Coreboot and SeaBIOS

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
mickchip

Re: Coreboot and SeaBIOS

Post by mickchip »

Hi Pete
Had exactly the same problem with Kingspec SSD, DOA.
So I ordered sandisk 16gb ones and they are working OK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140740083656? ... 1423.l2649
Jogglermaniac
pete

Post by pete »

Yes; Thank you mickchip

Those are the ones I ordered and they were about the same price as the Kingspec SSDs. I ordered them from the US though. Noticed that my last three HKG / China orders have taken 3X longer where as before it was always a week or so; now its been 3-4 weeks.

I wrote to the Kingspec vendor yesterday and have not seen a reply.

Relating to the SeaBIOS (?) noticed that in XP mode I am seeing a different message in device properties than before on the built in network interface.

It states something about not enough free resources to load the NIC drivers. I have never seen this message before. Maybe its just me though.

I did a quick google search on the message and it seems common with W7 and Realtek NIC cards.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

I ended up with a full refund from Ebay on the Kingspec SSD ZIF drive (including shipping). That said two weeks ago ordered another Joggler. I took this one apart this weekend after testing its functionality. I was surprised at what I saw on the inside. Is there typically a microphone inside? The ZIF PATA connector was already there. There is another cable running to the top of the case which I do not know its purpose.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Don't think there's a mic but the light sensor for screen dimming is on the top so it might be a cable for that.
pete

Post by pete »

I wrote to the vendor and he said that they were just reselling they from the UK to US. That said the modded Joggler appears to have two sound cards in it.

Its an older Open Peak one. There are more cables in it making it difficult to take apart. (also taps into a second USB port in it).

I will see about taking it down to individual pieces and will post some pictures.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Interesting in that I am getting a follow up from Kingspec on the DOA ZIF SSD drive.

So far a full refund of purchase has been issued. Today a credit for shipping of the Kingspec SSD drive back to China was issued.

Even the contact name is pleasing; Amelia (there is a story here)....

This is way different than the last Kingspec USB SSD that I had a "crash and burn" thing with; then the vendor just stated that i could purchase a new one for a lesser cost; but offered no refund, no followup other than initial email et al.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

SSD ZIF Confusion

Post by pete »

I received my newest ZIF SSD drive. I am confused though. What should the orientation of the ZIF cable be on the ZIF drive / motherboard?

The ZIF 1.8" hard drive works well with the ZIF to USB device connector and on the Joggler Motherboard.

I cannot get the ZIF SSD to work though.

Is it foil side looking at the connector on the ZIF SSD or down?
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

mickchip

What type of ZIF cable are you using with the ZIF SSD drive?

Are you configuring your ZIF SSD drive en vivo connected to the Joggler?

I cannot see mine when I plug it into a ZIF to USB device. It might be the ZIF cable though. (ordered a few of these).

When I remove the ZIF 1.8 "Ipod" drive and replace it with the ZIF SSD it just freezes on initial boot.

Actually purchased the 16Gb SSD for $10 used and guessing that this one was also DOA. So purchased a new 16Gb SSD ZIF drive today.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Wow.
Major feedback from Kingspec here. I sent them back the SSD drive. I have showed them pics of what I am doing. They are helping me getting this endeavor working and convincing me to utilize their product. I am impressed with Amelia (customer service contact).
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Gotta love customer care like that.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

Just to let you guys know, I haven't forgotten about this project. I've got a whole bunch more code which needs finishing off and making into a release, hoping this will fix some of the current problems.

I have spotted a major problem with my ACPI FADT table which I'm seriously hoping was the cause of all these hangs.

Just been so burned out from having to do this while working full time (staring at a screen 40 hours a week + another 20 of messing with Jogglers = major headache). Difficult to dedicate the time to it lately. Coming soon hopefully!
pete

Post by pete »

Great news ther inaxeon!
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Yeah, great news. V0.7 still going strong here, so don't make yourself ill. :)
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
chaplin1999

Post by chaplin1999 »

:P hi!
Which rom version are we on now?and where i can download ?
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

pete_c wrote:mickchip

What type of ZIF cable are you using with the ZIF SSD drive?

Are you configuring your ZIF SSD drive en vivo connected to the Joggler?

I cannot see mine when I plug it into a ZIF to USB device. It might be the ZIF cable though. (ordered a few of these).

When I remove the ZIF 1.8 "Ipod" drive and replace it with the ZIF SSD it just freezes on initial boot.

Actually purchased the 16Gb SSD for $10 used and guessing that this one was also DOA. So purchased a new 16Gb SSD ZIF drive today.

Sorry about the delay in replying, just got back off holiday.
I am using a blue both ends contacts on the same side zif cable
Attachments
untitled.JPG
Jogglermaniac
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you Mickchip

I was initially testing with a USB ZIF to SSD device. Today finally got the right combo ZIF cable / ZIF USB configuration. That said my working ZIF combo to USB device is using a "flipped" ZIF cable such that the tinning side is opposite normal ZIF cables (I have now all of the various types of ZIF cables known to exists). I have a few very small ZIF cables that should do the trick for the inside of the Joggler.

That said I have also been "collecting" various size SSD to ZIF drives for my collection of Jogglers.

I am mounting a new ZIF SSD drive inside of one Joggler today and putting the case back together such that I can remove the device from my workbench and leave it wherever in the house.

Today too I switched over to using the Digi powered USB hub. It works great. I just did a copy of the internal SSD to the external SSD via USB.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Looking to close the Joggler case for the first SSD enabled Joggler. I was just going to utilize a piece of a static bag and tape that to the motherboard with some black electrical tape as I have none of that yellow tape.

Really not sure if this would be a recommended methodology and the preference would be to utilize yellow tape.
- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Coreboot and SeaBIOS

Post by roobarb! »

pete_c wrote:Really not sure if this would be a recommended methodology and the preference would be to utilize yellow tape.
The yellow stuff is kapton tape. It's great (but a little pricey).
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Coreboot and SeaBIOS

Post by roobarb! »

pete_c wrote:Really not sure if this would be a recommended methodology and the preference would be to utilize yellow tape.
The yellow stuff is kapton tape. It's great (but a little pricey).
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Andy!

I made up a little sleave of paper. That said though I am having some issues with the position putting pressure on the back of the LCD when I close and screw down the lid.
- Pete

Auto mater