Coreboot and SeaBIOS

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pete

Re: Coreboot and SeaBIOS

Post by pete »

Andy,

You had me going nuts looking for one of these and I found one with phone....ordered it this morning....very cheap and new for $10 USD with free shipping....and brand new in original box....

I already have a Joggler and a phone on my nightstand. Might as well combine the two....
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Jogglers with phones attached for 10 dollars? thats cheap lol
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
pete

Post by pete »

Too cheap...so will wait until I can prove its the real deal. Should be a few days...

It is described as new old stock. Not sure even if the seller knows what it is that he or she is selling.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Thats what i thought, maybe he has a truck load and thinks they are "only" phones :P
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
pete

Post by pete »

Thinking they are the real deal...what the heck...so I buy paperweights.......
- Pete

Auto mater
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

-=xXx=- wrote:Hi...
Is there Coreboot and SeaBIOS somewhere available for download ?
And it works stable with windows xp ?
http://xpander.mattmillman.com/data/files/coreboot.rom

It's only stable on XP when booting from PATA. I'm nearing the point where my life is clear enough to work on it again soon...
pete

Post by pete »

Great news inaxeon !
- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete_c wrote:Andy,

You had me going nuts looking for one of these and I found one with phone....ordered it this morning....very cheap and new for $10 USD with free shipping....and brand new in original box....

I already have a Joggler and a phone on my nightstand. Might as well combine the two....
Blimey, I really must revise my eBaying skills if you've found some of those already! Any chance of a point in the right direction? :)

Haha - we need to search for this now too!

BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I would like a joggler with a phone too :)
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Thanks for rom...
Is there any small wiki how to fit it inside joggler flash ?
Or maybe someone who has already done it can explain it in few words...
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

pete_c wrote:Those are rubberized and they sit against the metal heatsink. Once side of the metal heatsink has small fins on it. I haven't checked to see how this one runs XP and whether the NIC works well in it. The other one has been SeaBios'd. That said it looks to be that Seabios itself will not work so far with the NIC. Do you have any seabios'd Jogglers with a working XP NIC Mevi?
I've not SeaBIOSed the Jogglers with the working NIC in XP. It's on my to do list but my new(old) laptop and windows 8 have been taking up a lot of my fun time.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Mevi.

Yup here see a resources issue coming up with seabios versus the older non functioning NIC error as previously noted.

XP/Seabios running stability is great; reboots are fast etc; runs and runs.
- Pete

Auto mater
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

-=xXx=- wrote:Thanks for rom...
Is there any small wiki how to fit it inside joggler flash ?
Or maybe someone who has already done it can explain it in few words...
Everything has been described earlier on in this thread. Feel free to write a wiki page. I don't think anyone has bothered yet because it's so unfinished.
pete

Post by pete »

=xXx=

Base flash part number is: SST 49LF008A

You might want to purchase a few to play with.

That said you can remove your existing flash in Vivo (being careful) and writing to a new one saving your original rom and flash for the Joggler.

That said the steps to write the newest ROM while in Joggler O2 mode are:

1 - I find it easier to SSH to the Joggler. If you haven't installed it; an easy way to install SSH is to update your Joggler with PnPIII.
2 - SSH to your Joggler
3 - copy the ROM to a USB stick and plug the USB stick into the Joggler (you can just format the stick to FAT32 and copy the downloaded ROM to it)
4 - this is a copy and paste from up the line in posts under this subtopic
# cd /mnt
# ls
coreboot.rom
# modprobe fh
# dd if=/mnt/coreboot.rom of=/dev/fh count=1 bs=1024k
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
# ls
coreboot.rom
# reboot
5 - with the newest ROM you can update to a newer ROM with a Keyboard and USB stick (with newer ROM named xxx) plugged into the Joggler by hitting F12 and following the prompts.

That's all that is involved with updating the ROM.

NOTE: you will not be able to boot up to the Joggler O2 OS with the seabios rom. But if you buy some spare flash chips you can just swap an n O2 flash chip with the seabio'd one.

For installation of an ZIF connector to the Joggler motherboard you can follow the instructions here:

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Adding_a_PATA_port

To test the XP installation just take any of the fine XP builds posted on this forum; remove the EFI partition, substitute the modded for Joggler drivers with the original XP ones and install the NTFS partition on a 1.8 ZIF IPOD drive or better still a small ZIF to SSD drive. I had issues booting to XP via the USB stick methodology but could boot up and run W8 using a USB stick.

Personally here I did this using a USB to ZIF drive connector (LIF TO ZIF cable) copied over the image/files and edited them then connected the ZIF cable to the Joggler ZIF PATA port.

That's all there is to it.

Note the the Seabios is in flux and you are participating in a generously offered compiled just for the Joggler test bios by inaxeon.

Note any "gotchas" that can happen on the way if you are not careful; baby steps and caution.
- Pete

Auto mater
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Thanks...For good explanation...
I read all tread from beginning and saw that have missed some pages...
I already soldered ZIF into joggler now need device to connect to it :-) What you think about zif to SD card adapter ?
And what kind of adapter are you using to connect SATA HDD to zif ? I was thinking to use joggler in car project what's bad that it's internal flash is to slow...
How SeaBios see internal flash ? And 0.6 is the last version now?
pete

Post by pete »

I never tried a ZIF to SD device.

BTW though I modded the Chumby's micro SD OS and used a CF card. (I just chrooted the microsd and used a 16Gb one instead of the 2Gb one that was originally utiliized).

The ZIF SSD though would be faster and it does fit nicely inside of the Joggler. I ordered extended ZIF cables such that I could mount the ZIF SSD to the side next to the wireless USB stick.

I used a USB to ZIF device; actually two types; one with a CF card combo ZIF to USB. The cable though is a ZIF to LIF cable. Easiest for me was just to put the entire OS on the ZIF SSD externally and then just connect the ZIF SSD inside of the Joggler. Prior to this though I tested a ZIF PATA 1.8 IPod drive.

The Seabios / XP build sees the internal flash just fine.

The latest Seabios ROM is what is posted.
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

xXx, I can't comment on a zif-SD adaptor as I've not seen them, but avoid the zif-CF adaptors as they're too big to fit inside (install details and photos are in the Wiki of this site), if you're looking to have a tidy install.. You'll probably have the best results with a zif SSD as they are thin and require no adaptor - zif is just a smaller connector for PATA - but like Pete says above, you'll need long cables to move it to an empty part of the joggler and depending on the brand of SSD, you might need the flip type of cable.

On the current ROM version, the internal flash is visible to XP, W7 and W8. It's not bootable yet, but I believe that's something that Inaxeon has planned for a future release.

On the current ROM, I can boot my build of XP from USB once I had 'unpatched' it from the EFI bootloader and vga.sys and restored the boot sector. I found it worked pretty good, just like on the native EFI rom.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
pete

Post by pete »

Received the extended length ZIF cables today.

Looks like the ZIF SSD drive should fit just fine underneath the wireless stick. Will test functionality on two Jogglers.

Wrong ZIF cable. You need a "flipped" one so I ordered some 15 of the flipped 15cm types. I did test fit it over the wireless USB stick just fine.
- Pete

Auto mater
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Which SSD are you using only I am using Sandisk 1.3" 16gb and it needs a standard zif cable contacts on the same side, blue both ends.
Jogglermaniac
pete

Post by pete »

I will look. I have the both styles of ZIF cables. I will check SSD drives. They are all 16Gb.
- Pete

Auto mater