Another non-booting joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
andyf

Another non-booting joggler

Post by andyf »

I've scanned the forums, and found a number of related posts, but I'm not sure what the most up to date knowledge is...

I have a Joggler, which used to be fine. Over the space of a few months it became more unreliable - After powering off it wouldn't boot the next time. Usually, reflashing with Roobarbs reflasher fixed it. Usually, at this point it would also still boot form alternate OS's on USB sticks. I'm presuming it was a sign that the Flash was gradually failing.

It's sadly now gone a step beyond that. The onboard flash I presume is gone forever. It boots to the O2 logo, but won't boot into anything, either onboard or from a USB stick. It just sits there at the O2 logo. Is there any known way to recover from this, or should it be consigned to the broken joggler graveyard (Ebay!)? I'd happily run something else from a USB stick if I could get it to boot ok.

Andy.
cbredfred

Re: Another non-booting joggler

Post by cbredfred »

Are you saying that the same USB stick that used to boot with the reflashing tool no longer boots?
Have you tried connecting a keyboard and giving the blind "fs0" etc etc commands?
andyf

Post by andyf »

Yep, It won't boot from any USB stick now, even the ones that it used to boot from quite happily. The USB stick flashes briefly, but it just sits at the O2 screen.

Not tried plugging a keyboard in, I guess that's my next step.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Try the method below from Roobarbs site http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/jogglerflash , it rescued my "stuck on o2 screen Joggler" perfectly ; i now have a second one to do thanks to o2 !!
Remember for the instructions below , you are typing blind over the top of the o2 logo as soon as you switch on .

“The reflash system doesn’t boot properly.”

So long as you see a boot logo (O2 or OpenPeak) on screen when you turn on the Joggler, it’s likely that you just need to use a different memory stick. Most (but not all) will boot the Joggler, but then it’s important that the stick be robust and of good quality, otherwise the process will fail later on.

If you’ve tried a couple of alternative USB sticks and the Joggler still won’t boot (but displays a boot logo) you will need to explicitly tell it where to boot from. This can only be done using a USB keyboard and hub.

Attach a keyboard and your memory stick to the Joggler through a USB hub. Powered hubs are best, but you may have success if your keyboard has a built-in hub.
Turn on your Joggler and immediately begin pressing ESCAPE repeatedly for around 10 seconds.
Type fs0: and press RETURN. You won’t see any text on screen.
Type boot.nsh and press RETURN.
With luck, the reflashing system should fire up. If nothing happens, try again. If nothing continues to happen, try fs1:, fs2:, etc. You may need to power off between attempts. Alternatively, try swapping around the order of devices on your USB hub or try another hub.

If you see no boot logo when powering on, you may have a fault with your EFI chip. There’s no fixing this without having a second working Joggler and nerves of steel. You will need to read ‘Recovering a Bricked EFI’ on the wiki.
Happy Joggling
andyf

Post by andyf »

Tried two hubs, including one that happily boots Squeeze OS on another joggler and had no luck whatsoever :-(

When I enter the boot.nsh command the usb key access light flashes for a few seconds, but then nothing. Still stuck at the O2 logo.

I seem to remember seeing a thread somewhere on here (That I cant seem to locate now) which theorised that when the internal Flash degrades/wears out (as I suspect mine has) it can stop the joggler booting entirely as it is failing on some kind of bootup test?

Andy.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

I have one with a completely knackered internal flash. It makes out the partitions are locked and won't re-write anything to them.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

When you say you tried two hubs ?
On mine that was stuck on O2 logo to rescue it back to it now being able to boot an image ( but not boot stock os ) I put the reflashing tool on to a usb stick and plugged it straight in to the Joggler then did the above process but plugged in to an ethernet port of my router as wi fi had failed for me!
At least it can now boot from an image :-)
Happy Joggling
andyf

Post by andyf »

When you say you put the reflashing tool on a stick plugged straight in (No hub I presume) where did you plug the keyboard so that you could follow the fs0:/boot.nsh procedure? Was it on the internal (wifi removed) usb port?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Sorry Andy my post was confusing!!
Yes of course I needed a hub plugged in for the keyboard lol .Port 4 on the hub seems to have most success with booting an image, and the keyboard in to one of the other ports.
Another possible thing to try is the keyboard, I was initially trying to use a tablet type mini keyboard and this would not work so I tried a full size one and it worked first time.
Good luck
Happy Joggling