New OpenPeak firmware update (30th April 2012)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
offbeatdave

Re: New OpenPeak firmware update (30th April 2012)

Post by offbeatdave »

Thanks Buzz. Really appreciate the fact that you have fostered a link between a major corp. and the people!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
roobarb!

New OpenPeak firmware update (30th April 2012)

Post by roobarb! »

Great stuff - nice to hear they're going to the effort of getting the latest version from OpenPeak.

In case you're reading this, O2 devs, could you please make sure that the /etc/.usb-key file for checksumming updates from a USB stick is present? It would make installing new apps from a stick so much simpler in the future, and help keep the device more secure (plus end-users won't need to dive into telnet to enable installations).

Ta! :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
magnus pym

Post by magnus pym »

Well if the O2 techies are reading this, I'd like to know which genius decided removing upnp connection? It makes no sense referring to feeds like traffic and news when upnp is a basic function of the joggler with no external dependencies.
david_f1976

Post by david_f1976 »

None of my Jogglers have updated yet, but seen this on another forum for fixing ssh
Why SSHD is broken after the joggler upgrade.

# sshd
sshd: error while loading shared libraries: libgssapi_krb5.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#
When the upgrade happens the following library where upgraded

# cd /usr/lib
# ls -l libgss*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 167832 May 10 08:30 libgssapi_krb5.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 167832 Apr 7 2009 libgssapi_krb5.so.2.2
#
So you need to create a symbolic link back for the old version of the library the SSHD is trying to load.

# ln -s libgssapi_krb5.so libgssapi_krb5.so.2
The other thing that happens is that the /etc/init.d/S69boot.sshd script gets reverted so you need to remove the keyword OFF that is in this file.

export PATH="${PATH:+$PATH:}/usr/sbin:/sbin"

case "$1"OFF in
start)
check_privsep_dir

UPDATE: And make sure /etc/ssh/sshd_config has the following configuration entries

PermitRoot yes
UsePAM no
From here:

http://www.homeautomationhub.com/content/eek
mrw

Post by mrw »

I have noticed that ensuring telnet access is available by setting nvram's 'net.login' to 'YES' can no longer be relied upon. I am finding that, after a few minutes, the nvram setting is being mysteriously reset to 'NO', behind my back. I've never noticed this behaviour before, and it applies to each of my 'pre' and 'post' upgrade Jogglers.

The consequence is that telnet doesn't start up when the device is next booted up, even though I thought I'd told it otherwise !

Possibly the O2/Openpeak server is resetting it to 'NO' when the Joggler periodically phones home. Perhaps no bad thing, either, although it would be nice to have a user configurable setting. Perhaps a mini-app to stop/start the telnet or ssh server at will. That shouldn't be hard, I think.

I don't know whether anyone else can cast light on this. Anyway, be prepared !
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

mrw wrote:I have noticed that ensuring telnet access is available by setting nvram's 'net.login' to 'YES' can no longer be relied upon. I am finding that, after a few minutes, the nvram setting is being mysteriously reset to 'NO', behind my back. I've never noticed this behaviour before, and it applies to each of my 'pre' and 'post' upgrade Jogglers.

The consequence is that telnet doesn't start up when the device is next booted up, even though I thought I'd told it otherwise !

Possibly the O2/Openpeak server is resetting it to 'NO' when the Joggler periodically phones home. Perhaps no bad thing, either, although it would be nice to have a user configurable setting. Perhaps a mini-app to stop/start the telnet or ssh server at will. That shouldn't be hard, I think.

I don't know whether anyone else can cast light on this. Anyway, be prepared !
There is some weird behaviour going on. One of my many Jogglers updated today (so therefore yuo'd think the update was using recent software) and telnet works fine with 'root' as the login, just like my other auto updated Jogglers and 'forced' updated Jogglers.
mrw

Post by mrw »

offbeatdave wrote:There is some weird behaviour going on.
I think it may have started today, or last night. I had no problem yesterday telnetting into my newly upgraded Joggler.

It's just the nvram setting that is being changed, the telnet daemon is not being stopped. But of course it will, when the upgrade is applied ! So I shall lose telnet access to my 'unupgraded' Joggler, when it is eventually upgraded.

I guess it's not such a good idea for a system to allow a passwordless login to be permanently enabled. :)
aemortimer

Post by aemortimer »

Have had the software update for my Joggler but now I can't set time and date. O2 gurus seem unable or willing to help me. Is anyone able to advise on this issue ?
Many thanks. Adrian.E.Mortimer.
mrw

Post by mrw »

aemortimer wrote:Have had the software update for my Joggler but now I can't set time and date.
Mine has a 'Settings' app with a 'Date' sub-setting app. Yours doesn't ?
monkums

Post by monkums »

One of my Jogglers updated the morning after being turn off for a couple of days and I think it has only partially updated as there is blank space and missing icons:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/nntWF ... Hvwo8ow6nk

BBC live is still there but Squeezeplayer isn't.

Telnet is not working either. Try connecting using Putty and it closes immediately.
samk

Post by samk »

Seems that the latest new software (30291 with firmware 8964) doesn't allow Telnet access and the previous method of enabling Telnet doesn't work (for me anyway)

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=565

Any Joggler wizards out there who know how to fix this?
jkn

Post by jkn »

New issue, sigh...

is there a difference between the old and new photos & videos apps?

I had some .flv files, copied from a USB drive, on my original PnP joggler. Now neither an O2-upgraded nor a PnP II joggler will read the files from a USB drive.

I'm going to try a different drive, but I'm pretty sure this one read OK previously. It's formatted VFAT.

Would be great to find a way to stop upgrades occuring in future, my PnP II joggler has just re-upgraded, losing me eg. Squeezeplay and Radio...

Cheers
J^n
jkn

Post by jkn »

Doh, ignore my above posting ... just tried again with a different pendrive and all is fine, wrt. this aspect at least.

Cheers, Jon N
nicwatters

Post by nicwatters »

I think my Joggler has tried to be updated today - but I now have the Open Peak flash screen constantly rebooting. Does anyone know if the update we could previously download (Hope we get the new version soon.)- effectively rebuilds the image from scratch - I had previously moded it with PnP and Squeese Centre?

Has anyone else had the same problem?
deongorle

Post by deongorle »

TELNET PROBLEM

Same problem for me, received the 'newer' over the air update last night (11th May) and since then NO telnet access. Have tried the old methods of enabling Telnet but no joy :( :( Hope someone can help.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

nicwatters wrote:I think my Joggler has tried to be updated today - but I now have the Open Peak flash screen constantly rebooting. Does anyone know if the update we could previously download (Hope we get the new version soon.)- effectively rebuilds the image from scratch - I had previously moded it with PnP and Squeese Centre?

Has anyone else had the same problem?
From what I've seen so far with over the air updates, they partially rebuild but some stuff on modded Jogglers gets left but may not work. The DIY USB stick update that was on here (temporarily removed) does rebuild the whole thing from scratch so absouletely nothing is left.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

deongorle wrote:TELNET PROBLEM

Same problem for me, received the 'newer' over the air update last night (11th May) and since then NO telnet access. Have tried the old methods of enabling Telnet but no joy :( :( Hope someone can help.
Odd, two of mine over the air updated last night and Telnet worked with 'root' as the username on both of them. Maybe the update was lurking on them for a day or two though before applying.
deongorle

Post by deongorle »

Hi Upbeatdave

Yeah i agree, never had a problem with telnet before (been using it on every release since day one). Ive used roobarbs/birdslikewires Joggler reflash tool and reverted it back to the original O2 firmware temporarily for the time being (untill the new OP firmware gets released next week), and Telnet works perfectly again (after installing it of course). Im hoping because ive reverted to original stock that it might update again over the air in the next few days or so....and hopefully (fingers crossed) Telnet might work this time. I cant find the most recent version of the OP firmware to download anywhere to flash via USB, if anyone knows where it is a little heads up would be appreiciated ;) ;)
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

don't think we've got the most recent one. We only had the first one, which i believe was flawed, hence it's removal for the moment. Think we've been almost promised the new one eventually though. Check buzz's post on here or the similar thread.
ordessa

Post by ordessa »

Mine 2nd Joggler suddenly rebooted today... I assumed it got an OAD... and its stuffed

Stuck on an O2 screen...

I'll reflash it to old Firmware... and back to PNPII again..but I'm getting bored now !