OpenPeak 2 and Joggler developer giveaway!

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Hi,

I have been fortunate enough thanks to a certain individual to be having some joggler and openpeak 2 units posted to me.

Not arrived yet, but I thought to mention it, and let you know, my plan is first to sort out Roobarb! with one, and I might have another one going for another dev. no charge of course. I actually have someone in mind, but should there not be enough units for devs, we will have to have a raffle or something :)

massive thanks to the person who helped me, and I hope you understand I am gifting to devs first etc.

Cheers!

* when I say no charge, I may ask for some postage, as I had to pay towards the postage - which I used the generous donations from the xbmc4xbox project for. I hope they don't mind that is isn't specifially xbox related, but certainly xbmc related!

If you are a joggler dev, and you want one. let me know (in this thread). thanks!
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: OpenPeak 2 and Joggler developer giveaway!

Post by BuZz »

For those that are not aware of the XBMC4XBOX project - you can visit the new site (on this server) at http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/

ps. despite my badly worded topic, we are not giving away developers ;-) although reading it back, I realise I aint write good after wines.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Great news Buzz ,
it would be great if a skinner/dev without a Joggler could get a hold of one ,i am very greatfull for the xbmc skins allready available but i am sure there is scope for more finger friendly / lightweight / Joggler friendly skins :) .
Thanks for Tapatalk being enabled on XBMC4XBOX too .
Happy Joggling
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

that's a good point - giving a joggler to someone who doesn't have one but may be able to contribute is a good idea.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Can I be considered a dev?(albeit a windows one :P) If so I would love to have one!

Wait whats an Openpeak 2?
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

openpeak 2.0 is like the joggler, but with a folding stand and a dect chip for use with digital phone or so.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Ahhhh, I see, If I remeber correctly it has slighlty differing hardware, or am I mistaken?

PS: Great job on rescuing the xbmc4xbox site, was one of my casual haunts, so it can remain as one now lol
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

The OpenFrame (aka Joggler) in its original form had a DECT chip and phones too. That's what the unpopulated area on the current Joggler's main board is for. I'd love to find one of those with the phones (which had stands that matched the Joggler). I believe it was sold in Brazil for some time, but I've never had any luck in finding one.

Did anyone see the OpenFrame 7? Now that was swish. Think Joggler crossed with a tablet. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Yeah, I would love to get one with the phone too, would make an awesome office/pc desk phone lol

Openframe 7 was cool too, remember seeing it on Engadget.
more to come!!

hawsey

Post by hawsey »

How about Jezz_X the creator of the "touched " skin for XBMC as a candidate for a free Joggler ; he has managed to produce a skin which is 90% Joggler perfect without ever laying his hands on one ( as far as i know ) :D
Happy Joggling
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

Does having the DECT chip really offer anything to us mere mortals? I mean, considering that only a handful of us in the Joggler community will ever be lucky enough to see one and all... Just a thought.

I'd actually be more interested to see some real development paraphernalia i.e. what does OpenPeak use that LPC header for? I can think of a whole bunch of cards I'd like to build to plug into that, to make development easier, but I often wonder, has OpenPeak already done just that?
Last edited by inaxeon on Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I'd be happy to ask.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Devices arrived. mixed power supplies - some take 240v some dont. I'll try and be helpful with the ones I give away.

so..

here's a photo - my decision after
IMG_5225.JPG
the marks on the screen are because of the camera flash. just finger marks and are not visible and the units are in good condition. one of the openpeak2 units has screen corruption when powering on but works fine etc (as is a known issue with jogglers)..

for now, I'd like to offer two of the openpeak 2 machines - and should those I offer to want it:

Machine 1: I'd like to offer this to Roobarb! for his continued efforts with squeezeplay, and reflashing tools, and forum help.
Machine 2: I'd like to offer it to offbeatdave for his work with improving the built in OS, and lots of forum help.

Everyone else - and there are a lot of you who have contributed much, and the work is appreciated - and I guess I can't please everyone. I hope you all know how much I appreciated everyone who helps with working out stuff, but I especially chose the 2 above, due to their incredible patience helping non computer people use their devices more efficiently. I hope you will agree with me on the choice.

In regards to the machines above - and roobarb! and offbeatdave - postage might be a fiver - and i'd be pleased if you were able to cover it, or at least split it with me - if you want the machines.

The opeanpeak 2 machines - at least the one I powered on so far, boots up with a telio logo, and an openpeak os like the new firmware - but may have some apps that we dont have - although I rarely boot into original os, so, i could be wrong.

I may offer more machines in the future, and certainly if anyone has code they need to test on an openpeak2, a loan of one is also possible. thanks.

If you are wondering what I might do with 2 openpeak 2 and 2 extra jogglers - I had planned a joggler for my mother, with a setup so we can email photos and they appear for her - granny likes pics of grandchildren etc. The others - I have yet to decide. but certainly I want to use one openpeak 2.0 to test my distros etc.

Massive thanks to the kind person who sent me this stuff - and also split the postage with me - of which his half was significant - It would be nice to repay it fully actually. Thanks !
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Oh, I forgot to mention, I had the plan to give one joggler to Ubuntu UK Podcast radio show for a giveaway also.. should they want it. so thats more than half of the devices allocated now ;-)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Seconded :-) with you all the way on this on Buzz couldn't think of anyone more deserving than Roobarb and OffbeatDave as candidates .
I've been using Dropbox to send pictures to a Grannie netbook Buzz and it works well I set up a share called Grandmas Photos and now I can take a picture on my phone and send it straight to her dropbox ;we dried email but after opening the photos she couldn't work out what to do with them :!:
Happy Joggling
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Hehe. Sweet!
What's the big black bit at the bottom of the larger devices?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

the base part? thats the speaker on these. usb port is also round the back. ive not had time to do a full internal on em yet ;-) stand also folds up.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Edit: sorry. Post deleted as I was talking c**p.

Edit 2: BuZz, good decision btw!

Edit 3: Note to self: don't post on forum until you are fully awake :oops:
Last edited by ilovemyjoggler on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:42 am, edited 6 times in total.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Fully support your decision Buzz!

Is it just me or do the openpeak 2's look better than the joggler lol
more to come!!

roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

I've sent you a PM, BuZz, but of course I'm very happy with this arrangement! I'd like to publicly say thanks, both to yourself and the contact at OpenPeak, who has done an absolutely first rate job in rescuing these wonderful little devices from the skip. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)