Linux Mint for the O2 Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
hawsey

Re: Linux Mint for the O2 Joggler

Post by hawsey »

Thanks BuZz much appreciated :-)
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Posted on another thread regarding setting up a hdd with xbmc using mint.
This question is mint specific though so posting here.
At the mo I have my music all in a 500gb partition on my external hdd in G and had mint in I think 3 partitions and it was working great but after a scan to library reported out of memory in a warning box.
My question is what would be the easiest way to set this up again correctly .?
Say I just wipe everything and start again how would I from within mint expand the partition causing the memory issue?
Happy Joggling
gegs

Post by gegs »

hawsey wrote:Say I just wipe everything and start again how would I from within mint expand the partition causing the memory issue?
Normally you can't expand a partition while it is mounted. Make sure you have the Mint hard drive attached to your PC while it is off, then use a Gparted Live CD or USB stick to boot from. Be very careful which device you choose from the drop-down menu in the top right corner of Gparted's GUI, making sure you choose the Mint hard drive or you could end up fiddling with your computer's own hard drive(s). Then it's just a case of choosing to edit the partitions and moving sliders left or right in the GUI and applying the changes. I'd avoid touching the boot partition because I tried it once out of curiosity and it wouldn't boot after that.

The process may take a while but don't interrupt anything until it's finished or you could brick the drive.

The Gparted Live instructions are here:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/display- ... pplication
Last edited by gegs on Wed May 08, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Cheers M8 I think I was almost there the other night but divvied up 80gb between the three mint partitions including the boot one,
so tonight I will copy over the three partitions again and expand the two which are not the boot one.
You are right, could be nasty if I chose the pc's hdd by mistake, :-/ just give me something else to tinker with I suppose
Heh heh

Cheers
Happy Joggling
gegs

Post by gegs »

Good luck!

Once you get the hang of Gparted you'll find it a very useful tool, even though you only need it occasionally. I always have a Live CD near at hand but, on reading the capabilities of the latest version, it looks like I need to burn a more up-to-date copy.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I managed to copy the files across from my Mint usb boot stick and get the hdd to boot mint again :-)
But wiped my music in the process :-/
Never mind I can copy that across again my main concern at the mo is to expand the two partitions that are not boot to stop the memory message I got after scanning my music library.
I managed to install gparted in mint and run it using sudo gparted but when I try to expand the partitions they will only shrink not expand:|
I know I am doing something basic wrong here but not sure what
I have had a good play about with it but not managed to work it out yet.
Any ideas
Thx
Happy Joggling
gegs

Post by gegs »

hawsey wrote:I managed to install gparted in mint and run it using sudo gparted but when I try to expand the partitions they will only shrink not expand...
The best bet is to do your partitioning on another computer using Gparted Live with the portable hard disk attached. Partitioning generally shouldn't be attempted on mounted volumes.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Ahh I see doh my inexperience lol
Will have another go tonight I didnt use the live CD method due to laziness partly and having ran out of blank ones :$
Suppose I could prob make up a live usb like we use on the jogglers.
Its a learning curve anyway :-)
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Still trying to get this right :-/
The out of memory issue Mint is showing is only after I have scanned my music to Library so the data must be going in to one of the first partitions and I cant work out how to change this.
I now have Mint set up auto booting in to XBMC like I want with a new 600gb ish partition awaiting my music , ideally all the xbmc data would go in to this partition also.

Any ideas kind people :-).
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

OK I am really cheating here and gave the question to the home automation server (testing it's AI) and this is what it (she?) said.

Note I am just the messenger here and this may not be correct.

1 - STOP XBMC if running

2 - # change into the xbmc location

cd $HOME/.xbmc

3 - # rename userdata to something else for a moment

cd ..
mv userdata userdata.b4

4 - # create symbolic link to partition

ln -s /path/to/52gb/partition userdata

5 - # now copy userdata stuff back

cp -r userdata.b4/* userdata/

6 - Start up XBMC and see if all looks ok

7 - If it does not, STOP XBMC

cd $HOME/.xbmc
rm userdata
mv userdata.b4 userdata

8 - ...and you are back to normal

9 - If XBMC does look ok after the symlink then
you can clean up.

cd $HOME/.xbmc
rm -rf userdata.b4

I am just typing what my HA computer told me to type.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Eeek Pete I have no idea what you are on about above he he he, I guess thats why I have problems setting up simple stuff like this
:$
I sort of got things working, I set up mint on to my hdd as before, made the extra space on my hdd in to a proper partition, fat, copied over my music, exported my library from my main xbmc set up, importef the library it my new mint xbmc set up.
It is all whizzing along nicely just as I wanted except at the minute it wont play my music lol
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Actually "on" too late last night playing with OpenPeak 2 ...til 3am getting up a 5 am; redoing some electrical stuff this morning removing the fuse panel cover and rearranging some wires and now this afternoon have become a bit jibberish....

Have been playing with one of those animated faces with AI / VR stuff software (Is it real; as real as the computer I guess?)

Relating to your concern I just did a search over at the XBMC forums for a person / situation / issue like yours and found a solution.

A while back I did have an issue with the Joggler to USB card. 99.9% of the time it worked fine; then sometimes would just switch by itself to the internal audio.

Let us know how how it goes with your Linux Mint /new hard drive / XBMC / sound endeavor eh?
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I am re visiting my Xbmc Linux Mint set up tonight and have an issue I hope someone can help me with.
I have xbmc auto booting on startup of mint and the issue is that even though I can see my music library it will not play,
If I then exit xbmc then re start it then everything is fine
I have a feeling that xbmc is starting up before Mint has had a chance to recognise my music folder but this is only a guess.
Any clues good people?
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

My current OP2 XBMC OS in the 2 Gb MMC works OK with networked NAS drives.

The pics, movies and music are all on separate NAS drives on the network.

That said maybe try creating a cron job for XBMC such that it waits a bit.

Most recently here have added the security cameras as playlist files and they are doing OK.
Attachments
xbmc-zm-1.jpg
xbmc-zm-2.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Oooo like your xbmc security set up Pete, how is it set up?
I dont know what you mean about Cron I am a bit if a Linux infant :-) will Google it tho.

The reason I want to use xbmc via mint is that for me it runs faster than xbmc os which gives me lots of screen pauses and blackouts but not sure why.

Also I want to be able to drop back to desktop sometimes to do other stuff :-)
Big thanks to BuZz for providing this and all the other excellent Joggler goodness he does,
Cheers
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Oooo like your xbmc security set up Pete, how is it set up?
Its just a playlist file which streams live video (720 or 480) from the security DVR (Zoneminder). I have multiple streaming set up with the HD cameras (SD and HD) and the older analog cameras are all SD. IE: streaming live TV works best at SD or 720HD; not really that good at 1080HD (works but a bit jittery).

Right now its one playlist file per stream. Each playlist file then is set up to be a "favorite".

Understood about the Joggler/XBMC. I am seeing (for whatever reason) that the Openframe2 devices do a little bit better on streaming video stuff / xbmc than the original Joggler. If Linux though booted off the seabios/coreboot/PATA drive (slow still) you could then use a 16Gb SSD drive inside of the Joggler (I am doing that today with the XP'd Jogglers).

That and the larger Openframe2 with the speakers in the front has a 2Gb MMC card that XBMC fits on.
- Pete

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Updates to Linux Mint 13 images (03/01/2014)

* Package rollups (includes XBMC 12.3).
* Kernel 3.2.53.
* Improved eth0 MAC address assigning script.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Updates to Linux Mint 13 images (22/05/2014)

* Package rollups (includes XBMC 13.1b2).
* Kernel 3.2.58.
* F2FS images now available.
asajay

Post by asajay »

Greetings,
Absolute noob here.

I obtained an OpenPeak OpenFrame 2.0 device, surplus from work. It works but I'd like to do a bit more with it.

I downloaded the Linux Mint for Joggler (ext4 version). I verified the checksum and put the image onto a 4G USB drive using dd. I plugged it in and re-applied power to the OpenFrame

It begins to boot but runs into a problem; I'll try to type the whole thing here:

ACPI: no DMI BIOS year, acpi=force is required to enable ACPI
EFI: ioremap of 0x1FAF0000 failed!
usbhid 4-2:1.1: couldn't find an input interrupt endpoint
Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
- Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
- Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
- Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
- Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-label/linux-root does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox v1.18.5 (Ubuntu 1:1.18.5-1ubuntu4.1) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)

---------------------
So the last part is pretty self-explanatory... it drops to a shell and is waiting for input.

Much of all that is Greek to me, but looks to be having problems finding items in the image?
Is it possible the image is corrupt?
Should I try a different USB drive? (I'll probably have to buy a new one)
Does this require me to have an input device, like a USB keyboard attached? (currently only the USB drive is plugged in)
Is the OpenFrame hardware different enough that the Joggler image won't work? (if that's it, is there any hope for me to run something else on this?)

I would appreciate any hints, clues or ideas for me to try next. This is mostly an after hours project for me just playing around. I typically know my way around Linux just enough to be dangerous, and I don't want to get into this unless I get a couple of clues. :)

Thank you,
Asa Jay

EDIT - More info
Checking the USB drive using fdisk I get three partitions:
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdc1p1 * 2048 126975 62464 e W95 FAT16 (LBA)
/dev/sdc1p2 126976 626687 249856 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdc1p3 626688 7800831 3587072 83 Linux

Does this look correct?
The device was listed in the mount table as /dev/sdc1 so that's what I used with the dd command. Should I have used /dev/sdc instead?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

you should be using /dev/sdc in this case (safer to use /dev/disk/by-id/nameofdevice) - /dev/sdc1 would have been the first partition on the usb stick. you write the image over the entire usb (/dev/sdc) rather than the first partition on the usb.

note that the linux mint image is based on linux mint 13 - which is from 2012 (I didn't do a newer one due to lack of interest). The latest xubuntu is 14.04 which is much newer.

regarding keyboard, it has an on-screen keyboard. a usb keyboard is handy if you need to do a lot of configuration though, or install openssh and do it remotely.