TV on the joggler?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: TV on the joggler?

Post by BuZz »

It is a bit late, as I have built all the images now - however, I only included the retouched skin which seems to be ok, and I am able to scroll. I'll get this in for the next release :)
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

No worries, I've just realized there is no volume control in the Touched skin either so TBH I wouldn't bother with it.

I get the impression the Touched skin was really designed only for iPhones and iPads rather than touch screens in general.

Shame really 'cos I think it suits the Joggler more that the Re-Touched skin but hey oh!
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

BuZz wrote:I have switch to the re-touched skin for xbmc and have updated my images with any new distribution package updates. ill get them building tonight and should be ready for download later/tomorrow.
Hello BuZz. Wondered if joli and mint have this update as was thinking of trying again with new usbs. Cheers!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

i saw volume on the main scree on touched though - but ill check when playing im going to rebuild my images again anyway since someone wanted a kernel module - and i didnt manage to release the new images, as my internet has been off for 2 days. thanks virgin media.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Probably a good thing that it's not ready as I'm working most of this weekend and this will force me to leave it be until I have some proper time on my hands!
BuZz wrote:- and i didnt manage to release the new images, as my internet has been off for 2 days. thanks virgin media.
Oooh, not good. But then, when yours is working you do have truly unbelievable super duper speed. Would it be wrong of me if I didn't feel too bad for you! (sour grapes...) ;)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I don't have 100mbit upstream, which is what I want ;-)

but I will admit its ok when it works.

I would swap that for 20mbit both ways anyday.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

BuZz wrote:I don't have 100mbit upstream, which is what I want ;-)

but I will admit its ok when it works.

I would swap that for 20mbit both ways anyday.
Jesus christ! Is that for real!!! I feel a bit ill...fancy a tenant?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Sure - might have to check with missus.. or you can sneak in when she's out for some..

broadband i mean..
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

:lol:
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:It is still incredibly slow to load (I probably expect way to much speed) don't know if this can cause crashing. However, every app is very slow to load so I don't think this is specifically a tvcatchup issue. I will be trying a different usb and also mint (once I get my act together and get ahold of another stick!).
Are you using a powered USB hub as a non-powered one will be painfully slow.

With a powered hub my whizzes along (ish!)
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

spoyser wrote:
ilovemyjoggler wrote:It is still incredibly slow to load (I probably expect way to much speed) don't know if this can cause crashing. However, every app is very slow to load so I don't think this is specifically a tvcatchup issue. I will be trying a different usb and also mint (once I get my act together and get ahold of another stick!).

Erm, i'm just sticking a usb in the usb slot. Painfully slow is an understatement. Can make a drink in the time it takes to load anything. Please do tell, what is a powered usb hub? Remember, novice here! Ta!
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:
spoyser wrote:

Erm, i'm just sticking a usb in the usb slot. Painfully slow is an understatement. Can make a drink in the time it takes to load anything. Please do tell, what is a powered usb hub? Remember, novice here! Ta!
A powered hub is a USB hun that you provide power to via a transformer and gives much better performance when you have multiple devices connected (I have a wireless keyboard/mouse and the USB stick connected and without the power that is painfully a slow).

But given that you have the stick plug directly into the Joggler it shouldn't make any difference. I'd try a new stick 'cos it really shoudln't be that sloooooooooooooooooow!

TBH given the specs of the Joggler I think it is quite quick!
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

spoyser wrote:
ilovemyjoggler wrote:
spoyser wrote: Are you using a powered USB hub as a non-powered one will be painfully slow.

A powered hub is a USB hun that you provide power to via a transformer and gives much better performance when you have multiple devices connected (I have a wireless keyboard/mouse and the USB stick connected and without the power that is painfully a slow).

But given that you have the stick plug directly into the Joggler it shouldn't make any difference. I'd try a new stick 'cos it really shoudln't be that sloooooooooooooooooow!

TBH given the specs of the Joggler I think it is quite quick!
Hmmm. Interesting. It really is that slow!!! So much so that I have given up trying to use my joggler with joli - therefore, sadly, STILL no telly in my kitchen (otherwise the frustration would have made me throw the damned thing out the window). I have a couple of new sticks to try but I will wait for the new images with the new xbmc skin (will by trying mint too to compare). If the new sticks don't speed things up I will investigate this powered hub you speak of as I'm desperate to get this working properly. Am very grateful for continued advice! :)
spoyser

TV on the joggler?

Post by spoyser »

If you are plugging the stick directly into the Joggler I don't think a powered hub will help (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), therefore I would try a new USB stick as it definitely sounds slower than it should be.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

spoyser wrote:If you are plugging the stick directly into the Joggler I don't think a powered hub will help (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), therefore I would try a new USB stick as it definitely sounds slower than it should be.
Will do. In a bit of panic now though!
spoyser

TV on the joggler?

Post by spoyser »

Just to let you know latest version of TVCatchup EPG is now available, complete with 24 Olympic channels!

As mentioned this now has a Force Touch Screen setting which along with the Show Mouse Controls should be enabled on the Joggler.

Biggest difference in this mode is that one click of a program updates the description, 2nd click of the same program brings up menu.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

I have spent most of today downloading, writing, reformatting, updating (linux mint had over 100 updates which took about 2 hours!) and fiddlling with thermal trip points. Am knackered...REALLY don't know how you people do it. I bought 2 new identical sticks, wrote mint on one and rewrote Joli on the other (BuZz, thanks again for providing these). Clearly my previous usb with Joli was pants.

Both os('s?) now work fairly quickly but I have to agree with Hawsey that, for me, mint does seem faster and smoother overall so that's the one I'm sticking with (Hawsey, thanks for the tip to swap to mint - I may need to ask you about xbmc auto launch if I can't figure it out eventually!) Only snag is that mint won't install squeezeplay but that's on a different thread.

Spoyser, tvcatchup with epg now works like a dream and I thank you very much for that.

So, finally, I have tv in my kitchen. Yay! :D Thanks all, for your patience and advice.

One last thing. I have quite a few tv shows on my main pc which does not have wifi. Is there anyway (preferably a simple way) I can get these onto xmbc on my joggler? I know, I know, some people are just never satisfied :roll:
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

ilovemyjoggler wrote: Both os('s?) now work fairly quickly but I have to agree with Hawsey that, for me, mint does seem faster and smoother overall so that's the one I'm sticking with (Hawsey, thanks for the tip to swap to mint - I may need to ask you about xbmc auto launch if I can't figure it out eventually!)
Glad to be of help :D if you follow this guide http://www.howtogeek.com/103640/how-to- ... x-mint-12/ for auto launch of progs for mint you should get there ( thats how i did it )
Now i'm going to really upset you :lol: have you seen this thread for VDR ?
i haven't done this yet but it looks like the ultimate for TV on the Joggler ...
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=351

I have also found this you tube video ( a bit grainy ) of what looks like a Joggler running VDR but might be just the Joggler skin on another device , i'm not sure but food for thought regardless .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCek8LDOMO0

As far as your TV shows on another PC you have options ,
you could buy a wireless dongle for that pc and network it;
or connect with power line adapters or a long ethernet cable via an ethernet hub or
buy a small external hdd , copy them over to that and plug that in to the Joggler with a usb hub and your Mint usb stick.

Cheers
Happy Joggling
gegs

Post by gegs »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:One last thing. I have quite a few tv shows on my main pc which does not have wifi. Is there anyway (preferably a simple way) I can get these onto xmbc on my joggler? I know, I know, some people are just never satisfied :roll:
Your main PC should have wireless capability if it is plugged into your router with a network cable (which I assume it is, or you wouldn't have internet on that PC). Install samba on Mint on the joggler then go to your main PC and choose the folders with your TV shows, then right-click > Properties > Sharing. Click the box to share the folder(s) with the network and go back to Mint on the Joggler; now set up the PC folders as samba (SMB) shares and you should be able access to the contents.

This link should help you set up samba: http://www.noobslab.com/2012/03/configu ... buntu.html

In XBMC you can add the shares as a file source and play the content.

P.S. This does mean you need to have the PC switched on and logged in to access the shares remotely from the Joggler (or any other device that supports SMB shares, like the Xbox 360). The method may be different to set up shared folders on other OSes or versions of Windows (I run XP Pro ... yeah, I know ... dinosaur) but the concept is the same. I don't know if you can access Apple AFP shares with the Joggler but some other kind person might be able to help others with that.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Hawsey and Gegs, once again thank you my lovlies! I'll be investigating. No doubt I'll be needing help further along the line so, if you can bear it, please keep your eye on this thread! ;)

Meanwhile, my tvcatchup with epg is frozen and won't load the epg or picture. I can scroll the channel list and time bar (which shows current time) but the epg is empty and so no tv. The bit at the bottom still shows 12.30-1.00am. I've tried rebooting and reinstalling the add on but it didn't help. It's the new version with the wonderful gazillion olympic channels (can't wait!). Any ideas what I can do to get it working again please? Spoyser/anyone?

Edit: Hold that. Just gone back to it and epg is there. Need to check.

Edit 2: Oddly and thankfully it's back. whew.