PnP III v3.50: Enhance the standard OS - DOWNLOAD HERE!

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
rph30

Re: PnP III: Enhance the standard OS - Download & details he

Post by rph30 »

Just reinvigorated my Joggler - a belated thanks to everyone who has got us here.
A question about the Lounge radio app - it now works really well and once again plays at normal speed :-) But, some of the streams don't work quite right yet - is there a centralised .xml file of working stations or is everyone editing their own?
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

I guess people are fiddling with the feeds file themselves. I only use a couple of them personally.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:Hello. Having previously successfully reflashed my joggler, I have now also successfully updated to the new openpeak firmware. Hurrah. While on a roll thought I would finally go for PnP but it didn't work. I've done something wrong.... I have downloaded and unzipped the file to my pc. Then instructions say copy to a usb - which I did. Should I have written it to a usb with the win32diskimager rather than copy? Also, I don't know what 'telnet' means. Please don't tell me I have to hook it to my PC (I really can't). Thanks in advance.
The files should just be copied from the zip to a USB stick. If you have updated then you WILL need to telnet in from a PC. In Windows XP (and Vista/7 if telnet is installed) just press <Windows Key> + <R> to bring up a run window and type in telnet. If it is installed this will bring up the telnet window. Then just type

Code: Select all

open xxx.xxx.x.x
replacing the x's with your Joggler's IP address. You can then follow the instructions from the opening post.
3) Telnet into the Joggler via a computer. The username is root and there is no password.
(open <your Joggler's IP address>)
4) Type in:

cd /mnt/files <press Enter>
./pnp3op.sh <press Enter>

5) Loads of stuff will scroll up the Telnet window whilst the mods are installed. The Joggler screen will probably go blank.
6) The Joggler should eventually reboot into the OpenPeak OS with all the new apps and icons.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Offbeatdave - thanks for your help but I fear I have reached the end of my capability. I will keep an eye on the forum and when things change so that no pc connection is involved I'll give it a go. As it is I don't think I even have a usb lead to hook it up to my pc. I'll watch this space. Cheers anyway :)
gegs

Post by gegs »

I'd never used telnet or SSH until I bought my Joggler. It may sound complicated to the beginner but it is really simple. You don't need a cable to attach the Joggler to the computer if you have a wireless connection.

If you are using Windows, you can telnet in using a free program called PuTTY http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/. You just add the IP address of your Joggler which you can get from the 'Network' settings on the Joggler itself and the user name root (as offbeatdave says above, there is no password to gain access in the new OS). Just make sure you choose the Telnet button rather than SSH when you try to connect. There are lots of PuTTY tutorials on Youtube.

You will then get what looks like an old DOS window. Now insert the USB stick with the new PnPIII into the Joggler and type (or copy and paste from this forum) the commands below:

cd /mnt/files

- Now hit the enter key. This will change directory to /mnt/files which is where the PnP script is on the USB stick. Now copy and paste the command below:

./pnp3op.sh

- Now hit the Enter key. This will run the PnPIII installation script from the stick and everything will now happen in much the same fashion as with a USB installer installation. Just wait until the Joggler reboots and then remove the stick. You really should give it a go. I reflashed two Jogglers last week doing this and it is very, very easy.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:Offbeatdave - thanks for your help but I fear I have reached the end of my capability. I will keep an eye on the forum and when things change so that no pc connection is involved I'll give it a go. As it is I don't think I even have a usb lead to hook it up to my pc. I'll watch this space. Cheers anyway :)
Go on...try it! You know you want to!
;)
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Gegs and offbeatdave, what a pair you are - you have both put a sunny smile on my face! I'll keep you posted on my bravery (coz honestly it does sound like rocket science) but I can't tell you how grateful I am for your step by step guides and encouragement. :D
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

rph30 wrote:Just reinvigorated my Joggler - a belated thanks to everyone who has got us here.
A question about the Lounge radio app - it now works really well and once again plays at normal speed :-) But, some of the streams don't work quite right yet - is there a centralised .xml file of working stations or is everyone editing their own?
Alternatively, you could let RadioFeeds manage your list! :)
Should have all the commercial stations from your area that you're ever likely to need.
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=590
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for PnP III - UK and Irish radio stations for your PnP III Joggler.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for SqueezePlay OS - UK and Irish radio stations for your SqueezePlay OS Joggler.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

vinnielo wrote:
rph30 wrote:Just reinvigorated my Joggler - a belated thanks to everyone who has got us here.
Alternatively, you could let RadioFeeds manage your list! :)
Should have all the commercial stations from your area that you're ever likely to need.
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=590
Ah yes, I remember this now. Will add the thread to the useful threads bit in the opening post.

EDIT: Oh, this links to the Squeezeplay plugin. Do the instructions at http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/joggler/feedaaaaaaaaaaa.asp still work for the Lounge Radio app?
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

offbeatdave wrote: EDIT: Oh, this links to the Squeezeplay plugin. Do the instructions at http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/joggler/feedaaaaaaaaaaa.asp still work for the Lounge Radio app?
I had a play with it since upgrading to PNPIII.
For some reason, the lists are not affected after applying the changes.
I can't explain why this is, so perhaps it's best if I discontinue that service and encourage everyone to move to the SqueezePlay version.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for PnP III - UK and Irish radio stations for your PnP III Joggler.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for SqueezePlay OS - UK and Irish radio stations for your SqueezePlay OS Joggler.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Hello. I tried to install this but, surprise, I am stuck. I do manage to telnet and enter my jogger ip address. Then it says 'atom login' and I entered 'root' then there's a bit of blurb which looks hopeful and I add the first line of the command given but it comes back with:
-sh: cd: can't cd to mnt/files'

Not sure what I've done wrong. The usb has a total of 12 files from the PnPIII folder. Any ideas please?
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:Hello. I tried to install this but, surprise, I am stuck. I do manage to telnet and enter my jogger ip address. Then it says 'atom login' and I entered 'root' then there's a bit of blurb which looks hopeful and I add the first line of the command given but it comes back with:
-sh: cd: can't cd to mnt/files'

Not sure what I've done wrong. The usb has a total of 12 files from the PnPIII folder. Any ideas please?
Make sure you type

cd /mnt/files
The slash before mnt is important. Also make sure the USB stick has been in for a moment or two so the Joggler has time to recognise it.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

After 20 revisions of PnP III in 45 days, the good news is that there has been no new revision for almost a week now! Yipee!
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

[Make sure you type

cd /mnt/files
The slash before mnt is important. Also make sure the USB stick has been in for a moment or two so the Joggler has time to recognise it.[/quote]

Hi Offbeatdave. I entered the line exactly as is and had the usb in for a while. Could it be a simple as not having all the relevent files on the usb (12 files)? Will try a different usb too. Thanks for trying though. :(
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:[Make sure you type

cd /mnt/files
The slash before mnt is important. Also make sure the USB stick has been in for a moment or two so the Joggler has time to recognise it.
Hi Offbeatdave. I entered the line exactly as is and had the usb in for a while. Could it be a simple as not having all the relevent files on the usb (12 files)? Will try a different usb too. Thanks for trying though. :([/quote]

All the files seem to be there. What happens if you type

ls /mnt
at the telnet prompt with the USB stick in the Joggler? It is also worth trying a different USB stick.
chelseagirl

Post by chelseagirl »

Finally got round to updating to the new PnPIII after abandoning my Joggler after the update rendered it useless - apart from having to reformat my USB stick between reflashing and the PnP update it's all working fantastically well - thanks again for the hard work Dave!
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Well waddya know. It worked! The problem seemed to be with the usb, I tried a different stick and it worked with no problems (a teeny tiny lego usb at that!). Thank you soooo so much.

I haven't had a chance to fiddle with it but dived straight into the iplayer as that is what I am most interested in. It plays live tv (is it supposed to be a bit jerky and pixelated or is that just my joggler) but how do you get it to playback stuff from their archive. I click on the iplayer button (in iplayer) and I get a list of channels but when I press on them they grey out but nothing happens. Was I supposed to do something else? I really am sorry that I have been bombarding the forum - and mostly you! but the end is nigh. Thanks again!
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Iplayer continued:
Bizarrely the screen goes black during play (after less than 20 seconds) while the audio continues. Is there a setting somewhere that I should be looking at?

Have rebooted. The blacking out seems to be gone (whew). Still a little bit jerky, but better than it was at first. Now I need a second joggler for my bedroom... :)

Brilliant. Can't wait to fiddle over the weekend!

Thanks for all your help!! :D
gegs

Post by gegs »

@ilovemyjoggler -
Congratulations! I told you it wasn't rocket science. :D
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:Well waddya know. It worked! The problem seemed to be with the usb, I tried a different stick and it worked with no problems (a teeny tiny lego usb at that!). Thank you soooo so much.

I haven't had a chance to fiddle with it but dived straight into the iplayer as that is what I am most interested in. It plays live tv (is it supposed to be a bit jerky and pixelated or is that just my joggler) but how do you get it to playback stuff from their archive. I click on the iplayer button (in iplayer) and I get a list of channels but when I press on them they grey out but nothing happens. Was I supposed to do something else? I really am sorry that I have been bombarding the forum - and mostly you! but the end is nigh. Thanks again!
The jerky playback is probably to do with connection speed. I can run 2 or 3 Jogglers without it being affected on a 6.5Meg connection, but they start to suffer if other stuff starts using the network. If it continues to be an issue let me know and I'll try and point you in the way of a possible fix (slightly lower quality but less likely to be jerky).

Regarding the iPlayer bit, you have to type in what you are looking for by pressing the search bar. Pressing the channels just removes them from the search.