Coreboot and SeaBIOS

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
mickchip

Re: Coreboot and SeaBIOS

Post by mickchip »

Wow I actually got something to work (sort of).
This is Dam Small Linux running off the CD, my usb keyboard seems to work! but the integrated mouse pointer doesn't
will have to try it using a hub and seperate mouse, there are some errors as it boots but it gets there
Attachments
Sorry about the quality, taken with my galaxy tab
Sorry about the quality, taken with my galaxy tab
Jogglermaniac
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

Good work. First time I've seen anything with a GUI work.

Tell us any interesting looking dmesg output/errors
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you inaxeon,

I guess for the sake of a rush in slo mode then I can just write the rom to the flash for now knowing that I won't really brick my Joggler (virtually anyways).

I do not have the PATA port ZIF config so fast forward to my alternatives for booting whatever would be? (read (post) USB stuff)?
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

Boot from USB seems to work pretty good. just do that
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

One comment on your "to do" list on post #1, Inaxeon, some Jogglers boot full bright, some boot dim. I think it is a OpenPeak vs O2 thing going by the Jogglers I have here.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
pete

Post by pete »

Great stuff inaxeon.

Wrote to flash:
# cd /mnt
# ls
coreboot.rom
# modprobe fh
# dd if=/mnt/coreboot.rom of=/dev/fh count=1 bs=1024k
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
# ls
coreboot.rom
# reboot
Decided to go to a Ubuntu rescue CD. Using a small USB hub with my Lenova mini keyboard/mouse. Switched over to a generic keyboard.
Used UNetbootin to create a quickie boot stick.
Last edited by pete on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

DSL
Now have mouse & keyboard working, DVD in external USB, HUB connected to internal USB with keyboard & mouse
Ethernet adaptor not recognised so no internet.
Jogglermaniac
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

Mevi wrote:One comment on your "to do" list on post #1, Inaxeon, some Jogglers boot full bright, some boot dim. I think it is a OpenPeak vs O2 thing going by the Jogglers I have here.
I'm pretty sure the Joggler community hasn't had a Windows IEGD build which has code in it to set the backlight brightness before, if true, I'd imagine the behaviour would be pretty random. It'd just be luck of the draw as to whether or not the PWM register ends up with a value which sets 100%, minimum, or something in between.

This IEGD build explicitly sets the backlight brightness to 100% on load. It also has a 100% correct DTD too, so there won't be any offsets.

http://xpander.mattmillman.com/data/fil ... Y3LG4A.rar

Give it a try on a Joggler which boots 'dim'. I'm reasonably confident it'll solve the problem.
pete

Post by pete »

So far I can get a keyboard working for a bit. I am playing with a virgin Joggler using only the side USB port. I didn't want to take it apart so playing unsuccessfully with a small USB hub. The USB SSD stick does boot along with the CDROM and ZIF drive.
Last edited by pete on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Pete

Auto mater
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

pete_c wrote:So far I can get a keyboard working for a bit. I am playing with a virgin Joggler using only the side USB port. I didn't want to take it apart so playing unsuccessfully with a small USB hub.
Hubs are not working for you?
pete

Post by pete »

The hub works with the keyboard and I can move around in the initial menus; then it just quits. Looking for my USB floppy drive...lost somewhere in this house. Going nuts here now looking for the USB floppy for the sole purpose of seeing it boot from a floppy disk.
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

You know I'd have to try it... an install of W7 patched to boot from USB bluescreens very shortly after the progress bar appears. :D
I hoped to try Dan's Windows loader, of the type that spoofs a valid SLIC in the BIOS, with fingers cross that W7 saw a more complete BIOS and booted. No joy.

I used the PWBoot method you can find here: http://reboot.pro/6851/ Something to keep bookmarked for future use. Reboot.pro is a great resource, by the way. Still as awfully slow to boot W7 on my lappy from USB as the last time I tried it. Windows 8 supports booting from USB and they call it Windows To Go. You can only access the USB drive storage from explorer, you can't access local drives with WTG.
IMG_0134.JPG
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

Mevi wrote:You know I'd have to try it... an install of W7 patched to boot from USB bluescreens very shortly after the progress bar appears. :D
Oh yeah. I know that crash. It's trying to use SMM to enter ACPI mode. Not exactly a good idea with how I've got it set up at the moment. I've already fixed that and another 2 blue screens after it. Now working on the next problem which is more of a 'hang'...
pete

Post by pete »

I get to a cli shell but can't type anything.

Taking apart the "test" Joggler sacrificial version and will utilize the combo Lenova wireless keyboard mouse dongle on the inside USB port.

Tried DSL via SSD USB stick and CD drive via USB and both boot fine but keyboard / combo wireless quits after a bit plugged into internal USB port.
Last edited by pete on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Pete

Auto mater
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

pete_c wrote:I get to a cli shell but can't type anything.

Taking apart the "test" Joggler sacrificial version and will utilize the combo Lenova wireless keyboard mouse dongle on the inside USB port.
I wouldn't worry about that too much. I think what happens is Linux takes over the UHCI from the BIOS, except something's broke (currently seems its IRQ is misconfigured) so you lose the USB. I have nfi how mickchip has DSL working so well given how broken everything is at the moment.

Sorry guys, I know everything's really broken... Maybe I should have waited a little longer before I gave alpha builds out :P
pete

Post by pete »

That you gave us an opportunity to "play" is great!

Not necessary to apologize there inaxeon.

Swapped the inside USB connection with the outside one and now the keyboard works. Trying the combo and it does the same.

It appears too that its echoing the keyboard keys twice everytime I type one character; I see two and that won't let me type commands.

That said the error I see is "Cannot find device with /sysrcde.dat. Retrying."

So to get back to pre testing; just swap the EFI chip out and rewrite the flash as documented?
- Pete

Auto mater
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

I've just uploaded another build (same URL), not a huge improvement, but it doesn't blue screen trying to boot Win 7 any more, just hangs instead :P

pete_c wrote:So to get back to pre testing; just swap the EFI chip out and rewrite the flash as documented?
Yes. Now you've even got another version to play with.
pete

Post by pete »

I'm thinking too if I get to a cli then most likely a scripted boot with rom update would work eh?
- Pete

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

where do you guys buy your spare efi chips? should maybe get a couple in case things go awry!
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
pete

Post by pete »

Found them at Mouser here in the US.

Found here too and I wonder if we can order them flashed with the O2 OS?

http://bios-repair.co.uk/Information/Contact.html
- Pete

Auto mater