Topping amp for Squeezeplay/Joggler?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
multiplex

Topping amp for Squeezeplay/Joggler?

Post by multiplex »

I'm looking to replace an old JVC micro CD/Tape/Radio in the bedroom with my Joggler running Squeezeplay.
The audio/speakers on the Joggler are OK for sound effects but not good enough for music, I'm thinking that the JVC speakers are OK so I need an Amp that I can use, permanently powered and connected to the Jogger, without any annoying hiss or hum that would keep me awake.

I've noticed a couple of comments from here about folk using the Topping TP30 with their Jogglers...

Do you use USB or Analogue?
Is it quiet when idle?
do you recommend any particulay e-bay seller?

hawsey

Re: Topping amp for Squeezeplay/Joggler?

Post by hawsey »

Yes the Topping tp 30 is on my next gadget to buy list also, for the bedroom for me as well .I know it likes very sensative speakers from looking at the reviews.
I would just suck it and see with your JVC speakers as they might be the wrong impedance
A nice little pair of Q Aucoustics or some little JBL control monitors are on my shopping list .
I would like to hear from anyone with a working Tp 30 as well
A couple of questions
What speakers are people using
Are you using the DAC
I have also seen a thread elsewhere about using one with a battery connected to a solar panel!! As they are so low powered and so is the Joggler it would be great to have free music in the bedroom :-)
Just found this thread for info
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... &start=240
Just had a trawl around and found this blog about setting up a tp with a joggler from Richard Appleby (are you on here Richard :-))
http://richardappleby.wordpress.com/tag/music/
Happy Joggling
multiplex

Post by multiplex »

Old speakers are 4 Ohm :-) - not sure how sensitive though...

For folk who use the UDB/DAC - what O/S are you using - Native or other (not sure that really matters now that Rhubarb! has the Squeezeplay O/S)

Have now started contemplating moving the Boom from the kitchen or even getting another one - oh I wish I could be impulsive!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Boom ? :)
Happy Joggling
multiplex

Post by multiplex »

Squeezebox Boom - I had some Squeeze hardware before I fond the wonderful Joggler - probably wouldn't have got the touch (even at the price I paid) if I'd known...

Boom is nice but no longer made. Much smaller than you imagine from the pictures.
Obviously if I put the Boom in the bedroom I'd put the Jogger with some speakers in the kitchen but then I can be more lax about the amp not keeping me awake :-)
multiplex

Post by multiplex »

Actually I had a play last night and those JVC speakers as so efficient I may just get away with connecting them direct to the headphone output...
florca

Post by florca »

Still very happy with mine after nine+ months, no hum or hiss, drives Wharfedale 9.1s perfectly. Using the USB DAC which sounds much better than the Joggler analogue out.

Not measured power consumption but the unvented case never even gets warm, so should be no problem leaving it on 24/7. One thing you might consider if using in a bedroom is that the blue LED around the volume knob is pretty bright, so maybe worth opening up to disconnect?

Can't recommend the combination enough - or remember which eBay seller I used!

Phil
JonB

Post by JonB »

Topping TP amps are really well made, don't use much power when idle (T class amp) and sound great (if a wee bit bass light). The PCBs are works of art and have good quality components onboard. The Burr-Brown DAC is said to be a little mediocre but for the money it is unbeatable. Mine's driving a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds easily, and sounds great to me. No hiss on idle either.

Sorry, sounds a bit partisan - I don't work for them but I have been very impressed. And I'm an ex hi fi buff too..

Wdit : I just checked out the eBay prices for the TP30. It's twice what I paid for mine now! Still a good deal, but still... the greedy sods... :evil:
andyf

Post by andyf »

I'm using a topping TP32 with my Joggler and running the Squeeze OS. It's used in USB DAC mode and I'm very pleased with it so far.

Ebay seller was called apdigi, and it shipped pretty quickly from Hong Kong. It was also the cheapest TP32, when factoring in shipping costs.
sixedup

Post by sixedup »

hawsey wrote:Just had a trawl around and found this blog about setting up a tp with a joggler from Richard Appleby (are you on here Richard :-))
http://richardappleby.wordpress.com/tag/music/
I am now :-)
Cheers
Richard
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Welcome to the forum Richard ;-)
Your blog shows what you can get for little over 100 pound (true hi fi set up on a budget )
Is the Amp /Joggler still going strong ?
Tied in with my purchace of a Topping is the decoration of our bedroom arghhhh :-(
Gary
Happy Joggling
sixedup

Post by sixedup »

Yes, the TP30 is still going strong. Sound is great; sweet, clear and musical.

As you'd expect for a little 10w chip-amp, it does have it's limitations, but those are almost implicit in this type of tiny amp; they just don't have big current reserves available. That just means that you're never going to drive big, or inefficient speakers hard, and some types of music (with big slams of sudden bass) will never sound as impressive as an amp with a big high-current power supply. But you're buying the TP30 for other reasons (size, low power, convenience of in-built USB DAC, price) so its a reasonable trade-off.

Hope the redecoration went well!
Cheers
Richard