TV on the joggler?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
spoyser

Re: TV on the joggler?

Post by spoyser »

It is definately worth a try, I haven't got my iPad in front of me but I can't think of anything that needs gestures, in fact gestures don't appear to work in Confluence any more either in the iPad (they did work before Eden).

Mind you the skin does need a right click for context menu stuff, would a long press work for that?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

should do.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Should I be getting excited?

Buzz, IF this works, will it be with joli or all your os's?
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

Buzz, just found this too:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?ti ... pid1072360

Do you think you would get chance to try it (or the original)?

If they work it would be sweet if you could add it (them) to your distro.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

not sure if I will have time anytime soon, as I have been very busy with work, and other hobby projects (http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk). feel free to give it a go and let me know though :)

if either of them work better than xeebo ill be happy to make em distro defaults.
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

Good news, I've tried both skins and they work a treat (IMO Touched seems more responsive but they are both very nice to use on the Joggler) so if they can be added to the main distros that would be great.

https://github.com/xbmc/skin.touched/
http://code.google.com/p/jezzxbmc/downl ... -1.0.0.zip

Regarding the TVCatchup EPG version, that also works although because the Joggler isn't automatically detected as a touch screen device the context menu appears rather alot! This will be fixed in the next version where there will be a setting to indicate that you are running on a touch screen device (will also probably come in useful for the multitude of Android devices XBMC will soon be finding itself installed on!) I'll post on here as soon as it is released, although it won't be for at least a week due to holidays.

In the meantime remember to make sure sure Show mouse control menu is set to on in the EPG settings, otherwise you will not be able to exit, and you will not be able to get past BBC 3, or move forward (and back) in time
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Good news about the xbmc skins, that's one of the things I do miss on the joggler hopefully they can be added :-)
I allways liked xtvSaf on the Xbox due to its small footprint and look but the lack of touch screen support meant I couldn't get it too work when I tried it.
There was a great skin years ago called 7"TFT designed for car pcs or something like that which looked promising and would have been a great Joggler skin but it was well before Eden and I think it is a long forgotten project unfortunately.
Happy Joggling
gegs

Post by gegs »

spoyser wrote:@gegs
How are you getting on with the addon on the ATV, the latest version (2.16) has the OSD working when viewing a channel (just hit one of the directions to bring it up).
Have you played around with the themes?
I've now had a play around with the OSD and it works well. I love the themes too and have changed from the 'default' to the 'blue-alt' one. TVCatchup is a thing of beauty on the ATV2 and is now one of my top 3 XBMC addons after iPlayer and 4oD. The other two only pip TVCatchup because most TV I watch is on-demand; I'm too disorganised to keep tabs on when most shows are actually broadcast.
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

gegs wrote:I've now had a play around with the OSD and it works well. I love the themes too and have changed from the 'default' to the 'blue-alt' one. TVCatchup is a thing of beauty on the ATV2 and is now one of my top 3 XBMC addons after iPlayer and 4oD.
Glad you like it!
gegs wrote:I'm too disorganised to keep tabs on when most shows are actually broadcast.
Amongst other things the next release will be able to email you a reminder that a program is about to start (up to 30 minutes before), this can then be used to send you an SMS via an email to SMS gateway, or as a trigger on www.ifttt.com (which is what I currently use)
gegs

Post by gegs »

I'm absolutely amazed at how good TVCatchup is on XBMC. It's an indication of how good it would be if other official TV providers would get behind the platform and produce, or pay people like BuZz and spoyser to produce, official addons with full functionality that are updated automatically when streaming parameters change. I'm looking forward to trying the text alert functionality on the next version of TVCatchup.

Perhaps the TV and video companies are concerned about some of the unofficial addons that allow access to copyrighted material. They needn't worry; the better that addons like 4oD, Demand 5, iPlayer, ITV Player and TVCatchup become, the less I feel tempted to use others. They already form the bulk of my viewing. Now if only there were Netflix, Lovefilm and Spotify addons for the Apple TV2 version of XBMC ,,, but then I'd probably never leave the house.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

@spoyser: Finally had a chance to have another play with tvcatchup with epg and your instructions really helped. It seems to have held the settings after I quit it which is great and more importantly I can navigate within it. yay. Thanks so much for your advice. Must admit it took me a while to follow the instructions as I had lost the xeebo skin (which is back again).

However, it still isn't going smoothly for me. It doesn't seem to like changing channels and tonight it crashed twice. I am attaching the error message - not sure if it means anything....I'm not savvy enough to get this to you any other way. The only way out was to switch off.

It is still incredibly slow to load (I probably expect way to much speed) don't know if this can cause crashing. However, every app is very slow to load so I don't think this is specifically a tvcatchup issue. I will be trying a different usb and also mint (once I get my act together and get ahold of another stick!).
Attachments
joli2.JPG
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

ilovemyjoggler wrote: However, it still isn't going smoothly for me. It doesn't seem to like changing channels and tonight it crashed twice. I am attaching the error message - not sure if it means anything....I'm not savvy enough to get this to you any other way. The only way out was to switch off.
if it crashes like this - it usually means the graphics driver crashed and brought down the desktop with it. those messages are the boot up messages so not at all related. are you running with the thermal config change etc ?
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Yup - I think so. Went in and edited via windows using notepad adding just that bit about thermal (using the visual that very kindly posted for me in the Joli thread).

I didn't type sudo nano -w /boot/grub.cfg anywhere though...

Can I also ask again if it's normal for the usb to get really hot while it's in the joggler?
Last edited by ilovemyjoggler on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

spoyser wrote:Good news, I've tried both skins and they work a treat (IMO Touched seems more responsive but they are both very nice to use on the Joggler) so if they can be added to the main distros that would be great.

I tried the touched skin. I like it, but I couldn't see how to scroll a list of files. Without gesture support this may not work - unless I'm missing something ?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

re-touched seems to scroll nicely though with the scrollbar it has.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I have switch to the re-touched skin for xbmc and have updated my images with any new distribution package updates. ill get them building tonight and should be ready for download later/tomorrow.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

BuZz wrote:I have switch to the re-touched skin for xbmc and have updated my images with any new distribution package updates. ill get them building tonight and should be ready for download later/tomorrow.
Download within the OS?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

no - new images. you can install the re-touched skin easily enough from the os though.

go to http://code.google.com/p/jezzxbmc/downl ... -1.0.0.zip

and download the zip file. i think it will save to Downloads by default in your home folder.

load up xbmc, and go to settings/addons -> install from zip file and select the file you downloaded.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Glad I asked as I was in the process of downloading Mint! Will wait for your update methinks but very good to know how to do it within the OS. Thanks so much for all your work and help!
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

BuZz wrote:
spoyser wrote:Good news, I've tried both skins and they work a treat (IMO Touched seems more responsive but they are both very nice to use on the Joggler) so if they can be added to the main distros that would be great.

I tried the touched skin. I like it, but I couldn't see how to scroll a list of files. Without gesture support this may not work - unless I'm missing something ?
Oh yeah!

I've hacked the Touched skin so that the scroll bar is always visible , and I've moved it left 10 pixels as on my screen I could quite get to it where it was!

I will pm you the 1 new file and hopefully it isn't too late to include, but if anyone is interested the 2 changes are both in includes.xml in the 4x3Hirez folder.

Line 267 change to:

Code: Select all

<posx>35r</posx>
Line 282 change to:

Code: Select all

<visible>True</visible>
Last edited by spoyser on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.