Enabling Telnet access post May update..

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
declanh

Post by declanh »

I had telnet access working ages ago pre update (so long ago I cant even remember how i did it).
Now post update i have lost radio and DLNA play from NAS (connect and play) and want to install PNPIII
however despite all attempts I cant get telnet access working again

when i telnet to the ip address of the joggler from a win7 laptop is says "could not open connection"

I have tried 3 different usb sticks

16gb
8 gb
and finallly 512mb

last 2 were formated fat32

i have tried both methods from http://technoinsight.wordpress.com/2010 ... 2-joggler/
i have tried wireless nw access to joggler
and finally ethernet (even with static IP)

and still i cant get it to work

any clues as to what I might be doing wrong or what to try?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

The latest update has telnet enabled by default, so it should be very straightforward. Username is 'root', no password.

USB installers do nothing, at least for the time being, on the new software.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
declanh

Re: Enabling Telnet access post May update..

Post by declanh »

thanks for the reply. however I cant get telnet access with or without usb stick
i am telneting to the correct ip address (192.168.x.y) and the joggler does appear to have internet access (weather etc work).
I dont think its firewall related either..
...scratches head
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

in the info i got, there was two different updates. an old and a newer one. I hope they didn't lock down the newer one (by accident if they did im sure).
samk

Post by samk »

My joggler was update last night - now I can't telnet into it anymore either
"Connecting To 192.168.0.116 ... Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: connect failed"
Don't seem to be able to install anything via USB either
I can still Telnet into my other non-upgraded joggler OK
Keen to solve this as I mainly use the joggler as a squeezebox controller and the app was missing after the upgrade
Any advice?
declanh

Post by declanh »

samk wrote:My joggler was update last night - now I can't telnet into it anymore either
"Connecting To 192.168.0.116 ... Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: connect failed"
Don't seem to be able to install anything via USB either
I can still Telnet into my other non-upgraded joggler OK
Keen to solve this as I mainly use the joggler as a squeezebox controller and the app was missing after the upgrade
Any advice?
Crap... so its not just me :(
paulsbiz

Post by paulsbiz »

I have the same problem with no Telnet access after the latest update.
The system shows -
Software: 30291 (Oct 1 2011:15:32:26)
Firmware: 8964 (boardrev: 2)
It still boots Ubuntu from a USB stick so perhaps we can use the Ubuntu terminal app to re-enable Telnet.
Paul
Positivity

Post by Positivity »

I also have the same problem since the update - no telnet access. The Joggler is definitely on the network as I can ping the IP address, but attempting a telnet connection gives me "Connection closed by remote host" followed by "Network error: connection refused".

My Joggler is useless to me until I can sort this out. I use it as a Squeeze Server and Squeeze Player - without telnet I cannot even reset the audio to USB out, so even if I connect to the Squeeze Server on my PC the audio only goes out the Joggler speaker rather than through the HiFi.

I know I could reflash it backto the original OS, but I would prefer to get it working on the OpenPeak OS as it is hopefully more future proof. Although I suspect that the only way out of this is to reload the OS.
Ben

Post by Ben »

I think that my Joggler lost telnet immediately after the update. But now, for some reason - it does give telnet access. I recall reading on here somewhere that there was a second over-the-air update that happened already, after the non-O2 Openpeak software update. Maybe it was with that update that telnet was re-enabled. Or perhaps it just needed to be rebooted, who knows ...

Telnet is working now, thankfully.
declanh

Post by declanh »

Ive rebooted loads of times and still no luck. Hope an update does come soon or im stuck with a clock.
Need radio and music streaming back or this is pretty useless to me.
mrw

Post by mrw »

I've just noticed the same thing.

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... t=60#p9670

I think you may need to put a 'bootable' system onto a USB stick, and then set up ssh or telnet on the Joggler's flash onto a more permanent basis.
samk

Post by samk »

Few questions:
- Has anybody managed to get Telnet access with F/W 8964 and S/W 30291?
- Is there another May update with a different F/W and S/W version (and does Telnet work reliably with that)?
- mrw: can you provide (or point to) instructions which explain how to do what you suggest
mrw

Post by mrw »

samk wrote:Few questions:
Yes.
- Is there another May update with a different F/W and S/W version (and does Telnet work reliably with that)?
I got update 8964/30291 on 10 May. There may have been others, I'm not aware.
- mrw: can you provide (or point to) instructions which explain how to do what you suggest
In detail: no.

"Post" script:
Take a look at this thread: http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=120
Back to original post:

I am using "Ubuntu Server for Joggler" generously provided here: http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/jogglerserver (many thanks, roobarb!) to provide me with a bootable USB stick. That gives me a command line interface from which I can mount and access the Joggler's internal flash disk partitions. I made sure that I removed the "reflash" elements from the server boot scripts first (see "Details"), because I don't want to reflash the old system.

Pro tem I have installed the PnP "boot hacks" boot up script to start telnet regardless of any nvram settings. I've attached that, it should be placed as "/etc/init.d/boot.d/S99boot.hacks". It should probably be made executable (chmod +x S99boot.hacks), but that might not matter. You'll have to find which of the two partitions is the currently active one.

But this is only pro tem. I really, really, really do not like the idea of having a "passwordless" login. (I wonder if O2 had that thought, too !). The login account is "root", no password required with this current update.

This does require some knowledge (not much) of the linux command line, which I am not seeking to give.

In due course I shall change the system to give me a secure login. I might even manage to make a nice 'settings app' that turns the telnet on and off at will. That's really what's wanted. (Minor snag: I don't have any knowledge of programming Flash).

I would not be surprised if, when all has quietened down, someone in this community were to make something that automated the process. Personally I wouldn't put in any effort along those lines until I knew that the update cycle had come to a close and we have the 'really final' firmware.
Attachments
S99boot.hacks.txt
(996 Bytes) Downloaded 361 times
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

samk wrote:Few questions:
Erm, that's the F/W, S/W that's running on my 4 updated Jogglers and telnet works out of the box on all of them!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

mrw wrote:I would not be surprised if, when all has quietened down, someone in this community were to make something that automated the process.
Hi. ;)
mrw wrote: I wouldn't put in any effort along those lines until I knew that the update cycle had come to a close and we have the 'really final' firmware.
Absolutely. I'm not even thinking about doing this until the dust has settled on the updates. That does mean people may get a bit stuck in the meantime, but we pretty much knew that would be the case when the new software was announced.

Tad irritating that there seem to be 30291 versions with telnet enabled and 30291 versions without. From my point of view, telnet should be disabled by default and SSH offered as an on/off option in the Settings. That's not going to happen, though. ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
mrw

Post by mrw »

offbeatdave wrote:Erm, that's the F/W, S/W that's running on my 4 updated Jogglers and telnet works out of the box on all of them!
Yup, as it did on mine, for a day. But, trust me, the relevant nvram setting is being reset 'behind my back'. I've seen it on both my pre and post upgrade Joggler, since either the evening of 10th May or the morning of 11th May. At this stage I can only put it down to an action taken by the regular 'call home to O2' process.

Ha ! What do you know ? I have just got back in after a bevy or two, and yes, reset to 'net.login=NO' again !

Ho hum.
samk

Post by samk »

OK, thanks for the info, looking fwd to the permanent fix
mrw

Post by mrw »

roobarb! wrote:Hi. ;)
Hi . ;)
Tad irritating that there seem to be 30291 versions with telnet enabled and 30291 versions without.
Well, I do think that it's not the firmware upgrade, but a hitherto unimplemented feature to turn off the nvram setting. I say that because I am getting the issue with my 'not upgraded' Joggler, as well as my upgraded Joggler. And I'm sure it didn't happen a few days ago.
From my point of view, telnet should be disabled by default and SSH offered as an on/off option in the Settings.
Neverthless it may be useful to have a 'settings' app that simply turns telnet on/off at will. Minimal intervention to the existing system.
It would allow occasional tinkerers to get access on an ad-hoc basis, as and when required. E.g. to download and install, or upgrade, something.
That's not going to happen, though. ;)
Sounds like a challenge ! I shan't rush, but...
slezor

Post by slezor »

Same problem here guys, 30291 and no telnet access. There are more of us...
boozdog

Post by boozdog »

Mine auto updated this morning to openpeak and no telnet access :-(