Coreboot and SeaBIOS

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
inaxeon

Re: Coreboot and SeaBIOS

Post by inaxeon »

Quick update. In typical programmer fashion, I've been adding new features without fixing existing bugs...

I've had to put the ACPI work aside for a bit and implement the "self programming" feature, because, I've had it with this chip swapping business. Unfortunately it was a little more work than I thought it'd be.

I've just uploaded another build to the usual location which can flash the FWH from USB stick, but you'll have to do one last hot socket to get it on there ;-)

Instructions for use:

1) Load another build onto a usb stick formatted as FAT16/FAT32 and call it "upgrade.rom".
2) Connect USB stick to joggler, at the same time removing other USB storage devices
3) Press 'F7' when prompted (when the SeaBIOS version first shows)
4) It'll prompt you to optionally hot socket the FWH. You shouldn't need to do this any more, but can if needed.

It doesn't matter if it's a coreboot build, an image of the OpenPeak EFI or an image of Celine Dion, It'll flash anything without asking questions, just so long as it's exactly 1MB in size.

Unlike the OpenPeak 'fh' kernel module, I support two different FWH's:

* ST M50FW080
* SST 49LF008A

Operating system bootability is still pretty non existant.

I know this isn't much of an improvement, but I needed this, and it'd be useful to know if this works on all possible USB sticks and Joggler units. Feel free to do some testing...
Last edited by inaxeon on Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete

Post by pete »

inaxeon

Great news!

I haven't ordered any flash chips yet. Should I order both ST and SST chips anyways?

I have yet to open up another Joggler. Just using the untouched Jogglers for testing (few of those sitting around).
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

pete_c wrote:Should I order both ST and SST chips anyways?
It's up to you with the ST's. They do have the advantage that someone's selling them on eBay, and they're a better quality chip, but you're not going to gain anything if you've already got some SST's.

I mean sure :P Grab a couple, they're only $5 + shipping. It'd be good to know that my M50FW080 code works on other Jogglers.
pete

Post by pete »

Finding the SST's on Ebay but no ST's. I don't have either so was going to order both.

Found this for the ST - chip looks different though on # 120928636519 on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M50FW080N5G-M ... 1c27e88e67

and this for the SST's

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/49LF008A-33-4 ... 1c278384cc

Taking the Joggler #1 and #2 to the Kitchen table tomorrow to do the hot swap; easier for me.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Don't get the
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/49LF008A-33-4 ... 1c278384cc
they are not the correct ones, the first link is fine but you can only program them from the latest core boot.
Jogglermaniac
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

I now almost have a Linux kernel booting with ACPI enabled...

Also solved most of the IRQ routing problems too.

Getting there getting there :P
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks guys!

I am stuck right now. I have the motherboard flipped flash chip up. I have a set of little jeweler screw drivers and I see the metal clip on the top and the two plastic panels the hinge on the sides. How do I remove the clip to flip u the doors? Does the metal clip just slide frontways off?

I read:
the latch pushes inward (away from the edge of the PCB) a small amount and then lifts.

I tried to use a small screwdriver to push it inward and it doesn't seem to be moving.

Got it. I wasn't pushing the tab inward hard enough for fear I would break it.

Now to part II next Joggler.
- Pete

Auto mater
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Yes that's right, I just use my fingernail.
It only moves a small amount
Jogglermaniac
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

inaxeon wrote:I now almost have a Linux kernel booting with ACPI enabled...

Also solved most of the IRQ routing problems too.

Getting there getting there :P
That's fantastic, can't wait till we get the next release, booting DSL is a bit hit & miss at the moment.
Jogglermaniac
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

mickchip wrote:booting DSL is a bit hit & miss at the moment.
I'm using DSL to debug this stuff at present, so definitely will be better next release. Debugging ACPI on the Windows kernel is a complete nightmare.
roobarb!

Coreboot and SeaBIOS

Post by roobarb! »

Just have to say, what a great effort on this! I've been following closely and it's fantastic. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

Hello roobarb!

I want to write the original flash image before writing the newer rom posted. Is this the image that I use:

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/jo ... 109.img.gz

and write it in this manner:
gzip -dc joggler_reflash_<version>.img.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/sdX bs=1M
This opens up a new world for the Joggler. Great stuff!!
- Pete

Auto mater
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

pete_c wrote:Hello roobarb!

I want to write the original flash image before writing the newer rom posted. Is this the image that I use:

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/jo ... 109.img.gz

and write it in this manner:
gzip -dc joggler_reflash_<version>.img.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/sdX bs=1M
This opens up a new world for the Joggler. Great stuff!!
You mean the factory EFI?

Download it from here, then use the exact same instructions you used to get coreboot on there to flash it.

http://xpander.mattmillman.com/data/fil ... io_efi.rom
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Don't seem to be able to boot DSL with coreboot v0.3 hangs at booting the kernel, swapping back to to 0.1 again.
Jogglermaniac
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

mickchip wrote:Don't seem to be able to boot DSL with coreboot v0.3 hangs at booting the kernel, swapping back to to 0.1 again.
Yeah. Skip it. Wait till I get this ACPI stuff sorted, that's why it's crashing. 0.1 had absolutely no ACPI which is why it worked.
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Flashed O2 Joggler to v0.3 and used the new F7 function to hot-swap and flash a second chip from an Openpeak. Both chips work in their respective Joggler and both have gone on to reflash a few more times with no problems.

The Openpeak that I used was previously unusable, stuck on the Openpeak logo. Keyboards that I used to 'hit esc' did not work. Now it works fine with Coreboot, very happy. :)
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

Mevi wrote:Flashed O2 Joggler to v0.3 and used the new F7 function to hot-swap and flash a second chip from an Openpeak. Both chips work in their respective Joggler and both have gone on to reflash a few more times with no problems.

The Openpeak that I used was previously unusable, stuck on the Openpeak logo. Keyboards that I used to 'hit esc' did not work. Now it works fine with Coreboot, very happy. :)
What do you mean by an OpenPeak?

Have you got one of those OpenPeak branded thingys roobarb! is currently playing with? (Unbranded OpenFrame I think)
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

No, not one of those. I was referring to O2 firmware Jogglers and Openpeak firmware Jogglers. Each displays a different boot logo, but the internal hardware looks identical. they are all stickered O2 on the reverse. I've got 3 O2 and two Openpeak Jogglers.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
pete

Post by pete »

Thank-you inaxeon.

Personally here just want to "practice" the hot swap flash chip swap thing such that I am comfortable doing it. Must be an age thing as I spent much time yesterday removing and replacing the flash chip with the joggler off to practice. Thinking a small heatsink on the CPU such that I can just leave it open for a bit.

Looks like the new Seabios ROM works for Mevi; that said it'll be a quick hot swap flash to the old EFI on my O2 Joggler; reboot to see it working; then another flash to the new 0.3 seabios rom.

I'm am doing this on the kitchen table as my office desk is literally cluttered this days with multiple little touchscreens and desktop monitors (gone to the multiple home office 16:9's lately). Due to WAF using the kitchen table pushes me to time constraints on this endeavor.
- Pete

Auto mater
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

Mevi wrote:No, not one of those. I was referring to O2 firmware Jogglers and Openpeak firmware Jogglers. Each displays a different boot logo, but the internal hardware looks identical. they are all stickered O2 on the reverse. I've got 3 O2 and two Openpeak Jogglers.
Can you make me an image of the EFI which displays the OpenPeak logo? I'd like to take a look at that.