Joli OS for the O2 Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
qwakuk

Re: Joli OS for the O2 Joggler

Post by qwakuk »

thermal.psv=80

Seems to help

Anyone know if i can do the same on my Andriod usb ?
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Is it ok to leave the joli usb in the joggler permanently and leave the joggler on 24/7. I have been tinkering with it tonight and the metal part of the usb (the bit that goes into the jogger) is really quite hot. Sorry - possibly a thick question but I am not in the habit of leaving electrical things on. Thanks.
Nasedo

Post by Nasedo »

mrp wrote:I'm now using 1.2, version 1.1, btrfscom. All seems to be very slow. With 1.1, versison 1.0 Joggler was really enjoyable to use but after they updated the UI (force update) 1.1 did not work any more and I had to upgrade to 1.2. (...)
First, I would like to tell, Joli OS is my first OS on Joggler. I have no idea, what speed should I expect. Anyway, O2 firmware as well as Open Speak, improved with PnP III makes Joggler usable and pretty quick.

I have downloaded: Joli OS 1.2 (Joggler Image v1.9 - 17/06/2012), btrfs version

I used SanDisk Cruiser 8GB and I have experienced when Joli OS has been started, was almost not reponsive. I could imagine, it could be a little bit slower, but the time from clicking keboard icon, till white rectangular appears, and finally keyboard appears on the screen it was so unbelievable. I have waited couple minutes literally, and I couldn't even use this on-screen-keyboard.

I tied on more time, with Memory Card reader, with Kingston MicroSD HC card, 8GB - the speed was more or less the same.

Am I doing something wrong, or maybe I should have external keyboard at least?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Search the wiki for the "Thermal trip point tweak " this makes it much more responsive.
Once the tweak is applied it increases the temperature at which the Joggler starts to throttle and run slow. I think most of us have done this on here :-)
Also running it off an external hdd is another option to speed things up.
Hope this helps
Happy Joggling
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

I found Joli slow, even after the thermal trip point tweak. I tried it on a couple of usbs and for me there definitely was a speed difference from one usb to the other.

In the end, after hawsey recommended it (ta!), I switched to linux mint on usb as it seemed faster to me, again with the thermal tweak applied.
Nasedo

Post by Nasedo »

At this point I can compare Joli OS and Android, where Android is running pretty fast but Joli is not really possible to use. I will try Mint and Ubuntu.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Updates for Joli OS (30/10/2012)

* Kernel 3.2.32 with fh kernel module for reading/writing efi flash.
* Latest XBMC 're-touched' skin from Jezz X.
* Distribution Package updates.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

there is now an option to switch/upgrade to the new jolicloud desktop which has intergration with more online services (info can be found on http://www.jolicloud.com/). You can switch back from the settings also.

The new desktop works well mostly, except it seems to be missing the "Local Apps" which is a bit annoying. I will report that and hopefully it will get addressed. Would be nice to have a new Joli OS also, which they may be working on, but are not giving out any information currently.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

if any of you are on facebook, please can you read/comment on my discussion on the Jolicloud page -

https://www.facebook.com/jolicloud/post ... ed_comment

The future for jolios on the o2 joggler is not bright based on their current answers.

My tone may come across as slightly rude/impatient, but I have continually bumped into brick walls when speaking to the Joli OS support/team regarding issues.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

The general problem is some stuff is gone in the upgrade. Such as "Local apps" icon. I had assumed stuff like this was just not added to the new interface yet, but from the replies, it sounds like they have no interest in making local apps easily accessible, and think pressing alt+f2 to bring up nautilus is acceptable. Also looks like they are too focussed on their "cloud" and social media intergration, which seems to be more of a gimmick than really useful (at least to me). Most of the users want updates to Joli OS. They also want to focus on "web apps". I am not at all convinced that is a future I want to be part of. I don't sign up to the whole idea of an OS that just comes with a web browser.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I suspected that was the route they were taking when they launched their new platform. Sad but predictable. Web apps are OK to fill a small gap or a temporary need but for anything you'd like to customise or take control of, it is a pain. I'd hate to run something like The Gimp as a web app.

To be honest, I wasn't too keen on the web-centric ethos of JoliOS before the change. Web access to run an operating system might be OK for people in affluent societies but it limits the usefulness of JoliOS as a cheap educational OS in environments where internet access isn't universally available.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Well, good news. Local settings and Local apps icons are back, so the new jolicloud has the functionality of the old one. So it looks like the person giving out the info on facebook isn't completely in the loop, or all our moaning paid off :)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Updates to JoliOS v1.2 (30/12/2012)

* Updated to EMGD 1.16
* Fixed up path to Maverick repositories.
* Distro package rollups.
talkingbollox

Post by talkingbollox »

I've just installed 1.2, thanks, but cannot access via putty/WinSCP?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

You will need to install openssh-server
talkingbollox

Post by talkingbollox »

BuZz wrote:You will need to install openssh-server
Thanks, I managed to install it via the Synaptic Package Manager.

I only asked as I believe I was able to SSH in version 1.2-v1.9 out of the box.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Updates to JoliOS v1.2 (09/04/2013)

* XBMC 12.1 (and switched back to Xeebo skin)
* Distro package rollups.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Cheers BuZz

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
Happy Joggling
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

np. just a small update. although takes more time than people might think :)
simono

Re: Jolicloud 1.1 for the O2 Joggler

Post by simono »

BuZz wrote:There are instructions on how to write it to a usb stick on the main jolicloud page if that's what you mean.
Sorry if this has been asked before but can the Joggler be flashed to boot from the internal memory like SqueezePlay OS rather than boot from USB?