amahi.org "home digital assistant" dlna etc

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
trevordavies

amahi.org "home digital assistant" dlna etc

Post by trevordavies »

Anyone tried www.amahi.org?

looks interesting - seems to be initially developed requiring Fedora - but there's a debian/ubuntu setup:

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Ubuntu
Juggler

Re: amahi.org "home digital assistant" dlna etc

Post by Juggler »

Amahi looks really interesting. After seeing your post and checking it out I l have registered. Not so keen on having to do that but as it is some sort of a cloud based solution, it may be necessary, but then again it may be possible to link it up to your own private cloud.

Anyway, got an email today stating that there is a stable beta release based on Ubuntu 12.04 :

http://blog.amahi.org/2012/05/24/your-f ... or-ubuntu/

This is why trevordavies posted the message here (I think?).

Would this run on top of Buzz's Ubuntu base 12.04 or does it need a desktop ? From the text in the link above it states "It’s based on the 32-bit (desktop or server) version of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (long-term support)." If the server version of Ubuntu is without a desktop then I guess so. Showing my limited Linux experience here...
trevordavies

Post by trevordavies »

no just weird co-incidence. I'm losing track of things in drawers and boxes around the house, I was searching for a good home inventory database eg "where is 2m usb cable" and an amahi app turned up. I tried the beta on linux mint - took about 2hrs to install! then I just got ruby errors from it so got rid of it.. I might try again now tho.

edit: to install i put "Debian" on the end of the text in /etc/issue - script does a grep for it - since Mint is essentially debian i thought
andyf

Post by andyf »

I'm running Amahi on an HP microserver. It stores my main iTunes library, which I also access via squeeze OS on my two jogglers and a couple of Subsonic client apps too. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm happy to tinker around with Linux, but there are times where you just want to install something and for it to work without any real fiddling about. Amahi did that for me.