Is every Linux distribution extremely slow on Joggler?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Nasedo

Post by Nasedo »

I have my Joggler just a couple days, so I can't say I'm experienced user... but, if I'm going something wrong, I would like to ask for some explanation or help.

Before I bought Joggler, I played with it once - long time ago in O2-UK store. Device was pretty responsible for me... and I did expected something similar right now. When I started first time, with original software - I couldn't do so much, because of limitations, but Joggler works fine. First update to Open Peak software was successful. Everything goes fine, so I have decide to do another step, update for PnP III. Another success.
Of course, before I decide to do any update - as not experienced user - I have asked several questions - I got some answers.

The point is - Joggler works all the time properly, pretty fast, was responsible, and I never had to wait so long.

What I had?
- Pen Drive 8GB - SanDisk Cruser Edge (its quite slow, when I'm transferring any files under the Windows)
- NoNamed MicroSD Card Reader with 8GB Micro SD HC (4) Card from Kingston, much faster then my pendrive
- Win32DiskImager (for Windows)
- Joli OS (jolios_1.2-v1.9-btrfs.img.gz)
- Android (Android Joggler Froyo 1.2.3 v2a.img.zip)
- Linux Mint 13 (linuxmint_13-v1.0-btrfs.img.gz)

First step was preparing starting USB stick for Joli OS. Device was started, it took so long... and finally something appears. It was a graphics interface, but, when I have touched keyboard icon, first white rectangle appears, and then I have waited literally couple minutes then keyboard appears. I could understand Linux may be a little bit slower... but what I've seen was unbelievable.
I tried exacly the same with my another pendrive - speed was exactly the same.
I haven't connected any keyboard (so far...)

I have decided to test Android then. I have decide to use slow pendrive for this, SanDisk Cruiser 8GB. I have started... and what has happened? Android was working fine, been pretty responsible. I could do whatever I wanted, without any necessary delays.

Then, I decided to test Linux Mint - I have prepared pendrive (faster one) - and had started. It was so long again. The problem I have experienced the device couldn't start in graphics mode. I have tried again. I have used USB Hub (with separate wall charger) - I have used pendrive (obviously), but this time I have used USB Keyboard (Microsoft).

Maybe is not related - but Graphics mode has been started, but another Linux - and another dissapointments. Wherever I want to "click", whatever I want to use - it took so long... what's wrong?

I do understand some OS could be slower than original soft. I have Nokia N800 and I had tested with Linux Debian - it was slow, but I could work with this. What is wrong with Joggler?

Final questions?

1. Am I doing something wrong, preparing something in not appropriate way?
2. For both Linuxes I choose BTRFS, newest version. Could it be a problem?
3. Do I have to external keyboard (USB) or it will not improve the speed?
4. Is it possible to use wireless USB keyboard and mouse?

Thanks in advance for all of yours answers.
hawsey

Re: Is every Linux distribution extremely slow on Joggler?

Post by hawsey »

Apply the thermal trip point tweak see wiki :-) not at my PC at the moment to give you the link but it sounds to me like your Joggler is throttling.
It needs applying once in each Linux image you make.
Happy Joggling
Nasedo

Post by Nasedo »

hawsey wrote:Apply the thermal trip point tweak see wiki :-)
I read about this...
An unmodified Joggler, after being powered up for some time seems to idle at around 60 - 66°C with the LCD on (less with it off), so it doesn't take a lot of usage to bring the temperature up to 70°C at which point the throttling starts. (...) The default throttling trip point is 70°C. I have successfully increased this to 80°C on my Joggler.
I do understand, it could do some improvement, but with default "thermal point" device is completely unusable.

What next?
For the most free space and good performance on slower devices use Btrfs.
(...)
My own choice is btrfs - On slower USB sticks the compression seems to speed things up - and it runs well. Since switching to LZO compression, it may be faster than using ext4 on slower usb flash devices.
I decided to try BTRFS - if it has to be faster, I couldn't imagine what is "slower".

At this point I could compare Joli and Mint - to PnP III (with Open Peak) and Android 2.2.2, where both Mint and Joli are starting ages, and waiting for any response takes ages.
My next step will be check some films on YouTube and compare speed.

EDIT:
I tried Ubuntu Base/Server 12.04 LTS (Precise) (Joggler Image v1.1 - 17/06/2012) - with wireless USB keyboard. I haven't done much, but it looks it's pretty responsive. I could login myself (joggler/joggler), and I had an opportunity to check some basic commands.
Now, I'm downloading Xubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise) (Joggler Image v1.1 - 17/06/2012) - BTRFS version.
Nasedo

Post by Nasedo »

My recent test:
Xubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise) (Joggler Image v1.1 - 17/06/2012) (BTRFS Version)
Wireless keyboard + mouse (Logitech - Combo MK260)
7 Ports HUB (with external power)
MicroSD Card Reader + MicroSD Memory Card, 8GB HC (4)
No Throttling has been used - default settings.

Now, I'm pretty satisfied. This Linux is working good. I couldn't say if its stable or not - I couldn't say about any issues, but it works for me. I was able to start wireless connection, use some websites - and nothing has crashed, Joggler been so fast (comparing) to Joli OS and Linux Mint.

Does anyone have any explanation why Joli and Mint are so not responsible, slow - but Xubuntu as well as Android works pretty fast?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Joli and Mint are a little heavier than Xubuntu, so more likely to push your Joggler's processor into the temperature throttling zone (at which point it becomes unusable IMHO). Just tweak that thermal trip point to 80 and they'll run perfectly.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)