TV on the joggler?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
gegs

Re: TV on the joggler?

Post by gegs »

Are you closing down properly? The linux distros don't like the plug pulled from the back without a proper power down. You also might have better results running from a portable hard disk, if you have one of those spare. That's how I run my linux distros. There's stuff on the forum telling you how to do it; you can search my posts.

I'm going away for a couple of days, but if you want to install on a hard disk and can't find the info you need, I will help you when I return.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

You're gooood!

I couldn't sleep well last night as it's bothering me (especially now I have the set up I want). I've been racking my brain and it finally occurred to me this morning that that I HAVEN'T been quitting properly and wondered if that could be it. Idiot that I am I didn't register that powering down from mint would be different from the joggler's own OS! You've just confirmed my suspicions. I will power down properly and see it that solves it - if not, I'll try your other suggestion. Thank you so much. You've been so helpful you deserve a good break. Have a lovely time!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:You're gooood!

I couldn't sleep well last night as it's bothering me (especially now I have the set up I want). I've been racking my brain and it finally occurred to me this morning that that I HAVEN'T been quitting properly and wondered if that could be it. Idiot that I am I didn't register that powering down from mint would be different from the joggler's own OS! You've just confirmed my suspicions. I will power down properly and see it that solves it - if not, I'll try your other suggestion. Thank you so much. You've been so helpful you deserve a good break. Have a lovely time!

It must be catching :-) I have been fiddling with xbmc skins and decided I needed to plug in the keyboard in to my usb hub that has switches , flicked the switch and wham ,a frozen joggler which I then powered off and on and I now have a broken Mint image !! arghh
Lol , oh well back to the image building computer ......
Happy Joggling
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

hawsey wrote:It must be catching :-) I have been fiddling with xbmc skins and decided I needed to plug in the keyboard in to my usb hub that has switches , flicked the switch and wham ,a frozen joggler which I then powered off and on and I now have a broken Mint image !! arghh
Lol , oh well back to the image building computer ......
I sympathise! I hope Mint isn't too temperamental... it's nice and fast so I wouldn't be keen on switching.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

@Spoyser: Hi. I have been using the retouched skin (thanks!). I love it's simplicity but it's got one fairly major flaw - the very small font size. The guide on tvcatchup with this skin is really difficult to see and read. When I zoom, in skin settings, the screen no longer fits the joggler. I realise this is not your skin but have you had this problem and is there a way round it? I'm not really bothered by font size anywhere else as I can find my way round with icons but it matters for the epg. I'd be really grateful for your thoughts.

I will also be trying out the skin Hawsey has found. Be interesting to compare.
spoyser

TV on the joggler?

Post by spoyser »

@ilovemyjoggler

Is it unreadable at all guide widths?

Can you try at each guide width (change using the plus and minus on the toolbar or via the settings page) and confirm at what guide widths it is okay (if any!)
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

spoyser wrote:@ilovemyjoggler

Is it unreadable at all guide widths?

Can you try at each guide width (change using the plus and minus on the toolbar or via the settings page) and confirm at what guide widths it is okay (if any!)
Hi Spoyser. I used the onscreen + and - (didn't know what they were for before!) to reduce guide width to it's minimum (about 1hr?) and the font becomes just about readable, still very very small but not fuzzy anymore. I quickly changed to xeebo and also the joggler skin that Hawsey mentioned to see if I could compare. At the reduced guide width I would say that the retouched font is still a bit smaller than xeebo and joggler at their 2 hr guide width.... but can't be certain as I would need to run 2 jogglers side by side to be sure. I tried increasing the guide width (one press beyond the 2 hr width) to see what would happen - it's microscopic! Hope this helps. :)

Having fiddled with the retouched skin a little I can still say I really like it's simplicity as my needs for this joggler aren't much. I find it very intuitive and buttons are easy to hit with a finger but overall font size is so tiny that I'm not sure that I'll be able to contine to use it on a joggler's small screen :(

EDIT: Can I just say that being able to get tvcatchup on my joggler while stuck in the kitchen, especially during olympic fever, is absolutely fan-tas-tic!! I can't thank you enough! :D :D
pete

Post by pete »

Related but different this morning I tried the MythTV client/VLC and it works for live TV. This isn't web based and is a propietary windows client (also made in Linux flavors). I've been playing with and testing MythTV, XBMC and Squeezebox running on Ubuntu 11.04/64 bit. Works. I can stream Squeezebox on one Joggler and MythTV on another. I currently only have one dual tuner inside of the server and thinking about making it headless.

For many years I used a stand alone Tivo and a DirectTV tivo. That said kind of done with Tivo these days and decided that I could build a box that worked almost as well. Due to WAF also went to the Satellite DVR box which is a piece of junk along with the service.
Attachments
LiveTV.jpg
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

pete_c wrote:Related but different this morning I tried the MythTV client/VLC and it works for live TV. This isn't web based and is a propietary windows client (also made in Linux flavors). I've been playing with and testing MythTV, XBMC and Squeezebox running on Ubuntu 11.04/64 bit. Works. I can stream Squeezebox on one Joggler and MythTV on another. I currently only have one dual tuner inside of the server and thinking about making it headless.
Absolutely techno dummy here so don't understand most of this I'm afraid but am very interested in anything tv related on a joggler so can I please ask, what is MythTV?
pete

Post by pete »

MythTV is a Linux Tivo like DVR for TV. You can install TV tuner cards inside of the Myth TV box. The server (Ubuntu 11.04) can be a headless back end box with the tuners and your means to get to it can be whatever OS you want with the MythTV client or even VLC. I am testing right now with an HD dual analog tuner. I've also installed Squeezebox and XBMC on it. You can also run an XBMC MythTV plugin such that you could watch live or recorded TV shows.

Personally I don't really watch much live TV myself. I shut down my two Tivo Boxes a month or so ago and decided to build something similiar.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Thanks so much for the explanation. Sounds VERY interesting - am jealous! :D
pete

Post by pete »

Easy to build a back end server. Not sure what is available "over the air" in the UK. Here there are now some over 50 HD channels being broadcast over the air. With the MythTV box you can add a cable tuner (and cable card) and network broadcast your TV to other LCDs multiple channels etc with only one box versus a separate cable tuner for each TV.
- Pete

Auto mater
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

ilovemyjoggler wrote: Hi Spoyser. I used the onscreen + and - (didn't know what they were for before!) to reduce guide width to it's minimum (about 1hr?) and the font becomes just about readable, still very very small but not fuzzy anymore. I quickly changed to xeebo and also the joggler skin that Hawsey mentioned to see if I could compare. At the reduced guide width I would say that the retouched font is still a bit smaller than xeebo and joggler at their 2 hr guide width.... but can't be certain as I would need to run 2 jogglers side by side to be sure. I tried increasing the guide width (one press beyond the 2 hr width) to see what would happen - it's microscopic! Hope this helps. :)

Having fiddled with the retouched skin a little I can still say I really like it's simplicity as my needs for this joggler aren't much. I find it very intuitive and buttons are easy to hit with a finger but overall font size is so tiny that I'm not sure that I'll be able to contine to use it on a joggler's small screen :(

EDIT: Can I just say that being able to get tvcatchup on my joggler while stuck in the kitchen, especially during olympic fever, is absolutely fan-tas-tic!! I can't thank you enough! :D :D
Just for you I have added a new theme (selectable in the settings) called large-text :D

This should be available later today in version 2.1.13

Can you give this theme a try and let me know what you think, it basically has all the text set to the biggest font so hopefully it will work.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

@spoyser: I'm at work at the mo but am excited to try this later, you little star you!
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

spoyser wrote:Just for you I have added a new theme (selectable in the settings) called large-text :D

This should be available later today in version 2.1.13

Can you give this theme a try and let me know what you think, it basically has all the text set to the biggest font so hopefully it will work.
Shucks...I feel so special! After last nights olympics excitement I couldn't settle to this but have had a look this morning. For the retouched skin (which I know you know I really like) the increased large-text theme works fantastically well. No squinting or leaning over the kettle, breadbin and assorted knives on the block to bring my nose right up to the joggler to see what it says. Brilliant - stellar work my friend, stellar work! Tried the theme out it in a couple of other skins just out of curiosity, and in my uneducated opinion, it's probably not as well suited for those (it becomes a theme for the partially sighted) ;)

I did notice, however, that in this new theme the menu bar at the bottom has changed. With the other themes (skin irrelevant) the up, down across and + - buttons are all next to eachother and nice and big. There is also a large X where exit is. With the large text theme the buttons have shrunk, the + - have moved away from the other controls and the X isn't visible at all. You can still exit but have to 'find' the right spot to hit. Not sure if this is something you could/would change back but thought you might want to know. Shame there isn't an icon to post a big fat hug. As alway, a massive thanks :D
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

Does the menu not look like this?
xbmc.jpg
Just answered my own question, no it doesn't look like that!

It looks like the 'x' and 'home' images have been omitted from the download :cry:

If you look closely on ther screen you will see a faint box in the bottom right, this is where the exit button should be, and to the left of the 'left' button is where the home button should be.

I will make sure they get added for the next release.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

spoyser wrote:Does the menu not look like this?

Just answered my own question, no it doesn't look like that!

It looks like the 'x' and 'home' images have been omitted from the download :cry:

If you look closely on ther screen you will see a faint box in the bottom right, this is where the exit button should be, and to the left of the 'left' button is where the home button should be.

I will make sure they get added for the next release.
Thank you! :D

Edit: @Spoyser (not sure if you'll see this) I take back what I said about possibly not using the large text theme with other skins...I am trialing it with a different skin and extended guide time. Works very well indeed!
Last edited by ilovemyjoggler on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

I thought I would try my iplayer add on in xbmc for the first time just now but it doesn't seem to be working. When it tries to load the video content it gets stuck at 50% then crashes. I've had a look in configure but nothing's jumping out at me. Is anyone else experiencing this or know what the problem might be please?

Edit: Not to worry - uninstalled and reinstalled. Fixed it. Major buffering issues though!

Edit 2: Damn. Still freezing & crashing. Also suffering from foreign film dubbing syndrome...audio & visual aren't synchronised - funny but annoying (I get this on tvcatchup too but not quite so pronounced). Any ideas?
pete

Post by pete »

I was able to get MythTV to stream to the Joggler wirelessly XP OS version. That said it plays back HD/SD recordings fine. It has issues relating to HD live broadcast streams; but I am playing with the buffers. It does fine with broadcast SD streams. Along the same topic also playing with the MythTV XBMC plugin.

It might work better in Linux and a wired connection.
Attachments
JogglerMythTV Client-2b.jpg
JogglerMythTV Client-B.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Hi. Does anyone else have audio and visual not being synchronised on xbmc or is it just me? Is there a fix? Ta!