PnP III v3.50: Enhance the standard OS - DOWNLOAD HERE!

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
offbeatdave

PnP III v3.50: Enhance the standard OS - DOWNLOAD HERE!

Post by offbeatdave »

PnP III
The final version (v3.50 - April 2015) can be downloaded from here.
(Edit 11th Feb 2017 - Try https://mega.nz/#!lhZWUIQC!po8KGloXBLV4 ... FFsP3xU2W0 )
To find out about the current version, read the changelog here.
If you are a new Joggler user, check out a simple Quickstart Guide here.

CONTENTS
*That's all folks! (April 2015)
*What is PnP III?
*Final version (v3.50 - updated April 2015)
*Screenshots
*Installation instructions
*What is installed
*Useful threads
*Update old versions of PnP III to allow addition of Accuweather locations via the Webserver

That's all folks!
:( :cry: I'M OFFICIALLY CALLING TIME ON PnP III DEVELOPMENT :( :cry:
Regular visitors will probably have noticed a lack of updates to PnP III from April 2014 onwards. Since then, the BBC iPlayer app, Accuweather (now resurrected!) and Google Maps have all ceased working and I simply don't have the skills to get them going again (although 'The Lounge' links can quite easily be updated if anyone has the urge to play with the jogContent.xml file). I've also moved to Android devices and Roku/NowTV boxes for most of the things I previously 'Jogglered' for. You won't be surprised to know that there isn't a 'stock'/unhacked phone, tablet or set top box in the house! :D That said, we're still running 4 Jogglers and the OpenFrame2 in this house, but predominantly run the amazing sqpOS on them. Of course, I have been tinkering with sqpOS - see the sqpOS v3 thread for my most recent tinker streamlining Logitech Media Server installation! ;)

I need to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who actually 'created' PnP III (and PnP Mk II before it) - I just packaged it for the end-user! Obviously big contributors include roobarb, buzz, spoyser, pete, hawsey, gegs, dwl99, jkn, jon, castalla, jp_hero and, of course, gforums (and pretty much everyone on the top 50 forum posters). To be honest though, everyone on the forum has contributed in some way with little fixes, tweaks, requests, questions (mainly from ilovemyjoggler :lol: ) and by using it in such huge numbers.

It has been an amazing learning experience which started with PMJ (remember that?) before moving to Jogtools and then to the original gforums PnP and beyond. Without it I wouldn't have been able to do anything I've subsequently done on Android, NAS drives or Roku/NowTV boxes. I've also found that sleep is so overrated/unnecessary!

THANK YOU for all your support with this incredible project - I leave you (in terms of PnP III development) with final version 3.50!

What is PnP III?
Basically, it's a quick and easy way to greatly enhance the functionality and usefulness of your Joggler whilst retaining the ease of use of the original operating system!
PnP III works with pre and post May 2012 update Jogglers. It builds upon the wonderful work of gforums original PnP and my own PnP Mk II and aims to increase the functionality and usefulness of these great little gadgets with relative ease. PnP Mk II began as a little project to enable me to keep my family of Jogglers configured with what I wanted. After a couple of requests from users of this forum, the project took on a life of it's own! It is really just a collection of the works of other far cleverer folk than I. There weren't any changes or updates after April 2014, but a final release (v3.50) has been created to reflect the fact that some apps stopped working (due to external support beign removed) or needed fixing.

Current version
The final version of PnP III (v3.50 - April 2015) can be downloaded from here. (Edit 11th Feb 2017 - Try https://mega.nz/#!lhZWUIQC!po8KGloXBLV4 ... FFsP3xU2W0 )
Read the detailed changelog here.

Screenshots - mostly June 2013
Note: PnP III applied after roobarb's clean OpenPeak reflash. Most games are not on the original (blue) o2 software. Dilbert now removed from PnP III as no longer supported/functional. BBC iPlayer app and Google Maps app also removed as no longer supported/functional

Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image
ImageImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image

Instructions
NOTE: ALL SETTINGS WILL BE LOST.
It goes without saying that I take no responsibility if anything untoward should happen to your Joggler, although fortunately there are plenty of us here who are willing to help in the unlikely event that it does!

Stage 1 - make sure the Joggler is running the latest operating system.
NOTE: ALL SETTINGS WILL BE LOST
Use Roobarb's re-worked OpenPeak image and reflash tool. Find it at Roobarb's birdslikewires site. The advantage of this is a cleaner image and the ability to install automatically without telnet.

Stage 2 - Install PnP III
NOTE: ALL SETTINGS WILL BE LOST
Works with Jogglers reflashed with Roobarb's cleaner post-update OpenPeak OS v30300 (recommended) or Jogglers running the original o2 OS

1) Make sure your Joggler is 'clean'.
Use the reflasher from birdslikewires.co.uk to achieve this with your preferred version.
2) Unzip the downloaded archive and copy all the files to the root a FAT32 formatted USB stick .
Make sure any hidden files are copied.
Make sure there is no 'remove_for_new_install' file on the root USB stick
3) With the Joggler turned off, plug the USB stick into your clean Joggler, switch it on and leave it to do its thing!
This method does not require network or internet connection.
This can take 10-20 minutes depending on the USB stick.
It may 'reboot' a few times but will stay on the 'OpenPeak' or 'o2' boot screen, looking for all the world as if nothing is happening. Flashing USB sticks however tell otherwise.
4) The Joggler will eventually reboot into the OS with all the new apps and icons
5) You will need to remove the 'remove_for_new_install' file from the USB stick after use to use it again.

Once installation is complete:
SSH, SCP, Telnet enabled(username: joggler password: joggler)
Simple Webserver available via a browser at <YOUR_JOGGLER'S_IP_ADDRESS>
Logitech Media Server (LMS) available via a browser at <YOUR_JOGGLER'S_IP_ADDRESS:9000>

NOTE: IF YOUR JOGGLER IS TEMPERAMENTAL AND DOESN'T RESPOND WELL (I.E. FAILS) IF REBOOTED TOO OFTEN, USE THE 'MANUAL' METHOD INVOLVING TELNET BELOW:

1) Make sure your Joggler is clean (See roobarb's reflashing instructions - linked above).

2) Unzip the downloaded archive and copy all the files to a formatted USB stick .
Make sure any hidden files are copied.
Make sure there is no 'remove_for_new_install' file on the root USB stick
3) Make sure your joggler is connected to your network.
Although internet access is not required to install PnP III,
you need network access to be able to Telnet in!
4) Plug the PnP III USB stick into an updated Joggler (with it powered on).
5) Telnet into the Joggler via a computer. The username is root and there is no password.
(open <your Joggler's IP address>)
4) Type in:
cd /mnt/files <press Enter>
./pnp3op.sh <press Enter>
6) Loads of stuff will scroll up the Telnet window whilst the mods are installed.
7) The Joggler should eventually reboot into the OS with all the new apps and icons
8) If it is present, remove the 'remove_for_new_install' file from the USB stick after use.

Once installation is complete:
SSH, SCP (username: joggler password: joggler) will be enabled in addition to Telnet (username: root)
Simple Webserver available via a browser at <YOUR_JOGGLER'S_IP_ADDRESS>
Logitech Media Server available via a browser at <YOUR_JOGGLER'S_IP_ADDRESS:9000>

What is installed?
(Please also read the changelog linked above)
*Opera Mobile 10.1 browser
*Outlook.com (Hotmail), GMail, Yahoo Mail and Twitter shortcuts (via Opera to the mobile versions of the sites)
*The Lounge Radio (allowing customisation of stations (via telnet etc) - Station url list needs updating - some won't play
*Logitech Media Server installed with BBC iPlayer radio add-ons installed as well as the RadioFeeds plugin
*The ability to make Network Shares available using the Webserver web interface and access them via LMS.
*Squeezeplay (please consider donating at birdslikewires.co.uk if you find this useful)
*BBC iPlayer allowing live and on-demand TV and radio viewing over your network (watch out for your ISP usage limits!) - No longer functions
*YouTube (customisable with a little fiddling/file editing)
*UPnP (Connect and Play) - Play Shared Media with no further tweaking
*Google Calendar
*RSS News reader (customisable with a little fiddling/file editing)
*AccuWeather app - Locations can be added via the Webserver!
*Timer and Stopwatch apps
*Calculator
*Facebook app
*Flickr app
*Dilbert cartoon - No longer functions
*Several simple flash games including Angry Birds
*Google Maps - No longer functions
*GTalk (just has GTalk messaging functionality)
*Music, Video and Photos apps (can play/display from USB stick)
*Memos
*Horoscopes
*SWF Launcher including Reboot and Shutdown scripts to save pulling the plug
*One-touch install (and update) of Adblocker via SWF Launcher
*Alarm app
*Screen Off one-touch icon
*Mount Writable USB shortcut
*PDF Reader
*Squeezelite and required libs for manual launching/tinkering
*On original o2 Jogglers only: Sudoku,
*SSH, SCP and Telnet are also enabled

By modifying the install files on a USB installer, you could customise the install to suit your own needs.

Useful related threads and posts
*Add locations to Accuweather app - more info here and here.
*Radiofeeds plugin for Logitech Media Server - find out more here and here.
*Restore Squeezeplay power button default functionality (makes it Turn Off Squeezeplay rather than Exit) - instructions here.
*Using WinSCP to easily access and edit files - quick guide here.
*Running Squeezelite information is here.
*Run your own SWF apps via the instructions here.
*More information on the adblocking process - check out this post.
*How to kill rogue processes (e.g. Opera arrow on desktop) - check out this thread.
*Info on mounting cifs/samba shares can be found here, here and here.
*Original thread for the iPlayer app can be found here.
*Original thread for the YouTube app can be found here.
*Dedicated Squeezeplay thread for non-PnP III issues can be found here.
*Update 'busybox' commands on the Joggler via the instructions here.
*Want to start again? Read the reflashing thread here (for the original o2 interface) or here (for the debranded OpenPeak version).

Add Accuweather locations via the Webserver
This update means that you can just type your Joggler's IP address into a web browser on the same network, select the option to 'Add Accuweather Locations' and follow the instructions! (Installed automatically on PnP v3.50d and later)

UPDATE ACCUWEATHER ON ANY PREVIOUS VERSION OF PnP III (pre-v3.50d)

Putty/Telnet method
Telnet/Putty in to the Joggler and copy and paste the following:

Code: Select all

cd /tmp
wget -O accuweatherfix.tar http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/download/file.php?id=819 
tar xvf accuweatherfix.tar
mv control.txt /media/gforums/webserver/control.cgi
mv accuweather.txt /media/gforums/webserver/cgi/accuweather.cgi
rm accuweatherfix.tar
If you need the starting weatherFile.txt in /media/app-cfg/common then you'll also need:

Code: Select all

cd /tmp
wget -O weatherFile.txt http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/download/file.php?id=821
mv weatherFile.txt /media/app-cfg/common
Alternative method via WinSCP
Download https://www.dropbox.com/s/25z0kawoxdtgr ... l.cgi?dl=0
Use WinSCP to copy it into /media/gforums/webserver
Check the permissions are rwxrwxrwx (Right click it and select 'Properties' to change them if necessary).
Download https://www.dropbox.com/s/quvxmvk9kbawc ... r.cgi?dl=0
Use WinSCP to copy it into /media/gforums/webserver.cgi
Check the permissions are rwxrwxrwx (Right click it and select 'Properties' to change them if necessary).
You might need /media/app-cfg/common/weatherFile.txt too if one doesn't exist already.
Download https://www.dropbox.com/s/ar2cizq1xjjh5 ... e.txt?dl=0

Post updated 14th October 2015, 21:20
Last edited by offbeatdave on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 295 times in total.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
jp_hero

Re: PnP III - Progress so far for pre and post update Joggle

Post by jp_hero »

Looking forward to this. Hope someone figures out the volume buttons on the radio player.
I'm from http://www.coolsmartphone.com For all your Android news and reviews.
Also if Twitter is your thing you can follow me http://twitter.com/#!/jp_hero
MojoDave

Post by MojoDave »

Thanks offbeatdave - Your PNP MKII breathed new life into my kitchen and bedroom jogglers! No updates for either one yet (Kent UK) but would be great to know that they can work in the same way if/when they do update.
Cheltenhamboy

Post by Cheltenhamboy »

MojoDave wrote:Thanks offbeatdave - Your PNP MKII breathed new life into my kitchen and bedroom jogglers! No updates for either one yet (Kent UK) but would be great to know that they can work in the same way if/when they do update.
Hear, Hear!!
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

Suggestion if I may?

Update 7th May 2012: Having a clear out of Logitech Media Server files (hopefully unnecessary ones) as this takes up loads of space!

The @server@ component might be an "option" to install ... I have Squeezecentre on a Synology NAS... and the Squeezebox you gave us works brilliantly with it...

I really don't need the server part... may be this might be the same for others? NO disrespect to "The Creator".. as we love this hard work...
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

ordessa wrote:Suggestion if I may?

The @server@ component might be an "option" to install ... I have Squeezecentre on a Synology NAS... and the Squeezebox you gave us works brilliantly with it...

I really don't need the server part... may be this might be the same for others? NO disrespect to "The Creator".. as we love this hard work...
This can be achieved easily in the forthcoming PnP III by opening up pnp3op.sh or pnp3o2.shx (depending on post or pre update) in the 'files' directory of the USB installer and #'ing out (or deleting) the lines under the #INSTALL LOGITECH MEDIA SERVER TO WEBSERVER section before installing.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

.Yeah Pnp mk3 can't come quick enough Dave all the work put in is much appreciated. Thx.
You could leave the games out with instructions on how to add them maybee if that would help for memory.
Or two versions .pnp3-1 gamer. And pnp3-2 utils.
More work for your good self though ...
Happy Joggling
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

Thanks offbeatdave, as I already installed squeezeplay on the new sys. hope it won't conflict with the one in PnP III when it being released.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

cszhy wrote:Thanks offbeatdave, as I already installed squeezeplay on the new sys. hope it won't conflict with the one in PnP III when it being released.
Should be OK as I'm using the update-able version from birdslikewires.co.uk
Rob2404

Post by Rob2404 »

Hi, thanks for your reply on the other forum. i will wait for your updated PNp so i can install it on the updated joggler software. if you want to free space so bbc iplayer and youtube run better i would get rid of most of the games that the new software has and i would lose usa today and just have sky news. look forward to installing your software.

regards
Rob
Rob2404

Post by Rob2404 »

also look forward to seeing the different screensaver clocks ive been reading about. bbc?? :)
pete

Post by pete »

offbeatdave,

When can we try/test the new version?
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Will be zipping it up and uploading it this evening, work permitting!
Jase

Post by Jase »

My untouched O2 Joggler updated itself earlier today, what can I say other than it seems pretty poor even compared to the standard O2 software even the clock is poor. Will I be able to install the PnP III even though I haven't installed any other software before.

Thanks
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Jase wrote:My untouched O2 Joggler updated itself earlier today, what can I say other than it seems pretty poor even compared to the standard O2 software even the clock is poor. Will I be able to install the PnP III even though I haven't installed any other software before.

Thanks
It will be pretty easy but just be aware that at this early stage, some things may not work quite as expected!
MojoDave

Post by MojoDave »

My Kitchen PnPII updated this evening after it hung on a Youtube video and I had to reboot it. Amazing how an 'upgrade' can turn it into essentially just a clock for me!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

It is what one would call a "Downgrade Upgrade " I think
:-)
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Looking forward to giving it a try offbeatdave.

Playing around with old O2 OS I was able to get the radio stations all to play again; only now they sound like they are streaming at double speed; cartoon like.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Re: PnP III for pre/post OpenPeak update Jogglers - Get it h

Post by offbeatdave »

8th May 2012 21:41BST - Now available for download! See the details in the edited first post. I hope everything makes sense. Please remember that it's a little rough around the edges!
offbeatdave

Re: PnP III for pre/post OpenPeak update Jogglers - Get it h

Post by offbeatdave »

I'm wondering if the flaky wireless on the OpenPeak update is causing my iPlayer and YouTube woes. Will have to investigate, although it may have to wait a day or two as this is in danger of taking over my evenings again! :shock:

It's good fun though and satisfying when I suss stuff out and learn something new! :D