PnP III v3.50: Enhance the standard OS - DOWNLOAD HERE!

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
craig_1234

Re: PnP III v3.50: Enhance the standard OS - DOWNLOAD HERE!

Post by craig_1234 »

I have 4 Jogglers running PNP III. They have been working fine for just under 2 years with the occasional restart required.

I noticed a problem last week when the Squeezebox app disappeared off all 4 jogglers. It was strange as all of the other apps remained. So I re-flashed the device and all was fine until 10-4-2017. All 4 jogglers then rebooted overnight and reverted back to the default apps.

keynet is correct. The joggler does indeed “phone home” to look for updates every day.

I did some research and the reason we are getting these problems now is because on 27-9-2016 OpenPeak inc. filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy in New Jersey. https://businessbankruptcies.com/cases/openpeak-inc

They got rid of most of their staff in December 2016. However, over the past few weeks during bankruptcy proceedings all online services have been removed (or expired) and they are in the process of selling the patents they currently hold. The websites http://www.openpeak.net and http://www.openpeak.com have also disappeared.

Ideally, all references to these OpenPeak URL’s need to be removed or we need to find some way to spoof the server.

The app store is linked to: http://op01.openpeak.net/openpeak/ from where it used to pull the xml app list, apps and icons from.

As BuZz mentioned a while ago the update mechanism links to:

https://services.openpeak.net/dms/devic ... MACADDRESS

So based on this information we’re going to start seeing a lot of problems with the Joggler and other OpenPeak devices over the next few weeks :cry:
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Ahh so do we not just need to stop them phoning home ?
Squeezeplay OS also should be fine or Xubuntu booting straight to Squeezeplay ?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Happy Joggling
mb1

Post by mb1 »

hawsey wrote:Very :-)
@keynet thanks for sharing your fixes / work on this .

Any chance of persuading you to do a new build Dave ,Including this stuff ?
I would agree with this... and donate as well. I did a full reflash/PnP install and it's been fine for about a week. However, tonight it must have "phoned home" and left me with a lack of functionality again.

Thank you if you can do a new version. I love my trusty old kitchen Joggler!
jkn

Post by jkn »

mb1 wrote:
hawsey wrote:Very :-)
@keynet thanks for sharing your fixes / work on this .

Any chance of persuading you to do a new build Dave ,Including this stuff ?
I would agree with this... and donate as well. I did a full reflash/PnP install and it's been fine for about a week. However, tonight it must have "phoned home" and left me with a lack of functionality again.

Thank you if you can do a new version. I love my trusty old kitchen Joggler!
It's pretty trivial to change a script file on the current PNP III to delete/rename the appropriate file after it has installed PNP III, and before the final reboot. This is how I made the change to mine. I can post the file and 'non-techy' instructions if that would be of use. It's a pretty crude measure but seems to be working for me...

I'd still like to work out what process is using the XML file though, and how often...

Cheers
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I've blocked the Openpeak URL on my router. Simply deleting the relevant XML file did not work for me. This method seems to have stopped the icons from disappearing for now.
jkn

Post by jkn »

mb1 wrote:I've blocked the Openpeak URL on my router. Simply deleting the relevant XML file did not work for me. This method seems to have stopped the icons from disappearing for now.
Hmm, that's interesting. So far just renaming the XML has worked for me (touch wood)

I guess there is mileage in changing the contents of the file, to an 'invalid' domain, for instance. I'd still like to know what process is using this and whether we can kill that instead.

It does seem strange that (presumably) the now-invalid response from the 'appshop' domain is causing these icons to be deleted. I would have thought that would have been risky behaviour in a fully-functioning system - leaves you open to the server being down causing customer problems...

Jon N
keynet

Post by keynet »

FYI I initially tried just deleting the contents of the xml file (as the simplest fix) but that didn't work for me.
I needed to delete the whole file.
Camay1066

Post by Camay1066 »

Hi, I too have a couple of wall mounted Jogglers running PNP III, both have lost the squeezeplayer app.

jnk could you post the non techie instructions please

Tar
jkn

Post by jkn »

Camay1066 wrote:Hi, I too have a couple of wall mounted Jogglers running PNP III, both have lost the squeezeplayer app.

Tar
OK, here goes.
  1. first, download the attached file. Save it somewhere on your PC, but RENAME it to "pnp3op.sh". Don't try to open it under windows. (*)
  2. Then you need to follow the original PnP III installation instructions (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=555), as far as step 2 of "Stage 2 - Install PnP III". That is, you should have unzipped and copied the original PnP III download files onto a pendrive.
  3. put this pendrive into your PC and open it in your File Explorer. Reminder: ensure that there is no 'remove_for_new_install' file at the pendrive root
  4. navigate to the 'files' directory of the pendrive. You should see amongst many other files, one called "pnp3op.sh"
  5. replace this file with the one that you downloaded from this site. Make sure that you have renamed it!
  6. eject the pendrive and follow the rest of the PnP III installation instructions
That should be it. All this tweaked file does is add a command near the end to rename the troublesome file, before rebooting the Joggler after the installation is complete

Code: Select all

# (jkn) remove appshop.xml to prevent phone home
mv /openpeak/gui/appshop.xml /openpeak/gui/appshop.xml.orig
I hope this works for you - let me know how you get on.

Jon N

(*) I had to rename the attached file to allow it to be opened. I'm not sure what suffixes are allowed.
Attachments
pnp3op-sh.txt
RENAME ME to pnp3op.sh - tweaked to rename appshop.xml
(29.79 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
keynet

Re: CRON

Post by keynet »

I noticed some discussion about cron (scheduled tasks) a while back, so I built Debian's cron and crontab for the Joggler OS as they appear to be MIA. I've not done anything meaningful with these yet, but attached them in case anyone else wants to do something with them.

I'm thinking about periodic restarts of Tango, apps and periodic checks that Squeezeplay / LMS are running.
Atm I'm auto-logging in by ssh from my server to reboot the Joggler weekly, but that's a good use for a cron job too...

Just testing - so for a manual install use WinSCP, you can put the attached 2 files in /usr/sbin, add execute permission to each for user, group, others, create /var/spool/cron directory, add /usr/sbin/cron to starthacks() in /etc/init.d/s99boot.hacks, and killall cron to stophacks().

Cron seems to run fine. You need an EDITOR environment variable to be able to edit schedules using crontab -e, you can add export EDITOR=vi to /etc/profile or just type that manually. When I get fed up with vi I might build nano for the Joggler!

As a point of interest, I see a much more capable busybox executable busybox.new built with a whole lot of useful utils (including cron) sitting unused in /bin. Does anyone know if the PNP will run with this as the default ? Would make life a little easier!
Attachments
joggler_cron.zip
Joggler cron files
(42.62 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
jkn

Re: CRON

Post by jkn »

keynet wrote:I noticed some discussion about cron (scheduled tasks) a while back, so I built Debian's cron and crontab for the Joggler OS as they appear to be MIA. I've not done anything meaningful with these yet, but attached them in case anyone else wants to do something with them.

I'm thinking about periodic restarts of Tango, apps and periodic checks that Squeezeplay / LMS are running.
Atm I'm auto-logging in by ssh from my server to reboot the Joggler weekly, but that's a good use for a cron job too...

Just testing - so for a manual install use WinSCP, you can put the attached 2 files in /usr/sbin, add execute permission to each for user, group, others, create /var/spool/cron directory, add /usr/sbin/cron to starthacks() in /etc/init.d/s99boot.hacks, and killall cron to stophacks().

Cron seems to run fine. You need an EDITOR environment variable to be able to edit schedules using crontab -e, you can add export EDITOR=vi to /etc/profile or just type that manually. When I get fed up with vi I might build nano for the Joggler!
all good fun! I wondered about cron but like you could see no such instance - so I was then trying to work out how the periodic attempt to phone home was done. I think I saw one of the /etc/init.d scripts with a big sleep loop, but I am not sure that I was looking at the right thing.

I don't particularly have a use case to add cron but good work anyway...
As a point of interest, I see a much more capable busybox executable busybox.new built with a whole lot of useful utils (including cron) sitting unused in /bin. Does anyone know if the PNP will run with this as the default ? Would make life a little easier!
Oh, well spotted! yes, that looks much more capable, Would definitely be an experiment to try, I guess if you have a joggler with a (serial?) console connected...

Jon N
keynet

Post by keynet »

Sadly no serial console.
Switching to it involves a moderate risk of making the Joggler unbootable, so I'm not minded to try on a whim! So I'm asking about the history of it, as newer/more complete would make sense. I see elsewhere in the forum that the 1 or 2 utilities from it have been tried, mounting windows shares. Suggestions of issues, but could just be syntax.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1440&start=140
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=592

I'd be happy to build the latest against the joggler libs if that helped, but there are prebuilt binaries out there that may be OK. Still < 1M in size !
Camay1066

Post by Camay1066 »

Hi all done, working now.

thanks for the info.

jkn wrote:
Camay1066 wrote:Hi, I too have a couple of wall mounted Jogglers running PNP III, both have lost the squeezeplayer app.

Tar
OK, here goes.
  1. first, download the attached file. Save it somewhere on your PC, but RENAME it to "pnp3op.sh". Don't try to open it under windows. (*)
  2. Then you need to follow the original PnP III installation instructions (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=555), as far as step 2 of "Stage 2 - Install PnP III". That is, you should have unzipped and copied the original PnP III download files onto a pendrive.
  3. put this pendrive into your PC and open it in your File Explorer. Reminder: ensure that there is no 'remove_for_new_install' file at the pendrive root
  4. navigate to the 'files' directory of the pendrive. You should see amongst many other files, one called "pnp3op.sh"
  5. replace this file with the one that you downloaded from this site. Make sure that you have renamed it!
  6. eject the pendrive and follow the rest of the PnP III installation instructions
That should be it. All this tweaked file does is add a command near the end to rename the troublesome file, before rebooting the Joggler after the installation is complete

Code: Select all

# (jkn) remove appshop.xml to prevent phone home
mv /openpeak/gui/appshop.xml /openpeak/gui/appshop.xml.orig
I hope this works for you - let me know how you get on.

Jon N

(*) I had to rename the attached file to allow it to be opened. I'm not sure what suffixes are allowed.
jkn

Post by jkn »

Camay1066 wrote:Hi all done, working now.

thanks for the info.
Glad it was useful to you

Jon N
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Thanks for everyone's contributions enabling people to keep using PnP III. I may even summon up the enthusiasm to incorporate the update fix into PnP III (thanks to jkn et al for sorting this for folks).

It may have been covered earlier, but I have monitored the one PnP III Joggler I still run (in addition to the 2 x sqpOS, 2 x XUbuntu Kodi Network Photoframes and a XUbuntu PiHole Server) and it attempts to contact applog.openpeak.net 11 times at the beginning of every hour. I blocked it after the first 'disappearing icon incident' via my PiHole server, so that maybe explains why I haven't had to 'fix' the PnP III Joggler subsequently.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
rmgvs

Post by rmgvs »

Will there be any need to update the LMS (PnP III v3.50 uses LMS 7.9.0)? Maybe someone can explain how to install whichever version of LMS by (I think) using putty and some command lines?

(And here I assume that the old script that updated the LMS doesn't work anymore (checked it, didn't work))
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

offbeatdave wrote:Thanks for everyone's contributions enabling people to keep using PnP III. I may even summon up the enthusiasm to incorporate the update fix into PnP III (thanks to jkn et al for sorting this for folks).

It may have been covered earlier, but I have monitored the one PnP III Joggler I still run (in addition to the 2 x sqpOS, 2 x XUbuntu Kodi Network Photoframes and a XUbuntu PiHole Server) and it attempts to contact applog.openpeak.net 11 times at the beginning of every hour. I blocked it after the first 'disappearing icon incident' via my PiHole server, so that maybe explains why I haven't had to 'fix' the PnP III Joggler subsequently.
Dave it would be great if you did decide to do an update :-)
It is the one update that keeps the bog standard Joggler going and is a great job you did .
I'm sure many Jogglers would otherwise be in the bin if it wasn't for all you hard work on this .
Some folks just want the finger friendly clock radio that the stock Os gives .
If you did decide to do it would you consider putting the BBC radio streams right on Pure please :-) and any other stuff that you think fit
Thanks

Happy Joggling
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

I'll pencil it in for the end of May!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Good man :-)

Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Trying to get the Amazon Alexa GUI on the browser for PNP III and i get this
Did this browser come with the Joggler update or was it made by someone 3rd party style .
Would there be any other way to get this to work ?
It works on Android on the Joggler .
CheersImage

Happy Joggling