Coreboot and SeaBIOS

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Coreboot and SeaBIOS

Post by roobarb! »

pete_c wrote:Thanks Andy!

I made up a little sleave of paper. That said though I am having some issues with the position putting pressure on the back of the LCD when I close and screw down the lid.
Ah, I had that problem when fitting micro SD readers. There's a remarkable amount of space available top-right, but that's probably not much help to you!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Re: Coreboot and SeaBIOS

Post by pete »

Thanks Andy...wondering now if maybe I could get a longer than 6 cm ZIF cable. I mean maybe like 18-20 cm ZIF cable would take the SSD card to the top left or even just to the area where the USB WLAN stick is at.

I did find a 700mm ZIF cable...but that's a bit much.

Looking some more I am finding 15 and 25cm long 40-pin ZIF cables. I ordered both but thinking the 25cm might be a bit long.

Yes; I've angled the ZIF cable stretching it a bit.

Even on the CPU side above the speakers it fits but pushes the motherboard out and against the LCD. I keep playing with it. I've been trying to stick it on a smooth part of the motherboard. No luck yet. Attached is a series of pictures. Its really not noticible once the OS is loaded.

I'm using one of the Jogglers with mostly the internal NIC card not booting up (test one) so right now testing with an external USB device.

The above noted though switched over to using the Digi 7 port powered USB. Works much better even though its only USB 1.X. I can image the SSD drive over to an externally mounted via USB ZIF SSD. Works fine.
Attachments
pics-3.jpg
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
digiblue

Post by digiblue »

Hi, inaxeon
Very thanks for your bios,that's a great gift for joggler.
and maybe I found a bug,if unplug the joggler power, bios will be reset system date 18xxx year,cause xp does not start properly, Hang dead before the appearance of the login page. Could the bios of the initial time is set to 2012 or other normal year, thank you!
pete

Post by pete »

digiblue,

Mine will continue the boot process even though it shows a message about the date. That said I do a delay relating to running time syncing such that it waits until the Joggler is on the network, time / date syncs then runs the starting programs. I keep time internal to the network via an NTP server using a GPS for the time sync. I still have issues with the date; so I now check externally when it boots up and send a date command over to the Joggler remotely. I also sync the time via Tardis and circumvent the Wintel time services. I do similiar with the Jogglers running Linux as timekeeping is sort of a hobby for me. (collect old clocks too).
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Whoa; amazed here today.

I just opened up a new (refurbished) Joggler (officially now the count is at 12 here of these amazing little boxes). It's modded exactly like the previously purchased Joggler. Already has the PATA port and all.

Just getting ready to update the flash to the most recent version of Seabios. I am curious about the NIC card on this one.

Curious cuz the last one appears to have two sound cards in it? It has a "Vega" driver plus the stock audio driver. Anyone ever see this?
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Really interested to read about these couple of pre-modded Jogglers you have picked up. Handy that they have that ZIF connector already. I keep meaning to drop Inaxeon a note to see if he's still ok to solder mine on.

Not seen a Joggler that was anything else than stock.

I've salvaged a PATA SSD from an acer netbook, one of a few I've ended up with while I pick through the parts to assemble a working one. I'm hoping I'll have a 'new' netbook tomorrow as I got the guts of an acer in the post today. I'm sure it would have been cheaper to just buy a new one when the power socket broke on mine. :D
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
pete

Post by pete »

Funny; when I purchased the Joggler from the vendor and asked about the mods he said he knew nothing about the insides of the Jogglers; so the verbiage from the selling vendor is just a regular description of a regular working Joggler. I did notice the last one did not come with any antennas connected to the USB WLAN stick. None the less I remove them anyways. I will take pictures of this one. Its a bit harder to remove the motherboard to get to the flash rom as there are multiple cables wired (soldered) from the back to the motherboard. Such that the motherboard is tethered a bit to the cables; so you cannot remove the motherboard unless you remove more "stuff" behind it.

To date I have only soldered one ZIF on one Joggler. Using flux made it easy. I was a bit paranoid about removing a ZIF by baking it. That said that too was easier than I thought it would be. Since then though I have purchased more ZIF connectors but have not used any of them yet. I also recently purchased longer ZIF cables as the ZIF SSD drive even mounted flush to the motherboard pushes on it a bit distorting the backlighting illumination of the LCD a bit. Once I remove the WLAN card (even if I leave it place) the SSD drive will fit nicely in the same area.

I did find out to utilize the USB to ZIF device I needed a ZIF to LIF ZIF cable which is the cable with one tinned side flipped over. So the Kingspec drive I sent back to China was probably a good drive.

My sister has an Acer netbook. Its very nice. I have an Asus "mini" netbook and only utilize it when I travel; it can almost fit in my back pocket. I utilize a customized camera case for it. The ASUS utilize a PCiE type of SSD drive. (I have modded it a bit with an internal blue tooth card)

Right after I set up my basement workbench; I brought my regular laptop downstars and put it on the workbench. I was adjusting the magnifying glass lamp one night and it came out of the bracket dropping on the cover of the laptop; cracking the LCD splinter like. I did find a replacement. It wasn't too difficult to replace. Only thing was I had to remove the LCD and unplug it from the motherboard then split the cover open such that I could replace the LCD and new cover.
- Pete

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I'm not happy about this at all. I mean with Pete hoarding all the jogglers. The amount he has will start affecting market value soon! :)
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

pete_c wrote:
I just opened up a new (refurbished) Joggler (officially now the count is at 12 here..).
:shock:
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I don't actually NEED another netbook as I just got a 12" HP ultraportable for silly money on eBay. It's awesome and still within it's 3 year warrenty.

Need for netbook aside, it's become a 'thing', and i'll likely never rest until it works. I figure the final working netbook will go to the kids for them to destroy. :roll:

roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete_c wrote:Whoa; amazed here today.

I just opened up a new (refurbished) Joggler (officially now the count is at 12 here of these amazing little boxes). It's modded exactly like the previously purchased Joggler. Already has the PATA port and all.

Just getting ready to update the flash to the most recent version of Seabios. I am curious about the NIC card on this one.

Curious cuz the last one appears to have two sound cards in it? It has a "Vega" driver plus the stock audio driver. Anyone ever see this?
I know what you've got there. It's a Joggler with a full OpenFrame 1 board. That's a rarity!

Basically, the Joggler has no DECT hardware (not required by O2, so not normally populated on the board). Yours would seem to have a full board; the Philips VegaOne will be the audio interface to chat to the DECT phone. As far as I knew only the Telefonica Orby had that. Perhaps they've been using Orby boards to repair Jogglers? Makes sense as they're both off sale now.

BTW, if anyone ever finds a Telefonica Orby and the matching phones, I would be very interested in having them! :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Andy. So I have two of those. So is there another wireless interface for the DECT telephone inside of it?

They came from a vendor on Ebay selling quite a few of them for around $50 USD.

Yup here the wife is wondering about a Joggler in just about every room. :ugeek:
- Pete

Auto mater
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Hi...
Is there Coreboot and SeaBIOS somewhere available for download ?
And it works stable with windows xp ?
pete

Post by pete »

-=xXx=- contact inaxeon regarding the new bios.

OK so I have decided that the two newest Jogglers are "keepers". These are using one large metal heatsink mounted in the same fashion as O2 Openpeak Jogglers. The wireless USB stick provided; without the wired antennas; has the antenna integrated into the stick itself as traces with no mini wireless terminals on it. I have taken some pictures of the motherboard and inside of the OpenPeak "refurbished" Joggler and will attach the pictures to this post.
Attachments
WLAN-USB.jpg
MB-2.jpg
MB-1.jpg
LCD-1.jpg
HeatSink-1.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

those metal shims on the atom and GMA and the big heatsink are new for me - not seen those before. Good stuff!

pete

Post by pete »

Those are rubberized and they sit against the metal heatsink. Once side of the metal heatsink has small fins on it. I haven't checked to see how this one runs XP and whether the NIC works well in it. The other one has been SeaBios'd. That said it looks to be that Seabios itself will not work so far with the NIC. Do you have any seabios'd Jogglers with a working XP NIC Mevi?
- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

That silver square on the board is the DECT hardware which is unpopulated on the Joggler.

Do these actually have 'Joggler' embossed onto the back casing?
pete

Post by pete »

They have OpenPeak embossed on the back. So would a DECT phone work with this device?
- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete_c wrote:They have OpenPeak embossed on the back. So would a DECT phone work with this device?
Hehe - so they're really not Jogglers at all! You've got the real deal! :)

If you figure out how to pair them, then yes - that's exactly what the OpenFrame 1 was designed for. There's bound to be loads of DECT stuff on the web for Linux - certainly not my area, I've seen a good few bits of PBX software out there in the web. There should be support in the native OS as well.

In fact, what OS version was supplied on your OpenFrames? I've been compiling a firmware archive and it might be very useful to have...
pete

Post by pete »

I reflashed the first one and never looked. I have not reflashed the second one.

It boots with an OpenPeak logo into the Joggler OS. I can just copy the PNPIII updated Joggler OS over to a flash stick if you want it. The OS looks familiar so I am guessing its the stock one.

I found pictures of the Verizon Openframe offerings from a while ago. Very impressive; geez wondering now if there are some "test" units out there...
Attachments
OF-3.jpg
OF-2.jpg
OF-1.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater