PnP III v3.50: Enhance the standard OS - DOWNLOAD HERE!

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
mb1

Re: PnP III v3.50: Enhance the standard OS - DOWNLOAD HERE!

Post by mb1 »

Just to let you all know that since I blocked the domain openpeak.net on my router about a month ago, no icons have disappeared and the Joggler has behaved itself beautifully.
craig_1234

Post by craig_1234 »

hawsey wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 10:03 am Trying to get the Amazon Alexa GUI on the browser for PNP III and i get this
Did this browser come with the Joggler update or was it made by someone 3rd party style .
Would there be any other way to get this to work ?
It works on Android on the Joggler .
CheersImage

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

You may be able to get round this problem by changing the "user agent" in Opera to spoof another browser/operating system. In the settings on opera, you can change the user agent to Android. I think you can also set a custom string via opera:config in the browser.

I had the same issue years ago on another website and solved the problem by switching the user agent to Android. However, due to the current version of Opera being 7 years old the Alexa page may not work anyway.

Regarding updated web browsers for PNP III, I did compile the Midori browser however it requires that many missing dependencies I gave up (the orginal os is based on streamlined Ubuntu 8.04 after all) . Opera mini which replaced Opera Mobile requires the Java runtime environment.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks Craig , is a shame but it does work on Android so all is not lost .I tried as suggested but with the same outcome unfortunately .
PNP III is just so finger friendly and with Squeeze play built in as well it would be ideal :-)

Happy Joggling
richardf

Post by richardf »

I may safely recommend you to use Opera browser from my own experience. I am sure that all websites will work very stable because almost all of my colleagues at work use Opera as their main browser and don't have any problems with it. Check it yourself.
craig_1234

Re: CRON

Post by craig_1234 »

keynet wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:01 pm I noticed some discussion about cron (scheduled tasks) a while back, so I built Debian's cron and crontab for the Joggler OS as they appear to be MIA. I've not done anything meaningful with these yet, but attached them in case anyone else wants to do something with them.

I'm thinking about periodic restarts of Tango, apps and periodic checks that Squeezeplay / LMS are running.
Atm I'm auto-logging in by ssh from my server to reboot the Joggler weekly, but that's a good use for a cron job too...

Just testing - so for a manual install use WinSCP, you can put the attached 2 files in /usr/sbin, add execute permission to each for user, group, others, create /var/spool/cron directory, add /usr/sbin/cron to starthacks() in /etc/init.d/s99boot.hacks, and killall cron to stophacks().

Cron seems to run fine. You need an EDITOR environment variable to be able to edit schedules using crontab -e, you can add export EDITOR=vi to /etc/profile or just type that manually. When I get fed up with vi I might build nano for the Joggler!

As a point of interest, I see a much more capable busybox executable busybox.new built with a whole lot of useful utils (including cron) sitting unused in /bin. Does anyone know if the PNP will run with this as the default ? Would make life a little easier!

You can use crontab which is already contained within busybox.new:

/bin/busybox.new crontab

Process:

1. Make the crontab directory

Code: Select all

mkdir -p /var/spool/cron/crontabs
2. Start the cron daemon (in the background) on startup by adding the entry to starthacks()

cd /etc/init.d/boot.d
vi S99boot.hacks
Add:

./bin/busybox.new crond –b 
under starthacks()

Add:

killall crond 
under stophacks()

3. Add your config in crontab -e (/bin/busybox.new crontab -e) as normal. The default editor is vi
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I know we've been quite on here recently but a shout out for OffbeatDave , any chance of a final PNP III :-)

Happy Joggling
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Yes please to an update - I've just had to reflash after a forced power off!
craig_1234

Post by craig_1234 »

I have a modified version of PNP3 which I use for my jogglers, so I'll make a FINAL updated version of PNP3. (If thats okay with OffbeatDave)

I'll hopefully upload it here towards the end of this week (or in a new thread). Just got to finish off the script

Changes:

- Added "Call home" fix (by jkn)
- Added new Wi-Fi driver
- Fixed all BBC national, BBC local and commercial station streams in the lounge radio app (Removed redundant streams)
- Modified the "News" App to include new feeds
- Removed all broken apps i.e. YouTube, Google calendar and Facebook
- New apps installed for BBC news, Engadget, New Scientist, PC Mag and Slashdot (RSS Based)
- Added a new basic calendar
- Added shutdown, reboot and ad-block apps by default

I've also compiled a version of perl SSL which is required for the YouTube (audio only) plugin on Squeezeplay.

Unfortunately, most of the original pnp3 apps such as YouTube, bbc iplayer, google maps, google calendar etc. are never coming back. The applications are written in flash (actionscript 2.0) and the vast majority of flash api's have now been discontinued. YouTube is now HTML5 only

I also can't install a new Web browser due to countless missing dependencies.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

That would be great news , has anybody got any others to add :-) Dave ?

Is Radio 6 on there Craig ?

I tried and failed to get Amazon Alexa working on PNP III too , any ideas on that ?
Cheers

Happy Joggling
craig_1234

Post by craig_1234 »

Yes, I've updated all the BBC National and BBC Local streams via the lounge app and I did update Radio 6.

I've tried too, but I don't think we will get Amazon Alexa working on PNP3. I basically use my jogglers as Internet radios, alarm clocks and some feeds for the news. For everything else I use a rooted and flashed £30 Kindle Fire 7 tablet or my main android tablet (Nvidia Shield K1).
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Cheers thanks for looking we await the update with anticipation :-)

Happy Joggling
craig_1234

Post by craig_1234 »

New PNP3 update uploaded as specified

Ahead of schedule ;)

See: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2567

Also included a load of extra configuration
:D
craig_1234

Post by craig_1234 »

hawsey, this may be useful for Amazon Alexa.

Someone on the Squeezebox forums is working on a plugin for Logitech Media Server to control Squeezebox via Amazon Alexa.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... nt-thread)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Cheers , this is great , thanks for continuing the PNP story :-)

Happy Joggling
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Good job. Thanks for picking this up. Circumstances have reduced tinkering time so go for it folks.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Offbeatdave , your legacy lives :-)

Happy Joggling