PnP III v3.50: Enhance the standard OS - DOWNLOAD HERE!

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
gegs

Re: PnP III: Enhance the standard OS - Download v3.048 here!

Post by gegs »

themystical wrote:Any ideas as to what OS would be most appropriate with PnP111 and that would give similar level of functionality? How could PnP111 be "coupled" to this OS on the stick?
My suggestion would be to try them all (I did).

JoliOS is definitely the most finger-friendly for the main interface, although the apps themselves might be much less so. Joli mainly runs web apps and these are mostly designed to be navigated by mouse or keyboard. I find the on-board touch screen keyboard adequate for my needs but I always use a bluetooth mouse whenever I use a USB distro, it's just easier and more accurate.

I prefer a full linux desktop-style distro because it's what I'm used to. I started with SuSE linux 5 in 1997* and I'm familiar with the linux way of doing things. I use BuZz's Mint distro on the Joggler. What you'd prefer depends on how you link to interact with the Joggler and what you're more comfortable with. That's why I'd suggest trying them all.

---------------------------------------------

*Possibly early '98. Actually SuSE 5.0 was the first distro I bought (boxed, with printed manuals and everything...). The first distro I installed and ran for a short while was SuSe 4.2 (from a magazine disk, I think). It was old even then and had been given to me by a colleague who worked with Cray supercomputers. 4.2 was the first public release and wasn't numbered 1.0 because it was a pun on the meaning of life, the universe and everything. (...and as he leaned back in his chair he put on a pair of "FREE with this issue of Linux Format" pink-tinted geek nostalgia goggles ... similar to the kind gamers wear when they play Galaga)
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

I have 3 Jogglers all with PnP III.
Re Squeezeplay - if I'm not running LMS on my laptop the default name for each Joggler's own LMS is "atom".
This means I get a list with 3 x "atom" when switching libraries.
Can someone tell me how to rename these so I can have separate library names for each Joggler?

Thanks!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Fishy wrote:I have 3 Jogglers all with PnP III.
Re Squeezeplay - if I'm not running LMS on my laptop the default name for each Joggler's own LMS is "atom".
Can someone tell me how to rename these so I can have separate library names for each Joggler?

Thanks!
Go into LMS settings via a web browser. I think the option is in the basic settings tab -> music library name. It is blank by default (so displays atom in Squeezeplay) so you can type in a new name there.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
Camay1066

Post by Camay1066 »

Hi all. Just to start with a wow! What a brilliant man/job you've been doing.

Now, I've a question, I'm trying to mount a USB hard drive that has my music files on so LMS can see it, but how do I do this?

My joggler is a stock one ie no extra USB ports etc

Ta
ilovemyjoggler

Re: v3.048 on the way

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

offbeatdave wrote:Build in progress:
v3.048 Updates Logitech Media Server from v7.7.1 to v7.7.2
Fix wrong reference to busybox in startup scripts linked to LMS scanning - is this causing people's scanning problem
Well whatever you did, it worked. I couldn't scan my usb into the squeezeplay atom before. Updated to your newest version this evening and hey presto! Had a couple of false starts (my fault) but it scanned in minutes and I'm thrilled. Thanks you little star you!
offbeatdave

Re: v3.048 on the way

Post by offbeatdave »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:
offbeatdave wrote:Build in progress:
v3.048 Updates Logitech Media Server from v7.7.1 to v7.7.2
Fix wrong reference to busybox in startup scripts linked to LMS scanning - is this causing people's scanning problem
Well whatever you did, it worked. I couldn't scan my usb into the squeezeplay atom before. Updated to your newest version this evening and hey presto! Had a couple of false starts (my fault) but it scanned in minutes and I'm thrilled. Thanks!
Cool. For those on earlier versions on PnP III, you need to edit the file /etc/init.d/boot.d/S98squeezebox.server and change the line

Code: Select all

echo rescan | /media/gforums/busybox nc -w1 localhost 9090
to read

echo rescan | /bin/busybox nc -w1 localhost 9090
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

offbeatdave wrote:
Fishy wrote:I have 3 Jogglers all with PnP III.

Thanks!
Go into LMS settings via a web browser. I think the option is in the basic settings tab -> music library name. It is blank by default (so displays atom in Squeezeplay) so you can type in a new name there.
Dave - this sorted it so many thanks!

Have a strange issue with dtnl's word clock - the time is correct but the date is 2 days behind. Other apps/screens show the correct date, eg news feed. Even Joggler settings shows the correct date at the top of the menu screen. NTP servers were set primary and secondary to ntp2a.mcc.ac.uk.
I thought these things worked by looking at a single server so presume secondary is just a failover if primary not available??
Either way did some googling and changed to ntp2d.mcc.ac.uk which I found listed on a webpage.
Hasn't cured it. Any ideas? Anyone else had this?
Not a major issue but is a bit wierd! :?
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Fishy wrote:
Have a strange issue with dtnl's word clock - the time is correct but the date is 2 days behind. Other apps/screens show the correct date, eg news feed. Even Joggler settings shows the correct date at the top of the menu screen. NTP servers were set primary and secondary to ntp2a.mcc.ac.uk.
I thought these things worked by looking at a single server so presume secondary is just a failover if primary not available??
Either way did some googling and changed to ntp2d.mcc.ac.uk which I found listed on a webpage.
Hasn't cured it. Any ideas? Anyone else had this?
Not a major issue but is a bit wierd! :?
I had this once - the date didn't change over, although it did seem to right itself automatically after an hour or two. Not really sure what to advise on this one.
Kruger

Post by Kruger »

I was on v3.045 , just tried to instal this latest version using telnet and I'm now looking at a black screen,
So I will need to reflash , how do do I reflash and update to this version at the same time
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Kruger wrote:I was on v3.045 , just tried to instal this latest version using telnet and I'm now looking at a black screen,
So I will need to reflash , how do do I reflash and update to this version at the same time
The screen goes black during the install, but assuming it has failed you need to reflash and then reinstall.

Stage 1 - make sure the Joggler is running the latest operating system.

1) Download this file to your PC from ftp://ftp.exotica.org.uk/pub/joggler/fi ... -14.img.gz (230Mb download - unzips to 400Mb so a small USB will do)
2) Extract the .img file using WinRAR or similar
3) Use a program called Win32DiskImager on your PC to write the .img file to a USB stick
4) Insert the newly created USB stick into a switched off Joggler and boot it up.
5) After a bit of USB activity on the o2 or OpenPeak first boot screen it should go through a reflashing sequence (on a blue screen).
6) When finished, it should say 'Ready' on a green screen.
7) Take out the stick, reboot (by pulling the plug!) and hopefully you'll have a working Joggler, ready to move onto the next stage

Stage 2 - Install the custom apps

1) Download the PnP III file from http://goo.gl/oA5sJ
2) Unzip the downloaded archive (the download is around 106Mb) and copy all the files to a FAT32 formatted USB stick.
3) Make sure the Joggler is on and connected to your network, either wired or wireless.
3) Plug the USB stick into the Joggler.
4) Telnet into the Joggler via a computer (Start->Run->Telnet)
In Telnet type in
open <your Joggler's IP address> (e.g. open 192.168.2.98)
The username is root and there is no password.
5) Type in:
cd /mnt/files <press Enter>
./pnp3op.sh <press Enter>
6) Loads of stuff will scroll up the Telnet window whilst the mods are installed. The Joggler screen will probably go blank. Ignore any 'error' messages reporting files cannot be created etc. Nothing is wrong!
7) The Joggler should eventually reboot into the OpenPeak OS with all the new apps and icons.

SSH, SCP (username: letmeinssh password: joggler1234) will be enabled in addition to Telnet (username: root).
A simple Webserver will be available via a browser at <YOUR_JOGGLER'S_IP_ADDRESS>
Logitech Media Server will be available via a browser at <YOUR_JOGGLER'S_IP_ADDRESS:9000>
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

I've added the more detailed instructions to the 1st post for easy reference for others! It's now in the Quickstart PDF download too!
Kruger

Post by Kruger »

offbeatdave wrote:I've added the more detailed instructions to the 1st post for easy reference for others! It's now in the Quickstart PDF download too!
I'll give that a go later cheers , it was actually v3.042 I was on and left it for nearly half an hour but no luck,
another thing it said on the instructions the that login was root no password but I could only login using letmein
kappa__2

Post by kappa__2 »

Hi!

Is it possible to get an sip softphone working with PnPIII?
I have a spare usb cam, i was thinking compiling its drivers and try it out.... :D

thks
Kruger

Post by Kruger »

Kruger wrote:
offbeatdave wrote:I've added the more detailed instructions to the 1st post for easy reference for others! It's now in the Quickstart PDF download too!
I'll give that a go later cheers , it was actually v3.042 I was on and left it for nearly half an hour but no luck,
another thing it said on the instructions the that login was root no password but I could only login using letmein
Worked fine this time
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Worked fine this time
Phew - another happy Joggler!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Updated 26th September 2012

Change the F1 feed used by the News app to one that works (not perfectly displayed but better than nothing)
Telnet in and enter:

cd /media/opt
rm -r news/*
wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/77534245/news.tar
tar xvf news.tar
rm -r news.tar

Note that this will remove any fiddling you've done to any of the news feeds yourself.
darrenh

Any chance/instructions how to update Opera?

Post by darrenh »

Evening,

I must admit PnPIII is excellent *however* I note LMS is the most latest and greatest which is great, but why is Opera still on a 10.1 beta?

A newer version would be good - I tried to cheat and replaced the opera.tar file in the files with a later linux i386 version, but obviously that did not work :(

Any info would be great.

Cheers
Darrem
offbeatdave

Re: Any chance/instructions how to update Opera?

Post by offbeatdave »

darrenh wrote:why is Opera still on a 10.1 beta?
Hi,

Glad you're liking PnP III. The basic answer is, it's the only version anyone was able to make work! I don't know if others can as I've never looked. That could be a project for a rainy day!
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Any advice please?

My 2nd PNPIII'ed joggler has a usb, containing all my music, sticking out of it. It's my 'atom' library and runs using the on board LMS so I never have to turn on the pc/laptop for tunes. I'm delighted with this setup but saw this post on the squeezeplay os thread and wondered if I might be damaging the joggler's memory. Really don't want to do that!

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 400#p13422

Is my setup likely to cause problems - should I do something else?

Of course I may have misunderstood what's being said...it wouldn't be the first time (or the last). ;)
yellowjellyfish

Post by yellowjellyfish »

Hi from the newbie.
I've had a joggler for a few years now. Since o2 updated them and we lost everything, it hasn't seen much use in the home. I'm now on a mission to bring it back to life, and am interested in installing the new apps available from pnpIII archive, but onto the original o2 software.
If someone could offer me some words of wisdom i'd be very grateful. i Don't want to copy unnecessary files onto the the memory stick before the install. Or copy not enough files.
Thanks in advance