TV on the joggler?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
ilovemyjoggler

TV on the joggler?

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Do any of the operating systems enable watching tv other than the iplayer on the joggler - particularly TVcatchup, 4OD and ITVplayer? Or is the joggler simply not compatible? Thanks.
roobarb!

Re: TV on the joggler?

Post by roobarb! »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:Do any of the operating systems enable watching tv other than the iplayer on the joggler - particularly TVcatchup, 4OD and ITVplayer? Or is the joggler simply not compatible? Thanks.
The Ubuntu / Xubuntu / Mint / JoliOS ones all have Chrome as their browser, which should work with those just fine. Just make sure that you have 'thermal.psv=80' in the grub.cfg file (explained on BuZz's download page for these OSs), otherwise I find the Joggler can get a bit stuttery (as it believes it is overheating and slows the processor).
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
gegs

Post by gegs »

There are also iPlayer, Demand 5, 4oD, ITVplayer and TVcatchup addons for XBMC, which is a default app on all of BuZz's distros (the gentleman also maintains the XBMC iPlayer addon).
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Yep, ands all the xbmc plugins work lovely, been using xbmc plugins for donkeys now never let me down.
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Oooh lovely! Thanks so much for your replies. Next question then would be which would be the best system to use for tv? I have PNPIII installed so ideally want something on a usb which I can plug in when I need a tv fix and remove when not needed. Also LOVE squeezeplay so would really like that to be on there too. I really am a novice - have absoloutely no knowledge of this stuff - but am prepared to give it a go so the system would need to be fairly straightforward to install and use. In other words, idiot proof. I know that this will be down to personal preference but can anyone suggest which os may be best for my fairly simple needs please....? Thanks again but apologies if these questions are already answered elsewhere in the forum.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

out of the linux distros, I would think jolios is the simplest to use. they are all more complicated than the built in os however, but once used to them, quite usable imho.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Yeah joli is what I would suggest too, it us a real nice looking distro and fits the joggler really well.
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Thank you for the advice - which I am taking!
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Hello. I have finally got joli sorted and amended the thermal trip thing. Yay.

I have downloaded the tvcatchup add on in xbmc. Can anyone please tell me how to navigate within this. I get the tv guide and I can go up and down but only to what is visible on the screen (ie only to BBC3).

Also when I tap to watch a programme I get the error message 'playback link error no details or commands provided'.

And I can't seem to get out of it - no back button.....

And finally, it seems to download this add on everytime I switch the joggler on. Is that normal.

I am not using a mouse but my finger (well, trying to - starting to think I have mutant sized hands).

Any suggestions from xbmc users at all please?
gegs

Post by gegs »

I think the TV catchup addon is refreshing the programme guide data each time you load XBMC. That is normal but you can speed it up by only choosing a one or two day schedule and a two hour window; that way there's a lot less data to download. The default data download is 14 days but I don't know why because there's no PVR functionality in TVcatchup.

There are two versions of the TVcatchup addon and it sounds like you'd be better using the one without the EPG. It just gives a program listing and it's easy to exit the programmes and the addon. If you uninstall the EPG version you won't have the download every time you load XBMC because the other addon fetches the list data each time you use it, not when you load XBMC.

The EPG version is awesome on the Apple TV 2 by the way, but probably a bit unwieldy for the little Joggler.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Well that certainly makes sense. I have changed the setting to 1 day and it is much quicker - is there a way to actually set this as a default? I ask this as I am still on the version with epg as I don't know how to uninstall it.

Also still can't navigate at all within it tvcatchup -am having to power off each time as there are no buttons (for anything). What am I not seeing?

I have this app on my iphone and love it - it is incredibly fast and smooth on that (all be it suitable for viewing by liliputians).

Would be really grateful to know why I can't navigate. Thanks!
gegs

Post by gegs »

Once you've changed the data download to one day in the addon settings that will be the default.

I think the EPG is meant to be navigated with a system that has a down arrow. If you run XBMC fullscreen there isn't a way to scroll down unless you plug in a USB keyboard or use a bluetooth keyboard (there are mini bluetooth keybooards on ebay that would do the trick). Similarly the way to escape the EPG would be to hit the 'Esc' key - but there isn't a close button on the EPG itself so you'd need the keyboard.

You can disable or uninstall the addon in the 'Addons' part of the system settings. If you've installed the TVcatchup repo - available from http://plugins.tvcatchup.com/~xbmc/ - you can install the non-EPG version of the addon. This is probably a better one to use with the Joggler.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

you can try "press and hold" to escape. does the same as a right mouse click which can be used to "go back a screen". just from memory though, not 100% sure.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

I'm afraid this has been nightmarish - I wish I wasn't so stubborn as it's hard to concede defeat.

I can't use Joli or XBMC. I can't find any way of uninstalling tvcatchup in order to install the version without the epg. So as it is it either crashes or takes FOREVER to load - the settings didn't keep and I can't always find them to prevent the entire epg download. I can't find it as an enabled addon. I downloaded the repository addon from the website to see if that would help - but as I'm so unfamiliar with the OS it didn't (help, that is).

I thought I would just check out what tvcatchup looks like on its own website on chrome but sadly it's unwatchable. I lose this round - damn it! Thanks anyway.

(Will keep the usb just in case!)

BTW Buzz, you were right about navigating back by using the long press.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

both versions are already installed with xbmc. under videos/addons.
gegs

Post by gegs »

For general XBMC help you should check the XBMC forums, not this one. http://xbmc.org/ , http://forum.xbmc.org/ and http://www.xbmchub.com might have the answers you're after. They should at least tell you how to install / uninstall plugins and XBMC Hub usually has helpful screen grabs with its instructions.

TVcatchup is better on XBMC than in a browser (sshhh!!! no ads - but don't say I told you).
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Grrr. I have a 12 hour shift at work tomorrow. I should not be sat here, I should be in bed. I have not been looking in the right place - thanks for pointing me in the right direction Buzz.

Gegs, yes, I should be looking elsewhere for help but I had actually given up and decided against trying to suss this out at all. Have gone round the bend with this but mostly because I don't know how to use Joli :) . Hey ho....
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Eureka! Iplayer and tvcatchup sorted. Any idea where might i find 4od and itv player? Weren't in the same list or in 'add more'. Did check the sites gegs mentioned but nothing came back in my searches. Final hurdle then you can get rid of me!
gegs

Post by gegs »

Use the Repositories installer - it's under Programs - to install Mossy's repo. After that go to your Video > Addons, scroll to the bottom of the addons list, select 'Get More' > choose video addons and 4oD should be on the list. Select and install. If you click on any of the other addons that you have installed, there will be an option to configure them (if necessary) and to uninstall or disable.

If you install an addon from a repo it will be updated when a new one is available. If you install from a single addon zip file, it won't.

Demand 5 is in Nixa's repo I think but I don't think he is maintaining it. To work it needs a modified 'default.py' file which you can find on the XBMC forums or perhaps the googlecode page for nixa's addons. I don't know if Nixa is creating updates but I think the XBMC community (including Mossy) have stepped in to fill the gap.

Use the instructions on the XBMC Hub site to add the Fusion installer link to your list of file sources and you will be able to add repos and addons from there.
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

As one of the developers of the TVCatchup EPG addon I'd be interested to know how people are getting on with it on the Joggler (I really should set up one of my Jogglers so I can test it but there just aren't enough hours in the day!)

The EPG does actually have a touch screen mode, unfortunately it only kicks in when on an iPad or iPhone (as we can detect that automatically), what I'll do for the next release is add a setting so you can force touch screen mode.

Also, if you go into the settings and enable "Show Mouse Control Menu" that should help navigate around the guide.

In earlier releases we used to cache all the programs to memory at start up hence reducing the number of days downloaded had a significant effect, however, in the most recent release the database is queried differently so you shouldn't need to reduce the number of days to download (although less data will give a smaller database which may have a small effect I suppose).

@gegs
How are you getting on with the addon on the ATV, the latest version (2.16) has the OSD working when viewing a channel (just hit one of the directions to bring it up).
Have you played around with the themes?