TV on the joggler?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
gegs

Re: TV on the joggler?

Post by gegs »

When I have trouble with the TVCatchup EPG I normally go to the addon settings and force an update of the programme data.

Any "freezes" I've had are usually because I've not used the addon for a while. I only load a couple of days data (it helps database update speeds) but if I haven't used it for longer than the period I've downloaded, the next time I use TVCatchup it might be empty. This is because it doesn't have any current data to read and hasn't updated the programme guide yet. It's not a problem with the addon, just the way I use it. This hasn't happened for a while because I use it so often.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Ohhhhhh, that's probably what happened as I only had a 1 day programme guide - makes perfect sense now you've explained it. And now, having gone back into configure I have scrolled to the end and found the 'update guide data now' button (doh, didn't notice that before). That must be what you mean. Yes?
gegs

Post by gegs »

Exactly!

Normally you don't need to update the guide data because TVCatchup does it automatically (unless you tell it not to in the settings). The empty EPG only happens if you open the addon before the data has updated.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

So getting it on the joggler is the easy part. Learning how to use it properly - now that's gonna be the challenge especially with the iddy biddy touch buttons. Gegs ....mwah! What a star you are!
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

Yes I've been meaning to fix that little "feature" for a while now, it's caught me out a few times (I usually think it is 'cos I've bust something!) LOL

The latest version has a ton of new functionality, most of which is described here:

http://forums.tvcatchup.com/showthread. ... #post77949

I normally have it set to download 7 days of data and refresh every 2 days (although tbh even 14 days is fine with the current version),

In actual fact it always downloads all 14 days worth of data (as it is all on one page per channel), it just then processes the specified number of days worth.

I'm particulary pleased with the email notification functionlity in the new version, I use it to send me a SMS 15 minutes before a program starts using the Email to SMS recipe at ifttt.com (in fact I would have missed Line of Duty on Tuesday otherwise!)
gegs

Post by gegs »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:So getting it on the joggler is the easy part. Learning how to use it properly - now that's gonna be the challenge especially with the iddy biddy touch buttons. Gegs ....mwah! What a star you are!
If you're running Mint, I'd suggest using it with a bluetooth mouse; that's how I use mine for ease of navigation. Just plug the bluetooth receiver into a USB hub along with your USB stick. Others use bluetooth keyboard/touch pad combo devices.

Any of BuZz's distros (even JoliOS) can be a pain to use exclusively by touch alone. The Joli interface is brilliant for touch but, unfortunately, some of the web apps on it can't be used easily without a mouse.
gegs

Post by gegs »

spoyser wrote:The latest version has a ton of new functionality, most of which is described here:

http://forums.tvcatchup.com/showthread. ... #post77949
TVCatchup is undoubtedly, and by a pretty huge margin, the most fully-featured, user-friendly and awesome looking addon for XBMC.

Being able to keep a playing channel in view whilst reading the EPG is brilliant - and may be taken for granted by users of other EPGs. My first digibox had that functionality but now, sadly, neither my TV nor my new HD digibox do. If I want to bring up the EPG on both these devices, the picture is lost. Panasonic and Philips, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Well done to spoyser and all who help develop and maintain this addon. Other IPTV providers should learn a few lessons from you guys.
Last edited by gegs on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

spoyser wrote:Yes I've been meaning to fix that little "feature" for a while now, it's caught me out a few times (I usually think it is 'cos I've bust something!) LOL
LOL for you maybe as you know what you're doing! I, on the other, hand freaked :D

Am very excited about this addition to my joggler - I did notice the notifications bit, something for me to explore. Thanks so much for all your help and the bedtime reading.

AND I second what Gegs just said. Brilliant!
gegs wrote:If you're running Mint, I'd suggest using it with a bluetooth mouse; that's how I use mine for ease of navigation. Just plug the bluetooth receiver into a USB hub along with your USB stick. Others use bluetooth keyboard/touch pad combo devices.

Any of BuZz's distros (even JoliOS) can be a pain to use exclusively by touch alone. The Joli interface is brilliant for touch but, unfortunately, some of the web apps on it can't be used easily without a mouse.
I had originally thought I would be able to get away with just touch but clearly not. Will definitely sort something out to make it a more enjoyable experience (means even more clutter in the kitchen) :D
gegs

Post by gegs »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:Will definitely sort something out to make it a more enjoyable experience (means even more clutter in the kitchen) :D
If you already have a USB hub, it's not that much clutter. I put the mouse behind the Joggler when I'm not using it; you wouldn't even know it was there.

I suppose it's a different matter if you already have other gubbins stuffed behind your Joggler.
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

gegs wrote:Being able to keep a playing channel in view whilst reading the EPG is brilliant - and may be taken for granted by users of other EPGs. My first digibox had that functionality but now, sadly, neither my TV nor my new HD digibox do. If I want to bring up the EPG on both these devices, the picture is lost. Panasonic and Philips, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Well done to spoyser and all who help develop and maintain this addon. Other IPTV providers should learn a few lessons from you guys.
What is also rather cool is that if you are watching a video in XBMC from any source, eg your library or another addon, and you start up the EPG the video carries on playing in the small window in the corner.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Have found a tiny usb keyboard and mouse lurking in the house and these have made a huge difference to the ease, speed and accuracy of setting up. Was fun actually.

Have looked at having xbmc on startup but have decided against it for now - I'll see how it goes. It's on my desktop, I've downloaded a few add ons and set them as favourites to cut down on presses. What I'd really like is for tvcatchup and iplayer to have their own icons on the desktop as I'm sure that's all I'll be using. ;)
gegs

Post by gegs »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:...What I'd really like is for tvcatchup and iplayer to have their own icons on the desktop as I'm sure that's all I'll be using. ;)
You can add up to five items to appear on the XBMC home screen under each menu item (using the Confluence skin). For example, when I have the "Videos" item highlighted I have buttons underneath that link to iPlayer, iTVPlayer, 4oD, Demand 5 and TVCatchup. I know the XBMC home screen isn't the desktop but it's one less click away for your favourite addons. This picture from the XBMC site shows what the buttons look like:

You can't add XBMC addons as shortcuts to the desktop. You could add the website URLs as shortcuts but you'd lose all of the XBMC TVCatchup goodness because the links would open in your default browser.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

gegs wrote:You can add up to five items to appear on the XBMC home screen under each menu item (using the Confluence skin). For example, when I have the "Videos" item highlighted I have buttons underneath that link to iPlayer, iTVPlayer, 4oD, Demand 5 and TVCatchup. I know the XBMC home screen isn't the desktop but it's one less click away for your favourite addons.
Hmmm, good Point - I'm all for less clicks. Last time I had that skin I couldn't find my way around (go back a bit and read my previous freaked out post :o ) I'll experiment tonight. Thanks!
gegs wrote:You can't add XBMC addons as shortcuts to the desktop.
I know, but in an ideal world.... Actually in an ideal world there would be a magical way to get xbmc on PnPIII. Great shame that.
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

You can also do this with the re-touched skin:
xbmc.jpg
Although I would recommend the latest version of the skin as it has a fix for some missing scrollbars which are useful on the Joggler, and a fix for the add-on shortcut tab appearing when you have no items in your library.

http://code.google.com/p/jezzxbmc/downl ... -1.5.0.zip

From the xbmc home screen click the "settings" button, followed by "skin settings", then the "add-ons " button, then "Add-on Shortcut", then scroll
to the add-on(s) you want to appear (simple when you know how :D )
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

spoyser wrote:You can also do this with the re-touched skin:
xbmc.jpg
Although I would recommend the latest version of the skin as it has a fix for some missing scrollbars which are useful on the Joggler, and a fix for the add-on shortcut tab appearing when you have no items in your library.

http://code.google.com/p/jezzxbmc/downl ... -1.5.0.zip

From the xbmc home screen click the "settings" button, followed by "skin settings", then the "add-ons " button, then "Add-on Shortcut", then scroll
to the add-on(s) you want to appear (simple when you know how :D )
@Spoyser: It's always easy when you know how - unfortunately it's bloomin' hard when you don't!! :lol: I do like the look of this skin. Ta for telling us how to add shortcuts!
Last edited by ilovemyjoggler on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Nice find :-) didn't know this was possible in xbmc will be tryin soon.
Happy Joggling
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

@Spoyser: I did it!...YAY... Too tired to experiment with it now but it looks very pretty. Thank you. (look forward to more of your gems!)

@Gegs: I've also added the fusion thing you mentioned (but to be honest there's nothing on there I want...does it serve another purpose?) and itv player. Double YAY!

I added fusion first then tried adding the skin and itv player the same way (as source in file manager). It didn't work so I downloaded them from chrome and then found them in the home folder in xbmc. No idea if this was correct but it worked. Thanks again!
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

@Spoyser, i really like the new skin. Buttons seem to be easier to hit with finger. Thanks!
gegs

Post by gegs »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:@Gegs: I've also added the fusion thing you mentioned (but to be honest there's nothing on there I want...does it serve another purpose?) and itv player. Double YAY!
The XBMC Hub site should tell you what all the addons/repos are that are available from the fusion installer. Whether it serves a purpose or not is down to you - and if you want any of the stuff they are hosting.
ilovemyjoggler wrote:I added fusion first then tried adding the skin and itv player the same way (as source in file manager). It didn't work so I downloaded them from chrome and then found them in the home folder in xbmc. No idea if this was correct but it worked. Thanks again!
Fusion has one or two repos and addons that are not in the official repos (iTVPlayer, Demand 5 and 4oD were three of those but I don't know if they're now available officially) but isn't essential. It's really just a web directory that you can install stuff from; the XBMChub website should let you know what the addons do.

You install from the fusion installer by choosing the 'install from zip' option, then navigating to the zip file on fusion (just as if it was a local folder) then selecting the zip file for install.

The advantage of the fusion installer isn't so great on the Joggler than on my Apple TV2. Without fusion on the ATV2, I have to use WinSCP to copy zip files to the ATV2 for installation. With fusion it's as if the zip files are stored in a local folder and I just browse to them for installation.

The bottom line is:
Fusion - essential for XBMC on ATV2, not so much for XBMC on the Joggler.

P.S. there's also a Sinful iPhone source for repos and addons (mostly duplicated elsewhere) at http://www.sinfuliphone.com/showthread.php?t=113106
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

gegs wrote:You install from the fusion installer by choosing the 'install from zip' option, then navigating to the zip file on fusion (just as if it was a local folder) then selecting the zip file for install.
My bad. Didn't see that option and was doing it wrong as was distracted by the opening ceremony. :D

However I don't have fusion anymore. Whole system failed AGAIN and i couldn't boot from the usb. As i have no idea how to recover it i'm having to start from scratch rewriting the image. Happened with 2 versions of mint on 2 different usbs. Putting everything back on is time consuming so i'm only adding essentials - as all my hard work seems to be for nothing! It's upsetting. :(