PnP III v3.50: Enhance the standard OS - DOWNLOAD HERE!

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
ilovemyjoggler

Re: PnP III: Enhance the standard OS - Download & details he

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

I realise this is very much a back to basics question but would some kind soul please tell me what uPnP is and how to use it on the joggler? :oops: I'd like to get the most possible use out of the one by my bedside. Many thanks.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I think your NAS has onboard media server software so you could just turn that on and point the Joggler's UPNP app at that. Some NAS devices also have a version of LMS which can be installed - my Buffalo NAS runs LMS quite well so you might want to look into that.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:I realise this is very much a back to basics question but would some kind soul please tell me what uPnP is and how to use it on the joggler? :oops: I'd like to get the most possible use out of the one by my bedside. Many thanks.
upnp is a program on the Joggler that you point at a media server. For example, if you have your music stored on a Windows PC you can set Windows Media Player to act as a media server. It then sort of broadcasts to your network that it has all this media ready to be shared. You then point the Joggler's upnp program to the WMP media server and it should allow you to play all of your music.

I prefer to use Logitech Media Server on the PC to act as a media server and you can then use Squeezeplay on the Joggler to play your music.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

dwl99 wrote:
ilovemyjoggler wrote:I realise this is very much a back to basics question but would some kind soul please tell me what uPnP is and how to use it on the joggler? :oops: I'd like to get the most possible use out of the one by my bedside. Many thanks.
upnp is a program on the Joggler that you point at a media server. For example, if you have your music stored on a Windows PC you can set Windows Media Player to act as a media server. It then sort of broadcasts to your network that it has all this media ready to be shared. You then point the Joggler's upnp program to the WMP media server and it should allow you to play all of your music.

I prefer to use Logitech Media Server on the PC to act as a media server and you can then use Squeezeplay on the Joggler to play your music.
Ohhh, I get it. Like you I listen to my music through squeezplay via the Logitech media server on my pc (neither of which I'd heard of before the big black crash of May, which led me to this wonderful forum...silver lining and all that!).

Does upnp only do music files or is there anything else it's able to recognise?

My pc isn't wireless at the mo, have the dongle, just haven't got round to it...which is why I can't answer my own questions. Thanks in advance.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

You can usually share video, audio & pictures via upnp (depending on the media server you use). The device playing the media must also be capable of playing the file format too. It doesn't matter if your PC is not connected via wifi, a wired connection is fine as long as it's all on the same network.
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

dwl99 wrote:I think your NAS has onboard media server software so you could just turn that on and point the Joggler's UPNP app at that. Some NAS devices also have a version of LMS which can be installed - my Buffalo NAS runs LMS quite well so you might want to look into that.
Looked at this but it's a very basic bit of kit - very few options available when you log in mainly relating to naming it!
Certainly nothing to do with media.
I just need to work out how to code linux so the Joggler mounts the disc.

Gave WinSCP a whirl.
Thanks for that; going forward I'm sure it will be useful and represents another step in my linux education...
Unfortunately just like ilovemyjoggler the map for me is also stuck in Skegness even after the edit you suggested. :(
Must be another file somewhere that saves the default.
If we can't crack it maybe someone could go to the guy in Skegness and ask him which file to alter!!! :lol:
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

dwl99 wrote:You can usually share video, audio & pictures via upnp (depending on the media server you use). The device playing the media must also be capable of playing the file format too. It doesn't matter if your PC is not connected via wifi, a wired connection is fine as long as it's all on the same network.
That sounds very interesting. Next step for me will be to investigate what video content I may be able to get on it (I predict hours of frustration ahead :lol: ) Thanks for all your help!
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

Offbeatdave - I've updated the icons on 2 Jogglers and just noticed the Pure Radio icon has been replaced by the Calculator icon.
It still says "Radio" below and goes into the radio app correctly but the icon is wrong.
How can I correct it?

Thanks.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

not near one at the moment. You can try and update again or search back a few posts where someone else had problem. Nowhere near my machines to give detailed fix tonight. Sorry.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

Thanks for quick reply - I did update again and it didn't fix it which is why I posted in case your download is wrong.
No probs - it's not a major issue anyway.
Thanks.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Fishy wrote:
dwl99 wrote:I think your NAS has onboard media server software so you could just turn that on and point the Joggler's UPNP app at that. Some NAS devices also have a version of LMS which can be installed - my Buffalo NAS runs LMS quite well so you might want to look into that.
Looked at this but it's a very basic bit of kit - very few options available when you log in mainly relating to naming it!
Certainly nothing to do with media.
I just need to work out how to code linux so the Joggler mounts the disc.

Gave WinSCP a whirl.
Thanks for that; going forward I'm sure it will be useful and represents another step in my linux education...
Unfortunately just like ilovemyjoggler the map for me is also stuck in Skegness even after the edit you suggested. :(
Must be another file somewhere that saves the default.
If we can't crack it maybe someone could go to the guy in Skegness and ask him which file to alter!!! :lol:
The text in the content.xml file should look like this:

<content>
<locations>

<location>
<lat>XX.81459360156025</lat>
<lng>-X.285394847393036</lng>
<title>NotSkegness</title>
<address>10 XXXXXX Drive X99 4XX</address>
</location>

</locations>
</content>

Obviously you need to substitute NotSkegness with your town name, 10 XXXXXX Drive X99 4XX, with your address & postcode and XX in the latitude/longtitude with the correct values. There are other content.xml files relating to maps, one is at /media/app-cfg/op_google_maps but I'm sure the location I gave was the correct one.
ttherapo

Post by ttherapo »

Some more questions:
1.is it possible to add some more rss feeds to news app?
2.About iplayer, to use it in other countries i ead that it is possible if you use uk proxy.i don't know how to do this or if it possible with joggler.

Any help?
aitch

Post by aitch »

I've found the file to update to change the Google Maps default location. It is:
/media/opt/maps/content.xml
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

Anyone have anew link for the reflasher ?

I'm on an older version of PNPIII which has no network connectivity.

I want to upgrade to the newest version, but need the original firmware on to correct the netwrok issues from what I can see ?

Shout if I'm talking bollocks lol !!
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

aitch wrote:I've found the file to update to change the Google Maps default location. It is:
/media/opt/maps/content.xml
This works!
Edit this file to text re lat & lng, etc posted earlier by dwl99 on 09/08/12 at 5.16am
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

Fishy wrote:Offbeatdave - I've updated the icons on 2 Jogglers and just noticed the Pure Radio icon has been replaced by the Calculator icon.
It still says "Radio" below and goes into the radio app correctly but the icon is wrong.
How can I correct it?
This fixes it (from earlier posts):

cd /openpeak/gui/apps/o2_radio
wget -O icon.swf http://dl.dropbox.com/u/77534245/radio.png

Don't forget to restart afterwards.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

chrisuk wrote:Anyone have anew link for the reflasher ?

I'm on an older version of PNPIII which has no network connectivity.

I want to upgrade to the newest version, but need the original firmware on to correct the netwrok issues from what I can see ?

Shout if I'm talking bollocks lol !!
Think I've linked it in the first post. I use the small version.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Offbeatdave, I have finally got round to putting pnpIII on my bedside joggler and wanted to say thanks again!

btw the new clock screensaver is truly beautiful (thank you to the clever man who created it) but I've gone back to the massive blue o2 clock as I find it quicker to tell to time if I don't have to read it (sadly I'm always late for everything so every second counts!) :D

Thanks again!

Edit: Meant to say that I downloaded the newest version of PnPIII and it was 3rd stick lucky as I didn't want to overwrite the previous version just yet. Interestingly I can ony ever to get it to work on the oldest, tattiest sticks...you know the ones that have been through the washing machine cycle a few times. Odd...
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I keep rearranging the icons on each screen but whenever I reboot they have all gone back to the default arrangement. Is there a way round this? Also, is there a way to permanently get rid of some of the icons such as USA Today by editing one of the configuration files??
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

Has the Sky News link failed again?? or just me>