Coreboot and SeaBIOS

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
inaxeon

Re: Coreboot and SeaBIOS

Post by inaxeon »

Get these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M50FW080N5G-M ... 2489wt_738

Much higher quality chips

EDIT: I take that back. The built in OS is refusing to flash an M50FW080. Stick with the SST's
pete

Post by pete »

Found them at Mouser here for $6. Many places have minimum orders I noticed of more than one.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

reflashed with v0.2

it boots win98 DOS from USB stick just fine. I used a WIN98DOS on USB format utility that I found at http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... k-creators. I loved that it booted on the Joggler with a Windows 98 splash screen which I got a photo of. I've got Win 98 on CD in the garage I think... chances of it booting?
IMG_0138.JPG
Win7 USB HDD doesn't bluescreen with the ACPI error, and now sits on the microsoft corporation progress bar forever (or as long as I was prepared to wait, anyway!)
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

Win 98. hahaha.

Well for starters there's no graphics drivers, and, it supports ACPI. Build 0.2 has ACPI enabled and the DSDT is trash, so Win 98 will never work. Win 95 might though. Build 0.1 would have a better chance of booting Win 98.

With regards to Windows 7, to give you some idea: I'm currently trying to hammer out a DSDT table which is actually remotely valid for a US15W system, never mind the SLIC, that's the least of my worries. I think this is going to take quite a long time. Don't expect anything for another week yet :P
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Got this flashed now, haha, Dos prompt! no time to play though really really busy week or so, so when I get some free time will definitely tinker more!

Fabuolous work Inaxeon, can see this having a great impact in how i use my joggler! :D
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Yeah, 98 installation died after completing Scandisk OK and moved on to scanning registry. It didn't stay on screen very long for me to commit the text to memory, Joggler just shut down. Not sure I still have my Win 95 diskettes.. I'll see what I can find online otherwise. I'll be content with MSDOS which is an achievement in itself. Well done. :)
IMG_0140.JPG

Mevi

Post by Mevi »

a second attempt (coz I'm subborn) at installing Win 98 got me as far as these 2 screen shots. The Joggler stopped responding to key strokes at the c:\WINDOWS option screen.
IMG_0142.JPG
IMG_0143.JPG

pete

Post by pete »

Mevi,

Did you do the flash swap / rewrite / write new flash to get to the newest flash rom from the previous version? Or did you just go to another Joggler for the newest rom?

Where is the step by step for this method?

Somewhere I still have the original Windows 95 CD and the original IBM Warp CD. Did a search and there is hardly a mention of it anywhere.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

Mevi wrote:a second attempt (coz I'm subborn) at installing Win 98 got me as far as these 2 screen shots. The Joggler stopped responding to key strokes at the c:\WINDOWS option screen.
You've probably hit the point where it's stopped using INT16 for keyboard access (Which SeaBIOS emulates) and is now trying to talk to an i8042, which the joggler doesn't have. I'd say game over for Win 98.
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

pete_c wrote:Mevi,

Did you do the flash swap / rewrite / write new flash to get to the newest flash rom from the previous version? Or did you just go to another Joggler for the newest rom?

Where is the step by step for this method?

Somewhere I still have the original Windows 95 CD and the original IBM Warp CD. Did a search and there is hardly a mention of it anywhere.

It requires disassembling 2 Jogglers.... I swapped the EFI chip from a second O2 Joggler and booted it into the O2 OS, hot swapped for the chip to be reflashed with v0.2 and used the method you used before to flash it from USB stick via SSH. The URL to download it is the same as the one Inaxeon sent with his first PM.

I'm googling for various live CDs and installers to try on this latest BIOS.

pete

Post by pete »

OK, slower here (old as the "hills).

1 - take EFI chip out of working Joggler and insert it into the non working Joggler
2 - Boot to the O2 OS and reflash the non working Joggler with the new EFi CHIP with the O2 flash?
3 - remove the working EFI chip and reinstall it in the 2nd Joggler
4 - put the non working EFI chip back into the original Joggler
5 - Boot into the USB stick and reflash the non working EFI chip with whatever you want (whether O2 or new ROM).
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

pete_c wrote:OK, slower here (old as the "hills).

1 - take EFI chip out of working Joggler and insert it into the non working Joggler
2 - Boot to the O2 OS and reflash the non working Joggler with the new EFi CHIP with the O2 flash?
3 - remove the working EFI chip and reinstall it in the 2nd Joggler
4 - put the non working EFI chip back into the original Joggler
5 - Boot into the USB stick and reflash the non working EFI chip with whatever you want (whether O2 or new ROM).
You don't need to flash your seabios chip back to O2 efi when going from Inaxeon's v0.1 to v0.2. You only need the O2 efi chip to boot into O2 OS. Heh heh, my brain isn't as quick as it used to be.

Assuming you have 2 O2 Jogglers, one has Inaxeon's v0.1 seabios, the other has O2 EFI. I don't think that mixing and matching EFI programmed chips from Openpeak and O2 Jogglers will work, so be sure not to get them mixed up as mine even had identical stickers on the chips. :)

1- Disassemble both and boot one of them up with the O2 EFI to the O2 OS
2- once booted take out the O2 EFI chip and hotswap for the seabios v0.1 chip
3- plug in your usb stick with core boot.rom v0.2 on it.
4- telnet into the Joggler and flash the chip.
5- reassemble your Jogglers.

Perhaps at some stage there could be a DOS reflash tool, but it's not too much of a faff to do the hotswap.

pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Mevi.
once booted take out the O2 EFI chip and hotswap for the seabios v0.1 chip
Think all of mine are Jogglers and not Open Peak.

So I do this while its "on"?

I've done similiar with Via Bios chips way long time ago. How do you pull out the chip without shorting it?
- Pete

Auto mater
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

use a pencil with abit of bluetack on the end
Jogglermaniac
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

DSL no longer boots on the new rom, hangs at booting the kernel,
will swap back to original one and try again.
Jogglermaniac
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

mickchip wrote:DSL no longer boots on the new rom, hangs at booting the kernel,
will swap back to original one and try again.
Yeah, I know. Enabling ACPI killed it. I'll turn it off for the next build.
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks guys.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

I have yet to do the swap as I have the first Joggler in pieces on my desk using painter's tape to keep it together.

Does the last ROM let you use a keyboard/mouse; boot into Linux and write a new ROM?
- Pete

Auto mater
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

With the latest rom I can't get anything to boot, changed back to the first and DSL boots but I can't write the rom from there.
You need to write it from the o2 os.
Jogglermaniac
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks mickchip. Yeah my desk now has a little bitty 7 inch CE 6.0 touchscreen I've been also playing with. I will put it on my bookshelf to continue to play with the Joggler. This stuff is addicting.
- Pete

Auto mater