[RELEASE] XBMC for O2 Joggler (discontinued)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
ilovemyjoggler

Re: [RELEASE] XBMC for O2 Joggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Thanks spoyser but I couldn't get it to work that way.

In the end I rewrote my stick. Managed to stop auto update so I have an old version of xsqueeze running BUT it won't keep my lms settings. Keeps telling me to configure... So no music :cry: . I'll keep my eye on that forum in case someone reports a problem and there's a fix.

AND now the tubeplus plugin won't work. To say I'm frustrated is putting it rather mildly.

So, 2 plugins down, I'm leaving it for now before I stomp on it.
Last edited by ilovemyjoggler on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iLLiac4

Post by iLLiac4 »

To see what is happening in your joggler i would need a debug log after running tube+.
To prevent plugin from updatinh it is possible to trick the addon with entering a higher number in version located under addon7plugin_name/addon.xml but this should be used only if you know what you are doing.
As far as i know xsqueeze is broken atm.

The xbmc in original image is now already somehow old and you could update it. Check few posts back.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

iLLiac4, thanks for getting back to me. To take points in order:

I can't actually install tube+ at all so I've no idea how to get a debug for this. I'm using v 0.1.2 but it could be out of date. Error message is 'addon does not have the correct structure'.

I've stopped auto update of addon by turning it off in the addon settings. As I don't know what I'm doing this may be the safest way even if it doesn't work!

Yes, xsqueeze is broken but if you check out the xbmc forum you'll see that my hero spoyser has jumped in to help (@spoyser - your brilliant!)

You say the original image is old and it can be updated - are you referring to your post about frodo or have I missed something. If you do mean frodo, then I don't know how to do this and would need help. I've not had a chance to check everything on my new stick properly but I think it works fine apart from tube+. I guess I'll only start having problems if future updates aren't supported by eden. Then I'll be in trouble. ;)
Last edited by ilovemyjoggler on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

iLLiac4 wrote: As far as i know xsqueeze is broken atm.
Workaround:
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=973
Batz

Post by Batz »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:
Batz wrote:This is great, my Joggler comes out of semi-retirement! But I have a couple of questions.

I can't find out how to enable or configure wireless anywhere in any of the 4 skins. Help?!

I find that even in the touch oriented skins the music playback buttons are too small. I would expect the music to play with the visualisation and then have huge buttons for play/pause, forward/backwards etc. these could either be translucent or else hidden until you touch the screen. That way it would be easy to quickly operate. At the moment it's just too fiddly.

Any thoughts?
You can set up the wifi in 'network manager' in programs. You have to start off with an ethernet cable and pull it out once you've got it all set up and while it's running. That seems to be the only way the wifi gets kick started. There are a few posts about this quirk in this thread.

As for the buttons - someone else may be able to give you better advice idea but I use a mouse with my joggler that runs this os as it offers MUCH better precision. I know that you can edit the font and make that bigger but I really don't know if buttons can be resized.

I don't know what addon you're using for your music but I use xsqueeze (as it connects to my joggler running the squeezeplay os) and never bother using the joggler to control it - I use the squeezebox app on my phone which is much more finger friendly.

Not sure if this helps at all but I'm sure others will give more advice.
Thanks 'ilovemyjoggler'. I will try the Network Manager app and see if I can connect to XBMC with the XBMC Remote app to see if that makes it easy to remote control the music app. However the WAF will be reduced significantly by not having proper large buttons on the actual interface. I hope someone is developing an XBMC skin for sub 7" tablets for people with fat fingers!!
Cheers all
Ian
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Batz, there is a skin designed for use on jogglers - much bigger buttons so even the manliest of fingers should be fine! I've just given it a very quick go on xsqueeze and the button size is increased on this too. Might be worth trying this one out to see if it's better for you?

EDIT: http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ler#p11841

I think it's already there on the distro, in settings; appearance; skin. If not, you'll need to download it.
Batz

Post by Batz »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:Batz, there is a skin designed for use on jogglers - much bigger buttons so even the manliest of fingers should be fine! I've just given it a very quick go on xsqueeze and the button size is increased on this too. Might be worth trying this one out to see if it's better for you?

EDIT: http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ler#p11841

I think it's already there on the distro, in settings; appearance; skin. If not, you'll need to download it.
Thanks! What is the name of the skin (as it appears in XBMC)? I tried all the 4 in the default install. I think the one in your link is one of the ones installed but not sure. I also couldn't easily find the download link either, perhaps you could point me at it? Many thanks for your help.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

It's called 'joggler'. Can you see if you already have it - it should be one of the four skins already on there.

Have to say i've never used it on my joggler.
Batz

Post by Batz »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:It's called 'joggler'. Can you see if you already have it - it should be one of the four skins already on there.

Thanks, I have tried this one and it's better in some respects but still no 'chunky buttons'! Oh well, I get accurate prodding is the order of the day!
gegs

Post by gegs »

Batz wrote:
ilovemyjoggler wrote:It's called 'joggler'. Can you see if you already have it - it should be one of the four skins already on there.

Thanks, I have tried this one and it's better in some respects but still no 'chunky buttons'! Oh well, I get accurate prodding is the order of the day!
Have you tried changing the default view for each of your addons to "thumbnail"? I've done this for XBMC on the iPad. I also use the "Touched" skin - which is the default skin for XBMC on the iPad. It has large XBMC interface buttons (home menu, settings selections etc.). I'm not sure if "Touched" works with the Joggler but it's worth checking out.
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

The touched skin doesn't have a volume control and requires gestures for scrolling in certain places (scrollbar only appears once you start scrolling - bit chicken and egg!)

Whereas The re-touched skin does have volume (although it doesn't appear on iPad as it is unnecessary) and the scrollbar is more user friendly.

I agree the thumbnail view is much easier/better on iPad and Joggler
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

I've never been able to find thumbnail views for all my addons (infact only for my youtube and iplayer) and certainly not found it for the xbmc menu screens. Where is this hidden?
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

With the retouched skin it's the button labelled View, the one with 4 black horizontal lines on it

For confluence skin when you have a list/menu on screen click left to bring up a menu and you can select the view from there
pete

Post by pete »

Great stuff here!

I was able to fit your build on the Openframe 2 device with the internal 2 Gb mmc flash on it. I redid some of the partition extending it a bit.

I also added the "BTRFS-Tools" stuff. Still difficult though to play with changing system size and partition; still getting some odd BTRFS errors. Right now I am seeing some 400 Mb free but really its only 100Mb.

Here are some of my numbers:
root@joggler:~# fdisk -l
Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 2055 MB, 2055208960 bytes
4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 62720 cylinders, total 4014080 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000bc33b
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/mmcblk0p1 * 2048 126975 62464 e W95 FAT16 (LBA)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 126976 331775 102400 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/mmcblk0p3 331776 4014079 1841152 83 Linux
root@joggler:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p3 1.7G 1.4G 101M 94% /
udev 242M 4.0K 242M 1% /dev
tmpfs 99M 596K 98M 1% /run
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 247M 0 247M 0% /run/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p1 61M 18M 44M 28% /boot
root@joggler:~# btrfs fi show
Label: 'linux-root' uuid: 36d62ab3-1234-1234-1234-5ff2f9e9533f
Total devices 1 FS bytes used 1.38GB
devid 1 size 1.66GB used 1.66GB path /dev/mmcblk0p3
root@joggler:~# btrfs fi df /
Data: total=1.39GB, used=1.29GB
System: total=4.00MB, used=4.00KB
Metadata: total=269.75MB, used=85.85MB

That said though it is working well. Trying to get the DVR stuff going on it as its working well these days from my MythTV box to the other XBMC boxes around. I do have now 1 Satellite, 1 OTA and 3 cable tuners on it. It works well.

Streaming audio and video is working well from both the NAS boxes and the Internet!

Thank-you for providing the Joggler community with your Ubuntu XBMC build!
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Fired up by my phone app which gives me a qwerty keyboard for my tv, I thought I'd try the xbmc control app to see if it works with the joggler - and it does. To a degree anyway. This is quite a bonus for me as I had no idea. :)
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:Fired up by my phone app which gives me a qwerty keyboard for my tv, I thought I'd try the xbmc control app to see if it works with the joggler - and it does. To a degree anyway. This is quite a bonus for me as I had no idea. :)
Sounds like Unified Remote on Android?
Did you know there's actually proper XBMC remotes available for Android, either the official one or Yatse would be my recommendation. Gives you full browsing and very impressive. Seeing the official remote on my phone a while ago actually made a friend of mine go and buy a a raspberry pi to run XBMC on :-)
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:Sounds like Unified Remote on Android?
Did you know there's actually proper XBMC remotes available for Android, either the official one or Yatse would be my recommendation. Gives you full browsing and very impressive. Seeing the official remote on my phone a while ago actually made a friend of mine go and buy a a raspberry pi to run XBMC on :-)
It's the official xbmc remote app for the iphone. It looks like addons need to be started manually on the joggler first before the remote will work but that's not much of a hardship. Need to play some more...

I suffer quite badly from Pi envy. It's on my wishlist. ;) Our tv can pick lms from our sqpos joggler and plays music through our surround sound - no need for any additional kit - although the tv does need to be on. Such a shame it doesn't pick up the xbmc os in the same way.
peo1

Post by peo1 »

don't know if this has been asked but can you install xbmc to the jogglers internal flash or do you have to run it from usb ???

thanks
it's a circus all i see is joggler's
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

peo1 wrote:don't know if this has been asked but can you install xbmc to the jogglers internal flash or do you have to run it from usb ???

thanks
You need to run it from a usb. According to the install instructions you need a minimum 2gb usb (mine's running off a 4gb stick at the mo). The internal memory is only 1gb. Although, as usual, I stand to be corrected. ;)
pete

Post by pete »

Here I was able to get one of those Open Peak phone/energy hubs with the little speakers in the front. These do have 2 Gb of internal flash memory which allowed for the installation of XBMC.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater