Enabling Telnet access post May update..

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
sixedup

Re: Enabling Telnet access post May update..

Post by sixedup »

Mine updated yesterday. No telnet access. Very annoying.
marctwo

Post by marctwo »

Same here 'Connection refused' :(
Mickjb

Post by Mickjb »

Can't Enable Telnet also on firmware 8964 and software 39291 post update. Does anyone think this will be overcome as my Joggler is pretty much useless to me now. i dont mind not being able to text anymore and if o2 have given up on it why make it harder to mod ?
xAPPO

Post by xAPPO »

Well mine updated and I had Telnet access but stupidly I rebooted the device and now I have no Telnet access ... arrgghhh
mrw

Post by mrw »

xAPPO wrote:Well mine updated and I had Telnet access but stupidly I rebooted the device and now I have no Telnet access ... arrgghhh
You have my sympathy. :(
I've just seen my 2nd Joggler update itself, I remembered to enable a remote login 'permanently' before I did anything else...
xAPPO

Post by xAPPO »

I think there may be two updates involved.. I could be wrong but I thought after it rebooted the application icons were different (yet again) . Also when I rebooted it I had an O2 startup screen then what appeared to be a second auto reboot followed by the OpenPeak startup .. and Telnet became disabled.

mrw - if you could point me to how to enable remote login 'permanently' that would be useful. Just reflashed the device.

K
mrw

Post by mrw »

xAPPO wrote:I think there may be two updates involved
I agree. It was definitely a 'two stage' process. I saw something along the lines you describe.
I just let it run. After the second stage, it did start up with telnet enabled, and I logged in at that point and made the telnet 'permanent', for the time being.
mrw - if you could point me to how to enable remote login 'permanently' that would be useful. Just reflashed the device.
Well, for my 'pro tem' solution just look a few posts back: http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... =565#p9713
I don't know how you 'un-reflash' your device, though. Perhaps O2 will upgrade it again !

This time I was able to install the S99boot.hacks script directly, after that successful telnet login, without having to resort to sticking in a stick.

I don't like the idea of permanently enabling a passwordless remote login, so this is just temporary until the dust has settled. There's little risk behind my router's firewall, but...
gegs

Post by gegs »

No telnet for me also. I'm totally gutted; without it I can't install PnP mkIII (unless some clever clogs can point me to a solution ;) ).
trippydt

Post by trippydt »

Mickjb wrote:Can't Enable Telnet also on firmware 8964 and software 39291 post update. Does anyone think this will be overcome as my Joggler is pretty much useless to me now. i dont mind not being able to text anymore and if o2 have given up on it why make it harder to mod ?
Hello All, My first post here (other one just vanished half way through typing!!).

Joggler updated. I don't play games or need to know what the weather is doing as I look out of the window for that.

I telnet'ed to the Joggler, run some selected code from this wonderful forum.. It was iPlayer & Dropbox code. Nothing happened of GUI. I restarted Joggler and now telnet is locked out... :o

Thoughts anyone please.

Kind regards
Dave
monkums

Post by monkums »

The Telnet issue seems linked to rebooting the device after the update.

My second Joggler had updated to the new firmware at some point yesterday so I checked to see if Telnet is active and it is! Having what seemed like a partial update on my first Joggler (missing icons, etc) I tried to update it via the settings menu and it did an update and I now have all the icons but it doesn't have Telnet enabled. The only thing I did different was to reboot it.

There is a very minor difference in the firware versions

Joggler 1 (no Telnet)
FW: 8964 (Boardrev2)
SW: 30291 (Oct 1 2011 15:23:26)

Joggler 2 (with Telnet)
FW: 8964 (Boardrev2) [ID=24600]
SW: 30291 (Oct 1 2011 15:23:26)
gegs

Post by gegs »

The forum is becoming increasingly irrelevant to users who wish to extend the capabilities of the stock OS but now have no telnet / SSH.

@BuZz - do you think there's a realistic prospect of getting the O2 devs to push a revised update with telnet enabled? It seems that they are directing users to our forum for advice and support but they have (probably inadvertently) "hobbled" the device with the new update. The ability to run USB installers would also be greatly appreciated.

There used to be a method of reflashing the device on the old forum using Ubuntu. I did it a couple of times and it involved writing 4 separate partitions to the Joggler's flash. It was a bit fiddly and not as elegant as the USB reflash tool but it may be the only way re-enable telnet if the O2 devs can't (or won't) help. Of course, some knowledgeable soul with telnet / SSH would have to create image partitions of their device and post instructions on how to write them to the Joggler's flash using one of the linux distros.

Would dwl99's method of reimaging from Ubuntu, mentioned in the thread below, still work?
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... t=15&p=153
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

gegs wrote:The forum is becoming increasingly irrelevant to users who wish to extend the capabilities of the stock OS
Unfortunately that happened along time ago :-(
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

From my experiences, I not sure what the problem was with the original update that they made available to start with.

I used it from the off on three Jogglers and then added my PnP III install to it.

All the new stock OS apps work from the off (including the GCal app), all telnet in fine, all connect to my wireless network, all are running PnP III beautifully (well, the iPlayer needed some help from spoyser!).

As I say, the original update is working fine for me, several times over.
Last edited by offbeatdave on Wed May 16, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

gegs wrote:Would dwl99's method of reimaging from Ubuntu, mentioned in the thread below, still work?
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... t=15&p=153
Roobarb's reflasher still works though doesn't it?!
mrw

Post by mrw »

offbeatdave wrote:All the new stock OS apps work from the off (including the GMail app)
You have a GMail app ? I didn't get that on either of mine. That would be really useful to me.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

mrw wrote:
offbeatdave wrote:All the new stock OS apps work from the off (including the GMail app)
You have a GMail app ? I didn't get that on either of mine. That would be really useful to me.
Oh poo. Sorry, that was a typo whilst I was having a conversation with someone. It should read GCal. Sorry to raise hopes! Have edited previous post.
andy

Post by andy »

Hi, I am new to this forum and have just had the same issue. The joggler self updated on the 12th / 13th May to the new software. I checked out this forum to look at making the unit usable again, as I could no longer stream music from the PC. Using this excellent forum I managed telnet into the device to try and install software ( first time using telnet) exited the joggler by rebooting and now No access using Telnet!!!!! and to top it off no software loaded to improve. I would apreciate any help to re-enable telnet so that the now expensive clock can be given life again.

Kind Regards

Andy
Positivity

Post by Positivity »

I am sure I am being really stupid here - but I have tried to follow mrw's instructions for re-enabling telnet and get as far as booting ubuntu from a USB stick and a login screen, but then I can't login - no keyboard!

Am I supposed to connect a USB keyboard to proceed? With only one USB port on the Joggler, this leaves me with a problem. I do have a powered USB hub, but I cannot get the Joggler to boot from the USB stick when it is in the hub - the hub worked fine before in powering a harddrive and a USB-DAC.

Also if I do solve the keyboard input problem, I suspect that I will get stuck on:
"This does require some knowledge (not much) of the linux command line, which I am not seeking to give."
Is anyone able to provide the additional detail for non-unix people?

I have a horrible suspicion that I am in the hands of O2 now - they need to re-enable telnet in a further update. Does anyone have an O2 contact I could pester? - looking on their website, there is only a Joggler Update FAQ and links back to here.
gegs

Post by gegs »

offbeatdave wrote:Roobarb's reflasher still works though doesn't it?!
Does it? If so that would be great, but I thought that when USB installers were broken it would also break the reflashing tool. I hope I was wrong in that assumption.

If it still works it would be great to downgrade; I'll give it a go tonight or tomorrow. I'll search the forum for the first update that apparently still has telnet.

There's a lot of confusing stuff appearing about the most recent update and it would be great to have our options spelled out in a single sticky thread. I'm reading contradictory things all over the forum just now.

I've got my second Joggler disconnected at the moment (still on O2) and hope to install PnP mkIII at the weekend. If I can't customise the kitchen Joggler I'll swap it for the one connected to my hi-fi and run the new USB Squeezeplay on it.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Positivity wrote:I have a horrible suspicion that I am in the hands of O2 now - they need to re-enable telnet in a further update. Does anyone have an O2 contact I could pester? - looking on their website, there is only a Joggler Update FAQ and links back to here.
There is a "contact us" link at the bottom of the page; try that. I'll be doing the same.