Questions from the beginner

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Nasedo

Questions from the beginner

Post by Nasedo »

I spent several hours and I read a lot, but still, I have some unanswered questions. Some of those may be silly, but I would like to be sure, before I will do my first step.

OLD, ORIGINAL SOFT, QUESTIONS ABOUT O2 JOGGLER:

1. Why O2 Joggler has IMEI number? Is any simcard pre-installed? When I start to using Messages application, I have a information "Your O2 Joggler number is 07xxxyyyzzz". I would like to mention, I bought Joggler from someone who used it before. I do understand sending / receiving text messages is not available any more, as O2-UK is not supporting Joggler.

2. Application not updating themselves at all. What does it mean? For example: Sky News Weather Last Updated Tue, 22 Jun 2010, Sky Sports: Last Updated 30 Apr 2010. Youtube is completely useless, of course I can search for anything I want, but if I want to display anything, the following message appears: Selected video cannot be played. It may be removed or restricted - Is the old software are completely useless right now? (WiFi connection has been set up properly - I can search for videos, I can use Google Maps, watch BBC etc.)

UPDATES - DIY - BUT... BEGINNING IS NOT EASY

3. What is a good choice for the very beginning?
Shall I start from Open Peak version from 14th of June 2012, or maybe start from PnP III?

4. If I will choose Open Peak, I have quite good advice:
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 664#p11705
It looks quite simple - but, why in this "Reflashing tool" has not been recommended?

5. If I will choose PnP III, it will be a little bit harder. I have read the following thread:
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=555
I understood, what I need to do is:
Pre-OpenPeak updated Jogglers (Original o2 software)

1) Unzip the downloaded archive and copy all the files to a formatted USB stick. Make sure any hidden files are copied.
2) Preferably make sure your Joggler is clean and connected to your network (although connection shouldn't be required). I use the reflash from birdslikewires.co.uk to achieve this. See here for more info.
3) Plug the USB stick into a clean pre-updated Joggler, reboot and leave it to do its thing! This can take 12-20 minutes depending on the USB stick. It may 'reboot' a few times but will stay on the 'OpenPeak' or 'o2' boot screen.
4) The Joggler will eventually reboot into the OS with all the new apps and icons
5) You will need to remove the 'remove_for_new_install' file from the USB stick to use it again.

SSH, SCP (username: letmeinssh password: joggler1234) and Telnet (username: letmein) will be enabled.
Simple Webserver available via a browser at <YOUR_JOGGLER'S_IP_ADDRESS>
Logitech Media Server (LMS) available via a browser at <YOUR_JOGGLER'S_IP_ADDRESS:9000>
You will need to log into LMS to finish enabling iPlayer radio plugins. Tick them in Plugin Settings and Apply changes.
Do I need to download PnP3_v3.045.zip file, and just extract to any formated pendrive, formated for example under the Windows with FAT/FAT32 file system?
Do I need another pendrive for reflasher? I presume, I need. Following instructions from:
http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/jogglerflash
I'm preparing pendrive and then, I will need to copy two files into the reflash directory, like: app-o2flash-26635.8686-S3-f1-reimage.tgz and jogglerflash.sh - and it will be ready, am I correct?
Another advice is "Plug the USB stick into a clean pre-updated Joggler" - after reflashing is anything I can do / I have to do, like WiFi configuration, or maybe nothing is recommended?
After this I should reboot the Joggler - I don't know how to reboot, or maybe "updater" will do this for me?

I will really appreciate if someone want to clarify those for me. Thanks in advance.
Nasedo

Re: Questions from the beginner

Post by Nasedo »

I will have to answer myself. I would like to believe it may be useful for someone one day.

3. I started from Open Peak, and after that I installed PnP III. Maybe it wasn't perfect choice - but it was mine. I did realize Open Peak software is much better, then (useless those days) O2 original software, but if I can have some more, got to dare for more.

5. I couldn't understand how to install PnP III from original O2 software. Maybe manual for this is for more experienced users - I don't know. I have decide to upgrade for Open Peak first, then install PnP III:
Post-OpenPeak updated Jogglers (new OpenPeak software)

1) Unzip the downloaded archive (the download is around 106Mb) and copy all the files to a formatted USB stick. Make sure any hidden files are copied.
2) Preferably make sure your Joggler is clean and connected to your network so you can telnet in. As of 14th June 2012 there is a brand new OpenPeak USB reflasher available to download from fftp://ftp.exotica.org.uk/pub/joggler/files/openpeak_12-06-14.img.gz (original 4gb image) or ftp://ftp.exotica.org.uk/pub/joggler/fi ... -14.img.gz (smaller 400mb image - works for me!) which should fix networking issues if you use PnP III v3.038 onwards. INSTRUCTIONS HERE!
3) Plug the USB stick into a updated Joggler.
4) Telnet into the Joggler via a computer. The username is root and there is no password.
(open <your Joggler's IP address>)
5) Type in:

Code: Select all
cd /mnt/files <press Enter>
./pnp3op.sh <press Enter>

6) Loads of stuff will scroll up the Telnet window whilst the mods are installed. The Joggler screen will probably go blank. Ignore any 'error' messages reporting files cannot be created etc. Nothing is wrong!
7) The Joggler should eventually reboot into the OpenPeak OS with all the new apps and icons.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Welcome to the forum :-)
If you have an original unupdated joggler you can just follow the PNP III instructions you posted above, be patient it takes a while so go have a cup of tea while you wait

Eventually you will be presented with a pimped up Joggler courtesy of Offbeatdave .
That is your easiest route to do what you want.
You have to put in your wireless key or plug in your Ethernet cable and you are good to go.
Reboot you mention on the original software and pnpIII just means pulling the plug then switching back on again ....
Good Luck
Happy Joggling
Nasedo

Post by Nasedo »

hawsey wrote:Welcome to the forum :-)
hawsey wrote:If you have an original unupdated joggler you can just follow the PNP III instructions you posted above, be patient it takes a while so go have a cup of tea while you wait
I have been patient. But I was completely clueless what to do, when I want to update from original one into PnP III. Manual says:
Plug the USB stick into a clean pre-updated Joggler, reboot and leave it to do its thing! This can take 12-20 minutes depending on the USB stick. It may 'reboot' a few times but will stay on the 'OpenPeak' or 'o2' boot screen.
Maybe I forgot to reboot?
hawsey wrote:Reboot you mention on the original software and pnpIII just means pulling the plug then switching back on again ....
Good Luck
That's true. I found out, when I waited more than 10 minutes when Joggler displays READY :-)
leepea

Post by leepea »

EDIT: Ha, when I started writing this there were no replies but I took my time getting around to finishing the post! I'll leave it here in case it helps.

I'll try to help as best as I can, although I'm no expert by any means!
1. Why O2 Joggler has IMEI number?
This was for the now-defunct messaging app, as far as I'm aware it's not relevant as the messaging is no longer supported.
2. Application not updating themselves at all.
Many of the apps on the original O2 software no longer update as they are unsupported. Not sure if this applies to Sky News/Sports as i never use them. According to THIS POST it was working for people on the Openpeak firmware, unsure if that's still the case though. Re: Youtube, there are new versions of this app which work much better than the one provided in the original O2 firmware.
3. What is a good choice for the very beginning?
It's all down to personal preference and what you want out of the Joggler! I flashed mine back to the O2 firmware because I don't like the look of the Openpeak update, then added PnPIII for extra functionality.
4. If I will choose Open Peak / 5. If I will choose PnP III
In my opinion, the Openpeak firmware is pretty useless without adding PnPIII to it. If you follow the instructions for the birdslikewires Reflashing Tool, you will have a clean Joggler on the original O2 firmware. If you want to use the Openpeak firmare, follow the instructions on THIS POST. You can always swap between the 2 by reflashing. Then follow instructions in the PnPIII THREAD for either pre- (O2) or post- (Openpeak) update methods.

Hope this helps!