PnP III v3.50: Enhance the standard OS - DOWNLOAD HERE!

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
mb1

Re: PnP III for pre/post OpenPeak update Jogglers - Get it h

Post by mb1 »

Something's definitely not quite right with network connections and PnP III. I had - for the first time ever - to put in my network settings manually for it to all work.

Now Google Calendar is whinging that there's no internet connection (when there is). Also, the Accuweather worked once when I added my local town, but now keeps saying "Error downloading data. Please check your network connection."

But I do like the new stuff you've added, especially the screensavers!
leepea

Post by leepea »

I finally got round to installing PnP III last night and I'm having some trouble customising it. I used the reflash tool to get a clean O2 Joggler then ran PnP III and all worked perfectly, after manually configuring WiFi. There was a LOT of stuff I don't want/need, such as all of the games, Opera, Logitech Media Server, egg timer, Dilbert, Maps etc etc so I edited the pnp3o2.shx file and removed everything I don't want, then reflashed the stock O2 software and ran PnP III again. My Joggler hangs at the O2 logo and reboots once a minute or so. I left it over an hour and still the same thing kept happening, so I pulled out the USB, rebooted and it's working fine on the clean O2 software. I've obviously done something wrong when editing the pnp3o2.shx file, but what have I managed to do?! I left all the system tools and utilities and just removed the games, unwanted apps and LMS. I basically just want Squeezebox (without server), iPlayer, YouTube and a few other utilities like screen off, weather, alarm etc and want to use the rest of the free space for photos. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful indeed!
deongorle

Post by deongorle »

Hi Leepea

I had exactly the same problem as you did and with thanks to offbeatdave I managed to solve the problem. Try editing the pnp3o2.shx file with "Notepad++" instead of using wordpad or notepad (or which ever editor you were using). You can download it from here :

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.1.2.html

And.......Hey presto......it will work perfefy. I can only gather that wordpad and some of the other editors must save the .shx file incorrectly but Notepad++ works a treat. Hope this helps.

:D :D :D
leepea

Post by leepea »

Thanks, I'll try again tomorrow.
deongorle

Post by deongorle »

No problem at all. Start with a fresh Joggler and a fresh download of PNPIII and it should work just perfectly, just edit out the lines you don't want using notepad++, save the file, stick it in your Joggler and let it do it's magic (can take between 10-15 min and will reboot a few times, but this is quite normal). PNPIII is just fantastic, rock solid and a credit to the superb work offbeatdave is doing.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I wouldn't get rid of Opera though. It's the only web browser on the Joggler stock OS and it comes in handy every now and again. You can create your own button bookmarks for frequently visited sites (but nothing with Flash). I check BBC News frequently and have even sent the occasional short email (because my crappy old computer takes an age to boot up and it can be quicker to do so).
Positivity

Post by Positivity »

Hi,
Just wanted to say a big thanks to offbeatdave for the great work that has gone into this. Having got telnet access back on my updated joggler I was able to run the PNPIII script and get a working machine back. My main need is a Squeezebox server and LMS works brilliantly - it fully indexed around 10,000 tracks in just over an hour, the previous PnP version took around 12 hours to do the same!

I do still have a couple of questions though...
If I want to run a new PNPIII release do I just run the new script or do I have to reflash the OpenPeak OS and start again?
I am finding that Squeezeplay keeps quitting to the main OpenPeak menu screen - the music keeps playing but obviously I can't select any other music or see what is playing. If I run Squeezeplay again the music stops playing and then resumes from the start of the track. I updated Squeezeplay to v1.46 from within the player but this did not fix the problem. Has anyone else seen this behaviour? Is it the OS or the player (never had the problem on the O2 OS)?
carled

Post by carled »

I give in... I had a perfectly working joggler until flipping O2 decided to trash it for me, thanks.

I've tried everything under the sun to get it back and have now reflashed it back to a pre-update o/s
I then ran the ssh enable script and I can get in just fine with ssh
I have formatted my usb stick, copied all pnp3 files to it and plugged it in and rebooted, it does nothing, just boots up normally.

I cannot mount the usb manually and run the script.

# mkdir /mnt/usb
# /bin/mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
mount: mounting /dev/sda1 on usb failed: Invalid argument

Please point me in the right direction, just want the joggler back!
leepea

Post by leepea »

gegs wrote:I wouldn't get rid of Opera though. It's the only web browser on the Joggler stock OS and it comes in handy every now and again.
My Joggler sits about 3 feet away from a laptop and a tablet so Opera really isn't necessary for me. Thank for the advice though!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Positivity wrote: My main need is a Squeezebox server and LMS works brilliantly - it fully indexed around 10,000 tracks in just over an hour, the previous PnP version took around 12 hours to do the same!
Cool!
I do still have a couple of questions though...
If I want to run a new PNPIII release do I just run the new script or do I have to reflash the OpenPeak OS and start again?
Not sure. Not tried this for ages. Will have to try when I get a mo.
I am finding that Squeezeplay keeps quitting to the main OpenPeak menu screen - the music keeps playing but obviously I can't select any other music or see what is playing. If I run Squeezeplay again the music stops playing and then resumes from the start of the track. I updated Squeezeplay to v1.46 from within the player but this did not fix the problem. Has anyone else seen this behaviour? Is it the OS or the player (never had the problem on the O2 OS)?
Have never had this issue before! Hopefully someone else will point you in the right direction. Sorry!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

carled wrote:I give in... I had a perfectly working joggler until flipping O2 decided to trash it for me, thanks.

I've tried everything under the sun to get it back and have now reflashed it back to a pre-update o/s
I have formatted my usb stick, copied all pnp3 files to it and plugged it in and rebooted, it does nothing, just boots up normally.
Have you made sure that there isn't a 'remove_for_new_install' file from the USB stick. The root of the USB stick should have three folders (files, radiostations and squeezefavourites) and a bunch of other stuff.
pukington

Post by pukington »

offbeatdave wrote:
carled wrote:I give in... I had a perfectly working joggler until flipping O2 decided to trash it for me, thanks.

Have you made sure that there isn't a 'remove_for_new_install' file from the USB stick. The root of the USB stick should have three folders (files, radiostations and squeezefavourites) and a bunch of other stuff.

This is easily done, mine almost went out the window due to this! lol

I've reflashed and reinstalled PnP III so many times having fiddled and breaking it in the last few days i've got it down to an art.

Firstly reflash, as per the http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/jogglerflash page, make sure you've got the files that you need, the disc image, the shell script and follow the "Part 1: Create the Reflashing Device". It takes a few minutes, but guess you've managed this already.

Then follow Daves instructions on page 1, make sure when you open the downloaded archive you copy everything across to the usb as it is. I dont see any reason it should work for us and not for you. I dont know if your usb disc needs to be formated to fat rather than ntfs? Mine are all in fat as share them with my mac.
carled

Post by carled »

Nope. Still nothing. It's insane! The reflash to original o/s works just fine. Telnet is enabled (I get an atom login) but I can't log in, no matter what combinations I try. I then use the ssh enable script and that kills telnet but I can get in with ssh and using joggler/joggler.

USB is same one that works for reflash and ssh enabling, formatted to fat, all files are copied to stick, no "remove for new installation" file, the joggler just boots to the normal o/s when I start it with that usb stick with pnp3 on it... :x

Here's my usb root:
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

carled wrote:Nope. Still nothing. It's insane!
Hmm. That looks OK. I have flashed a Joggler so it is now a clean, unmodified stock o2 pre-update image. I am now downloading PnP III from 1st post to try this for myself...

Will report back in 12-15 minutes...
Max

Post by Max »

mb1 wrote:Something's definitely not quite right with network connections and PnP III. I had - for the first time ever - to put in my network settings manually for it to all work.

Now Google Calendar is whinging that there's no internet connection (when there is). Also, the Accuweather worked once when I added my local town, but now keeps saying "Error downloading data. Please check your network connection."

I don't think this is a PNPIII problem. Google Calendar fails on both my Jogglers with the same error. One has PNPIII and the other still has the old GForums PNP from a year or so ago. Calendar was definitely working early in the weekend. I wonder if someone at O2 or Google has done something...

Very annoying.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

offbeatdave wrote:
Hmm. That looks OK. I have flashed a Joggler so it is now a clean, unmodified stock o2 pre-update image. I am now downloading PnP III from 1st post to try this for myself...

Well, 7 minutes in and it's still doing it's thing so it would appear you are just very unlucky with the USB stick! Didn't realise PnP III was so fussy though! I've used a range of sticks as chronicled elsewhere and never had a problem with any of them running anything!
carled

Post by carled »

offbeatdave wrote:
Well, 7 minutes in and it's still doing it's thing so it would appear you are just very unlucky with the USB stick! Didn't realise PnP III was so fussy though! I've used a range of sticks as chronicled elsewhere and never had a problem with any of them running anything!
This is what I don't understand though... why would the other 2 uses of the stick work? (reflash and ssh script) if pnp3 is going to baulk at the usb stick? Seems very unlikely...

Is there any way I can manually mount it and run it?
Max

Post by Max »

Max wrote:
mb1 wrote:Something's definitely not quite right with network connections and PnP III. I had - for the first time ever - to put in my network settings manually for it to all work.

I don't think this is a PNPIII problem. Google Calendar fails on both my Jogglers with the same error. One has PNPIII and the other still has the old GForums PNP from a year or so ago. Calendar was definitely working early in the weekend. I wonder if someone at O2 or Google has done something...

Very annoying.
Following up on my own post.

I did a strings dump of /openpeak/gui/apps/op_google_calendar/main.swf and the url it looks like it using is:

https://www.google.com/accounts/ClientLogin

Which in a browser responds with:

Error=BadAuthentication

Which is nice. A quick search on google gives me:

https://developers.google.com/accounts/ ... talledApps

Which says it's being retired. Not looking good.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

offbeatdave wrote:

Sorry, got distracted by some late-night pruning outside. 11min 54 seconds on a clean o2 (blue icons) Joggler and all is good in the Joggler world again. Can only think it's a corrupted download or USB stick issue.
Positivity

Post by Positivity »

Positivity wrote: I am finding that Squeezeplay keeps quitting to the main OpenPeak menu screen - the music keeps playing but obviously I can't select any other music or see what is playing. If I run Squeezeplay again the music stops playing and then resumes from the start of the track. I updated Squeezeplay to v1.46 from within the player but this did not fix the problem. Has anyone else seen this behaviour? Is it the OS or the player (never had the problem on the O2 OS)?
offbeatdave wrote: Have never had this issue before! Hopefully someone else will point you in the right direction. Sorry!
Thanks for the quick response offbeatdave - I wasn't expecting that! I have trawled the forum a bit more and found an older post describing the same behaviour which suggests it is down to the home screen application (opphone.swf) restarting. I might try the suggested fix of bypassing the home GUI just to see if that really is the problem, although I would still prefer to have the home screen if I can, having become bizarrely fixated on Find the Suspect. Have to wait until the weekend now, when I will next get time to soak test.