PnP III v3.50: Enhance the standard OS - DOWNLOAD HERE!

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
rjdavies47

Re: PnP III for pre/post OpenPeak update Jogglers - Get it h

Post by rjdavies47 »

I installed PnP III and all was well for a short time (although I struggled to get an internet connection). When running iPlayer I could not find a way of getting back to the home screen so I pulled the power on the joggler. That was a big mistake as now all I get is the O2 logo.

I have started to build a reflashing USB stick as described here http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/jo ... sh#content but as I am a Unix novice I cannot work out how to copy files to the jog-boot directory reflash on my USB stick. Can someone hold my hand please. I need help on how to access the file system on the stick. I am using a Mac computer but I can also run Windows XP Pro on it.

The O2 "downgrade" was very disappointing, so much so that I thought I would have a go with PnP III. I must say that it is streets ahead of the O2 release and I hope that with your help I will be able to get going again.

Richard
rjdavies47

Post by rjdavies47 »

rjdavies47 wrote:I installed PnP III and all was well for a short time (although I struggled to get an internet connection). When running iPlayer I could not find a way of getting back to the home screen so I pulled the power on the joggler. That was a big mistake as now all I get is the O2 logo.

I have started to build a reflashing USB stick as described here http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/jo ... sh#content but as I am a Unix novice I cannot work out how to copy files to the jog-boot directory reflash on my USB stick. Can someone hold my hand please. I need help on how to access the file system on the stick. I am using a Mac computer but I can also run Windows XP Pro on it.

The O2 "downgrade" was very disappointing, so much so that I thought I would have a go with PnP III. I must say that it is streets ahead of the O2 release and I hope that with your help I will be able to get going again.

Richard
I have managed to complete the reflash but on restarting I am stuck on the O2 screen!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Try flashing again in the first instance. Sometimes it doesn't work first time (even though it says it has). Also, remember it will take longer than usual on a first boot.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
deongorle

Post by deongorle »

Hi Upbeatdave

Once again a HUUGGEEE thank you for all your stunning work that hasnt just kept our Jogglers alive but seriously upgraded them as well :D :D

Ive been trying to edit the pnp3o2.shx using WordPad to edit out a few things i dont want installing (Stars for example) and no matter whether i # out the lines or completely delete them when i try to install it on the joggler it just keeps going into a reboot loop. I was wondering if i should be using something else to edit the .shx file or is wordpad OK? (just cant figure what im doing wrong).....Any help would be hugley appreciated.

Cheers
furtive

Post by furtive »

I've got the same network issue after installing on an O2 downgraded Joggler. Have tried rebooting the Joggler, rebooting my router, a fixed IP address, wired and wireless. Nothing seems to allow me to connect :(
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

deongorle wrote:Hi Upbeatdave

Once again a HUUGGEEE thank you for all your stunning work that hasnt just kept our Jogglers alive but seriously upgraded them as well :D :D

Ive been trying to edit the pnp3o2.shx using WordPad to edit out a few things i dont want installing (Stars for example) and no matter whether i # out the lines or completely delete them when i try to install it on the joggler it just keeps going into a reboot loop. I was wondering if i should be using something else to edit the .shx file or is wordpad OK? (just cant figure what im doing wrong).....Any help would be hugley appreciated.

Cheers
I just use Notepad++

Is it rebooting after the install has finished? The actual install on the o2 software takes 12-15 minutes (some report 20) and does appear to reboot a few times before finally arriving at the 'desktop'.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

furtive wrote:I've got the same network issue after installing on an O2 downgraded Joggler. Have tried rebooting the Joggler, rebooting my router, a fixed IP address, wired and wireless. Nothing seems to allow me to connect :(
Again, really sorry to be no help here as mine are still working fine. Doesn't help I know though...
rjdavies47

Post by rjdavies47 »

furtive wrote:I've got the same network issue after installing on an O2 downgraded Joggler. Have tried rebooting the Joggler, rebooting my router, a fixed IP address, wired and wireless. Nothing seems to allow me to connect :(
When I reflashed mine to PnP III I could not get a WiFi connection either but I kept trying and it eventually came to life. Based on what I had read in the forum I specified an IP address using the Advanced button. Unfortunately mine locked up in iPlayer and I have not been able to use it since so I cannot look at the setting for you.

Richard
rebelrebelzs

Post by rebelrebelzs »

Hi

I'm a newbie here ( bet there's loads of us just lately :D )

I've had a Joggler for a couple of years and at one time remember following some hacking
tips to load a "Jogtools" app that in turn let me dowload a few extra games, BBC Live Player (not iPlayer)
etc etc

Have always been happy with it and then the new OpenPeak update landed which took away
my most used app - The Pure Lounge but strangley left behind the aforementioned "extras"
that I had (BBC Live, Jogtools etc.)

I stumbled across this site earlier today and have downloaded PnP III for the "post OpenPeak"
system and followed the install instructions through Telnet

I seemes to get a lot of messages suggesting that folders couldn't be accessed or created
but eventually the update finished after a few mins.

After the re-boot I seemed to have a similar set of apps to the OpenPeak update but some
extras and some with different icons, however some of the key new apps that I was looking
forward to aren't there, namely Lounge Radio and iPlayer.

The network settings were shot but I've configured them manually to get access up and
running again.

Does anybody know why my install didn't succeed correctly? Is it likely due to the
"extras" that I had from way back? Jog Tools, BBC Live etc.?

Does this mean that I didn't have a "clean" OpenPeak system to start with and hence
shouldn't have tried PnP? Is there anyway to get my system back to either the originak
O2 system or a clean OpenPeak install in order that I can try PnP again?

Any help appreciated. (Sorry for the essay)
deongorle

Post by deongorle »

Hi UpbeatDave

Thanks ever so much for your reply, i'll give Notepad++ a go later (thanks for the heads up). Once i edited the .shx file with wordpad, and tried installing it on my Joggler, it just kept rebooting after about 10-20 second or so. Ive left it over a hour and tried again and again but no joy. If i 'dont' edit the file it installs just fine (usual around 12 - 15 min or so). I'll give Notepad++ a go later, perhaps wordpad saves the file incorrectly or changes the format or something (just a thought). I'll try doing exactly the same just with Notepad++ instead and let you know what happens. By the way, i still dont know why but my volume slider in the lounge radio works just perfectly.....always has.....right since your first release of PnP MKIII :P :P
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

You've got to make sure that the pnp3op.sh (for post update) or pnp3o2.shx (for pre-update) (note the difference) has the correct suffix and that your editor of choice doesn't change it.

The volume control only disappeared on the post-updated Jogglers so i'm guessing you're on a pre-update one at the moment.
Last edited by offbeatdave on Sat May 12, 2012 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
rebelrebelzs

Post by rebelrebelzs »

rebelrebelzs wrote:Hi

I'm a newbie here ( bet there's loads of us just lately :D )

I've had a Joggler for a couple of years and at one time remember following some hacking
tips to load a "Jogtools" app that in turn let me dowload a few extra games, BBC Live Player (not iPlayer)
etc etc

Have always been happy with it and then the new OpenPeak update landed which took away
my most used app - The Pure Lounge but strangley left behind the aforementioned "extras"
that I had (BBC Live, Jogtools etc.)

I stumbled across this site earlier today and have downloaded PnP III for the "post OpenPeak"
system and followed the install instructions through Telnet

I seemes to get a lot of messages suggesting that folders couldn't be accessed or created
but eventually the update finished after a few mins.

After the re-boot I seemed to have a similar set of apps to the OpenPeak update but some
extras and some with different icons, however some of the key new apps that I was looking
forward to aren't there, namely Lounge Radio and iPlayer.

The network settings were shot but I've configured them manually to get access up and
running again.

Does anybody know why my install didn't succeed correctly? Is it likely due to the
"extras" that I had from way back? Jog Tools, BBC Live etc.?

Does this mean that I didn't have a "clean" OpenPeak system to start with and hence
shouldn't have tried PnP? Is there anyway to get my system back to either the originak
O2 system or a clean OpenPeak install in order that I can try PnP again?

Any help appreciated. (Sorry for the essay)

Sorted! - a bit of perseverance and the birdslikewires site helped :D

Other than iPlayer which doesn't seem to work - everything else is perfect

Thanks so much for this new lease of life for my Joggler :)
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Possible fix for some Date and Time issues noted in first post. It worked on one of mine which displayed a problem for the first time (or it was just coincidence!)
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

To fix the iPlayer, try running the fix in the first post.
Jimstar Deluxe

Post by Jimstar Deluxe »

offbeatdave wrote:Oh, for the last year or more I've been changing the IP to a fixed one (Network Settings->Advanced->Use DHCP (no)->IP Address so that is probably why I've never really had a problem on any version of the software (Stock o2, Openpeak, PnP, PnP mk II, PnP III)

BTW, the first of my PnP Mk II Jogglers converted to the OpenPeak firmware overnight.

Hey offbeatdave,

first of all I wanna thank you for the great job you did regarding the PnP III. It's really nice.

As some of us wrote, that we have or had a problem with the wireless connection, perhaps you could add e few lines in your tutorial.
It's a DHPC issue and I have been able to fix it by choosing a manual IP-adress and I also had to add the Gateway and Subnet
Now it works really fine.

I also had a problem with the date and time, which I could fix by taking a nother time server (time.windows.com) and a reboot.
Propably you and some other geniuses in this forum know that this is included in taking a manual IP-adress, but I think there are also some guys out there like me, who don't know.

I'm looking forward to see your next masterstroke..

Jimstar Deluxe
rebelrebelzs

Post by rebelrebelzs »

offbeatdave wrote:To fix the iPlayer, try running the fix in the first post.
Hi Dave - Thanks for responding to this too

I've tried the fix in the first post which seemed to work ok, however
I get the same problem as before.

It's not about jerky playback it's about no playback. When I launch
iPlayer I can see the large channel icons but pressing them does nothing.

I've tried the menus at the top (Podcasts/Categories etc.) and when
pressed they do bring up lists of TV Shows / Radio Shows / Podcasts
etc. but I can't seem to get any further than seeing the list. Wherever
I press to select a programme, nothing happens at all.

I'm running PnP III which was installed over after a Re-Flash that included
a fresh original O2 image (i.e. pre-OpenPeak recent update)

Any ideas?

Thanks again

rebelrebelzs
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

rebelrebelzs wrote:
offbeatdave wrote:To fix the iPlayer, try running the fix in the first post.
It's not about jerky playback it's about no playback. When I launch
iPlayer I can see the large channel icons but pressing them does nothing.

I've tried the menus at the top (Podcasts/Categories etc.) and when
pressed they do bring up lists of TV Shows / Radio Shows / Podcasts
etc. but I can't seem to get any further than seeing the list. Wherever
I press to select a programme, nothing happens at all.
I've jiggered up the /media/iPlayer/iPlayer.cgi file and it's permissions I think so looking at the easiest way to fix this at the moment...

I can get it running by going loading the file up and resaving it (without any changes) and it works so I'm almost there...
January_King

Post by January_King »

Thanks for looking into this - I have exactly the same situation as rebelrebelzs. Great job (although I am slightly concerned as to the effects of the o2 'upgrade' which has yet to hit my Joggler)
JK
offbeatdave

FIX FOR ALL iPlayer ISSUES

Post by offbeatdave »

FIX FOR ALL iPlayer ISSUES (non-responsive channels, jerky playback fixed in release v3.027 onwards)
Telnet in (make sure iPlayer is closed first) and type in

Code: Select all

cd /media
rm -r iPlayer/*
wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/77534245/iPlayer.tar
tar xvf iPlayer.tar
rm -r iPlayer.tar
cd /media/iPlayer
chmod +x iPlayer.cgi
Last edited by offbeatdave on Sat May 12, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebelrebelzs

Post by rebelrebelzs »

offbeatdave wrote:FIX FOR ALL iPlayer ISSUES (non-responsive channels, jerky playback fixed in release v3.027 onwards)
Telnet in (make sure iPlayer is closed first) and type in

Code: Select all

cd /media
rm -r iPlayer/*
wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/77534245/iPlayer.tar
tar xvf iPlayer.tar
rm -r iPlayer.tar
cd /media/iPlayer
chmod +x iPlayer.cgi
You are awesome Dave - That's done the trick :D

Thanks so much

rebelrebelzs