use it is ;-)

Thanks

Dave
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

My previous post was perhaps a bit light on details, so I got vnc running to take some screenshots.

First thing i noticed is that in a list like this
scroll.jpg
You can scroll in VNC with mouse, however not with the finger on the screen

So I noticed in video page, that there is no "add source" button
1. no add link.jpg
However in music there is
2. add link.jpg
When I browser NFS, i can see my NAS, and then I can see my shared folders, however when I click on one...
5. brows nfs.jpg
6. browse failed.jpg
Same with SMB
5. brows nfs.jpg
6. browse failed.jpg
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

I also tried xSqueeze

When it loads (I have chosen my LMS) I see nothing, and no way to get out of the screen (in VNC you can right click, however on device no way out I can find)
3. no music.jpg
I went to my LMS and could find the player listed, so it definitely connects, and when I use the LMC to play to the player, that works, although the screen is not great.
4. music.jpg
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

@wcndave

This image is out of date which might be why some bits aren't working? Have you tried updating it? I can't help with video sharing as I don't use xbmc that way - somebody else will, I'm sure, give you tips. I use it as a tiny tv/radio/music player in my cooking corner and it works well.

The version of xsqueeze that you seem to be using is also out of date. I use a more recent version of it almost every day. It easily finds LMS which I have running on a different joggler using squeezeplay OS. It can be controlled via touchscreen (which, if I remember correctly, has to be enabled in the settings?) and can be switched off by clicking the cross in the top right hand corner. However, I find it's best controlled via the squeezebox controller app on my phone rather than via touch or mouse.
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

I thought I was using the latest image.can you confirm where I can find it.? Thanks
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

This is the most recent image but it's almost 2 years old. The version of xbmc on this is Eden and AFAIK peeps seem to be using the next release, Frodo (or even the next one Gotham).

As for updating xbmc not sure if this is still relevant but worth a try?

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 180#p16616

If successful, I imagine you'll probably need to update the addons too.

Xsqueeze on Eden was not the happiest of marriages. I think I read somewhere recently that support for xsqueeze is on the way out. I've as yet to find anything that matches the brilliance of roobarb's squeezeplay.
ilovemyjoggler

Re: [RELEASE] XBMC for O2 Joggler (discontinued)

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

I have finally got round to updating this os. I have updated it to xbmc 13.2, removed unused /unnecessary libraries and addons leaving it with only the newest version of iplayer and xsqueeze which I've tested and they work well. It seems to run fairly fast. On opening putty it tells me I can update to ubuntu 14. I'm tempted to do this but am wary that things may stop working. Is anyone using xmbc on ubuntu 14 and does it work ok? Are there any advantages?