Coreboot and SeaBIOS

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Mevi

Re: Coreboot and SeaBIOS

Post by Mevi »

Installing the intel gma500 driver on w8 on the EMGD vbios gives the familiar SYSYTEM_THREAD_NOT_HANDLED IGDKMD32.SYS blue screen from a few pages back. During install the screen refreshes twice before the ":(" appears.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

Bummer. I have had this crazy idea of proxying the BIOS INT10 calls, to emulate the GMA VBIOS, in order to get the GMA driver working. I will probably _have_ to do this if I ever want to get, say, Ubuntu to boot and work from LiveCD with the gma500_gfx driver. Probably a bit of a job though, and this is low priority right now.

I'm more concerned about the USB power management problem, which I've been looking at tonight.
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Just installed win8 lite that dan pointed us to, tried the gma500 driver and it just crashes
but then reboots and its back to the base display driver
Jogglermaniac
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

GMA500enabler.kext will not load so I don't think we will see a graphical screen at the moment,
I don't know if it is because of the bios or some other reason
Jogglermaniac
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

The GMA500 driver doesn't load because there's no VBT in the EMGD or IEGD VBIOS. Only the GMA VBIOS contains this by default. I was hoping to proxy INT10 calls and insert one, but it seems that the GMA drivers instead grope around in the lower BIOS area to get it, rather than using INT10. so it's got to be in the binary.

You guys want another Google-fu project? Find me that BIOS! I notice that the GMA drivers (GMA3150 for example) include a vbios/ directory in the zip file with the .BSF and .DAT file needed to build it, but I can't seem to find this anywhere for the GMA500. I know it exists because I've got the .DAT file, I can even see the VBT, but I can't edit it because I'm missing the .BSF file.

EDIT: the bsf script from the GMA3600 driver looks like it may be able to edit the GMA500 vbios. Will try it soon.
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Don't know if this is of any use, but you need to be registered as a privileged member to download

https://www-ssl.intel.com/p/s/en_US/emb ... login=true
Jogglermaniac
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

I haven't been able to find it on EDC. Normally anything GMA related isn't looked after by EDC anyway. Hrm...
pete

Post by pete »

Testing here with the preview version of W8 (fat). Very impressed. (I am slow and older these days so it took a bit to catch up).

I installed the previously posted video driver/audio drivers and an external USB NIC. I left it on all night and it went to sleep or suspended. That said when I touched the screen this morning it woke and booted.

Very impressive guys.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Pete, I'm interested to know if the preview version of W8 exhibited the same excessive memory usage with the EMGD graphics driver. With the RTM version of W8, everything slows to a crawl.

pete

Post by pete »

I've been playing some and it doesn't seem to be slowing down. That's a relative term though as I have not played at all with windows 8 yet.

I disabled metro on boot bypassing it; it's still there though. I am using an external USB NIC on it right now. Adding TTS to see how it works.
Attachments
JogglerW8-3a.jpg
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I read somewhere that the hack to bypass metro is disabled in the RTM. I don't think it'll be long until someone works out how to remove metro all together and put in a proper start menu!

From your screenshot, it's still hogging a lot of memory, but It sound like you and Mick aren't seeing the horrible slowdown I do.

The Jogglers that had a non working NIC under XP are still the same under W7 & 8, which is a shame.

pete

Post by pete »

Yes; still see that issue with the NIC.

Making it slower though adding .net 3.5

Here's a quickie reg fix for Metro bypass (not disable). Not sure if it will work for you though.

I am using a very slow ZIF drive connected via USB here. Might "try" the USB SSD stick just to test today.
Attachments
GoToClassicDesktopRegFiles.zip
(1019 Bytes) Downloaded 165 times
- Pete

Auto mater
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

Notes on GMA BIOS (No action needed):

Only release observed so far: Poulsbo GMA BIOS build 1000. Can't find a download for it anywhere, but it's used in the Crown beach BIOS v19 (UEFI), Asus Eeepc, and Dell mini. Possibly others too. Easy to extract with MMTOOL.

945GM and GMA3600 BSF scripts probably aren't right. 945GM looks pretty close, GMA3600 not so much. May only need minimal modification. Correct script is likely called "psb_1000.bsf". Can't find it anywhere. Seems that GMA500 is the only to never have had a public GMA BIOS release.
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Not sure what this is but the only thing I could find
http://bios-mods.com/resources/Option%2 ... ld%200016/

Got this from inside the file
0016Intel(r)Poulsbo PCI Accelerated SVGA BIOS
Build Number: 0016 03/25/2008 08:13:03
DECOMPILATION OR DISASSEMBLY PROHIBITED
Copyright (C) 2000-2008 Intel Corp. All Rights Reserved.
Jogglermaniac
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

I'm going to put that aside for a bit - editing the VBT is pretty icky.

In the mean time, I've made an interesting observation. For me, booting XP from USB is basically almost impossible, it never works. If I boot with the Uniprocessor HAL, it works a lot better.

This is interesting, because, The "Mevi" XP build, (admittedly the only one I've ever used when booted from the EFI), for some reason, also boots with the Uniprocessor HAL by default, and I have absolutely no idea why... but boy this works good.
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

Well that was an interesting experiment.

I put the GMA500 VBIOS into one of my builds, and ran it on the Crown Beach, the GMA500 driver works. Shame it insists on DVI as an output by default, because we don't have that on the Joggler. I've only tried Win 7 though. I haven't gotten my head into Win 8 yet, so not sure if that's going to make a difference there.

But what's far more interesting is how this board, which with its factory BIOS, runs everything perfectly, was instantly transformed into a heinously unreliable pile of **** with my Coreboot build. Having this direct comparison is going to be interesting, right after I kick this headache.

Just thinking out loud...
pete

Post by pete »

Had a mishap here in the last couple of days - lost the house AC which is not really good considering my wife likes to keep the house at around 68 degrees F most of the time during the summer. Can't get it replaced until TUE due to this being a holiday weekend (a few hours to drain the freon lines, cap them replace outside compressor and refill the freon lines). Meanwhile purchased small window ac units to cover rooms which my wife uses yesterday. Its kind of different here in the US that over there when it is warm. Its having ice cubes always available, driving a car with the ac set to full cool and walking into a house that's "configured" more like an ice box rather than ambient temperatures. By default the "basement" is always cool as it is underground; but the second floor (3rd level) is warm by default. That said WAF comes first for me here.

Meanwhile just read your post and looking a running XP and running W8. Yup I see the old XP running a uniprocessor HAL; except it doesn't describe it as such. I have Jogglers sprinkled around the house running O2, Linux and XP right now; so I looked.
- Pete

Auto mater
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

I think the OpenPeak EFI disables Hyper-Threading, so XP loads the Uniprocessor HAL. It works a lot better like this, but it's not 100%, so that's not the problem.

I wrote up a legacy IRQ routing config today, XP works even better now, no more 7B BSODs, also got the internal eMMC working too.

But the "hang" remains.
pete

Post by pete »

Just noticed that the W8 seabios installation also shows a uniprocessor HAL and not a multiprocessor HAL. Here is the W8 and the XP picture both indicating a uniprocessor HAL configuration in the registry.
Attachments
CPU-HAL-XP.jpg
CPU-HAL-W8.jpg
Last edited by pete on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
- Pete

Auto mater
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Which rom version are we on now, think I may have got mixed up a bit.
Oh and now my ethernet has stopped working for some reason, no problem though
just stuck the wirless usb from the joggler in the usb hub and it worked straight away
Jogglermaniac