PnP III v3.50: Enhance the standard OS - DOWNLOAD HERE!

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
offbeatdave

Re: PnP III v3.50: Enhance the standard OS - DOWNLOAD HERE!

Post by offbeatdave »

"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

PnP is great :-) Android kit kat works well too for Radio / alarm etc ( not video )

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Happy Joggling
tmohammad

Post by tmohammad »

offbeatdave wrote:Try https://mega.nz/#!lhZWUIQC!po8KGloXBLV4 ... FFsP3xU2W0 for PnP if required.
Thanks. Greatly appreciated
tmohammad

Post by tmohammad »

hawsey wrote:PnP is great :-) Android kit kat works well too for Radio / alarm etc ( not video )

Yes it does... a few issues... its too bright at night, the screen glows & the clock widget fonts are difficult to see when half asleep !

Is there a newer version of Android ?
pukington

Post by pukington »

Hello fellow Joggler users! Long time no see. I haven't made it back here for many a year but still use my joggler daily with this OS on it, still love it for Spotify.

So i've just started using Home Assistant that i run on a raspberrypi that i also use as a PiHole DNS ad-blocker, what a great thing it is too, network wide advert blocking and now home automation. So i've also installed homebridge and have integrated Siri with it, so i can tell siri to turn the living room lights on/off, tell me temperatures in the room and soon to be setting up my aircon/heating with voice/remote operation, this can also be adjusted via a browser pointing at the localhost.

So since i'm slowly moving toward full home automation, i'm going to mount my joggler in the living room wall, and more than likely buy some more as they are great for other rooms in the house.

My question being, since i'm so out of touch with this, how do i add an icon to the homescreen? For example, i just want to press a nice icon that launches a single windowed no thrills web browser that points at my home assistant so i can monitor/operate it. The HomeAssistant page alters for size/resolution of the browser and looks like this via my ipad http://imgur.com/lsefEre where i can also operate lights and check operations.

What a great tool this Joggler is, i can't believe o2 did such an appalling job of marketing and using them, i guess they were just ahead of their time.

Also i'm on 3.38, is it worth the update? It's been so long since i've messed with it i'm a bit scared of bricking it!
pete

Post by pete »

Welcome back to the forum pukington!

Here running Homeseer automation on initially RPi2 via Wheezy.

Converted the RPi2 just to running Jessie and a Z-Wave server pushing the Z-Wave transport over to a Pine64 2Gb RPi like mini computer but running Ubuntu 64 bit server on it.

The Pine64 2Gb machine runs faster than an RPi3 today and priced right at $27.00 USD The WLAN / Bluetooth card is a modular add to the device. It is bigger though than the RPi computer.

Originally here updated my RPi2 with a Z-Wave GPIO card and PiFace RTC shim and power it via POE today.
pine642Gb.jpg

I am still using Microsoft SAPI (cloudless) (and cloud Cortana) and Kinect and cloud Amazon Echo (and Alexa application) for automation via a Windows 10 console touchscreen which is a multitouch combo with the Kinect. The Jogglers here run embedded Wintel for automation touchscreens (well and android and linux now).

I have never played with Home Assistant before. I did test out running Home Genie / OpenHAB on the Joggler running Ubuntu to work just fine.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi All
a slightly off-the-wall observation question. I'm happily running PnP III as a kitchen appliance, playing radio, squeezeplayer to the NAS, and a few games for the granddaughter. Apart from having to occassionally re-flash everything when the Joggler flash gets corrupted, all seems fine. Hovever...

My wife tells we that on more than one occasion over the last year or so, "The joggler has updated itself" during the day. I have no reason to disbelieve this but I wonder what she could be referring to? Apparently some sort of message comes up and then maybe something else occurs.

I know that there are no more O2 updates happening. I have checked my squeezeplayer settings and I don't think that is looking for updates.

I have never seen this happening myself to give a better report, and it's not a big deal in that everything seems to be working. But I wonder if anyone has any idea what could be occuring?

Thanks & Regards
Jon N
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi All - it's quiet here at the moment but I have an interesting/wacky story...

My 'standard' Kitchen Joggler runs PNP III, and as been fine for a few years, except for occasionally need reflashing when corrupted (usually when power cycled too quickly). As mentioned in my post above, I have had 'domestic reports' of some weird update process, but that doesn't seem to have caused any problems.

More recently though, some of the icons went missing from the home screen - Radio, Internet, Squeezeplay etc. A reading in this forum suggested that this meant that 'the webserver had crashed' - i presume this refers to an webserver internal to the Joggler (I hadn't realised there was such a ting) - and that a reboot would solve it. This reboot didn't work in my case.

So I reflashed the Joggler, and all was well - until the icons disappeared again.

On the third attempt - I actually saw the icons disappear, as I was configuring the network settings! (I use wi-fi to my internet router). This made me think that there was a fault with the joggler, and
so I fished another out of the 'spares cupboard'.

I flashed this new Joggler with PnP yesterday and all was well - until tonight, when I see that the 'internet' icons have disappeared on this Joggler as well?!

This is puzzling me mightily. What reason could there be for two Jogglers to start showing this behaviour in swift succession?

Possibly related - the 'about' screen gives a version number of "30300 - Oct 1st 2011". This doesn't sound like PnP III to me, more the the last original O2 firmware. Is this a clue, or does PnP III not bother to change this?

Thanks for any thoughts.

jon N
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

The version number is correct I think - it's Roobarb's tweaked version. This happened the other day on the 1 out of 6 Jogglers I still have running PnP (daughter likes weather forecasts) Webserver was still working but some icons (the ones you listed) went AWOL, including Radio which is nothing to do with webserver. Just reinstated the mysteriously deleted lines in openpeak/gui/applications.xml (I think that's the location off the top of my head) and all was well again.
Last edited by offbeatdave on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hi Dave :-)
Also here viewtopic.php?t=2489
Something fishy going on , any ideas what could be causing this ?

Happy Joggling
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

No idea what caused this to happen! I haven't built in a 2-year self-destruct or anything!

I didn't reflash - just used WinSCP to reinstate the following lines in openpeak/gui/applications.xml

Code: Select all

<app id="launcher" static="1" ext="1" standalone="1" loc="/media/launcher/apps/SqueezePlay/" icon="icon.swf" app="/media/launcher/apps/SqueezePlay/trigger.cgi"/>
   <app id="eggtimer" static="1" ext="1" standalone="1" title="eggtimer" loc="/media/opt/eggtimer/" icon="eggtimer.png" app="/media/opt/eggtimer/eggtimer.cgi"/>
<app id="stopwatch" static="1" ext="1" standalone="1" title="stopwatch" loc="/media/opt/stopwatch/" icon="stopwatch.png" app="/media/opt/stopwatch/stopwatch.cgi"/>
<app id="o2_radio" title="o2_radio" loc="/openpeak/gui/apps/o2_radio/" icon="icon.swf" app="main.swf"/>
as these are what had disappeared (I don't have all the icons/apps on this Joggler so you may need to add more lines if more things are missing).

It hadn't actually wiped the applications.xml file - just some of the lines appeared to have been removed. Lines referring to apps located in ./apps/ were still there such as

<app static="1" id="op_alarmclock"  loc="./apps/op_alarmclock/"  icon="icon.swf" app="main.swf"	hideable="0"/>

and lines I'd commented out were still there such as

<!--  <app static="1" id="op_notepad"  loc="./apps/op_notepad/"  icon="icon.swf" app="main.swf"	hideable="0"/> -->
Odd.
DDFGT

Post by DDFGT »

Can someone post or upload an working applications.xml file? Especially I would like to restore the SWF Launchen icon. Thanks in advance.
DDFGT

Post by DDFGT »

I find myself that for some reason the content of the path ./media/appshop was deleted. If you restore this content the joggler incl. pnp III will work again like it should.
jkn

Post by jkn »

offbeatdave wrote:No idea what caused this to happen! I haven't built in a 2-year self-destruct or anything!

I didn't reflash - just used WinSCP to reinstate the following lines in openpeak/gui/applications.xml

<app id="launcher" static="1" ext="1" standalone="1" loc="/media/launcher/apps/SqueezePlay/" icon="icon.swf" app="/media/launcher/apps/SqueezePlay/trigger.cgi"/>
   <app id="eggtimer" static="1" ext="1" standalone="1" title="eggtimer" loc="/media/opt/eggtimer/" icon="eggtimer.png" app="/media/opt/eggtimer/eggtimer.cgi"/>
<app id="stopwatch" static="1" ext="1" standalone="1" title="stopwatch" loc="/media/opt/stopwatch/" icon="stopwatch.png" app="/media/opt/stopwatch/stopwatch.cgi"/>
<app id="o2_radio" title="o2_radio" loc="/openpeak/gui/apps/o2_radio/" icon="icon.swf" app="main.swf"/>
as these are what had disappeared (I don't have all the icons/apps on this Joggler so you may need to add more lines if more things are missing).

It hadn't actually wiped the applications.xml file - just some of the lines appeared to have been removed. Lines referring to apps located in ./apps/ were still there such as

<app static="1" id="op_alarmclock"  loc="./apps/op_alarmclock/"  icon="icon.swf" app="main.swf"	hideable="0"/>

and lines I'd commented out were still there such as

<!--  <app static="1" id="op_notepad"  loc="./apps/op_notepad/"  icon="icon.swf" app="main.swf"	hideable="0"/> -->
Odd.
Hi Dave

That's terrific information, thanks a lot. I restored some entries to openpeak/gui/applications.xml as you list above and have got at least some of my icons back, hurrah!

As DDFGT asks, could someone post an 'initial PnP III' version of applications.xml? I haven't got an 'SWF launcher' icon either, for instance.

I wonder why this is happening 'all of a sudden' and if anything can prevent it? I changed the mode of applications.xml to 755 to see if that makes a different.

Thanks a lot in any case for PnP III!

Cheers,
Jon N
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Same here. Went to check the weather and it's all back to default icons! Will try that code update.
keynet

Post by keynet »

Thanks for all the great work on PNP3. I've been lurking around this forum for a while, but now suffering the same loss of icons, I thought I'd pass on my fix, and other tweaks...

Loss of PNP3 icons
I was losing the PNP extra icons daily, the /media/appshop directory was being deleted.
Also the cookie that controls the list/order of icons was being reset /openpeak/gui/mainmenus/menuData.cookie
Putting these back and restarting Tango is all that's needed to restore.

My working assumption is that the Joggler is "calling home" daily for updates etc, but home is ... well dead.
The file /openpeak/gui/appshop.xml includes a call to http://op01.openpeak.net/openpeak
This site now does some useless advertising redirect.

After trying a few things, my solution is just to delete /openpeak/gui/appshop.xml
A week now without losing icons, even after several reboots, and I think this fix is simple and effective.

WIFI issues
I was finding Wifi connection pretty sketchy.
I replaced the firmware in /cfg/etc/wireless/rt2870.bin with a current version from
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... .git/tree/

This is now up to version 36, and seems to improve sensitivity and is completely reliable as far as I can tell
(version was updated 05/2016)

I picked up a hint that 802.11b can be significantly more sensitive at the margin
As I'm not using 2.4GHz Wifi for other purposes, I switched my router to 802.11b only mode
This is definitely more reliable at distance, and perfectly adequate for Joggling.
Alternately you might be able to set 802.11b in the Joggler by changing settings in
/etc/cfg/wireles/RT2870STA.dat,
setting WirelessMode=1
see https://www.cyberciti.biz/files/README_STA.txt for other config details

Hostname
I prefer things on my network to have a hostname, makes life hard having to use/remember IP addresses!
Presumably because there is no GUI to set the hostname, Openpeak didn't implement it in their scripts.
The default hostname is "atom" in /etc/hostname, I changed that to something more useful for me.

To get the Joggler to report a hostname via DHCP, just 3 small edits are required:
in /etc/boot.d/S12boot.network, add -h "${hostname}" to the relevant calls as follows:

udhcpc --now -i ${A_INF} -p/tmp/udhcpc.pid -x "0050C2" -y ${ETHER_MAC} -z "OpenPeak_OpenFrame_f2" -h "${hostname}" -s/etc/udhcpc.script
AND

udhcpc --background -i ${A_INF} -p/tmp/udhcpc.pid -x "0050C2" -y ${ETHER_MAC} -z "OpenPeak_OpenFrame_f2" -h "${hostname}" -s/etc/udhcpc.script
And under the start_network() function, add a line before dhcp_setup to create the hostname variable

hostname=$(hostname)
Auto-start Squeezeplay
I'm using the PNP Joggler as an alarm clock with Internet radio
If power fails overnight, it's handy to restart the Squeezeplayer automatically or no alarms!
LMS auto starts, so let's auto-start the squeezeplayer to after a short delay.

Add at the end of /etc/init.d/rcS,

sleep 60
/bin/sh /media/opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh 2>&1 >/dev/null &
XPL remote control for Squeezeplayer(s)
Yes, I know - the XPL protocol is as old as the hills - and a bit obsolete now.
But it's been running my house 20 times/sec for the last 10 years, so it's a Good Thing.
Misterhouse has a squeezeplay/XPL module - great!
LMS has is a functional XPL plugin, the Joggler however lacks is a XPL hub.
If you use XPL without without a hub, you can send but not receive
So squeezeplayer(s) report their actions, but you can't remote control or request status

I built Gerry Duprey's 100% reliable and lightweight xPL_Hub against the Joggler's somewhat aged glibc
http://www.xpl4java.org/xPL4Linux/
It includes a watchdog process and spawns itself to the background.
Rather than explain the build processes, I've attached the built executable below.
Gerry has a pre-built static version too at the URL above, but unsure if that works on the PNP Joggler or not.

Put the file in /usr/bin, add a line to /etc/init/d/S99boot.hacks under starthacks()

/usr/bin/xPL_Hub_Joggler

and for completeness under stophacks() after killall squeezeplay

killall xPL_Hub_Joggler
Finally...

Power saving
I can't report significant progress here but my thoughts are that the kernel isn't fully optimised re: Speedstep/cpu_idle, and there's a watt or two to come off the standby power. The reason I say this is that /proc/cpuinfo reports the "cpu MHz" at 1330 MHz (i.e. flat out) all the time, and no driver for cpu_freq governor. The kernel doesn't like modprobing other governors that have been built with it, so there's a bit more to it.
Every other Intel based Linux box I've looked at this is not the case, aside from data centre servers.
I found the Open Source components for Openpeak a few years back, and might build the same kernel a bit differently, but will investigate further with some of the other USB based distros first as it shouldn't really require a complete kernel rebuild.

[update]
Jools Wills Xubuntu (version from late 2015) runs 3.2.74 kernel with the right kernel modules. It idles the CPU @800MHz as it should, and so runs the Joggler a bit cooler (CPU should be < 1W). I'll look into what it would take to improve the PNP kernel config along those lines. The relevant modules were around at the time of the 2.6.24 kernel according to free electrons, so unsure why they didn't make it to the Openpeak build.

Joggle on...
Attachments
xPL_Hub_Joggler.zip
Gerry Duprey's XPL Hub built for PNP3 Joggler
(80.86 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
Last edited by keynet on Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Very interesting.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Very :-)
@keynet thanks for sharing your fixes / work on this .

Any chance of persuading you to do a new build Dave ,Including this stuff ?
No worries if not , shy bairns get nowt as they say up here .

PNP III is still well used on the old Joggler ...
Thanks for all your hard work on it over the years , kept many a Jogglers heart beating that were destined for the bin .
Cheers

Happy Joggling
jkn

Post by jkn »

keynet wrote:
[...]
My working assumption is that the Joggler is "calling home" daily for updates etc, but home is ... well dead.
The file /openpeak/gui/appshop.xml includes a call to http://op01.openpeak.net/openpeak
This site now does some useless advertising redirect.

After trying a few things, my solution is just to delete /openpeak/gui/appshop.xml
A week now without losing icons, even after several reboots, and I think this fix is simple and effective.
That is all very interesting, yes, thanks a lot for this.

The bit above was my thought too - that the 'attempt to 'phone home' was somehow causing the problem. I has sort-of assumed that this process would have been disabled in the PnP III build, but maybe not. I may go and have a search for what causes this to run, in case it's a bit separate from your fix.

I shall definitely try the latter though, and will follow the rest of your post with interest - thanks a lot!

Cheers
Jon N
keynet

Post by keynet »

POWER SAVING...

Later... it wasn't that hard actually, the required modules are all there. All you need do is modprobe acpi-cpufreq, which could be added to the init scripts. This gets the ACPI support going, dmesg spits out appropriate messages and it turns out that the ondemand governor is built into the kernel (the kernel build config in /boot (CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND=y confirms).

/proc/cpuinfo now reports 800MHz at idle - great!

The not-so-great is that the power disappointingly drops by perhaps 0.5W - I'm guessing as my power meter doesn't have the resolution - and worse the Squeezeplay audio buzzes (even at idle) as if a fly is stuck in the radio! The default audio (e.g. PURE radio app) is pretty much OK though, I hear a very occasional quiet pop, it's perhaps once a minute. This suggests mixer/ALSA config to me, and other governors don't appear to help.

But for 0.5W, it seems a little pointless, other than seeking engineering optimisation.
If anyone has the fix to hand - e.g. from another distro - I'd be happy to try it.

I should add that my measurements on AC are
- approx 10W bright screen
- approx 7W screen at dimmest
- 5-6W screen off, idle
- say 5W with ondemand governor reduicing CPU to 800MHz
Last edited by keynet on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.