Network name for Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Ben

Network name for Joggler

Post by Ben »

How do I name my Joggler so that I can refer to it by a name e.g. Joggler so that I can access it by name and not IP address? Is that a Linux property? Example - if I am at a Windows command line using 'telnet joggler' - rather than "telnet 192.168.1.2" or whatever. I'm sure I could add that to the Windows HOSTS file but I'm sure there's a more elegant solution to make that name available to any device on the LAN.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Ben
mrw

Re: Network name for Joggler

Post by mrw »

Ben wrote:Any ideas?
I can, and have, set the name in my router's "Home Network" settings. Alternatively you could try editing '/etc/hostname' on the Joggler. I don't know whether that does, in fact, work with the Joggler firmware.
Ben

Post by Ben »

My Joggler reports itself as 'atom' in response to TAIL HOSTNAME in /etc. And atom is also quoted in the telnet login dialog - so I guess that must be it. But I can't 'telnet atom' from the Win7 netbook. I wonder if that means a local router capability limitation/dependency? My router is a Netgear DGND3700, by the way.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

have a local dns server with your machines in it or if you have samba etc setup, you may be able to resolve it over wins.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks BuZz ... feels like something the router should be able to help (re)solve. :-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

yeh. certainly my old one could do that (at least from the console). it had a built in dns cache/forwarder but allowed to add some local address/names.