Coreboot and SeaBIOS

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
inaxeon

Re: Coreboot and SeaBIOS

Post by inaxeon »

It's going to be a while before I figure out this USB hang problem. I've just noticed that Coreboot has no SMM (System Management Mode) support for US15W. Surprise surprise, US15W has always been "half implemented" at best. So I've got to write this code now.

I don't really have much of a chance of getting an insight into this problem without it. I am dreading the day I attempt to push all of this code back to the Coreboot & Seabios community...
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Mevi wrote:Hey, checking after a few days away. I over did it on Friday night and it took me two days to get over it. Ha ha. "never again" I say every time. Until next time. :D

I seem to remember keeping a 'copy' of the original of the unpatched NT files. Good to see it's kinda working for you, Pete. You'll see the USBoot text now that the original boot does it's thang. The only thing that I successfully hid was the USBoot logo that I edited out of the dll. The F8 boot options or any other boot switches are now available to use - unsupported in the XOJ patched files.

I've never investigated the BIOS F16 option as the Rii Mini keyboard I'm using only goes up to F8. :)

Both my test Jogglers are updated to v0.6 and booting w8 flawlessly... The Openpeak Joggler touchscreen doesn't work, but I haven't looked into that just yet. With XP I found that Openpeak Jogglers need to have that particular device's driver 'updated' before it worked again and I suspect that's the same in w8's case.

Will extend the testing to a 3rd Joggler with working NIC. As booting XP is working now, I'll stress test it as my media streamer/ BitTorrent machine and see how it stands up. I have made backups of all the EFI's up til now, so as it stands, there's little stopping me from flashing all 5 Jogglers with Coreboot/SeaBIOS. It's great to have my Jogglers looking so good in their new 'clothes'. again, this is great work Inaxeon. :)
Touchscreen on my Openpeak Joggler works on both Win7 & Win8 in fact if you put win7 and then win8 on a drive you can choose OS with the touchscreen.
Not sure if Linux or Android would be recognised, might try it when I get chance
Jogglermaniac
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

mickchip wrote:Touchscreen on my Openpeak Joggler works on both Win7 & Win8 in fact if you put win7 and then win8 on a drive you can choose OS with the touchscreen.
Not sure if Linux or Android would be recognised, might try it when I get chance
Oh yeah, I remember there was a new GUI bootloader in the developer preview. I'll check that out. Is W7 behaving better now on v0.6?

Inaxeon, i hope your anxiety at posting your code in the seaBIOS community passes. We all think it's great work, whatever they might say. :P
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Win7 & 8 seem very stable at the moment, and near perfect off the pata port, could do with touchscreen driver to enable Tablet PC components.
Jogglermaniac
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

If anyone wants spare FWH chips, PM me. I've got 5 spares here that aren't ever going to get used.
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

Mevi wrote:Inaxeon, i hope your anxiety at posting your code in the seaBIOS community passes. We all think it's great work, whatever they might say. :P
Speaking of code, can at least one person make a backup of the current code. It's here: [Removed]

Let me know when you have and I'll remove that link. Don't really want a thousand people downloading that off my server.
Last edited by inaxeon on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete

Post by pete »

Inaxeon,

I'll take a couple of FWH chips if you feel like posting them to the US?

I have a backup of every version of code posted so far. The assumption will be the same link eh; should it be updated?
Last edited by pete on Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

pete_c wrote:Inaxeon,

I'll take a couple of FWH chips if you feel like posting them to the US here?

I have a backup of every version of code posted so far. The assumption will be the same link eh; should it be updated?
That link I posted is a RAR of the source code, it's 60 megabytes in size, not the same link.
pete

Post by pete »

Downloading it.

The USB SSD drive is way faster than the older USB ZIF Drive. Booted directly from the side port with no hub.
Last edited by pete on Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I'll grab a copy, put it in my Joggler s3 bucket and post a link here... You know, just in case my house burns down. :shock:

mickchip

Post by mickchip »

OK taking a copy now.
COMPLETED
Jogglermaniac
pete

Post by pete »

Wow the USB SSD mode is really fast. Way faster than the EFI XP SP3 setup. I don't understand why its so much faster?
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

mickchip wrote:
Mevi wrote:Hey, checking after a few days away. I over did it on Friday night and it took me two days to get over it. Ha ha. "never again" I say every time. Until next time. :D

I seem to remember keeping a 'copy' of the original of the unpatched NT files. Good to see it's kinda working for you, Pete. You'll see the USBoot text now that the original boot does it's thang. The only thing that I successfully hid was the USBoot logo that I edited out of the dll. The F8 boot options or any other boot switches are now available to use - unsupported in the XOJ patched files.

I've never investigated the BIOS F16 option as the Rii Mini keyboard I'm using only goes up to F8. :)

Both my test Jogglers are updated to v0.6 and booting w8 flawlessly... The Openpeak Joggler touchscreen doesn't work, but I haven't looked into that just yet. With XP I found that Openpeak Jogglers need to have that particular device's driver 'updated' before it worked again and I suspect that's the same in w8's case.

Will extend the testing to a 3rd Joggler with working NIC. As booting XP is working now, I'll stress test it as my media streamer/ BitTorrent machine and see how it stands up. I have made backups of all the EFI's up til now, so as it stands, there's little stopping me from flashing all 5 Jogglers with Coreboot/SeaBIOS. It's great to have my Jogglers looking so good in their new 'clothes'. again, this is great work Inaxeon. :)
Touchscreen on my Openpeak Joggler works on both Win7 & Win8 in fact if you put win7 and then win8 on a drive you can choose OS with the touchscreen.
Android would be interesting :-)
Happy Joggling
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Going to attempt soldering pata connectors on two more of my jogglers, I think pata is the way to go.
might order a 32gb one and put a few OS's on it and check out the Win8 multi boot from touch screen
Jogglermaniac
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

I could use another PATA joggler too, I ordered another 10 connectors more than a month ago, no sign of them yet.

Also going to buy a 32GB for Win7 experimentation. 16B too darn small!

Going to use the 16GB for this project: http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Using_l ... he_Joggler which will run XP for now, as it seems to be awesomely stable on 0.6.
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Taken me hours of trying to get this to install but finally managed it.
Kept freezing up while installing, not sure if it's my CDR or just that it's very finicky.
Right now the drivers to install.
Attachments
Windows Fundamentals
Windows Fundamentals
Jogglermaniac
acesabe

Post by acesabe »

Been following this thread with interest for a while now (well ok not so interested in booting windows, but hey!), What interests m eis the possibility to use PXE boot to load the OS to the Joggler, from network connected computer. This obviates the need for use of any internal/external storage so clearly advantageous. I'm under the impression that Efi supports this, but getting the Jogglers implimentation to do it would probably be another matter! With SeaBIOS however, this should be easy no?! Infact just installing Plop boot manager might be a useful thing to do as this will offer all possible boot methods/options at start...Just some thoughts...
pete

Post by pete »

Very nice mickchip.

I might go ahead and try to solder a 50 pin connector myself. I have a soldering station. What size tip did you utilize to solder on to your PATA connection.
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Inaxeon says the Joggler main board has no BootROM for the NIC so no PXE bootstack, so you'd need to investigate a purely software implemementation of PXE and on some kind of boot media like a flash stick (maybe the internal flash at a later stage). Have a Google search and see what you find... I'm sure Pete with his army of POE networked Jogglers will be interested to see what's available out there.
Last edited by Mevi on Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mevi

Post by Mevi »

mickchip wrote:Taken me hours of trying to get this to install but finally managed it.
Kept freezing up while installing, not sure if it's my CDR or just that it's very finicky.
Right now the drivers to install.
That should be a good OS for the Joggler. I used it briefly as a Virtual PC OS - although I never got it working on the Joggler.