[RELEASE] XBMC for O2 Joggler (discontinued)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Kruger

Re: [RELEASE] XBMC for O2 Joggler

Post by Kruger »

How do I adjust the time on this , I can adjust the region ok just cant find out how to adjust the actual time
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

You can't set the time, it is set automatically if there is an internet connection.
pete

Post by pete »

Sean, Thank-you for providing this release of XBMC for the Joggler O2!

I installed the entire OS you wrote on the 2 Gb flash of the OpenPeak II device over a month ago and it is working well and its all self contained!

A couple of nights ago I did rip apart a "broken" OpenPeak II device to see exactly what's inside. That said it does include a PATA port for a ZIF connected SSD plus it has a PCiE socket for more hardware. That said I can now utilize more stuff inside of the device to run XBMC should I decide to.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

EDIT: sorted by updating to frodo.
Kruger

Post by Kruger »

I've definitley got wifi because my joggler is connected to my upstairs box but

1- Date is stuck at Jan 2005
2 - I cant seem to download any add ons,

How do I update to frodo
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Kruger wrote:I've definitley got wifi because my joggler is connected to my upstairs box ...
despite appearances it may not be connected. To get wifi to work you need to connect to the internet with an ethernet cable, set your wifi in network manager while connected via cable, then while it's still on/connected (play something to be sure) pull the cable out.
Kruger

Post by Kruger »

Its definitely connected to my Rpi with openelec on it, because I can play my music on the joggler using samba share
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

While this os seems to locate stuff on your network it doesn't connect to the outside world unless you take the steps mentioned. Check out the first couple of pages of this thread.

I'll be the first to admit I know jack about the all things IT so I could be wrong but it might be worth a shot?
Kruger

Post by Kruger »

Well I tapped on network manager and it did connect to internet and plugins are now working , but I have now lost my samba share lol, I'll just persevere till I get it,
How did you update to frodo
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Kruger wrote:How did you update to frodo
Truth be told I didn't know what I was doing and eventually mucked it up so hopefully someone else will advise us both. I'm a little surprised that no-one's posted a 'how to' already.

I had no choice but to move away from Eden as my addons kept breaking so I chanced updating to xbmc 13 instead by following the instructions in the first post here...

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=850

It's only meant for testing but my set up is simple and doesn't link to any external drives - I had nothing to lose. After almost 2 weeks of every day use xbmc 13 has been absolutely fine.

Edit: btw, i'm not suggesting a move to xbmc 13 - I was desperate!
Last edited by ilovemyjoggler on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

xbmc frodo is in my main joggler repository, so from a terminal

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
will give you the latest version. the thread with dev/beta builds has the next upcoming xbmc (xbmc 13) which is currently in alpha.
Kruger

Post by Kruger »

BuZz wrote:xbmc frodo is in my main joggler repository, so from a terminal

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
will give you the latest version. the thread with dev/beta builds has the next upcoming xbmc (xbmc 13) which is currently in alpha.
How do i do this , I used putty and SSH ,logged in and used these commands, and after 45min or so I'm still on eden,
although it did look like something was being upgraded
touchstone

Post by touchstone »

Kruger wrote:
BuZz wrote:xbmc frodo is in my main joggler repository, so from a terminal

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
How do i do this , I used putty and SSH ,logged in and used these commands, and after 45min or so I'm still on eden,
although it did look like something was being upgraded
Try using "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" instead of "upgrade".
touchstone

Post by touchstone »

Are there any tricks involved XBMC to play 1080i video smoothly?

I'm using the myth:// video source to access a 0.25.3 myth server, via wired ethernet. SD recordings are fine. But 1080i MPEG2 recordings (from an HDHomerun Prime) are very jerky and the video lags a few seconds behind the audio. It's slightly better with VAAPI acceleration off. Either way, I'm only getting ~10fps rendering, even less with deinterlacing enabled. Mythfrontend can play these recordings with vaapi, but only using the opengl painter, which garbles the menus and OSD.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

mplayer can do 1920x1080 h264 with enough cache and vaapi. with xbmc and h264, I've only managed 720p really (using vaapi). the video acceleration on emgd driver isn't perfect really. I've not done much testing with mpeg2 though.
pete

Post by pete »

Here I had been playing a bit with MthTV (3 internal tuners) and HDHomerun on the network cable tuner. I haven't played lately with it though.

I can stream via XBMC up to 720p from the HSHomerun tuners directly just fine.
MythTV struggles a bit unless I go to 720P or 480p streaming on the Joggler.

That said though I rebroadcast SD video still internally such that I can just leave one source on one channel and see it fine in SD mode via XBMC which really would provide me with a live TV whatever streaming on the Joggler.

Your post got me to order a mini PCiE BCM HD decoder card for the Openframe 2 device to see what happens when I stream 1080p with it installed.
Attachments
Pic-2a.jpg
Pic-1a.jpg
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
touchstone

Post by touchstone »

I'd think that mplayer would be able to handle a 1080i h264 or mpeg2 stream from mythweb just fine. But with "mplayer -vo vaapi -va vaapi", the video lags a couple seconds behind the audio. When I added -framedrop, the video started jumping way ahead of the audio, not smoothly.

I noticed that since the build in the joggler-testing PPA was last updated on April 7, a developer named BtbN has made several recent VAAPI-related commits to master (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/2460, https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/2599) . Maybe there'll be some improvement in the near future.
LukeH

Post by LukeH »

Hi

I have just registered so that I could say a big thanks to iLLiac4 for making this available. I was looking for a way to make better use of my Joggler and I have tried a few images but this is by far the best I have found.

I am working on a custom Joggler enclosure with better speakers and few other features. This image will allow me to have a Joggler based media device that works in the same way as my lounge media centre, study pc, garage pc that are all running XBMC so thank you again.

Cheers,

Luke.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

touchstone wrote:I'd think that mplayer would be able to handle a 1080i h264 or mpeg2 stream from mythweb just fine. But with "mplayer -vo vaapi -va vaapi", the video lags a couple seconds behind the audio. When I added -framedrop, the video started jumping way ahead of the audio, not smoothly.
adding a larger -cache might help. there are issues with the emgd vaapi driver though. I fear unlikely to be fixed due to the licensing etc. only a small portion is open source and in the kernel. everything else is proprietory.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Mplayer is on the main joggler repo btw, but I will update mplayer when I have a chance. Im not confident there will be any improvement for emgd though as the issues are in the binary blob. Still, an update won't hurt.