PnP III v3.50: Enhance the standard OS - DOWNLOAD HERE!

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pete

Re: PnP III: Enhance the standard OS - Download & details he

Post by pete »

Very nice screen shots offbeatdave!

I couldn't get the html code above to run. Trying an RTSP feed from the IP cameras direct. I do do Opera single feed links though just fine.

Almost got VNC working but getting wierd x windows error when running it; looks more to be a path/config issue.

I have two Jogglers running PnP III now full time. One is an alternate to my PBO NMT box running in the master bedroom multimedia set up. Easier cuz the NMT plays via the LCD TV.

Amazing stuff you have done with PnP III! Thank you!
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Spikeyjohn

Post by Spikeyjohn »

Just want to say thanks to offbeatdave and everyone else on this forum who's contributed to this.

I finally took the plunge and installed PnP III on my joggler. Works a treat and very easy to install even with my (virtually non-existent) technical know-how.

One question, does anyone know why google calendar doesn't seem to display Sunday appointments when displaying the week view ? Only a minor niggle, not too worried. Cheers everyone !
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Spikeyjohn wrote:Just want to say thanks to offbeatdave and everyone else on this forum who's contributed to this.

I finally took the plunge and installed PnP III on my joggler. Works a treat and very easy to install even with my (virtually non-existent) technical know-how.

One question, does anyone know why google calendar doesn't seem to display Sunday appointments when displaying the week view ? Only a minor niggle, not too worried. Cheers everyone !
Nice one. Regarding Google Calendar, mine is currently displaying 7 events for Sunday from 4 different calendars so I'm not sure what is wrong with yours.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

In a bit of a tangle over the usb soundcard option.
All has been fine until I updated squeezeplay (using the builtin update option) yesterday to 1.51 I think it said.
After that the sound was back on the audio out.
Tried the swf setting and that didnt set the usb and for a while i lost browser access and a few other thing. Fortunately a reboot brought that back but still audio out.
So I updated pnp III to the latest version and tried the web interface setting to turn on the usb - that didnt work.
Then I found that within squeezeplay there is an option to set the external sound interface - that worked so squeezeplay now plays through the usb but the rest of the system plaYS thru audio out.
I note that the 1.51 changelog says:
Removed the old asound.conf_mixer configuration as it has been superseded by the _dmix version
That must have been the cause.
No doubt you are clever enough to understand it better than me.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

mikeywilliams wrote:In a bit of a tangle over the usb soundcard option.
All has been fine until I updated squeezeplay (using the builtin update option) yesterday to 1.51 I think it said.
After that the sound was back on the audio out.
Tried the swf setting and that didnt set the usb and for a while i lost browser access and a few other thing. Fortunately a reboot brought that back but still audio out.
So I updated pnp III to the latest version and tried the web interface setting to turn on the usb - that didnt work.
Then I found that within squeezeplay there is an option to set the external sound interface - that worked so squeezeplay now plays through the usb but the rest of the system plaYS thru audio out.
I note that the 1.51 changelog says:
Removed the old asound.conf_mixer configuration as it has been superseded by the _dmix version
That must have been the cause.
No doubt you are clever enough to understand it better than me.
Will have a look later if I get a moment and try to bring things back into sync. However, I can't actually test the USB version as I don't use a USB sound card.

However, I too have updated to SQP v1.51 this week through a PnP III'd Joggler and have no problems whatsoever with internal sound in SQP, Internet Radio, iPlayer or anything at all in actual fact so I'm not sure what is causing the problems you are experiencing.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Have updated SQP from 1.49 -> 1.51 on another PnP III Joggler just now and everything is working fine through the internal sound card.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I've updated Squeezeplay on the stock OS and chose the external soundcard configuration. I still have USB sound output on everything.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

gegs wrote:I've updated Squeezeplay on the stock OS and chose the external soundcard configuration. I still have USB sound output on everything.
Thanks for the confirmation that this should still be working! :)
offbeatdave

Update to a better version of Connect 4

Post by offbeatdave »

Something that's annoyed me for ages is the fact that the Connect 4 game was pretty much unplayable. After much searching, here is a much better 1 or 2 player version with varying difficulty AND the counters actually go where you want them to!

Telnet in and type:

Code: Select all

wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/77534245/updateconnect4.sh
sh ./updateconnect4.sh
rm -r updateconnect4.sh
It'll be in PnP III v3.043 as standard.
ttherapo

Post by ttherapo »

I have different questions I would like to ask regarding pnp...I have 3.042 version and really happy with it.So:
1. If I want to update to a newer version I just copy the new files to a usb and reboot like i did the first time?
2. I am from cyprus, so my appointments are in greek language,so when i sync everything greek language is not supported.How do I fix this?
3.I cannot use iplayer, not supported in your country message.Can I skip this and make it play?
4.Some apps like animation gilpert is not working, I can see the icon, but there is no descripion under icon and when I select nothing happens...
5.After some time screen light deems for a second and then back to normal and it keeps doing that for ever.Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.....
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

ttherapo wrote:I have different questions I would like to ask regarding pnp...I have 3.042 version and really happy with it.So:
1. If I want to update to a newer version I just copy the new files to a usb and reboot like i did the first time?
2. I am from cyprus, so my appointments are in greek language,so when i sync everything greek language is not supported.How do I fix this?
3.I cannot use iplayer, not supported in your country message.Can I skip this and make it play?
4.Some apps like animation gilpert is not working, I can see the icon, but there is no descripion under icon and when I select nothing happens...
5.After some time screen light deems for a second and then back to normal and it keeps doing that for ever.Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.....
Hi!

I'll try and answer as best I can, although I don't have many answers!

1) It should work by doing this.
2) I don't know if you can do this.
3) I don't think that there is a way to fix this.
4) The problem with dilbert happens on one of my Jogglers. I will investigate this some more but for now try telnetting in and typing the following:

Code: Select all

cd /media/opt
rm -r /media/opt/dilbert
wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/77534245/dilbert.tar
tar xvf dilbert.tar
rm -r dilbert.tar
killall tango
EDIT: May have found the cause of the problem. I have tweaked the PnP III v3.044 to try and fix this. The above fix should also resolve it though.
5) Go to the webserver (type in your Joggler's IP address into a browser on a networked computer) and Disable Dimming.
ttherapo

Post by ttherapo »

Thank you for the reply..updated to newest version and gilbert is working ok.Also auto dim was not working even after disabling in web interface.With newnbersion all ok. So my only issues is google calendar with greek support and iplayer for other countries...

And now for some more questions..,
1.When I insert a usb with pictures in joggler and select pitures/usb I get a message unknown format,so what kind of pictures does joggler support
2.Again for pictures in squeezeplay, if I want to see the pictures in the usb, what is the correct path?default is (if I remember cortect) /media?

Thanks
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

path to usb is /mnt
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

Switching on a USB sound card works fine...

I purchased the "recommended one"...its a bit louder... but not much...
I rebuilt my joggler as the previous install was a bit flaky...

any idea why my sounds not "massively" larger... I was expecting quite a gain... the sound keys on the USB stick dont do much...but do when attached to a Windows 7 box

However thw web switching and PNPIII latest is nice and stable
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

ordessa wrote:Switching on a USB sound card works fine...

I purchased the "recommended one"...its a bit louder... but not much...
I rebuilt my joggler as the previous install was a bit flaky...

any idea why my sounds not "massively" larger... I was expecting quite a gain... the sound keys on the USB stick dont do much...but do when attached to a Windows 7 box

However thw web switching and PNPIII latest is nice and stable
No idea myself, but hopefully someone will enlighten us.
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

My findings re sound are as follows: :geek:

To boost internal sound from headphone jack use "Alsamixer" command if on SqeezePlay OS (by Roobarb) or "/usr/bin/amixer sset "Master",0 25" command if on PnPIII (by offbeatdave).
These improve volume but there is still some background hiss; not so bad when track playing but noticeable in breaks.
Joggler forgets these settings if rebooted and reverts to amp-unfriendly 70% throttled output :cry:
Would be useful if there was a way of making these changes permanent or, failing that, if they could be more easily switched on/off via either swf launcher or on the settings page which comes up when you browse to the joggler IP address.

Experimented with "http://amzn.to/LFAslY" suggested by gegs but it made no real difference and I wouldn't recommend it.
Output is still via a headphone jack with little improvement in volume or quality - you really do get what you pay for.

Then bought the much recommended Behringer UCA202.
This is worth the money - much better quality sound and an improvement in volume.
However:
At the start of my Squeezebox journey I bought a Squeezebox Touch which is hooked to my best sound system (Harman Kardon); volume & quality from this are superb.
I then discovered Jogglers and craftily thought I could recoup the cost of the Jogglers by offloading the Touch on eBay!
Sadly not. Whilst being acceptable the combination of a Joggler + Behringer is still inferior to the Touch.
With both connected to the HK amp, playing the same track via synchro, switching between the two shows almost similar quality (Touch is better) but significant increase in volume from the Touch.
Must admit was surprised by that as both are digital source line outputs so expected volumes to be the same.
So it appears that here also you get what you pay for!

Still haven't been able to successfully point joggler to my network hard drive directly without running LMS on my laptop (see my earlier posts).
Any suggestions would be gratefully received; answers in "beginners" putty/linux instruction language only please. :D
Blotch

Post by Blotch »

I've just got round to updating my 3 jogglers with PnPIII. Absolutely brilliant job Dave & Co, makes my jogglers functional again - many thanks for all the great work you do :D
pete

Post by pete »

Question:

I am taking the sound out of the Joggler to a MM receiver in the master bedroom. Can I just plug in my "el cheapo" external USB sound card into the Joggler and will it work without using Squeezebox?

Nope answering my own question.

OK so I will install Squeezebox on my new Ubuntu MythTV/XBMC box and give it a go....

Installed and tried the ext audio on the squeezebox player. Works great!! Thanks folks!
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
valve90210

Newbie with questions

Post by valve90210 »

Hi All

I got my very first Joggler just yesterday and am consideringt in stall PnP III as it looks to be really good but before I do I have a few questions about customizing what is installed. as there are a few things which I wouldn't want on there.

From reading the instructions I think I'm right in saying that I need to edit pnp3o2.shx in the files folder and that I do so by adding '#' to the start of the lines relating to what I wanted to not install. That's right isn't it?

This seems simple enough for some things like the hotmail and twitter shortcuts for example as I just # out all the lines in that section right?

However, can I stop Opera installing, or is it needed for other things like the webserver? If it is required for other things, is there anyway I can stop it being added as an icon to the desktop (for want of a better term)???

The items I'd not want to install are:

Opera (at least not on the desktop)
Hotmail
Gmail
Yahoo
Twitter
Gtalk
Horoscopes
Dilbert
USA Today

Would it be possible to do all this?
leepea

Post by leepea »

Yes, I did exactly the same as I wanted a minimal install, just # out anything you don't want/need. I didn't install Opera, everything else on your list plus lots more and it works like a charm. Do make sure you edit the file using Notepad++ though, if you use Wordpad/Notepad it doesn't seem to work.