TV on the joggler?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
ilovemyjoggler

Re: TV on the joggler?

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Am positively heartbroken.

XBMC has stopped working - totally and completely. It will let me into the menus but won't play anything in any of the video add ons. It dumps me out and back into the linux home screen. Have had a look at the xmbc forum but don't really understand much of what is said and as it's on so many different platforms I'm not sure which is appropriate for the joggler.

I have found 16 crashlogs in the joggler folder...with quite a bit of info (unfortunately I don't know understand it). The last crashlog says (amongst other things) 'program terminated with signall 11, segmentation fault' :?

Can't tell you how gutted I am - wondered if I should remove and reinstall it but am concerned I won't be able to find it again. I'd really appreciate some advice. Thanks
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Poor thing :'( personally what I would do would be to remake your usb stick and get your set up just right and so you are happy with everything and then make a back up of your stick with a suitable program ,I will edit my post when I remember what I use :-)
This way you do not loose all your good work getting everything as you want it , I have an old hdd that I keep all my images on so should the unspeakable happen you just have to re write your image and you don't have to start from square one ...,
Just remembered I use win 32 disk imager from https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/0.1/0.1
You are probably using it to write your images anyway ,you just do it the other way round and copy your usb stick :-)
Good luck
Happy Joggling
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

:cry: :cry:

I have no idea how to back up my pimped image so would be grateful for help with this - should I assume that a backup rewritten to a clean stick will give me the OS with all my lovely changes? This would be brilliant as I have had to redo my stick quite a few times already and I'm quite close to throwing in the towel.

I'll start from scratch and rewrite my usb but probably avoid using it until I have a backup! Have spent hours on getting this right and can't tell you how very very deflated I'm feeling.

I wonder if I should go back to linux 13 (which doesn't have squeezeplay and although BuZz said I could install with a script from roobarbs! site I'm a bit of a yellow belly). What do you think?
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Ooops - our messages must have crossed! and you've answered some of my q's. Thanks so much for that!

If I get stuck with the image thing, will you help me please?

As you were the one who introduced me to linux, do you have any advice on me trying linux 13?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Yes more than happy to help :-)
As far as linux is concerned I prefer Mint for XBMC but have also tried Xubuntu which is great as well and Joli os , all need the thermal trip point tweak to be useable with Xbmc IMHO tho :-) .
Writing the images to a small external hard drive is supposed to be more stable but I have not tried that yet and it involves a little swap trick with a usb stick as far as I can remember ...
I would love a XBMC os like squeezeos where you just put in your wireless settings and you are away but alas I lack the skills for such a project :-[
Get your image pretty much as you want it then back it up , keep fiddling and if you get it better back up again this way if breaks its not such a pain ...
Happy Joggling
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Thanks Hawsey! Last resort is to look into a small external harddrive as this is driving me bloody nuts although the backing up trick will save me repeated frustration if I can manage it. Hopefully it'll be straightforward! Am truly gutted though.

Yes - a nice smooth xbmc os with squeezeplay would be lovely. If you ever find/create anything count me in! :)
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Thanks hawsey. New image created, tweaked and backed up! I'm armed and ready for any failures. Bring it on!!!

I was suffering from major synch issues with video and audio but it seems ok with the new image.

@Gegs: I searched your posts for using an external hard drive - interesting reading. Have you found it more stable/faster than running from a usb or not much in it?

Cheers all!
gegs

Post by gegs »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:@Gegs: I searched your posts for using an external hard drive - interesting reading. Have you found it more stable/faster than running from a usb or not much in it?
It's faster to boot and to load programs than a USB stick but I wouldn't say it is without pitfalls. I've occasionally had a catastrophic crash requiring a re-install. Bear in mind that it is pushing the Joggler beyond what it was supposed to do, so an occasional crash comes with the territory I suppose - especially if you are an incurable tweaker.

Use the ext4 images because I think they are better for disc based systems and it's easy to resize partitions using Gparted. My linux ext4 partition is about 60GB with the rest of my drive formatted as FAT32 to save data (mainly photos and videos).
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Hello Gegs. Thanks for this. Certainly food for thought in due course, defo not now tho.
gegs wrote:... and it's easy to resize partitions using Gparted.
Hmmm, maybe not where I'm concerned! :)
gegs

Post by gegs »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:Hello Gegs. Thanks for this. Certainly food for thought in due course, defo not now tho.
gegs wrote:... and it's easy to resize partitions using Gparted.
Hmmm, maybe not where I'm concerned! :)
It's actually quite easy to use but you can do a lot of damage if you're not careful. There's a pretty in-depth tutorial at http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gpar ... TocId17965 but you mainly need to know how to boot from a Live CD or USB and (the MOST important bit) select the correct device to modify. The Identifying the right device bit of the tutorial will help with that. You select the correct device from the drop-down near the top right of the Gparted interface. Your portable hard drive should be obvious if you've written one of BuZz's distros to it because it will only have a 4gigs on it; the rest of the device will be greyed out because it hasn't been formatted.

You can now re-size the main linux partition by dragging the right arrow slider or selecting the partition and typing the size in the box underneath. I wouldn't touch the swap and boot partitions because I've tried this and the distro refused to boot because it couldn't find the start point of the OS. You can then choose to format the remainder of the disc using one of various filesystems; I chose FAT32.

If you are unhappy with the choices you've made, you can undo them and start again. When everything is as you'd like it, hit the green tick "Apply" button and wait until everything finishes. Do not interrupt the partitioning process or you might end up with a sleek black paperweight rather than a hard drive.

You can download Gparted from http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

P.S. You can also use Gparted to modify USB distro partitions. For example, you can resize a 4gig partition to fill an entire USB stick (if your stick is bigger than 4gig).
Last edited by gegs on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Hi gegs. Thank you. This will be invaluable should i go down that route. Or IF the time ever comes i could take the easier way and ask you to do it for me!! :lol:

@spoyser. Thank you for the update to tvcatchup (you, yes?). Icons seem to be present and correct :) Have you fiddled with the font size or is it my imagination?
spoyser

TV on the joggler?

Post by spoyser »

Yes it was me, guilty as charged! Not an interesting release tbh mainly under the hood bug fixes.

The font hasn't changed size (unless the skin itself has also changed) but the buttons are bigger.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Hi. Does anyone know why tvcatchup would have lost all my settings and reverted to default (including losing my username and password). It kept crashing a couple of nights ago so I left it alone until this evening. When I went in everything I had configured had disappeared - confused the hell out of me until I figured out what had happened. I kept having to pull the plug as the nav buttons were awol. I've now reset everything and it seems to be working fine but I'm curious as to why it happened. I can't see any sign of an update but I'm often wrong. Thanks