Joggler wont boot from internal MMC Drive

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
g0emf

Joggler wont boot from internal MMC Drive

Post by g0emf »

Hi all,
First time poster so be gentle ;)

I have 2 Jogglers, to cut a long story short :mrgreen:
Joggler 1 working ok :D
Joggler 2 is stuck on the open peak screen. :cry:

I have searched the web and also this excellent forum for a fix but I am now stuck.

Problem
Flashed from the latest re-flash tool, the one that gives you the blue background and the nice green Ready screen when completed ( never gives me any errors) but still stuck on the open peak logo.
I can always boot from any of my USB drives, so its not the good old duff USB pen.

I have :-
3 or 4 different manufactures of USB pens, all do the same (and work without problem on Joggler 1 even when doing a re-flash :o )

Booted into Mint and run benchmarks on the internal MMC drive, looks ok no errors.

Backed up the MMC drive from Joggler 1 and DD this to Joggler 2, this completed without errors, still same problem.

Booted from Mint and blanked all of the MMC drive (all partitions) with zeros, cold booted again from mint and check the MMC drive ( it was blank) no partitions.
Again booted from the re-flash tool all 4 partitions created without any errors but still will not boot.

Have plugged a USB hub in and attempted the esc and FS0: return & boot.nsh (also rebooted and completed FS1: FS2: FS3: with boot.nsh) …..also done a startup.nsh with the above command.

I also have a old re-flash tool from last year, the one you can see the commands running up the screen, again all partitions created and populated without any errors.

So I don’t think it’s a problem with the internal flash as I have never see any errors or inode problems.

PS I have also transferred the (EFS chip) or boot bios from joggler 1 to joggler 2

Have I missed anything :?:

Thanks for any help.
g0emf

Re: Joggler wont boot from internal MMC Drive

Post by g0emf »

If anyone else has the same problem then please read on…

This is not conclusive but I now have a working Joggler.

I have spent the last week flashing, deleting etc… many hours trying to get Joggler 2 up and running.

Problem
Joggler stuck on Open Peak logo

Fix

1) Boot from Mint
2) Delete the MMC using Gparted & and apply settings
3) Re-create one partition on the MMC using Gparted
4) Re-flash the MMC using the latest flash tool (Ver 1.12 I think)

At this point the Joggler would ALWAYS boot from the internal MMC drive, got to this point 20 or 30 times so on my Joggler this was a solid fix ;)

However when I attempted to install PnPIII (just copy files to a USB Pen and boot from the pen) it looked to be installing… re-booted 2 or 3 times then just stopped on the open peak logo :cry:

Left it in that state every time for over 30 mins and I then unplugged the power and re-boot again only to find I am now stuck on the open peak logo again.

The ONLY way to get it to boot again is to boot from Mint and do the complete procedure again!!... time and time again I went round the loop.

Today got a daft idea, do the procedure again but DO NOT boot into the O2 rom to test it boots… just install PnPIII after it closes down (after the rom has flashed)

I just popped the PnPIII USB pen into the Joggler after the flash had completed and 10 mins later I had a fully updated and working Joggler.

I am not able to say what the problem is, the software updates perfectly on my other Joggler so I don’t think it’s a problem with software.

Pleased it’s up and running but would be interested if anyone else is stuck with the same problem.

It’s now “Not Broken” so I am not going to fix it any more!

Hope the above information is useful to someone.

Regards to all and thanks to the developers for the excellent work already done on the Joggler.

Regards
Dave
gadget_hunter

Post by gadget_hunter »

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your info. Have the same problem with one of my jogglers with openpeak boot logo. Could get it to work only one time by using the released OS in April. But when I tried to install PnPIII it failed and a new reboot brought it back to the old problem. Since, I am unable to pass the boot logo. Just today I tried it again with no luck. Would like follow your route of success :) Could you explain in more detail step 2 and 3, as I am a linux novice. What settings you apply (2) AND what partition size (3). Thanks Joerg
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

Booted from Mint and blanked all of the MMC drive (all partitions) with zeros, cold booted again from mint and check the MMC drive ( it was blank) no partitions.
Again booted from the re-flash tool all 4 partitions created without any errors but still will not boot.
Was this just with something like the following?

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0
So you are saying after creating one partition, roobarb's reflashing tool worked, whereas with none it didn't?
So I don’t think it’s a problem with the internal flash as I have never see any errors or inode problems.
So I take it this means you tried running an fsck on all partitions?

I'm suprised the dd restore didn't work :o

Edit: thanks for the write up by the way!
Last edited by Wilberforce on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
g0emf

Post by g0emf »

gadget_hunter wrote:Hi Dave,
Thanks for your info. Have the same problem with one of my jogglers with openpeak boot logo. Could get it to work only one time by using the released OS in April. But when I tried to install PnPIII it failed and a new reboot brought it back to the old problem. Since, I am unable to pass the boot logo. Just today I tried it again with no luck. Would like follow your route of success :) Could you explain in more detail step 2 and 3, as I am a linux novice. What settings you apply (2) AND what partition size (3). Thanks Joerg

Hi Joerg,
Just download Mint for the Joggler and make yourself a bootable USB PEN drive.

Boot into Mint and run Gparted (you might have to download and install it into mint)

See this
http://fullspeedforever.wordpress.com/n ... g-gparted/

All you need to do is select the MMC, delete the 4 partition & apply the settings.

Create one new partition the full size of the MMC, the type does not matter, apply settings & close Gparted.

Close mint

Reboot from the latest flash tool & keep fingers crossed :o

Let me know how you get on.
Dave
g0emf

Post by g0emf »

Wilberforce wrote:
Was this just with something like the following?

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0
So you are saying after creating one partition, roobarb's reflashing tool worked, whereas with none it didn't?
Edit: thanks for the write up by the way!

So I take it this means you tried running an fsck on all partitions?

I'm suprised the dd restore didn't work :o
Yup dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0 failed to resolve it for me, I did checkand all partitions gone.... and the reflash recreated the 4 partitions
fsck no errors at all.

Very very odd.

Regards
Dave
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

Nice work. Will be interesting to see if works for gadget _hunter as well :D
gadget_hunter

Post by gadget_hunter »

Wilberforce wrote:Nice work. Will be interesting to see if works for gadget _hunter as well :D
I am on the case :) Have to free some usb sticks first. Will report back soon. :D
gadget_hunter

Post by gadget_hunter »

As promised, here now my experience concerning 'g0emf's' findings. I have to admit, that I cannot stop smiling right now, :D as it worked perfectly and brought my problem joggler back to life.
I used 'Mint' and installed gpart on it. After deleting all partitions and recreating only one partition, I used 'roobard's' flashing tool. The previous version, as I had only a 1gb usb stick available.
It recreated the 4 partitons and flashed. After booting I had the internal memory back alive. :) As 'g0emf' mentioned PnPIII will not work after this and I had to install it directly after re-flash with no boot in between. Fantastic, I think this flashing trick will bring all problem joggler currently around back to full working order.
Awesome Dave, many many thanks for sharing. Thumb up!!!
Regards,
Joerg
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

gadget_hunter wrote:I used 'Mint' and installed gpart on it. After deleting all partitions and recreating only one partition, I used 'roobard's' flashing tool. The previous version, as I had only a 1gb usb stick available. It recreated the 4 partitons and flashed. After booting I had the internal memory back alive. :)
Weird! Very weird!

I have a Joggler with the same predicament, so I will try this out at some point. If I can confirm that it works, I'll add it to the Reflashing Tool in some way. My guess is that when the single partition is created and the Joggler is power cycled, the internal MMC is detected differently at startup. This is conjecture and speculation, but who cares if it works? ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
dazza99

Post by dazza99 »

Thanks this is great - the first time I've been able to boot into the original os for 6 months!

The single partition works for me too!

Thanks again
Whizzey

Post by Whizzey »

Update on progress, this has fixed my issues too, nothing had previously worked, but booting into Mint, deleting the 4 partitions and creating a new one (just accepted the defaults), then using the OpenPeak flash tool worked. It will now consistently boot into the OpenPeak OS. Thanks!

I havent tried putting PNP3 on it yet, but I am suspecting that it will cause it not to boot as others have reported when trying to apply PNP3 after a successful boot.
I am assuming from the posts above that to get PNP3 on it I will need to repeat the process, reflash using Roobarbs tool, and then boot with PNP3 on a pendrive as PNP3 will update the original O2 OS during boot, not after (which seems to be the issue for some reason).

When I get a little more time I'll test to confirm the above, but happy to have a working Joggler again! :D
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Whizzey wrote:Update on progress, this has fixed my issues too, nothing had previously worked, but booting into Mint, deleting the 4 partitions and creating a new one (just accepted the defaults), then using the OpenPeak flash tool worked. It will now consistently boot into the OpenPeak OS. Thanks!

I havent tried putting PNP3 on it yet, but I am suspecting that it will cause it not to boot as others have reported when trying to apply PNP3 after a successful boot.
I am assuming from the posts above that to get PNP3 on it I will need to repeat the process, reflash using Roobarbs tool, and then boot with PNP3 on a pendrive as PNP3 will update the original O2 OS during boot, not after (which seems to be the issue for some reason).

When I get a little more time I'll test to confirm the above, but happy to have a working Joggler again! :D
It's nothing to do with PnP specifically, just that if your internal memory is a little prone to issues then ANY rebooting could result in it failing to boot up again. If you are installing PnP on the original o2 OS then there are more reboots. If you are installing it on the OpenPeak OS then there is one reboot at the end of the install process.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
Whizzey

Post by Whizzey »

offbeatdave wrote:It's nothing to do with PnP specifically, just that if your internal memory is a little prone to issues then ANY rebooting could result in it failing to boot up again. If you are installing PnP on the original o2 OS then there are more reboots. If you are installing it on the OpenPeak OS then there is one reboot at the end of the install process.
Apologies offbeatdave, I wasnt trying to suggest PnP itself was the cause, but re-reading my post I can see how that might come across.

With the above in mind (not suggesting PnP is causing problems), I have tried a few things and have the following to report.

As per my previous post, using the delete all partitions, create 1, then reflash seems to consistently put the Joggler in a position from which it will reliably boot. By reliably I mean I can turn it off and back on to my hearts content (tried it 4 times on each OS) and it will always boot.
I have tried this with both reflashing tools (Roobarb Original O2 OS and OpenPeak New OS) with what appears to be the same result.

Happy with these results, I decided to try and intall PnP3 from the latest build.

Firstly I tried from the OpenPeak OS. Booted it up waited for it to settle and checked weather on the weather app. Plugged in my USB with PnP on it and executed the 2 commands from the instructions through PuTTY (telnet). As per all the other installs for friends and family, it appeared to do what I would expect, loads of text on screen installing all the stuff (perl, apps, Squeezplay etc.), however when it all finishes it just sits on the O2 logo (I left it for about 30mins).
After power cycling its back to where it was before, unable to boot past the O2 logo.

Secondly I tried it twice with the Original O2 OS.
First time I had installed the Original OS and got it booting reliably. Stuck the USB drive in and rebooted. I am assuming it did its thing as there was lots of light flashing from the USB drive, but after coming back to it about 20mins later and watching it, there was no USB activity and it was just sat at the O2 logo.
Second time (after the partition trick again), once Roobarb's reflash tool had finished and shutdown the Joggler, I put the USB drive with PnP on it in the USB port (after removing the remove_for_new_install file created from the last attempt), and powered up the joggler.
It got to the O2 logo again, lots of USB light flashing, couple of blank screens, and 20 mins later no USB activity and it's sat at the O2 logo. Went and did something for 10mins just incase and came back and it was still there.
Power cycled a couple of times and gave it plenty of time to boot, but no joy.

Since the attempts above I have done the 1 partition trick again and got it up and running reliably with the OpenPeak OS. End result is still a good one, as before I had a paper wait that would show me the O2 logo, and now I have a useable Joggler, just a shame I cant seem to get PnP on it.

As mentioned when I started this post, I dont think its a problem with PnP as such, its an Issue with this particular Joggler. I know this because I have installed PnP on 4 other happily working Joggler's with absolutely no issues. There is obviously something just a little odd about this 5th one.

Apologies for such a large post, just thought a detailed explanation might be handy for information. If anyone has any brainwaves, or are in a similar situation but have managed to get PnP on it through a different method than those I have tried, let me know and I'll be happy to give them a try.

Thanks again for all the input, without this forum this odd Joggler would still be a paperweight!

PS: Recently I installed PnP on a Joggler from a guy I work with who was unhappy about the update from O2 (debranding). He was grinning from ear to ear the next day and had nothing but praise for it :)
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

g0emf wrote: Just download Mint for the Joggler and make yourself a bootable USB PEN drive.

Boot into Mint and run Gparted (you might have to download and install it into mint)

See this
http://fullspeedforever.wordpress.com/n ... g-gparted/

All you need to do is select the MMC, delete the 4 partition & apply the settings.

Create one new partition the full size of the MMC, the type does not matter, apply settings & close Gparted.

Close mint

Reboot from the latest flash tool & keep fingers crossed :o
This is the Holy Grail!!
I have had one joggler that I could not get booting from internal memory at all, no matter what I tried. I had tried numerous usb sticks, flashing with roobarb's reflash tool (various versions), writing null to the memory and not once would it boot from internal.

Well, after using a Mint distribution, installing gparted, deleting the 4 partitions, creating a single partition, then flashing with the latest Openpeak OS, it now boots consistently from internal memory. What a find! So far, I have booted it 10 times without fail.

Cheers for posting this. As you said roobarb, it may be worth looking into this for your next version of the reflash tool.

Cheers.
elvosparsley

Post by elvosparsley »

I have almost exactly the same situation, here's what I've tried after the openpeak update caused it to get stuck at the O2 logo.

1. Using Mint to delete the 4 partitions and the reflash using the birdslikewires reflasher works (life-saver!)

2. Installing PnPIII works, but after the 2nd reboot sticks at the O2 logo. (3 cold boots and left on for 15 mins each time)

3. Flashing with updated Openpeak firmware sticks at the O2 logo. (3 cold boots and left on for 15 mins each time)

I'd like to try PnPII with the O2 Native OS, but I can't find any links, only the Base Beta and MKIII seem to be available.

Has anybody a copy they could point me to?

Thanks
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

It'll be nothing to do with any differences between PnP II and PnP III.

PnP II doesn't work properly with the OpenPeak version. PnP III doesn't behave any differently to PnP II when installing/running on the original o2 OS. The only changes as far as PnP II/III on the original o2 OS is concerned are the available apps which have no influence on the stability of the internal memory.

What are you referring to as the Base Beta by the way?
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Ah, the original gforums PnP!
elvosparsley

Post by elvosparsley »

Joggler now works with PnPIII, here's my method:

1. Reflash to native OS using birdslikewires method. (make sure you can successfully reboot after installing)

2. Flash using the small Openpeak image

3. When it finishes loading, set DHCP to 'off' (make sure you can successfully reboot after setting)

4. Install PnPIII

I've successfully rebooted 5 times now so am happy this has fixed the problem.

offbeatdave, I didn't mean to imply PnPIII was the cause of the problem, I was just trying all possible options to narrow down the cause of the lock up.
Like many others I'd like to thank you for providing this incredibly useful install which saves hours of work.