Linux Mint for the O2 Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
BuZz
Site Admin

Linux Mint for the O2 Joggler

Post by BuZz »

* Linux Mint for the O2 Joggler is no longer maintained *

Linux Mint for the O2 Joggler is available for download from http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/mint/

Please use this thread for discussion/support relating to the image.

Linux Mint 13 (Maya)
The latest version of the image is v1.6 released on the 01/11/2014
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Linux Mint for the O2 Joggler

Post by BuZz »

New image released v1.6

* Upgraded to kernel 2.6.37.3
* Backported btrfs with lzo compression for much better performance with compressed btrfs
* /proc/sys/vm changes for better performance running from a flash device
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

New versions of all Linux images (again)

* Use NOOP io scheduler by default that should be faster on USB flash devices
* Shutdown/Reboot should be more reliable
* Use text splash screens on boot

More info and downloads from http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

This was my first image, as I liked linux mint 9 at the time, but I'm wondering if anyone actually uses it ? if not I might concentrate my time on future updates to jolicloud/ubuntu maverick for example - updating one less distro will save me some hours.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I use Linux Mint on my PC but I have concentrated on the Ubuntu image on the Joggler because that's what most of the forum posts relate to. I'm all for choice and it's great to have a Mint distro, but if hardly anyone is using it maybe your time could be better spent. Another alternative would be to update less frequently than the Ubuntu versions.

Despite using your great Ubuntu images on the Joggler, I did actually download and use Mint when I was trying to fix my USB sound problem (mentioned on the Ubuntu Maverick thread). It is fabulous and I'll probably load the image onto another USB stick. Because I have two Jogglers, it would be interesting to see which image (Mint or Ubuntu) is quicker or more stable with prolonged use.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I think maverick is the most stable (only because mint menu can crash - apart from that they are almost identical). Linux mint is basically just ubuntu with their own stuff on top - and the mint menu can be a bit slow (and has bugs). Still I prefer the mint layout on a desktop from ubuntu (and use it on my main pc also).
garyc

Post by garyc »

I switched to using Mint on my Joggler about 6 months ago, I just preferred it over Ubuntu (used Stephen Ford's Netbook Remix before).

Anyway, I just caught up with Jools' activity on Exotica and installed the Mint 10 Image v1.7 btrfs comp version last night. Love the Florence keyb and I was surprised at how well XBMC worked, including the iPlayer plugin (and the dr.dk and SVT swedish television equivalents). Full screen playback is much smoother - XBMC picks up the video accel with movies via the new mplayer I assume, but does this benefit the video plugins like iplayer as well?

Only snag is that attempting to play any music file just dumped me out of XBMC and back to the desktop. Audio is working fine in Movie playback in XBMC and also Squeezeplay. Any ideas of what to look for?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

garyc wrote: Only snag is that attempting to play any music file just dumped me out of XBMC and back to the desktop. Audio is working fine in Movie playback in XBMC and also Squeezeplay. Any ideas of what to look for?
disable the music visualiser - it doesn't currently work. This is mentioned in the xbmc section on joggler.exotica.org.uk ;-)
garyc

Post by garyc »

Ok thanks, that solved it. I hadn't read that far - though I did try to make the alsa conf edit for Squeezeplayer, to find that it had already been done!
Cheers.
jamesg

Post by jamesg »

Jools, thanks for all your hard work on these distros. I'm using Linux Mint on one of my Jogglers and it works very well.

I run it on a 4Gb Sandisk microSD as the reader is a lot smaller than a USB memory stick. I just bought another card (4Gb Kingston microSD) to run on my other Joggler, but the card is only 3780MB!

Is there a way I can shrink down your image to fit on this card? I'm not quite sure how to deal with Btrfs.

Thanks.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

you got a bad stick. id send it back! it is possible to shrink it. i guess i could do you a smaller build. send me a pm to remind me, but i recommend you just get a proper mansize thingy :)
jamesg

Post by jamesg »

Cheers. It was only about 4 quid on ebay, so not worth sending back. Don't worry about doing an updated image (unless it's very quick!), it's a useful learning experience for me to fix it myself.

I haven't tried yet, but looks like I can probably use "btrfsctl" to shrink the FS by a few MB, and then just resize the ext3 partition.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

if you could live with the ext4 version you could just flash it to a bigger memory stick, shrink it with gparted, make a new smaller image & flash that to your dodgy memory stick.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

For a limited time only

http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/img/jamesg.img.gz

3GB image with btrfs compressed. you can resize it to fill the extra space on your stick by following instructions here http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... fsctl#p305
jamesg

Post by jamesg »

That's spot on! Thanks for taking the time to create this image. I've now got one Joggler as a flickr photoframe and the other as a NAT router :)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Linux Mint 10
v1.8 (04/04/2011)

* Updated Kernel to 2.6.38.2 - Includes fix for EFI framebuffer palette bug, so graphical boots now look right
* Packaged vendor wireless driver due to reports of improved stability and better wireless N support
* Updated to latest Ubuntu Maverick/Linux Mint packages
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Linux Mint 10
v1.9 (23/04/2011)

Kernel 2.6.38.4
Package updates
Default to max cstate=2 to avoid crackles on (all) jogglers without grub.cfg editing
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Images updated:

Linux Mint 11 (image v1.0)

* New EMGD v1.8 - xbmc now works without having to build against gl-es
* Don't ship squeezeplay by default, but add install script to install squeezeplay from birdlikewires (Thanks Roobarb!)
* Updated packages to current versions - including latest xbmc with excellent Xeebo skin (Thanks Hitcher)
* Ditch uncompressed btrfs version - the compressed works better and there seems little use case for the uncompressed currently compared to ext4.
* Use 256MB swap by default. On a smaller memory stick, it makes more sense.
michaellzg

Post by michaellzg »

Hello BuZz ,I am a O2 Joggler fan from China.It's very exciting to see your latest version of Linux Mint for O2 Joggler.Thank U for the hardworking !
I downloaded the new version ASAP but find the download link of the Mint 11(Katya) and Mint 10(Julia) are the same.(It can be seen clearly from the file name)
I don't know why,or just did it wrong way.
It will be appreciated if you replying me.
Forgive me for the poor English.
By the way,in China we also have some Geeker working on Joggler.If you know some Chinese,you will have fun in our forum
http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/forumdispla ... =62&page=1
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

simple answer. i messed up. I'll fix it now. sorry

[fixed] sorry about that. i had the images generating while i was at the pub. came back drunk. did some bad editing ;-)

I don't know chinese, but id love to visit china, heh. im not sure i would be welcome on your forum though since I would just be writing english and perhaps cant even work out how to sign up. I believe a lot of the android work has been by chinese on the joggler?

ps. i like linux mint 11 on the desktop. on the joggler, its better after disabling a lot of the startup stuff, but i still prefer jolios personally. although for me the new xbmc functionality is great (I didnt yet post my patches.. much less than last time, just some relating to touchscreen and sdl)