ubuntu / xubuntu 12.04 (precise pangolin)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
BuZz
Site Admin

ubuntu / xubuntu 12.04 (precise pangolin)

Post by BuZz »

In progress - had to fix my xbmc packages and stuff. there is an Xorg issue - im likely to pull in oneiric repos, and try and pin the xserver packages from there, otherwise im going to have to rebuild xserver 1.10 or so for 12.04.

I'll hopefully have something soon - I just did an update on iplayer plugin and xbmc4xbox, and so I have been a little busy (excluding real paid work) :)
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: ubuntu / xubuntu 12.04 (precise pangolin)

Post by BuZz »

Was really hoping intel would have an emgd update soon. since the demise? (stupid killing of - unless it has been continued by the community who did more than they did anyway) of meego im not sure what they are doing now :/
tmohammad

Post by tmohammad »

Cant wait for 12.04....
manaesh

Post by manaesh »

Hi Buzz

Id be very interested in the 12.04 release as well!

Cheers

Mike
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Almost there...
tmohammad

Post by tmohammad »

Brilliant Buzz... I really cant wait for this.

Thanks for your hard work making our jogglers a lot more useful.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

got a couple of issues with the on screen keyboard, so it is delayed slightly. it may be after the weekend now sorry - since I am due at a retro gamer event on Saturday.
tmohammad

Post by tmohammad »

No worries ... Beggars cant be choosers! We can wait...
tomaszd

Post by tomaszd »

Don't hurry, make it work well :)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Will do my best. been working all night on stuff - from vaapi testing and joggler package updates - for example I will have a vaapi enabled mplayer on my ppa so I can manage updates properly. I'll be doing an upgrade to jolios also (new kernel and switching to maverick 1.9 xserver from the ppa ones which have now gone). ill also be doing 12.04 with the same old xserver since vaapi works then.

I believe intel may be doing an emgd 1.12 release at the end of this month too, or at least I read something that suggested that.

I'll be cutting back on the number of releases I do I think. I think the number I have done already was perhaps overkill. It might be that after 12.04, unless something new and interesting comes out, I might stick to the LTS releases more and just do general package updates. But we shall see.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Well, I for one really appreciate the effort you put into this, BuZz. Your releases have taught me a lot, too.

Concentrating on LTS releases may be no bad thing - at least then you might get chance to use your Jogglers! ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
manxam

Post by manxam »

I, too, really appreciate all of your work Buzz. I'm really looking forward to 12.04 with working VAAPI. I STILL don't like joli :P
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

manxam wrote:I STILL don't like joli :P
Boo! :mrgreen:
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

It will have. Although xbmc playback with h264 seems to skip some frames in an odd fasion. a few frames every few seconds some scenes worse than others. i assume its related to the driver. mplayer seems to work better but does throw some warnings. I tested mplayer again with 1920x1080 and it handled it.

the next update will be joli os, xubuntu and ubuntu 12.04. joli os kept up to date as it is the one i use. I have just built an mplayer package with vaapi for lucid (joli os) and will do one for 12.04 also

https://launchpad.net/~jools/+archive/j ... hive-extra
kappa__2

Post by kappa__2 »

Hi Buzz.
Any chance to get the PVR version of xbmc with this update?
I know that its possible to change it afterwards (by adding a new repository), but there is the matter of the touchscreen not working... :(

thanks.
Last edited by kappa__2 on Fri May 11, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

touchscreen will work. unless im missing some info. im pulling down versions of xserver to 1.9. im patching up stuff like lightdm to work with it (parameter issue). the xserver touchcsreen patches should all be good, although i might rebase them to an earlier evdev to avoid some keyboard "language" issues.
tomaszd

Post by tomaszd »

You know what BuZz, how about a Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Server release that has the minimal amount of Joggler-specific fixes applied? I am aware it still wouldn't be much of a "real" server release, because you're rolling your own kernels and you'd have to track security updates, but I use my joggler with your 11.10 xubuntu release almost exclusively via remote command line and remote web interfaces. Not sure if many other people do too and if there'd be any interest.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

tomaszd wrote:You know what BuZz, how about a Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Server release that has the minimal amount of Joggler-specific fixes applied? I am aware it still wouldn't be much of a "real" server release, because you're rolling your own kernels and you'd have to track security updates, but I use my joggler with your 11.10 xubuntu release almost exclusively via remote command line and remote web interfaces. Not sure if many other people do too and if there'd be any interest.
You mean something like this? It's Ubuntu (Lucid) Server with BuZz's 2.6.38.4joggler1 kernel, so it's not the most recent, but it certainly works.

Alternatively, you could use SqueezePlay OS and just remove SqueezePlay. That's a debootstrap-installed Lucid with 3.2.16 kernel. Should take about 2 minutes to remove the SqueezePlay bits.

If you're insistent on Precise, then at some point in the future I'll probably roll sqpOS up to that, but as I piggy-back on all of BuZz's hard work, I'll be waiting until he's happy with the x.org 1.9 changes or Intel release an updated driver (and BuZz packages it! ;) ).
tomaszd

Post by tomaszd »

Exactly like this :) I'll wait for 12.04 :)
kappa__2

Post by kappa__2 »

BuZz wrote:touchscreen will work. unless im missing some info. im pulling down versions of xserver to 1.9. im patching up stuff like lightdm to work with it (parameter issue). the xserver touchcsreen patches should all be good, although i might rebase them to an earlier evdev to avoid some keyboard "language" issues.
Well with your release (oneric) i had an issue with the touchscreen, when updating xbmc to pvr. The cursor would go all the way to the left turning impossible to activate any function with the touchscreen.
I've tried with ubuntu and xubuntu, with the same results.

I hope this info helps.