Coreboot and SeaBIOS

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
mickchip

Re: Coreboot and SeaBIOS

Post by mickchip »

Sorry there is no walkthrough as yet, but if you can manage to flash the bios chip with Inaxeons coreboot.rom your probably half way there.
Thats as long as you can get win7 to boot from USB which isn't that difficult (google).
Jogglermaniac
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

mickchip wrote:Been trying to get this to install with a GUI for ages, could install but only ended up in a terminal.
Well i've done it, nothing works as yet (touch, wifi,ethernet etc) but now I can work on that.

By the way, I can only get it to work off the pata port, won't boot off USB.
Great work getting this far what os version is the above gui ?
Looks like Android JB but im just curious
Happy Joggling
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

ftp://linux-ren.org/pub/midinux/midinux ... 301339.iso

Its RedFlag Midinux 2. Quite old but I liked the interface on the joggler
Jogglermaniac
pete

Post by pete »

Been doing some electrical work around the house in the last week or so.

Today will attempt the baking thing to extract a ZIF connector. Attached is a before picture. Pre-heating oven to 500 degrees F. Oven heated up in about 15 minutes. Using kitchen table today. (concurrently doing electrical and the Joggler is my relaxing between electrical work).

Using a small plate with a piece of aluminum foil on it. Set timer to 10 minutes and using tweezers to remove zif connector from board.

Worked on test board. 10 minutes at 500F. I desoldered second one with little clip on it. Worked great.
Attachments
Step-2a.jpg
Step-1a.jpg
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

claybratt wrote:Sorry to ask a stupid question, but is there a walk-through or anything on getting win7 or 8 up yet? I have a few joggers and would like to give it a try. Again my apologies
There isn't much point in a walkthrough at present because my SeaBIOS for Joggler isn't stable enough.

Still working on it...
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

pete_c wrote:Been doing some electrical work around the house in the last week or so.

Today will attempt the baking thing to extract a ZIF connector. Attached is a before picture. Pre-heating oven to 500 degrees F. Oven heated up in about 15 minutes. Using kitchen table today. (concurrently doing electrical and the Joggler is my relaxing between electrical work).

Using a small plate with a piece of aluminum foil on it. Set timer to 10 minutes and using tweezers to remove zif connector from board.

Worked on test board. 10 minutes at 500F. I desoldered second one with little clip on it. Worked great.
Am baffled by this truly mad melting method. How is it that things aren't heat damaged?
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:Am baffled by this truly mad melting method. How is it that things aren't heat damaged?
How do you think they get the connector on there? With a soldering iron? :P

All electronic components have to be able to withstand temperatures of 300+ C for at least 45 seconds or so, as that's what they do at the factory, stick the whole thing in an oven!

Components such as the ZIF connector, being made of plastic and all, are especially delicate during wave soldering. Careful!
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

inaxeon wrote:How do you think they get the connector on there? With a soldering iron? :P

All electronic components have to be able to withstand temperatures of 300+ C for at least 45 seconds or so, as that's what they do at the factory, stick the whole thing in an oven!

Components such as the ZIF connector, being made of plastic and all, are especially delicate during wave soldering. Careful!
Tbh had never given it any thought before - cooked... who knew. Not as bat cr*p crazy as it sounds then. ;)
pete

Post by pete »

Here it was doing it while wife was out of the house. She likes to cook and the kitchen is her domain.

That said she would not be appreciative of me using the kitchen table or her oven for my little hobbies. What she doesn't know though will not be causing any discourse.

Tested this out once by bringing my old triumph spitfire carburator inside the house to do a rebuild; since then though I have built a bit of an automotive shop in my garage to do stuff like this.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Off topic i know but i've had 2 triumph dolomites. I loved those cars & shed a few tears when my last one was towed away for scrap as it was falling apart. Uk weather being what it is it was held together with welded bits, a wing and a prayer.

Back to your sneaky use of the oven - lets hope you're not rumbled!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

inaxeon wrote:
claybratt wrote:Sorry to ask a stupid question, but is there a walk-through or anything on getting win7 or 8 up yet? I have a few joggers and would like to give it a try. Again my apologies
There isn't much point in a walkthrough at present because my SeaBIOS for Joggler isn't stable enough.

Still working on it...
Ahh but you have done so much.in such a short time :-)
Keep up the good work
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

OT - Spitfire is in storage right now; not driven now in about 4 years. I purchased it in the late 70's cuz I had one in the late 60's and missed it a bit. Really probably only have driven it a month (total drive time) since the 70's.

I am very neat and will leave the kitchen exactly the way it looked before I did anything. ;)

Next step is soldering the ZIF connector to the Joggler main board. Easiest here to remove the board cabling; for me at least.
- Pete

Auto mater
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Just an observation, grub does not boot from core bios hangs at stage 2,
grub2 works fine, this is booting off the pata port havn't tried USB.
Jogglermaniac
pete

Post by pete »

You guys have convinced me to set up my old electronics workbench. (its been in storage in the basement and not really used in the last 10 years).

It would be a PITA to try to solder the Joggler PATA port on the kitchen table.
Attachments
workbench.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Easy and 10 minutes. I covered all of the solder pads with flux (IE: couldn't find a flux pen; so just utilized a toothpic to apply the flux). The side pads only had a little bit of the solder pad showing making it a bit difficult. Before soldering I used a straight end ruler to bend the 40 pins down a bit such that a side view showed them a bit below the connector. I held the connector down with one finger while I soldered one side pad; then the other. I applied more flux to the 40 zif pins and barely touched them with the soldering iron and the pins instantly connected. I validated the connections looking at the board from the side where you can see that they are all connected. Next will connect a ZIF SSD drive. I made a bigger deal out of this than it was.
Attachments
Untitled 4a.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I was thinking about you and that ZIF connector earlier... glad it went OK, Pete.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you Mevi; it was the flux that made it a simple task. Also using my old workbench rather than the kitchen table was a bit easier.

Ordered a small 1.8" 16Gb SSD/ZIF drive for $25 USD a few minutes ago.
Attachments
16GbZIF.jpg
16GbZIF.jpg (87.61 KiB) Viewed 6866 times
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Ordered the Zif connectors in bulk from HKG; 10 for $4 USD with free shipping. They look a bit better constructed and I can eliminate the baking piece of the conversion.
- Pete

Auto mater
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Got Meego for joggler from Mijuu at mporting.com working from coreboot off a usb stick, seems to work very nicely
Attachments
Meego.jpg
Jogglermaniac
pete

Post by pete »

Just received my Kingspec SSD ZIF drive yesterday. That said went to install OS on it and found it with only zero bytes available on it. (DOA).

This is the first time in many months that I have waited so long for a delivery from China. That and I got my ZIF connectors the day before yesterday.

Yesterday decided to take apart my little ZIF to USB drive box and wrote an OS to the ZIF drive then removed it and gave it a try on the Joggler. Works great.

I really though wanted just to install the SSD drive inside of the Joggler; hence the wait. (amoung other events which have happened in the few weeks)

Switching over to another mfg ZIF SSD drive ordered one yesterday to give it a try.
- Pete

Auto mater