TV on the joggler?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
gegs

Re: TV on the joggler?

Post by gegs »

spoyser wrote:How are you getting on with the addon on the ATV, the latest version (2.16) has the OSD working when viewing a channel (just hit one of the directions to bring it up).
Have you played around with the themes?
I haven't tried the OSD or themes yet - probably because its out-of-the-box functionality is so good. Find what I want and play is how I've used it so far and it has been excellent. It is the only method I have for +1 functionality on many channels; e.g. I can watch Film 4+1 using TVCatchup on ATV2 but not on my Freeview HD box (since they removed that particular channel a couple of years ago).
Last edited by gegs on Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

spoyser wrote:As one of the developers of the TVCatchup EPG addon I'd be interested to know how people are getting on with it on the Joggler (I really should set up one of my Jogglers so I can test it but there just aren't enough hours in the day!)

The EPG does actually have a touch screen mode, unfortunately it only kicks in when on an iPad or iPhone (as we can detect that automatically), what I'll do for the next release is add a setting so you can force touch screen mode.

Also, if you go into the settings and enable "Show Mouse Control Menu" that should help navigate around the guide.

In earlier releases we used to cache all the programs to memory at start up hence reducing the number of days downloaded had a significant effect, however, in the most recent release the database is queried differently so you shouldn't need to reduce the number of days to download (although less data will give a smaller database which may have a small effect I suppose).
Hello Spoyser. Thanks for these tips. Feedback from me is that sadly the version with epg was almost totally unusable so I had to disable it. Every time I powered up it was loading data for 14 days which took forever and caused crashing. I tried changing this setting to 1 day but it wouldn't save this so I was having to go through the full load every time. Of course, there is every possibility that I don't know what I'm doing and am not using it properly!

I was testing the version without epg last night which seemed to work much better. Shame though as I much prefer the look of the version with epg (that's what I use on my iphone).

Many many thanks though :)

@gegs: thanks for your help. Will try to get my head round it tomorrow - hope I can then leave you alone!
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

@ilovemyjoggler

When it crashes does it give you the option to submit an error report?

If so can you make sure you submit the report and then pm me your IP address and I'll have a look what is going on.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

@spoyser
Hello. It doesn't crash all the time but when it does I get a frozen black screen for ages so I just power down. No error messages pop up - also wouldn't know where to look for them as I am very new to Joli (and not getting on with it). Taking ages to load tvcatchup with epg in the first place is much more frustrating. But as I said it could be a matter of me not knowing what I'm doing.

For all I know, the problem could be xbmc itself however I was watching the wimbledon final on the joggler today using tvcatchup without epg and I never had a problem and it was fairly speedy to load. I wish I could be more help.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Oh good grief. Having only JUST figured out how to use xbmc it's only gone and updated (I think??? - what else could it be??). I now have cinema seats as my background instead of a black screen and the tabs have moved around so I am back to square one in finding my way around! :roll: Tvcatchup (without epg) seems to have changed too and wouldn't let me in. Kept saying 'script error' but finally loaded and is showing a very stuttery dr who.... I know, I know - you want me to go to the xmbc forum! Did this happen to anyone else?

@gegs: thank you so much for tips in getting the other add-ons but I have decided not to bother. I'm struggling too much with what's already there and will be a happy bunny with the iplayer and tvcatchup - should I ever find an quick and smooth way of getting them running. Cheers!
spoyser

TV on the joggler?

Post by spoyser »

Right I have sussed out how to get the EPG version working.

The problem seems to be in the saving of the settings not working when it was the EPG that originally triggered the settings page. I've no idea why this is, it works on every other hardware we have tested, maybe it can't write to the USB for some reason?

Anyhow, to avoid this problem you need to configure the addon first before starting it. To do this select the settings button in the lower left of the main page, then select Add-ons (download and manage addons), then select Enabled Addons, then select Video Add-ons, then select Tvcatchup 2.0 with EPG, finally hit Configure.

This will take you to the settings page, on here you can configure the addin to how you want it, the most important thing to remember here is to tick the Show mouse control menu.

I'd also recommend the blue-alt theme that's my fave!

Don't forget to set your username and password.

When your happy select ok, then on the add-on information page select close, you should then be able to get back to the main page via the menu tab.

Now start the EPG, it will probably fetch all the data which may take a few minutes.

Once the guide opens you will see a toolbar appear at the bottom as you move your finger around the screen, this can by used to shift up/down and left/right.

On the toolbar you will also see what looks like 2 dots on the very right of it (to the right of the scroll wheel tip), hit these dots to exit (they appear as an x on other hardware so I guess there is some weird font issue going on)

The N on the toolbar takes you back to Now

Let me know how you get on.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I use Linux Mint for running XBMC with the thermal trip point tweak applied.
I find it much more responsive that Joil on my Joggler .
Happy Joggling
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

hawsey wrote:I use Linux Mint for running XBMC with the thermal trip point tweak applied.
I find it much more responsive that Joil on my Joggler .
Can I ask, in what way is it more responsive? I am not enjoying joli much - seems very slow to get anything going but maybe that has something to do with my usb? Whatever os I use will only be for the tv element and squeezeplay. (Now there is no texting, I Surf, check calendar and weather etc using other gadgets).
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

It might be your USB but mine was dead slow with Joli and now zipps along on mint :just seems quicker alltogether, mint isn't pretty like Joli but if you are using mainly for xbmc which I do it makes no odds, you can also put the xbmc icon on the home screen which I don't think you can do with Joli.
Give it a shot and report back ;-)
Happy Joggling
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Blimey-here we go again....I've never used so many usb sticks!

I do like the sound of xbmc being on the home screen, one less level to get through but before I go through the trauma to give mint a go does it work well with touchscreen as I don't have/won't have a keyboard attached to this joggler?

Is the thermal trip changed in exactly the same way as in joli?

Does anyone know if the solution to tvcatchup with epg which spoyser very kindly gave yesterday (which I haven't yet had the chance to try) apply to any os?

Sorry - a few questions there!
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

@ilovemyjoggler

The solution I described, ie configuring the settings before starting the EPG will work on any OS.

However, the actual steps I provided yesterday were for the skin that comes with Buzz's Jolios distribution, the steps may be different depending upon which skin is being used by XBMC.

Saying that I would have thought all Buzz'z distros use the same skin for XBMC (I'm sure somehow else can confirm this)
gegs

Post by gegs »

I'm sure BuZz's default skin for XBMC is Xeebo because it's more finger-friendly. The default skin for XBMC itself is Confluence and it is the one that new navigation and user interaction is developed in. Other skins usually emulate Confluence's functionality but with different design features. Confluence is the skin with the cinema seats background that surprised ilovemyjoggler a few posts back.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

gegs wrote:I'm sure BuZz's default skin for XBMC is Xeebo because it's more finger-friendly. The default skin for XBMC itself is Confluence and it is the one that new navigation and user interaction is developed in. Other skins usually emulate Confluence's functionality but with different design features. Confluence is the skin with the cinema seats background that surprised ilovemyjoggler a few posts back.
Ohhhhh, mystery solved perhaps. My xbmc kept telling me that the xeebo was broken and did I want to disable it. Maybe that's why I then got the cinema seats as my skin. Of course I had absolutely no idea at all what xeebo was ,and still wouldn't if not for gegs! :) who is, unfortunately for him, one of my go to guys! Ta very much. Again!

@spoyser - thanks so much for taking the time to help. I really appreciate it and will report back if it helps.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I have just managed to work out how to get Xbmc to auto start in Mint when the joggler powers up so if you want you don't even have to select it from the home screen as it is there on startup :-)
At the mo I am watching T in the park off the xbmc iplayer plugin on the Joggler with no buffering etc I have also got the behringer uca 202 usb sound card plugged in which Mint picked up right away and its all looking good .
Xeebo says it is broken on mine too :-( but if you don't tick the box to disable it ,it still works , has anyone found a better xbmc skin for our jogglers ? There was a confluence touch skin and also another one written for the joggler if I remember correctly .
Happy Joggling
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

I use the Touched skin on my iPad which is very good.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:Touched

Would this work on the Joggler?

I have no idea how to get this onto the Joggler though (it installs by default on the iPad), so if any knows can they explain, that would be most appreciated.

If it does work maybe Buzz could add it to the appropriate ditros.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

It says to install the skin from the add on manager, which I believe is now built in to xbmc.
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

danfoshizzle wrote:It says to install the skin from the add on manager, which I believe is now built in to xbmc.
But unfortunately it is only installed by default on iDevices :-( I can easily copy it off my iPad but I have no idea how I would then get into onto the Joggler, (I'm a windows person for my sins :-) )

It is a shame because it is a very nice, clean, easy to use Skin
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I don't think it will work as it relies on gestures etc which don't work (yet) on linux.
spoyser

TV on the joggler?

Post by spoyser »

Don't think it does, I certainly haven't got it to work with any!!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

worth a try then. and it doesnt need more than a single "click" to do stuff ?