Linux Mint for the O2 Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Linux Mint for the O2 Joggler

Post by BuZz »

i think i managed to almost open an account. on the last screen i got was some text that translated as "waiting for management review".

i've got a feeling its easier to write english than chinese ;-) (Typical English excuse for not learning languages but i can do a bit of german/ french.. but chinese - im lost ! :) )
michaellzg

Post by michaellzg »

Thank U for replying. I've downloaded the new Mint and ready for experiencing.

Is the Joli OS for joggler a cloud sys ? faster than Mint and Ubuntu ? I haven't used cloud sys before,still a rookie in Linux.

Chinese Geeker have done a lot of work on android for sure.But as i know a lot of user still prefer CDlinux.

Chinese language is not good at programming or describing and structure.The point of Chinese is the meaning.

PS the Chinese character will make you crazy
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

its not a true "cloud" os. but the interface is on their server so you need a net connection (although after being logged in you can still use some apps even if disconnected and actually it functions like an ubuntu machine even without signing in - just no nice gui).

But its a mix of remote and local apps. it can synchronise between machines which is useful, with the apps they support.

for example you can install spotify with a few clicks. on ubuntu spotify involves installing wine etc and is more work.
Nn jolisos after installing on one machine sign in on another joggler and you can sync (so it will install spotify there too). it does the setting up of wine etc automatically so it is quite nice for things like that.

local apps such as xbmc wont be synced (unless they are provided/supported by jolios)

best thing (i think) about my new updates is the new drivers and xbmc. let me know how you get on.

I bought a webcam with the intention of making some videos of the joggler, so i should get around to doing that.

[edit] in answer to your speed question. well jolios is based on ubuntu lucid, but stripped down. it actually boots slower than ubuntu natty on the joggler, but the interface is friendlier so i use it on mine (kitchen and bedroom). its pretty low on memory usage though. Anyway, give it a try and let me know. I have a thread on the forum for the jolios version.
nigelh

Post by nigelh »

I ignored Mint when I was trying out different operating systems a while ago. And because my JoliOS image stopped working, I thought i would give it a go.

Mint 11 on the Joggler works lovely and is pretty fast compared to JoliOS. I don't use a keyboard, but I can navigate around most things using finger touch.
FyodorNinian

Post by FyodorNinian »

I've been using Mint 10 for Squeezeplay and as a Squeezebox Server. It's been fantastic - a really stable and responsive server for the squeezebox duets on my system and squeezeplay has been great. Mint is on a 4gb usb card, a portable harddrive is also connected for the squeezebox server. Thanks to all involved for getting it all up and running so well.

I have a couple of issues I can't find answers to. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm a bit of a novice with linux/mint/etc...
- Should I allow updates? Chrome has slowed right down and I'm not sure whether it's because I've filled up too much real estate with updates.
- I couldn't get my Logitech usb connected (not powered) speakers to work, so I went back to the native os and pnp'ed in to change the soundcard setting to 'USB soundcard with mixer'. I then reloaded native OS, then reloaded Mint. Speakers now work with everything except Squeezplay in mint... but it's only mainly Squeezplay I use, so am a bit stumped. Squeezplay now plays through the joggler's speakers - everything else plays through the usb connected external speakers. I'm hoping to have better sound quality with usb out rather than 3.5 jack out.

As stated, any help would be much appreciated :-)
gegs

Post by gegs »

I think you might need to change the device that sound is served through in Mint. It's probably defaulting to the internal soundcard but if you choose the USB soundcard as the output option it should be OK. I had the same problem with Ubuntu and it was simply a case of opening up the sound device properties and clicking the radio button next to the correct device.
trevordavies

Post by trevordavies »

Looks like the module ramzswap is missing from the kernel - I have had a boost from this before on disca's UNR I think.

Buzz - can you add ramzswap to your kernels? And thanks so much for your images and this site!

t
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

just checked up on ramzswap. it was renamed in 2.6.38 to zram, and is available on my builds. however the ubuntu initramfs doesnt support it (just compcache/ramzswap modules) in natty. it is supported by initramfs in ubuntu oneric. modprobe zram and give it a go.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

New Linux Mint 11 (Katya) image available - v1.1 (03/11/2011):

* Linux Kernel 3.1
* New Xorg evdev, with excellent right mouse click emulation.
* In kernel ethernet driver replaced with vendor driver to avoid some lockups.
* Distro package updates, and updated XBMC.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I had created the image with thermal.psv setting by accident. I have temporarily removed the linux mint images until they have been regenerated.
FyodorNinian

Post by FyodorNinian »

Hi Buzz, When will the new Mint image be available? Looking forward to installing it. I use Mint on two of my three Jogglers. All work well, but I couldn't get update to work on any of them with Mint 11. Update screen just goes blank after starting up. Update worked on Mint 10.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

update should be fine on mint 11. shortly after i posted the last message mint 11 was available again and it was only an issue for those that use heatsinks and dont want to change the throttle temp. mint 12 will be available after release - http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1851
trevordavies

Post by trevordavies »

linuxmint12 looks like a leap too far for a mere joggler- requires 3d acceleration

anyway - back to zram (and now zcache which seems like it might be better.)
I can't find the module in either of http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/img/ubunt ... rfs.img.gz nor http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/img/xubun ... rfs.img.gz

is it only in the ext4 ones?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

trevordavies wrote:linuxmint12 looks like a leap too far for a mere joggler- requires 3d acceleration
linux mint 12 has gnome2 classic also (in the form of a fork called Mate).

joggler has quite decent 3d.
I can't find the module in either of http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/img/ubunt ... rfs.img.gz nor http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/img/xubun ... rfs.img.gz

which module specifically can't you find ?
trevordavies

Post by trevordavies »

BuZz wrote:

which module specifically can't you find ?
in a standard install of Lubuntu 11.10 (in a virtualbox) I see /lib/modules/3.0.0-14-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/zcache/zcache.ko (and zram/zram.ko)
but there's no 'staging' dir in the joggler's equivalent: /lib/modules/3.1.0joggler2/kernel/drivers/

I was looking specifically for "zram" but I'd take "zcache" too

thanks!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I had zram on earlier builds, but you are right it isn't in my 3.1.x releases. Ill make sure it is in the next update (not too long). I might rebase my config changes over ubuntu defaults and compile in a bit more, since slimming it down seems to meansI miss something and have to do another build and re-add it.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Could you make your config file and patches available again when you do? I know you always do, I'm just finding them really handy at the mo. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

will do. well how about i build a new kernel - perhaps based on ubuntu config with joggler tweaks/patches - ie - build in everything and you give it a go. i think ive given up trying to slim it down, even though there is plenty of things a joggler will never need as a module, it seems i miss something someone needs so.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Can do - though I'm away from my Joggler for a bit at the moment. Although I might be near one for a couple of days soon, so I could experiment on that one! ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Updates for Linux Mint 11 (30/12/2011)

* Kernel 3.1.6.
* Latest EMGD - note seems to cause screen corruption on shutdown.
* Xserver 1.10
* New version of the Florence on screen keyboard with support for mouse modifiers (alt + left click to move window for example).
* General package rollup/ubuntu updates.
* Note: Some of these updates are also available for older images via the Joggler PPA on launchpad.