Coreboot and SeaBIOS

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
danfoshizzle

Re: Coreboot and SeaBIOS

Post by danfoshizzle »

Haha not a race? nobody told me that :P have not had a chance to play yet though, will probably be tomorrow or the next day!
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

Mevi wrote:I'm expecting Dan will have Win7 or 8 running pretty soon, not that it's a race or anything. ;P
Unfortunately there's a wee bit more boring stuff to get through before we're going to see Win7+ run on one of these...
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

inaxeon wrote:
Mevi wrote:I'm expecting Dan will have Win7 or 8 running pretty soon, not that it's a race or anything. ;P
Unfortunately there's a wee bit more boring stuff to get through before we're going to see Win7+ run on one of these...

Yeah I realise that, still great work though!
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Hi everyone not been on for a while
Anyway just to answer one of the questions, I have the pata port connected to a super-talent 16gb 1.3" ssd.
It obviously isn't recognised by the EFI bios, but when you have loaded windows via usb and open explorer there it is.
I have tried loading efi drivers for ide from the shell but could not get any to work
Inaxeon I wouldn't mind having a go with your alpha on the pata port.

By the way I have Win7 booting off USB on my Benq S6 as the internal SSD is only 2gb, I used nt6 fast installer
Jogglermaniac
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

mickchip wrote:Inaxeon I wouldn't mind having a go with your alpha on the pata port.
I have PM'd you a link to it. The PATA port is actually the most reliable boot interface from SeaBIOS right now, but I'm not guaranteeing that it's going to work for you. I've tested it using a ZIF to SATA adapter I constructed, that at least, works pretty good.

I've actually got one of those SSDs on the way too (bought one off eBay). so if it doesn't work, I'll make it work.

EDIT: It just arrived and I've booted the 'operating system to own them all' from it (Nothing much else works yet ;-)).

I suspect you won't have any problems with it

mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Thanks for PM with the link, have flashed a spare bios chip and stuck msdos on the pata and hey presto I have a c:\> prompt.
I've noticed that if you put an XP disc in the usb cd drive you get the (setup is inspecting your computer) then usb seems to turn off.
Similar thing seems to happen with netbook remix cd. Also tried gparted cd which went the furthest and then errored out.
This is really great, but not sure I can be much help the last programming I did was on 6502 & Z80 processors.
Jogglermaniac
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

mickchip wrote: This is really great, but not sure I can be much help the last programming I did was on 6502 & Z80 processors.
It's a shame you didn't program the XT/8086 - 16-bit programming skills have been invaluable on this project ;-)
Last edited by inaxeon on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Tried playing with this today, but am having trouble flashing the new bios, what steps are you guys taking to get the new bios flashed?
more to come!!

inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

I'm using a gang programmer so I'm not much help. mickchip - care to chip in? Did you use the built in OS?

This page basically describes the process I would have thought: http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Boot_Logo

Code: Select all

$ modprobe fh
$ dd if=/mnt/coreboot.rom of=/dev/fh count=1 bs=1024k
I am literally just guessing here. I should probably fire up the built in OS and try this at some point.
Last edited by inaxeon on Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Cheers will give it a try in a bit! (late night tonight weather is too warm for sleep lol)
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

inaxeon,

Can I give your base a try here?
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Recover ... ricked_EFI

count=1 bs=1024k is needed to write it all at once in one go. Don't think it worked without that when I tried.
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Yes thats how I did it, loaded the o2 os put coreboot.rom on a stick and plugged in.
Then using windows on my pc, opened a command prompt and typed telnet 192.168.1.9 (my jogglers address), used letmein for login

$ modprobe fh
$ dd if=/mnt/coreboot.rom of=/dev/fh count=1 bs=1024k

I have a hole cut in the back of my test joggler, which makes it easy to hot swap bios chips.
Jogglermaniac
lamb.chop

Post by lamb.chop »

What a fantatsic mix of old & new, loving this, keep up the excellent work!

inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

mickchip wrote:I have a hole cut in the back of my test joggler, which makes it easy to hot swap bios chips.
That is a great idea! Once I get this ACPI stuff sorted, I'm thinking I might write one of those "Press F7 to update the BIOS" thingys going forward, rather than trying to emulate the interrupt calls DOS flashing utils make.
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

The bricked efi was going to be the method I used, so good to know that works. Going to the seaside today with the kids, so I'll get it flashed tonight if all goes to plan.

Mick, was it you that had tried all those BIOS from other poulsbo machines?
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

Mevi wrote:The bricked efi was going to be the method I used, so good to know that works. Going to the seaside today with the kids, so I'll get it flashed tonight if all goes to plan.
Definitely works. I also just hacked a large hole in the back of one of my Jogglers, It's a little tricky to get the chip in and out when fully assembled though. Also nice to know, if you put the chip in backwards, it doesn't blow it up :-)
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

To insert and remove the bios ic's I use a pencil with a bit of bluetack on the flat end, works great.
Oh and yes it was me that tried all those bios's 17 in all, so I'm quite used to changing chips.
Jogglermaniac
pete

Post by pete »

Is there a source out there for the hot swap chips (bios ICs)?

And curious if there is a source for some "motherboards" parts cache?

This all reminds me of a forum I used to frequent a few years back.

http://www.linux-hacker.net/cgi-bin/Ult ... raBoard.pl
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

pete_c wrote:Is there a source out there for the hot swap chips (bios ICs)?
If in the UK, This guy (Brian) is a cornucopia of everything BIOS related: http://bios-repair.co.uk/

The FWH supplied with the Joggler (SST 49LF008A) is pretty commonly available from the usuals, Farnell, Digikey, Mouser

Personally I don't use the SST 49LF008A because it only supports 'slow program' mode. A better alternative is ST M50FW080 which has +VPP 'fast program' mode but it's a long discontinued part, so getting them would require using the IC trading platforms i.e. SeekIC. I might buy some more if I break my current ones.
Last edited by inaxeon on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.